Hoping for a misscast

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Hoping for a misscast

Post by Killerk »

how about running a lv. 1 on DS, in to the center off opponent's army, and then hoping for a good miscast :twisted:.

might actually do it some day.
Also known as Kanadian
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

I have thought about this as well, perhaps as a last turn gamble if we happen to be losing.

We can do it spectacularly as we can throw all the dice at one big spell. The deawback is that our casters are quite expensive and the move would be unlikely to pay off.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Skaven can do it better. Skitterleap an engineer between our ranks within range of RoH and go KABOOM!
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

just don't rat it out to them.
Also known as Kanadian
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Engineer capable of casting Warp Lightning is what? 50 points? :P
7th edition army book:

Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

65 point's with out equipment
Also known as Kanadian
Erethain
Warrior

Post by Erethain »

its a risky tactic if it does work, i only had one good look at the new miscast table but i'm sure one of the results was that every wizard takes a hit of some kind, which would be bad for our sorceress's. definately not something to try till near the end of the battle.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I really like the idea :) Very much a gamble, but could be worth it if the game is in the balance or pointing against you.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Viewing the price of our sorceress on DP and the randomness of the effect, this should be considered either as a last resort gamble if you're already loosing, or a hilarious way to play lightly.

More worrisome is the reverse.
Most DE armies are likely to get the RoH, often as a sole magic defense.
Our foes will prepare for that. The option for them will be to send a low-cost wizard just next to our RoH bearer and trigger a miscast with the hope of blowing the bearer up. Then the other, higher level wizard will have a free reign.

We better consider tactics to avoid the loss of the bearer:
- conceal him is hardly possible because the ring works automatically
- a curtain is required in order for the suicide wizard not to come in base contact with the bearer. Not sufficient but already better than nothing.
- any other idea?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

You could keep the bearer as a Master, wedge him between two units, and keep the template away from him that way. Deployment as |-| or /-\ should minimize the effect of the template boom on the ring-bearer.

That or we can conceed a possible inevitability and put the ring on a dreadlord with the Common Heavy Armour with 4+ ward save or Armour of Eternal Servitude and largely ignore the damage.

For champions, you could count on "Look out Sir!" since you'll only have to fear taking damage from the template on a 1.
Also, have somebody with a ranged weapon in the unit, and if the mage suicide charges to pull the base to base explosion, you just shoot him dead on the way in.

The only thing I'm short on ideas for is Skitterleap-ing engineers. Though we could just dispel the darn thing. :roll:
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Vietnow
Cold One Knight

RoH errata

Post by Vietnow »

I haven't seen anyone even mention the possibility of the RoH being changed. With miscasts being removed, (new wording does NOT call them miscasts) the new devastating "loss of control" table, and magic being a much more of a risk reward system, I highly doubt the 25 point magic-ender is escaping an errata. It would have too much of an impact for such a cheap item.

At this point I wouldn't even speculate on our spells, with the radical changes to the 8 common lores, I don't see how army book specific lores are not all going to be changed. They will all need at least one additional spell for the basic spell.

Although I do enjoy thoughts of a last turn spell being rolled on 7 dice to almost guarantee a successful spell, and some fireworks.

Look for a lot of O & G's using this trick the last turn, as the number of living shamans is reduced. Esp. the new green magic lores have a Waaagh spell.
Gee
Corsair

Re: RoH errata

Post by Gee »

Vietnow wrote:I haven't seen anyone even mention the possibility of the RoH being changed. With miscasts being removed, (new wording does NOT call them miscasts) the new devastating "loss of control" table, and magic being a much more of a risk reward system, I highly doubt the 25 point magic-ender is escaping an errata. It would have too much of an impact for such a cheap item.

They're still called miscasts and the table is still the miscast table. "loss of control" was a warseer rumour thing.

Vietnow wrote:Look for a lot of O & G's using this trick the last turn, as the number of living shamans is reduced. Esp. the new green magic lores have a Waaagh spell.

O&G have a powerful magic phase now. With their ability to boost power pool by being in combat, and having the ability to take a gobbo lvl4 and orc lvl4 with a good chance at getting both hand and waagh they're damn fast.
Vietnow
Cold One Knight

Post by Vietnow »

Apologies, I was working off some bad info with the "loss of control" wording.

I haven't seen the new rulebook, so if I say something that is directly in violation of the new rules its not because I'm stupid, its because I'm ignorant. ;)

The real errata question I have is the Lizardman slann ability to ignore miscasts. One of my 2 main opponents plays LM, and he almost always runs a magic heavy list. With slanns able to have a free die with every roll, the new magic pool will limit them less. If they're able to benefit from the irresistible force from double 6's, and avoid the miscasts, they're receiving a serious buff.

Not only could they throw dice with impunity, we can't dispell any IR's, and they don't risk losing that 500pt slann.

This makes the RoH more of a liability to our own casters, than a threat to LM slanns.

off topic and on a personal note.

On the brightside, our games typically end with his unit of temple guard wittled down to less than the front rank. With combat essentially being sped up, due to the 2nd rank attacking, I'll most likely be able to kill off his whole unit.

On the not so bright side, with the stepping up rule, his temple guard are actually going to hit me back, and they aren't weak. Esp, since losing the hw/shield armor save, I see halberds becoming more popular for units like temple guard and chaos warriors. The new rules make killing power more important than staying power.

A frontage of 6 temple guard gives 18 S5 attacks (minus the infantry slots the slann takes up. while they'll almost always be striking last, they will go through our BG much faster.

If the miscast rules are true LM are getting buffed up. Not to mention those salamanders decimating large blocks, or steggos being able to actually kill things in combat now. (stomp attacks) LM are getting buffed in combat, shooting, and potentially even more in magic. The big 3 might just become the big 4 very soon.

I mean frogs? Really?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Slann don't ignore miscasts. They can transfer them to any enemy wizard in line of sight and within 24" on 2+. Sure it's pretty safe bet to assume they won't be affected by it, but just imagine you have no wizards, or just one and keep her safely away from the Slaan, their miscasts will hurt them just as much.

And if they take the extra PD ability, they *always* have to use that PD. so more chance for miscasting (as they can never cast a spell on a single die)

Also, Becalming Cognition got a slight nerf. If they take it, they might prevent you from casting spells with irresistible force, but they will also make your wizard immune to miscasts (as 6s are discarded and 1s don't cause miscasts anymore)
7th edition army book: