84%
No
16%

Total votes: 86

Connz
Warrior

Popularity?

Post by Connz »

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I've seen quite a big rise in DE popularity. Has anyone else noticed it?
I picked up DE years ago because they were very unpopular (and I play dark eldar in 40k) and I enjoyed playing unpopular armies. So it kinda annoyed me a bit when suddenly tonnes of people started playing them :(. Hopefully its just the new book and eventually it will die down
Whats your opinion?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Under the previous army book, DE were difficult to play.
This reputation tended to discourage many newcomers, who would otherwise be attracted by the fluff or the models.
Only those few who wanted either a difficult army or a selective army, or the inconscients who did not know about the difficulty to play it (including myself) would start a DE army.

With the release of the present army book, DE have been boosted tremendously, they are much more powerful.
They don't play by themselves still, but winning is much easier. And it shows on tournament results.
DE have rapidly earned a reputation of belonging to the "Big Three" (along with VC and DoC).
As a result, there is no more any reputation of being difficult to play which could deter newcomers. Furthermore there is a reputation of powerful army which still requires a brain to play, and this attracts powergamers.
Only the players who missed the difficulty to play or enjoyed playing unpopular armies are likely now to be deterred away from DE.

Sadly, it is the case for many D.netters, who formed a community during the times of adversity, but no longer feel in the mood now that the army is easier to play and is played by so many.

Now that BoC has been redone, I understand that there is still OK or DoW which are underpowered and rarely seen...
In the near future, when a new edition of WHB will be released, there should be less goblins sold for newcomers. Then a goblin army will become less popular but as powerless as now, and still lovely.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Eccelex
Trainee Warrior

Post by Eccelex »

I've been told that druchii were one of the most popular army in 6nd ed when I started to play
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

If you enjoy playing difficult, unpopular armies, you can try a themed DE.
"- so, you're playing Dark Elves like everyone?
- No, I'm playing a Khainite force.
- Wow!..."
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

I don't think they increased. I think that people started to play it because of the 7th edition and then, once a new army was released, they left DE for this one.

Of course, DE was always a race that a lot of people played and before the 7th edition, I was nearly alone playing them where I live. Now, I know 3-4 people that played it after the 7th edition but after a while, they didn't play them very much.

At least I can say that I played through the 6th edition (I started at the 5th edition).
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
Eccelex
Trainee Warrior

Post by Eccelex »

Sadly I kept winning in 6th ed and now I keep loosing :p
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

I think the fact that DE had only one plastic kit in 6th, and now have 3 also increased their popularity by having players unwilling to shell out for an expensive, hard to put together, metal army now able to use the plastic kits to make an all or mostly plastic army (assuming using glade riders and daemonettes to convert dark riders and harpies).
Tribun
Shade

Post by Tribun »

But all armies get more and more plastic, it's the official GW-strategy.
I think the Druchii popularity rising is beacause of:

-good rules (big Three)
-cool look (Asur are so....itybity); look at underworld movs, riddick, 300
-NINJAS, PIRATES AND DINOS (don't underestimate that )
-really good fluff (only Asur and Empire have as good fluff)
Svarthofthi
Executioner
Location: Within the nightmare twists and turns of Hag Graef.

Post by Svarthofthi »

Chaos seems to be the more popular flavor at my local haven. Me and one other fellow play Dark Elves. All the others are daemons, WoC, lizardmen, WEs, and some guy plays bretonnia
"I have heard the call to power! Who of you can say you'd dare tread the same path as I?"
Excidium666
Shade

Post by Excidium666 »

I've also noticed a increase in popularity. One of my mates started playing DE just becouse he likes the models and he enjoys the fact that you can build your army to match every other army.

On the other hand onr of my other mates said that druchii is in the top 3 overpowered armies in Warhammer:

1. Daemons of chaos
2. Vampires counts
3.Dark Elves

I think he is talking rubbish. Druchii are good but you need to know how to play and what you are doing, otherwise your going to loose every game.
High elf is an elf after all, therefore he deserves a quick death...
Tribun
Shade

Post by Tribun »

Excidium666 wrote:....

I think he is talking rubbish. Druchii are good but you need to know how to play and what you are doing, otherwise your going to loose every game.

That's always so. I beat up every Demonplayer, who doesn't know what to do with my Dogs of War...at least WHFB is about strategy and tactic and so the best (ruleswise) unit can't have a chance against smart- used multiple units.
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

I know around here that Skaven are starting to get popular again because of the new kits.
Excidium666
Shade

Post by Excidium666 »

Skaven are getting very popular. A few of my mates started gathering them after the new armybook came out.

