Expanding the Army, What to get next

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Thenick18
Assassin

Expanding the Army, What to get next

Post by Thenick18 »

I have been thinking about expanding my army and adding some more of the "elite" troops and some bread and butter. Currently my army includes the following models, I started with a battalion and added a few more warriors etc;

20 Spears
16 Xbows
20 Corsairs
5 Dark Riders
5 CoK
2 Chariots
5 Shades
2 Sorceress, foot
1 Lord/Master/BSB on a Steed
1 Lord/Master on Foot
2 Assassins
1 Lord/Master on CoK
1 Hydra
2 RBTs

Now I've been thinking of adding the following and my question is, what would add more synergy to my current range. Any insight on the following would be great. I'm probably going to only be picking up 2 of the following maybe 3 at this time, so what combination would work well with what I currently have, I tend to run 1 master, 1 sorceress, 1 assassin in the 1500 games we play, it makes my unit of shades that much more effective when my opponent doesn't know if there is an assassin there or not. Shades are a "fear" causer. :twisted:

Manticore - A 2nd terror causer + flying who doesn't want one
Harpies - These I am getting no matter what, I believe they will greatly help out my DR and shade harassers/blockers especially vs VC and Skaven my primary opponents.
Cauldron of Blood - Here is where I'm very undecided as my khainites are non existent, however I would like to believe corsairs and BG would both benefit from it were I to get BG and CoB.
Black Guard or
Exec with CoB?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Easy.
Harpies are a must-have. You'll regret only one thing: to have waited so long before getting them.
BG are very nice to have. You can't regret anytihing about them.

You don't have yet enough appropriate units for the COB, and, as you don't have the COB, execs are overpriced.
The mati is a gamble: when you realise how vulnerable it is, you may regret.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

It's my opinion that all special choices, frenzied corsairs and the hydra all benefit from a COB. With Cold One Knights, Great Weapon Shades, a Hydra and Black Guard that would be sufficient recipients for COB blessings.

Considering the manti: try before you buy. It's a good choice when you don't want to be regarded as cheesey (like dragons tend to evoke that respons), but as said before, it's really quite vulnerable. Ask some opponents if they don't mind you proxying, else ask if they will buy it for you. As long as you don't overdo it (and deliberatly not purchase things), most people will allow it.

And yes, harpies are a must.
King porky
Shade

Post by King porky »

Harpys ,they have so many uses meat shield warmachine hunting or even support and very very cheap points wise.

I have 15 and still getting more
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

I'll go with the family: Harpies! 2x5 is the minimum in every list, in my opinion.
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

personally I would first get some more xbow elves, and some more dark riders. There always useful! As mentioned above harpies are a must also (see painting and modelling for cheaper ways to get lots).

Are you intending on moving up to games of 2k? or carry on playing 1500? My experiences with a manticore aren't great, so i would move straight onto a dragon if you're going to be playing 2k. Fielding a dragon isn't cheese, people who say it is are usually just bad losers, or stuck in boring ways! :D

As for special choices, Black Guard are pretty much the best option there. Work very well with the rest of the army. Again if you're moving up to 2k a COB is well worth it, since the blessings have lots of options for use.
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

I want to move up to 2k, however convincing my gaming group to do so is tough, 2 horde armies in VC and skaven make i hard to convince them to spend the money to get more models.
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

Harpies and DR. I don't know how anyone lives with 1 unit of DR.
Outbreak
Trainee Warrior

Post by Outbreak »

It shouldn't be too hard to convince your friends to move up to 2k from 1.5k. For skaven he can just add in a beefed up grey seer/warlord on a mount (maybe even a plague furnace/bell, hellpit abomination), 1.5k to 2k for me is usually just adding in a beefed up lord and maybe another unit or rearranging afew. Get em to try making some lists first and they'll realise it isn'tthat big a jump.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Drek wrote:Harpies and DR. I don't know how anyone lives with 1 unit of DR.

That's me being lazy and not wanting to convert 5 more yet.