Returning almost victorious

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Kaleth the reaper
Corsair

Returning almost victorious

Post by Kaleth the reaper »

Hello fellow druchii.
I've participated in the biggest tournament of the BENELUX ( Belgium The Netherlands and Luxemburg)
named Full Tilt and I can say it was an almost succeeded in taking home first price.

It was a 2000 P tournament with 2 scenarios and a piched battle.

- First opponent: Empire with war altar, steam tank, cannon, knights...

I massacred him by over 2500 points as he only had his steamtank and I had only lost half the wounds of my dragon.

- Second opponent: Vampire counts; 3 vamps wight lorg BSB in grave guard, 6 blood knights gouls, skelletons.

Another massacre as I slayed every one exept half the grave guard and 3 knights.

- And then the final battle (for first place!!) against deamons of slaanesh with graeter deamon, fiends, alot of deamonnettes and mounted deamonettes :cry:
The only army in the tournament that could outmaneuvre mine.

In round 3 all hope seemed lost and i was going to be massacred, but i fougth back and I managed to minimize the damage to a solid loss.

Out of 132 players I still ended 14th and made the deamonplayer end 2nd in stead of first (big consolation).

Side rant:

I couldn't help to notice though that out of 132 payers, 50 where deamons and none of them ended lower than 70th place
winning everything exept battles against their own (wich would be draws).
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Yeah, Daemons of Chaos seem to be the most powerful (tournament) army these days.

Still, congratulations for your achievement. 14th of 132 is a very good placing. :D

Bye
Thanee
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Great job! Care to reveal the list you used, and a few (short) batreps?
Kaleth the reaper
Corsair

Dreadlord: black dragon 545 P
- Armour of darkness
- Pendant of Kaleth
- crimson death

Master: Heavy armour,shield, seadragon cloak, great weapon, BSB 159 P
- ring of darkness

Sorceress: 150 P
2 * scroll

5 Dark riders: Crossbows, 110 P

10 Crossbowmen: 100 P

10 Crossbowmen: 100 P

9 Shades: 144 P

19 Black Guards: Full Command 342 P
- Ring of hotek
- Banner of Hag Graef

War Hydra 175 P

War Hydra 175 P

As for the battles: first one was dominion.
you got points for every zone you got (less for your own deployment zone, more for enemy deployment zone.)

As I said, first oponent was empire:

war altar
that guy had a mirror wich gave him my stats + sword of might

warrior priest (dont know what he had)

wizzard (don't know what he had)

BSB (again: don't know what he had)

2 blocks of 10 swordsmen with detachments
5 pistoleers
5 outriders
5 knights of inner circle
8 knights
steam tank
great cannon

I made an assault with my dragon into the flank of his inner circle.
but it was a "trap" as he fled and would leave my lord open for a charge of the war altar.
Instead I caught them and flew myself against the altar destroying it in 3 turns.

The 2nd unit of knights fled as shot them with with crossbows and hydra fire.
the outriders lay dead at the points of shade bolts as did the pistoleers.
and the swordsmen where driven in a corner by BG where they where ritually disembowled :twisted: .

It was all over (exept for the steam tank) in turn 4.

Second scenario was messagers.
(you got 4 messagers who had to get off the table in the other one's
deployment zone (messagers had movement 5) each messager was worth
100 points at the sides and 200 points straight trough the middle).

His army:
vamp general
vamp
vamp
wight king bsb

20 skelletons
20 skelletons
20 grave guard
6 blood knights
10 wolves

I started deployment at one side with some crossbows, my BG and a hydra as he ignored it and deployed his force at the other flank.
I then deployed the other hydra, some more cb , dark riders and my dragon in fornt of his units.

Last I deployed my messengers behind the BG.

