Hydra blackest thing in creation after 8th edition

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Bra55monkey
Trainee Warrior

Post by Bra55monkey »

Rares have a limit to how many you can take. i think you will only be able to have 3 until your over 3k points.

I think the codex does over rule the BRB. Handlers dodge the attacks.

More flamming attacks and spells are goin to have the hydras a lot deader a lot faster. plus the new heroic killing blow weapon.
Timz
Cold One Knight

Post by Timz »

bra55monkey wrote:Rares have a limit to how many you can take. i think you will only be able to have 3 until your over 3k points.

I think the codex does over rule the BRB. Handlers dodge the attacks.

More flamming attacks and spells are goin to have the hydras a lot deader a lot faster. plus the new heroic killing blow weapon.

For anything less than 3k.
25% rare points, 2 duplicates max.

People really need to stop saying "the codex overrules the BRB", it's a stupid saying because it made sense when the codex was written AFTER the BRB, now the new BRB has come out like years after some races books and their special rules don't work anymore.

That phrase means absolutely nothing as to 8th edition.

Codices written in 7th edition rules are instantly flawed under a major core revision and unusable without edits.

No matter how many times people spout that stupid phrase, it doesn't mean that many DE near-invinceable cheese combos (impossible to shoot cauldron) will somehow be usable. They'll update our book and make changes, then people can use that stupid phrase again.
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

Timz wrote:No matter how many times people spout that stupid phrase, it doesn't mean that many DE near-invinceable cheese combos (impossible to shoot cauldron) will somehow be usable. They'll update our book and make changes, then people can use that stupid phrase again.

On a related note: everyone seems to think that "the CoB is a war machine, war machines use the machine's toughness against shooting, and the army book says the CoB is immune to damage => the CoB plus crew are immune to shooting in 8th Ed!"

This is flawed right from the off. The bestiary in the back of the 8th Ed BRB clearly states that the unit type of the CoB is "Unique", NOT a "War Machine". Units with a unit type of "Unique" do not follow the rules for war machines or anything else, they have their own rules, unique (funnily enough) to that unit. Therefore it is nonsense to claim that the CoB is immune to shooting. If you were to use it in a game right now, you'd have to go along with the only rules that are printed (roll a D6 per shooting hit, 1-4 hits the machine and is ignored, 5-6 is the crew), which doesn't make sense under 8th Ed but that's what you get for mixing 7th and 8th Ed rules. Exactly what the rules in the update will be, I don't know, however, it's an absolute certainty that it won't be immune to shooting because the 8th Ed rulebook definitively states that it is not a war machine.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I'm pretty sure CoB wasn't listed among examples for "unique" unit type. It's there describing Skaven war machine/monster/chariot/something weird hybrids that don't follow war machine rules even in 7th (Screaming Bells, Furnaces, Doomwheels etc.)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

yea bout to say,

I think this makes our handlers rules even better because that 33% that should hit our handlers won't (unless errata says different)
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Melinia
Executioner

Post by Melinia »

Dalamar wrote:I'm pretty sure CoB wasn't listed among examples for "unique" unit type. It's there describing Skaven war machine/monster/chariot/something weird hybrids that don't follow war machine rules even in 7th (Screaming Bells, Furnaces, Doomwheels etc.)

I think you're talking about two different things. You're referring to the page that provides a description of the basic unit types as well as specific examples of those unit types. I believe Bitterman is referring to the unit entries at the very back of the book. While I haven't confirmed it myself, my understanding is that each entry at the back of the book states which category the model falls into. Apparently the Cauldron of Blood is listed as being part of the 'Unique' category, even though it isn't listed as one of the examples of that category in the 'Unique' entry.
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

Theres no FAQ or 0-1 limit in it's selection, it's a "mount" option at least from my memory of the selection.

Exactly the same as the War Altar for empire, except an FAQ eventually came out saying 0-1 for it.
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Gee
Corsair

Post by Gee »

According to the BBRB the cauldron is indeed a "Unique" unit type.

It's rules probably will appear in the errata since they state that you randomize like warmachines, which no longer happens.