Corsair question

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Nicedoggy
Slave (off the Altar)

Corsair question

Post by Nicedoggy »

I've just started DE, and i really like corsair fluff and models but it seems like no one uses them.
Would it be viable to give them the frenzy banner and have them supported by the COB with either ward save out of combat or KB/1 more A? I might put in a master or assassin to help out with tougher things, but could is there any chance this could work?
The block would be about 15-20 models strong.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, it would work pretty nicely.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Nicedoggy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nicedoggy »

Thanks, would I have to screen it with some warriors to avoid being baited? Thats just something I would be worried about.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

EDIT: Goddamn Site Errors making me think I haven't posted. My bad. Layne-edit : also I deleted the wrong post, so I hope you remember what you said. Apologies.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The block would be about 15-20 models strong.

Corsairs often work well in rows of 7 rather than 5 (for maximising # of attacks rather than SCR). So the bloc could be 14 or 21 :).

I've just started DE, and i really like corsair fluff and models but it seems like no one uses them.

Gah, I'd use them more but the new models never rack up properly and spend most of the game falling over (particularly the standard bearer!).
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

I have the same problem with ranking them up, and my banner always falls over as well. I painted them nicely and love how they look, but they just have no place in my army right now, I don't play with a CoB so their effectiveness is situational for me, i.e. vs Vamps.
Malberoth grieftide
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malberoth grieftide »

Im planning on having a sizeable corsair base in my army if only for fluffs sake. From what i've read on here, they seem to be hit and miss at the best which isn't exactly heartening :P.

Thank Khaine the rest of you have had trouble ranking them up, i just thought id assembled them crappy. Does anybody equip them with handbows these days?
I'm riding a dinosaur, your argument is invalid.
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

yep, they make great screens and with handbows they can shoot the hell out of lightly armored troops before fleeing through my combat units.
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Corsair question

Post by Calisson »

Nicedoggy wrote:I've just started DE, and i really like corsair fluff and models but it seems like no one uses them.
You're enlisted in the Brotherhood! :D

hyperlink:
Brotherhood of the Coast – The Druchii Corsair League
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

deathknight27 wrote:Corsairs often work well in rows of 7 rather than 5 (for maximising # of attacks rather than SCR). So the bloc could be 14 or 21 .

Well I run them in units of 18, 3 ranks of 6. It gives them quite a wide frontage whilst still being quite mobile and rarely having to reform to move past terrain. Also the 2 ranks can provide some medium SCR to help swing the fight in your favour.

Zardock (Group 27)

Linkinhearts666
Dark Rider

Post by Linkinhearts666 »

I really like the corsair models, i think they are fantastic. To help em stop fallin over I weighted the bases with mini sheets of magnets (its how i use em in games w/ movement trays).

But rankin up is a real difficulty. haha I find i had to number them so that i new exactly where each one had to go so that they actually fit into the unit properly.

In terms of gaming, I refuse to leave them at home. Whilst not as hard as BG or any of that, they're a great support unit or even for shoootin lightly armoured troops as someone said. I run em as 7x2 generally with maybe a few extra models that I bought cos i had points left over. generally speaking tho, I try to include them where possible
Ayxxia the Shade is hiding in the shadows and waiting to attack...

Best way to get rid of a treeman is wait until the owner has it on the table in front of him and then kick him very hard in the groin from behind. When he doubles up and smacks his face intoit, he should wreck the treeman and it will teach the little bastard not to run a treeman at 750

Its the Druchii way of gaming!
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Well I run them in units of 18, 3 ranks of 6. It gives them quite a wide frontage whilst still being quite mobile and rarely having to reform to move past terrain. Also the 2 ranks can provide some medium SCR to help swing the fight in your favour.

Agreed, this can work too :) But certainly 6 or 7 per rank is better than 5 :)

But rankin up is a real difficulty. haha I find i had to number them so that i new exactly where each one had to go so that they actually fit into the unit properly.

I've thought about that, but it seems to be admitting defeat. I've actually clipped a few of the cloaks to make them fit better (trimmed to look somewhat natural). I don't understand why GW would make models that are quite as awkward as these :/
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

The old ones rank up quite nicely in general though.

The block of Corsairs with Frenzy is fun simply because you get to have 22 attacks in one go! Even if you still fail to kill anything rolling that many dice is fun.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The block of Corsairs with Frenzy is fun simply because you get to have 22 attacks in one go!

