Why are chariots extinct?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Columind
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Portugal - the country everybody thinks belongs to Spain...arg

Why are chariots extinct?

Post by Columind »

I'm curious to why people pretty much don't use chariots anymore...is it because of the ST7+ creep of last years?
Or is it because of hatred and the danger that comes from having a chariot running around chasing weak cheap and sacrificial enemy units?
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

My reason? Because the models appear a bit ... um ... stupid ... on the table next to my awesome looking cold one knights.

I think they are great in game terms. With improvement in armor save, equipment, strength, and leadership, they are really a bargain at 100 points each.
Truly These are the End Times ...
The skaerkrow
Noble

Post by The skaerkrow »

I run two chariots, and have done so for quite some time now.

GW has actually been making strides to reduce the number of Strength 7 units in the game, lately. While every army (barring Wood Elves) seems to have at least one thing that can break Chariots open, they don't tend to have more than one (the older armies notwithstanding).

The boost in effectiveness that our Chariots received with the 7th Edition book (+1 Charioteer Strength, +1 Armor Save, +1 Leadership, free RXBs) makes them an attractive and wholly legitimate competitor to Cold One Knights, in my opinion. Inflicting D6+1 Impact hits, two Strength 5 attacks and two Strength 4 attacks on the charge will make nearly anyone take notice, and against foes that don't have S7 attacks in their army, it usually proves to be one of our single most durable units (after the Dragon and the War Hydra).

Honestly, I think the biggest enemies to chariots right now are the popularity of Black Guard, the brilliant new models that Cold One Knights received and the lack of a Chariot model for Dark Elves (AFAIK, the 6th Edition kit has been pulled).
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

I use two chariots in my standard list. They're great. I might be taking them to Devourer, if i don't take a COB list.
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Rob the dark elf
Executioner

Post by Rob the dark elf »

I take chariots all the time. I particularly like using them in smaller games as they are quite cheap and can prove quite effective as a shock unit (especially when they cause 7 strength 5 impact hits). If I'm feeling saucy I will even mount a master on one for Unit strength 5.
Chain
Executioner

Post by Chain »

Eventually I'll try adding some 5'th ed cold ones infront of a 5'th ed Chaos Chariot to go as my chariot, not sure how it'll look though ^^'

Well One thing good about 6'th ed cold ones would be:
They look more like Cave lizards then any other cold ones made and they're supposed to be living in caves...
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I have just converted my own plastic one from the high elves, and plan on running 2 or more in 2000-2250 point games. They are very effective, though I am a big fan of chariots rules aside anyway.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

I don't take them because I face VC (who chariots are usually a waste of time against) and WoC who can run my chariots around with their excellent fast cav and dogs while smashing me with their own awesome khorne chariots.

Maybe when someone stars playing an actual breakable infantry army vs me, I'll use them. The new rules and price are great though.
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

sulla wrote:I don't take them because I face VC (who chariots are usually a waste of time against) and WoC who can run my chariots around with their excellent fast cav and dogs while smashing me with their own awesome khorne chariots.

Shouldn't you be doing that to them instead? I mean they're the ones with frenzy n' all.. ;)
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Chariots are support.
Used as support against the Undead, I have broken, entirely, through Undead units on the charge.

But its a Special Slot so sometimes they don't make my lists, but I really love chariots :[
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

Chariots are great when you run infantry, and need some manoeuvrable hitty units with long threat range to keep away all those enemy support units that can be really unpleasant for your infantry.

The way I view the DE army list now, if you don't go for either guerilla tactics (evade and shoot) or cauldron-backed elites (a list that uses special slots to generate a lot of ACR), then you need some SCR, and hence would run a few units of warriors. In such a list, two chariots would be an excellent use for your special slots.
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

I used one before the new book, but since then I haven't found the use for it. BG / shades being more interesting right now.
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Not even as character mounts? No Special that way.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Layne wrote:Not even as character mounts? No Special that way.

I still love the chariots as character mounts, seeing as it becomes US5 then it's brilliant to hang back and then smash into flanks... and the models ain't bad, they're just outdated. I might actually buy some of the new cold one knights (and maybe order some more cold one models) to get my chariots up to date, so to speak.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

They are still awesome, but you need to be careful that's all.

I usually run 2 chariots in my list because they provide awesome support to my armies.
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I love the chariots, they just don't have a job in my current army. I use them in pairs when I do.
So far I own two, but I plan another two for character mounts.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

Layne wrote:Not even as character mounts? No Special that way.

No, I am learning my way around the druchii atm after years of non playing.
My combat characters are either on foot in the BG or on the Manticore for fast enemies.

Dwarves being my most common enemy can bring to much S7 shooting.
Also playing in a campaign with 1000-1250 pts I just don't find the place.
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

True, a chariot is a luxury in small battles, and a vanity in a plague of S7. In those small battles, if you have a chariot and he has a cannon, you won't have a chariot for long ey? Unless you can get some Harpies or DR in his face quicksmart.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

I dont believe the chariot is extinct. I believe that it may not be the current trend at the moment.
Some time ago I saw a thread started by Carlisson about Exec's. And in the following weeks I saw an increased concentration of lists including Exec's and more ''convert exec's'' threads.
Another reason why the Chariot might not be seen that much is because its a pretty straight forward unit. Everyone know how it works and how to best use it so It doesnt get discussed that much.
I generally tend to pick the chariot over the knights for no other reason than chariots are more reliable, serve my needs better, takes up less space and is wicked cool.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

In the old book a lot of armies had chariots but i guess now most people want to use something different. I remember when i was using the old CoB with 4 chariots. I love the figures.

Chariots are still great and a bargain and they will come back into fashion as the metagame is always changing. I find my chariot is good against daemons as it is soo tough.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Marauder Mitch2 wrote:I find my chariot is good against daemons as it is soo tough.

Indeed. Due to their high toughness and armor save, combined with a good charge range and ability to deal damage, chariots are probably one of our best options for dealing with Tzeentch Flamers.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

I used to use chariots quite a lot, the reason i have ditched them is:

a) loss of 2-1
b) Cold one knights now really kick bottom
c) Shades and Black guard now provide fierce competition for those slots.
d) The Hydra can perform the close infantry support role much better than it used to.

I dont think they are going to make a comeback in this edition of the game, not in uber competetive horse punching lists anyway
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

My problem is trying to fit everything in but i want to get a chariot in. At the moment i am trying a khaine themed list led by a blood witcch.

Chariots are also great agianst the new lizards as they can't be dive bombed and are really tough. Also the loss of S7 is a bonus.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

I'm going to agree with most everyone and state that the COC is not extinct, just often shuffled to the side in favor of our multitude of special choices. I used to often run a pair of them back when the hydra was inefficient as you could get both for less points in the 6th ed. rulebook. Now I get stuck running shades and CoK as they make my frequent opponents constantly second quess their gameplans.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Simple reason my chariots are currently shelved is that in Total Annihilation GT scenario they are worth 2 kill points instead of one. If they were 1 point cheaper I'd probably take them.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16