Best Dragonlord Set up

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Best Dragonlord Set up

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Since finding avoidance is going to struggle and taken Gary's advice. I am trying to figure out the best set up for a Dragon Lord.

Ii have 2 ideas, EJs idea and Ring of Darkness, Regen and CD.

What is the gewneral consensus??
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

I use + Caledors Bane, AoES, and 2 Null Talismans. (I've also got a caddy and the PoK BSB in my list)

I think the setup rather depends on what else you are running besides the Dragon Lord...
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

I never thought of that set up i like it. I will be going magic light so aany anti Beast Cowers protecftion is good and i can get the cauldron and BSb in as well.

Horror

Waerik
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Waerik »

I would prefer CD, AoD and three null talismans.

Lamekh's suggestion is also good in my opinion, albeit, I do not fancy using a lance.

I will be going magic light so aany anti Beast Cowers protecftion is good

This is the main reason why I like to have null talismans on a dragon lord, magic is in general it's biggest weakness (since unlike artiliey, it is much harder to cut the line of sight to it, since mages tend to be mobile).

Furthermore, since the ring of hotek does not offer any real protection against the beast cowers, the metal snipe etc (the chance to get any double is about 1/6 on two dice).
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

PoK, AoES and CD might be a slight overkill in the defensive area, but it sure gets the job done.
Dagger of assassination
Corsair

Post by Dagger of assassination »

I use the High strength setup and i think its useful.
Caledors bane, Potion of Strength and Pendant of Khaeleth.

I know people what says this setup sucks but i find it use full.
Through Hatred All Things Are Possible!
kynthuithalkein!
3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Because of S10 or longer lasting S7? The latter I'd understand but...
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

I like to used= AoD,PoK and Death Piercer.

For a dragon rider I think Armour of Darkness giving a 1+ save is better then AoES giving a 4+ ward and 3+ Armour
If you do the math against S5 or lower attacks the AoD is better for less points. Against S6 they are equal. Only against S7 or above and things that ignore armour is AoES better and it costs a considerable bit more plus is negated by flaming attacks.

The Pendant seems to me to be the obvious choice so your lord can pretty much ignore almost anything that attacks him especially with the Armour of Darkness for those low strength attacks.

I think the death piercer is useful as it gives you a high strength plus the chance to instant kill models like Vampire Lords etc. Would be tempted to drop it for a simple lance though- only 6 points and it gets the job done almost as well as most of our m,agic items.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
22over7
Dark Rider

Post by 22over7 »

Armour
I agree with Bounce (and others) that AoD offers better value for points over AoES, especially if you go for CD as your weapon choice (no sheild in CC).

Weapon
It then really comes down to a choice over whether you want a magic weapon or are happy to go mundane and PoS.
The top picks are:
Hydrablade (this combines well with PoS)
Heartseeker (this combines well with the PoK, longer combats)
Crimson Death
Death Piercer
Caledors' Bane

Talisman
The PoK, RoH or 2-3*Null Talismans seem to be the obvious choices. I think Ring of Darkness should be a secondary choice to magical protection as the Dragon Lord already has reasonable protection against shooting.

I think the truth is that there is not going to be a perfect choice in isolation from the broader game and your army. You have to factor in what role you want the DL to play and also not only what you are most likely to be facing but what will cause you the most problems.

As I am personally forbidding myself from using the PoK, my build is:
AoD
CD
3*NT
PoRHBs

With the PoK, I would go for: PoS, Heartseeker and PoK and full mundane.
When a young Malekith failed to complete his maths homework, Morathi was overheard saying to his friends "He's not the future Pheonix King, he's a very naughty boy".

DE 7ed W6/D3/L6
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Vaughan, that is true. As i have the pendant BSB the pendant is not a option. It is interesting but i think with the pendant and AoD is better than the regen especailly with the amount of flaming attacks.

I have stuck with the set up i have in the list but this is a interesting discussion as i feel the dragon will be more popular with Engines becoming more popular as i hate those things.

Horror