Hydra blackest thing in creation after 8th edition

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

King porky
Shade

Hydra blackest thing in creation after 8th edition

Post by King porky »

I have just been speaking to my store manager and he has dropped a few hints about 8th edition number 1 being hydras get an additional 2d6 attacks for being monsters and flame weapons can be used in combat (but only once a game) and will cause 2d6 attacks so that is a total of 31 attacks. (potently) :D
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Asgoth
Corsair

Post by Asgoth »

Its not quite like that, but It will be even better ;) i´ll assure you... hydras will be ridiculously kick ass even compared to 7th edition....
Tomorrow i can share things with you when im allowed....

Booyeah 8th edition is here!!!
King porky
Shade

Post by King porky »

Great ,this is what my store manger told me (he has been known to fib or overeducate ) but that was how he explained it to looking forward to hear what you have been told tomorrow
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

All Large Targets will get extra d6 "crushing" hits at their basic S value. All breath weapons will be useable in combat for 2d6 hits at the breath weapon S value.

But Breath Weapons are going to be one use only now... So make sure you use it when you REALLY need it.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

It seems stupid in the extreme to let monsters breathe and fight in the same phase of combat, but what do I know, I'm not a games developer...

It's not gonna stop the hellpit abomination being the most powerful monster in the game I think, but it will make hydra and chaos dragons needlessly boosted in combat in 8th.
Firebuck
Warrior

Post by Firebuck »

Hey, it does have 5 heads so maybe it will get five breath attacks per game instead of one.
Hainzy
Dark Rider

Post by Hainzy »

Firebuck wrote:Hey, it does have 5 heads so maybe it will get five breath attacks per game instead of one.

Nice try mate!

Points for effort but I'd don't think that's gonna happen like that.

Cheers.
H :twisted:
You can take your vamp lord on zombie dragon, 48 graveguard, blackcoach, 3 wraiths, 2 units of dogs and your 3 units of 10 piddly zombies and shove them up your f&$%ing a$$.....

Worst game of warhammer I've ever played.....

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

5 S1 attacks! <.<
7th edition army book:

Firebuck
Warrior

Post by Firebuck »

Well, I admit I didn't think about it that way but perhaps we could split it at our discretion. 5 S1 or 2 ST2 and 1 ST1 or 1 ST3 and a ST2 etc. But yes, I do not think it is going to happen like that.
Asgoth
Corsair

Post by Asgoth »

All Large Targets will get extra d6 "crushing" hits at their basic S value. All breath weapons will be useable in combat for 2d6 hits at the breath weapon S value.

But Breath Weapons are going to be one use only now... So make sure you use it when you REALLY need it.

Its exactly like Dalamar said... :)
Dragons and hydras etc. will be extremely powerful, but so will many more units allso.

-peace
Asgoth
Gee
Corsair

Post by Gee »

Asgoth wrote:

Its exactly like Dalamar said... :)
Dragons and hydras etc. will be extremely powerful, but so will many more units allso.

-peace
Asgoth

Also worth pointing out the changes to monster and handlers.

The handlers are pretty much ignored now except in two cases. You don't measure from or to them. The Hydra effectively moves as a lone monster and gets charged as one. Handlers still get to attack but can never be targeted in CC. On the other hand you have to roll a dice for every unsaved wound the Hydra takes on a 5+ the wound is applied to a handler instead. So handlers will go down a lot quicker.

Regen has also changed a bit. Ward OR regen not both. Also if you take a wound from flaming attack then you lose regen for the rest of the phase.
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

Our Ld 8+ hydra is going to hard to march block so there will be no issues getting into the rigt position for that s5 hit everyone touched breath weapon.

Swordmasters? What Swordmasters?
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Swordmasters? What Swordmasters?

To be fair, that's true under the current rules too!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

It is but we might see bigger units and with no partials far more damage potential
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Unless you have already used it on a regiment of white lions two turns ago of course.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

Yeah its a one shot weapon now but the damage potential of that one shot is insane.

We could also see up to 4 hydras fielded in 3000 pt games or perhaps 3 and 2 reapers.

I would have thought that 2 and 4 reapers would be optimal myself. Especially vs high elves who just hate being shot at.

Even at 2250 there is room for either 3 of the things or 2 AND 2 reapers.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Of course your friends will never play you again, unless they take 5 cannons or something (obviously not HE)
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

2000 points can field a hydra and 3 reapers. Except reapers kinda suck, 2 hydrae still ftw!
7th edition army book:

Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

Of course your friends will never play you again

I think there will be a period of no holds barred as people get to grips with the new system. Nobody really knows what bent combo's our opponents are going to be thinking up for our amusement. :)

Personally I tend to go for all out dirtyness at first (within a theme) and gradually tone my army down till i hit a happy meduim.
I havent actually been playing my Dark Elves at all recently.

As long as there are dragons flying around there will still be a need for reapers. Not sure if we will be seeing as many support units around though. Fast Cav arent what they were.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

We could also see up to 4 hydras fielded in 3000 pt games

That's not a huge change from now, where you can field 3 hydras in a 3k army.

I think there will be a period of no holds barred as people get to grips with the new system.

If my opponent is a dark elf [edit: dark elf player] and turns up with two hydras at 2250, I won't be using the new rule book to find out if they're still as beardy as they were in 7th, I'll be too busy beating him around the head with it. :evil:
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

I won't be using the new rule book to find out if they're still as beardy as they were in 7th, I'll be too busy beating him around the head with it.

Lots of your WoC stuff got better too. Your opponent might be fighting back with the new engineer tools after he's shipped a couple of hellcannon shots and fought massed flail marauders :O
Jeffleong13
Warmaster of Slaanesh

Post by Jeffleong13 »

Don't forget the Black Dragon Egg ... That should be a nasty trick for a wizard or DR Noble
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

The new monster and handler rules will make the hydra much less survivable. Basically all hits (or was it wounds?) on the hydra have a 33% chance of hitting a handler, so the handlers will be dead in the first turn or two of combat most games. They are only worth 175 points now.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

Why does this matter? The hydra is a killing machine even without the handlers.

Has the reaction table changed?
Bitterman
Beastmaster

Post by Bitterman »

Rabidnid wrote:The new monster and handler rules will make the hydra much less survivable. Basically all hits (or was it wounds?) on the hydra have a 33% chance of hitting a handler, so the handlers will be dead in the first turn or two of combat most games. They are only worth 175 points now.

Sure the book rules don't override that? The DE book says anything that can attack the hydra must attack the hydra.