With rerolls for hatred XD

Don't be a munchkin?

Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

The CoB can either make sure the Corsairs have 22 attacks with killingblow, or 29 attacks without it. Thats alot of dices.

I'm getting more and more interrested in getting me some Corsairs. With Frenzy they're abit like WitchElves who have traded in their Poison for some armour.

Loss of Khainite is a shame though (since you have a CoB on the table.)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Minsc wrote:With Frenzy they're abit like WitchElves who have traded in their Poison for some armour.
That is the point.

About the debate on 5, 6 or 7-wide:
I see no use for 6-wide.
Either the opponent is soft, so you count on active combat resolution, and 7-wide is much better than 6 or 5.
Or the opponent is hard and you don't expect to win through Active Combat Resolution, then 5-wide provides a longer lasting rank bonus than 6 or 7.
6-wide is not optimized for anything and worse, the trade-off is often worse than either optimization towards ACR or SCR.
Please note that I consider a unit of 1+ armoured Empire knights to be soft when facing frenzied KB corsairs.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Ah but Calisson, I shall explain all in my corsair tactica for the AHW variety which is coming along nicely. But I will always stick by 6- wide in a unit of 18 for SSS Corsairs, it brings in the preferred amount of attacks all up, with the SCR present aswell.

Though a unit of 14 in 7x2 is tempting sometime, anyway I'll cover it soon enough!

Zardock (Group 27)

Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

I used 14 corsairs (7x2) FC with the SSS banner with a cauldron and it worked really well.

You could cover them but it will probably send the message that the SSS banner is in the unit.
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

You could cover them but it will probably send the message that the SSS banner is in the unit.

Isn't this one of these units where most savvy opponents will assume you have that banner if you have a standard in the unit (cover or no cover)? It's kind of like when you take a unit of BG and don't have a BSBS in another unit. Your opponent just assumes you have the Standard of HG because, welll, why wouldn't you?
Nicedoggy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nicedoggy »

Hmmm, so 14 would be optimal? or 15 for SCR but im not sure about trading that off for more KB attacks
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

deathknight27 wrote:Isn't this one of these units where most savvy opponents will assume you have that banner if you have a standard in the unit (cover or no cover)? It's kind of like when you take a unit of BG and don't have a BSBS in another unit. Your opponent just assumes you have the Standard of HG because, welll, why wouldn't you?

True, in fact, I didn't screen them because I wanted to screen my Witch Elves and my COK in my Cauldron list.
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

For attacks 14 is the optimal, for some SCR and a nice chunk of attacks as well 18 is a good option. Though for the purposes you seem to want them as (uber killy unit) then 14 is size for you, also will attract less attention as it is a smaller unit.

Zardock (Group 27)

Dread_knight666
Noble

Post by Dread_knight666 »

I really like corsairs with or without the cauldron and although it is true the cauldron gives them much more versatility, the same can be said for anything. The main issue which affects all of our infantry is ensuring you get the charge, otherwise they will crumble against tough opponents, but with harpies, DR etc... this has never been an issue for me.

I always run them 7 wide with 3 ranks and with a character, weather it be a master or an assassin. I am more partial to the master, it's good to have a hard hitting master with a great weapon to ruin heavily armored troops, which corsairs may struggle against alone, the master also greatly benefits from frenzy too.

I also have one hell of a time basing them, but try using magnets to hold them down that has worked for me. I also find if you are very careful when you position their weapons and base them, they can rank up with relative ease. It is a pain in the but though, but they also look very good and are a rewarding unit to play.

Although the frenzied variety are comparable to which elves and arguably better, I have learned to never underestimate poison.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The main issue which affects all of our infantry is ensuring you get the charge,

Except ASF BG and Warriors with an assassin, they're both ideally primed for taking the charge and winning :)

Don't be a munchkin?

Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Hi

I feilded 17 in ranks of 6 in my one game that I have had. Had some decent results with it. Beating off a 10 strong unit of S. Orc boar boyz and causing several wounds on a giant.

I didn't bother trying to 'screen' them as I had so much stuff running around (Dark Riders, Harpies, Manticore, Cold One Knights)

I fielded them with the Sea Serpent Standard which leads me on to a question:

Does the frenzy affect any characters in the unit?
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold