Dispel Scrolls in 8th?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Eolelfslayer
Dark Rider

Post by Eolelfslayer »

Its true that scroll caddies are now limited (in number and in use) but you could have, for around 30 points, the sceptre that helps you dispel and/or the scroll allowing a 4+ save on wounds caused by a particular spell ( i think you use this rather that try to dispel, but am not sure).
I also think there is at least one standard that gives magic resistence, so units can benefit from this also.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Only one dispel scroll per army, but there are other scrolls now, for example one wounds the wizard that cast a spell on 5+ for every power dice used (deadly for those level 4s casting on 6+ dice), or one that turns a wizard into a toad.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Eolelfslayer
Dark Rider

Post by Eolelfslayer »

Dalamar wrote:Only one dispel scroll per army, but there are other scrolls now, for example one wounds the wizard that cast a spell on 5+ for every power dice used (deadly for those level 4s casting on 6+ dice), or one that turns a wizard into a toad.

Are you serious? Into a toad? I hope that's a permanent effect :)
I half remember something like this in older editions. Good to see some old habits back!
Gee
Corsair

Post by Gee »

EolElfslayer wrote:
Dalamar wrote:Only one dispel scroll per army, but there are other scrolls now, for example one wounds the wizard that cast a spell on 5+ for every power dice used (deadly for those level 4s casting on 6+ dice), or one that turns a wizard into a toad.

Are you serious? Into a toad? I hope that's a permanent effect :)
I half remember something like this in older editions. Good to see some old habits back!

He's serious. The toad scroll turns the wizard into a toad unless they roll equal or under their wizard level. If they fail they turn into a toad which is stats 1 except for wounds.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The wizard can then revert back to being a wizard if they roll 4+ at the beginning of their magic phase afterwards though. So not permanent.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

All I will say to chime in on this thread is this. Dispel scroll is for the weak, spend the points on a power scroll. Not once in my about 2 dozen games of 8th (to include one mini tourny) did I regret not having a dispel scroll. I bemoaned not having a power scroll for many of my games. I firmly belive that in this edition our characters will work wonders with a dark steed, power scroll and a very crazed yet suicidal lvl 2 throwing a game winning bouncing ball of purple doom.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Azlann
Warrior

Post by Azlann »

I'll second that motion Geist. if fact the power scroll has been banned in some tournaments because it can get you that tide turning spell through right when you need it.
VIOLENCE - If its not solving all your problems then you simply aren't using enough of it
Cappenverra
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cappenverra »

Can you only get one scroll per army? I thought you were only not allowed to duplicate the SAME item.

Would one caster having the Feedback Scroll and another having a standard dispell scroll not be allowed?

I know the feedback scroll is not able to dispell but it is pretty usefull as a deterent for your opponenet throwing a lot of dice againt a spell. (Like the 13th spell or the Purple Sun).

EDIT
Sorry, I just noticed Dalamar answered my question up above.

Please ignore the above.

Mod's note: merged. Calisson.
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

Casting POD with one dice or any spell for that matter is stupid. You will fail to cast the spell as you need 3 ups or you stop casting...From now on 2 dice is needed to cast anything effectively.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

Ichiyo1821 wrote:Casting POD with one dice or any spell for that matter is stupid. You will fail to cast the spell as you need 3 ups or you stop casting...From now on 2 dice is needed to cast anything effectively.

Not if you have 2 sorcs and two power dice left.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

Masked Jackal wrote:
Ichiyo1821 wrote:Casting POD with one dice or any spell for that matter is stupid. You will fail to cast the spell as you need 3 ups or you stop casting...From now on 2 dice is needed to cast anything effectively.

Not if you have 2 sorcs and two power dice left.

Or a sac dagger (1/36 chance of failing, 0 chance of miscast)

There is nothing more annoyingly than IF on PoD...