I had 1th turn and boxed in his army as my BG and hydra moved in forming a square with my dragon and 2nd hydra and 2 table edges.
leaving no harm for my messegers to move to the end zone.

and for the vamps: I outmaneuvred them aiain and again, leaving only charred remains of skelletons by flame attacks and broken bones at the hand of my dragon and BG.

His messegers didn't make it either as they turned into pincushions by the hands of crossbowmen, shades and dark riders alike.

Final battle => Deamons of slaanesh

greater deamon of slaanesh

herald of slaanesh: steed of slaanesh
herald of slaanesh: bsb

12 deamonnettes
12 deamonettes
18 deamonettes (bsb in here)

2 fiends
5 mounted deamonettes (can't remember the correct name=>seekers?)
8 furies

pitched battle

Mistake N° 1: underestimating slaaneshi movement value.
He was charging my crossbowmen and shades in turn 2

Mistake n° 2: facing my dragonlord to his greater deamon, who forced my lord to charge or flee.
Ofcourse I charged as I am not a cowardly high elf, only to hear his deamon has 7 attacks S6 with armourpearcing and ASF.

To make matters worse, he cast a spell giving his deamon rerolls to hit and wound.
My dragon died faster than I could say curse ulthuan and send my lord running in terror.

My hydra's got stupid by spells and where roaming around the table without direction.

Before my shades died however they managed to shoot off 2 wounds off the greater deamon.

One of my stupid hydra's was charged by his seekers who killed the handlers,
the hydra in return sent the herald back to the wastes.
but to no avail; I was flanked, outnumbered , had no banner and lost another -2 leadership
because of a magical banner the seekers had with them, and my hydra ran like a slave and was overrun.

At long last my BG had reached his large unit of deamonettes and charged.
His herald declared a challenge wich my BSB happily accepted by chopping it to pieces.
I won combat but the following turn the BG where charged in the rear by the keeper.
the following combat phases he slowly but surely slew all the BG who refused to flee in the face of death.
And in the very last turn the last one fell,
leaving my BSB to stand alone and not benefit from the ITP that kept me from breaking.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Keeper of Secrets has only 6 attacks (well, "only" :P), and the spell you have in mind does not allow for rerolled wounds, only to-hit rolls.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kaleth the reaper
Corsair

Then I got owned big time.
If he only had 6 attacks, then 1 of my BG would still be alive, and I would still have about 400 points more.

This guy was trying all sorts of things, I thought he didn't cheat me because I commented alot on his moves.
guess this one slipped trough :(

man, even with a powerfull army like deamons and he still has to cheat to win.
Duke daedric
Cold One Knight

Post by Duke daedric »

Well I guess that some people want to win more than others...

It kinda sickens me when someone deliberatly gives false info...

..don't know how that got trough on the turney tough
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is the Assassin Bunny.
He has been specially trained by "the Old man of the Mountain".
He looks cute and than bites off your aorta when you least expect it.. ;)
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Well, the Torment Blade in the DOC book (which is allowed for KoS to buy) states it is a hand weapon. 6 Att in profile, all models have standard hand weapons --> extra hand weapon = extra attack.
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Ehakir wrote:Well, the Torment Blade in the DOC book (which is allowed for KoS to buy) states it is a hand weapon. 6 Att in profile, all models have standard hand weapons --> extra hand weapon = extra attack.

Unless its listed as an additional hand weapon (like the Dagger of Hotek), it can't be combined with the characters magic weapon.
Last edited by Rabidnid on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

hm, that's interesting, didn't think about it (just got used to thinking that all Keepers have temptator, siren song and soul hunger (which, by the way, apparently was the reason why the Keeper in this example re-rolled his to-wound rolls).
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

Rabidnid wrote:
Ehakir wrote:Well, the Torment Blade in the DOC book (which is allowed for KoS to buy) states it is a hand weapon. 6 Att in profile, all models have standard hand weapons --> extra hand weapon = extra attack.

Unless its listed as an additional hand weapon (like the Dagger of Hotek), it can't be combined with the characters magic weapon.