I think that every army is getting a boost in popularity after the new armybooks come out.
Aron draith
Trainee Warrior

Post by Aron draith »

If only armie books didnt continue to come out every couple of months, why cant we get every book into 7th ed and leave it for a year, it seems the last armie into 7th ed gets pooped on as the next edition comes in. Anyway after an armie book comes out every one wants to collect them , Beastmen and Tyranids look nice. After a couple months the crave dies down and only those people interested in playing the certain army still are.
If you keep eating cupcakes, you will have more Chins then a Chinease phone book.
Svengaard
Trainee Warrior

Post by Svengaard »

Yeah, if I was smarter I'd take advantage of one of my opponents that goes for every new army, tries to break it, and loses interest.
I could have built three very cheap armies to date.

Errr, back on topic, I had a guy at my local gaming store describe some of the armies for me. Since I like to play aggressive in any game I play I chose the Druchii.
Excidium666
Shade

Post by Excidium666 »

Druchii is a well balanced army. You can build up your army to face any opponent. Thats what i like about them. No matter what play style you have you still have a pretty good chance of winning the game.
Anchanrogar
Corsair

Post by Anchanrogar »

They do seem more popular now, back in 6th I remember initally struggling against lots of chaos mortals armies(seemed to be the commonest list). My 6th list was a high sorceress on manticore abusing doom and darkness, with DR, some warriors and a super witch elf unit with a then lame assassin(11-16" charge). It was difficult to win in situations where the terror bomb didnt work, chaos warriors/knights/dwarf warriors/ironbreakers seemed untouchable even when charged from multiple directions. The de rules are a lot more forgiving now, certainly all the aforementioned invulnerable units are broken easily with real de hammer units without resorting to taking 5 spells on a level 4 stocking up on power stones and crossing my fingers for doom and darkness...
so yeah, increase in popularity makes sense, de army doesnt have to play as silly as mine did.. XD
A man without tea in him is incapable of comprehending either truth or beauty.
Doriili bariiliia
Raiding Baron

Post by Doriili bariiliia »

I really feel it picked up Toury results have help a lot in that regard also some of the Flashy new army that ^th Edition DE competed with are now very old rules sets. [Dwarves, Orge Kingdoms, Wood Elves]
"Khaine is pleased with my service brother, I care little for your opinion. The Old world is my playground. Our family lands in Naggaroth are yours."
Bibious
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Bibious »

Druchii are pretty popular around my area as well.
We had a tourny here about 2 months ago and out of the 18 players I think 4 or 5 were dark elves (including me :) )

I think one of the big appeals is you can really field any kind of army with Dark Elves, not too many other armies out there can claim that right.
Also the new models are simply awesome. I overbought the Cold Ones and Corsairs because I just loved the models.
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

yep popularity did go up.

Probably because they went from toughest army to play with,
to one of the toughest army to play against.
as said people count them amongst the top 3, with VC an DoC
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Angelique
Executioner

Post by Angelique »

I often experience a rise in popularity of any army after a new Army Book release, especially if these new books make a neglected army more powerful and attractive to use (as with the Dark Elves). Many people here liked the army and even bought the models, but only with the release of the new book they've actually begun to to use them. Dark Elves have a background that isn't too complex, yet fascinating; the models look great and the army list can be used to put together a fun and strong army regardless of your playing style. What's not to like?
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I often experience a rise in popularity of any army after a new Army Book release

This is true. Among the longer term players though, its often just an incentive to dust off their old armies and re-unleash them back upon the gaming tables (reinforced with new minis and powerful new rules). It's important to remember that people are often re-starting with the army in question, as opposed to just starting :)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

skaven are getting popular l8ly, dark elves i think have gr8 army background and character story making them an intresting army to have. I think most of the armies take there turn in being popular, probs when they are re-released with new book, models and rulz
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Saori_Nightstar wrote:l8ly gr8 probs rulz
Please no text speak.
Also, some capital letters where required would be appreciated.
Remember, many D.netters have English as a foreign language, it is complex enough for us not to have to deal in addition with deviations from academic English.
Twotailedkit
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Twotailedkit »

I play all over maryland and i have actually met only 1 other DE player.

The only reason i started this army was i liked the way the army looked, and was looking for something that would be a challenge to play versus my girlfriend who started brets.

Around where i play its mostly warhammer 40k and the fantasy armies i do see are VC, DoC, Lizardmen, and High Elves.