If it would have been a magic item you would be right. However, daemonic gifts are not magic items and does not fall under the same rules. They are more like the VC powers, cannot be negated by magic or magic items and so on.

So he did not cheat(least not on that part!)
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Duke daedric
Cold One Knight

Post by Duke daedric »

...well no matter if he cheated or not...

...I say BURN HIIIIM!!!!!! :twisted:
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is the Assassin Bunny.
He has been specially trained by "the Old man of the Mountain".
He looks cute and than bites off your aorta when you least expect it.. ;)
Kaleth the reaper
Corsair

Then I stand corrected, I still agree with Dude Daeric though :twisted: .
Against dark elves;
You can run but you'll just die tired.
Or you can fight and you'll just die.
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

Hey, I was too at Full Tilt!! I participated with Wood Elves (hadn't my Dark Elves painted yet), but you did way better then me. I became 88st :oops: , but I got a reason, I faced Deamons (got massacred) and a heavy magic WoC (again he massacred me), I hate magic heavy, because I only had 4 DD en 2 scrolls...
Anyway, very nice job, you did well at the ournament. And yes, DoC and VC are very overpowered, but the DE aren't that bad either ;) , we can beat them, it's just very hard :roll: .
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Doriili bariiliia
Raiding Baron

Re: Returning almost victorious

Post by Doriili bariiliia »

Kaleth the reaper wrote:Hello fellow druchii.
I've participated in the biggest tournament of the BENELUX ( Belgium The Netherlands and Luxemburg)
named Full Tilt and I can say it was an almost succeeded in taking home first price.

It was a 2000 P tournament with 2 scenarios and a piched battle.

- First opponent: Empire with war altar, steam tank, cannon, knights...

I massacred him by over 2500 points as he only had his steamtank and I had only lost half the wounds of my dragon.

- Second opponent: Vampire counts; 3 vamps wight lorg BSB in grave guard, 6 blood knights gouls, skelletons.

Another massacre as I slayed every one exept half the grave guard and 3 knights.

- And then the final battle (for first place!!) against deamons of slaanesh with graeter deamon, fiends, alot of deamonnettes and mounted deamonettes :cry:
The only army in the tournament that could outmaneuvre mine.

In round 3 all hope seemed lost and i was going to be massacred, but i fougth back and I managed to minimize the damage to a solid loss.

Out of 132 players I still ended 14th and made the deamonplayer end 2nd in stead of first (big consolation).

Side rant:

I couldn't help to notice though that out of 132 payers, 50 where deamons and none of them ended lower than 70th place
winning everything exept battles against their own (wich would be draws).

Congrats on your exceptional placing I can only dream of placing so well.
"Khaine is pleased with my service brother, I care little for your opinion. The Old world is my playground. Our family lands in Naggaroth are yours."
Clivegh
Trainee Warrior

Post by Clivegh »

Congrads! It sounds like there are very heavy armies out on the other side of the pond! You did great given what you had to play against.

I always wonder why all DOC armies do not take the -2LD Banner as it universaly effects everyone in a major way as in comparison to other DOC banners. (BG LD 7 Stubborn, COK LD 7 Stupity, Hammers LD 7 Stubborn, Great Swords (LD6 stubborn) and so. It can pretty much stop a OG, Empire, and to some point Skaven army dead. Add Terror cjecks to that....
Its all about movement and tactics. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

I agree that the deamons are a little over the top. We have a kid at the LGS (around 10, I'd say), who's father put together a deamon army for him. Granted, the father needs to "assist" the kid so he doesn't forget what his army can do, but even without the assistance it's pretty nasty.

The WoC also seem a bit too much. When the same father commented to me the other day "I think the new WoC book is well put together. I've gone 17-0-2 with the army, and the 2 draws were against other chaos armies," I start questioning the balance of the army. I'll admit, the guy is good, but everyone else can't be that bad.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari