How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Yourmumrang
Noble

Dragonlord equipment; the new items...

Post by Yourmumrang »

Hi all. Allow me to present the new items:

Magic Weapons
1. Giantsblade-[60 pts] +3 Strength in close combat.
2. Bloodbath Sword - [60 pts] + 3 attacks
3. Obsidian blade - [50 pts] Wounds with this weapon ignore armour saves
4. Ogre blade - [40 pts] +2 Strength in close combat
5. Sword of Quarrel - [40 pts] Bearer gains 2 attacks
6. Duelling Blade- [35 pts] Weapon pair, bearer has weapon skill 10
7. Heroslayer - [30 pts] Bearer gains 1 attack and strength for every character model that is in base contact with him or his unit. Bonus is calculated at the beginning of every close combat
8. Blade of spell theft [ 25 pts]If a wizard his wounded with this sword, he will lose one random spell for each wound
9. Blade of Battle - [20 pts] Bearer gains 1 attack
10. Sword Of might - [20 pts] +1 strength in close combat
11. Beserker Sword - [20 pts] Bearer gains frenzy and can never lose it
12. Golden Seal Blade- 15 pts] Attacks are done with initiative 10
13. Nimble Blade - [15 pts] Bonus of +1 to hit
14. Tearing Blade -[10 pts] - Attacks are armour piercing
15. Reliquary sword - [10 pts] - Attacks with this sword wound always on 5+, or better if one would wound normally on a lower score.
16. Screeching blade - [10 pts] Bearer causes fear
17. Sword of Pain- [5 pts] - Monster or character that loses one or more wounds to this sword, will suffer from stupid
18. Warriors Curse - [5 pts] - Monster or character that loses one or more wounds to this sword, will lose one attack (but will keep at least one attack)

Magic Armour
19. Armour of fate - [50 pts] Heavy armour, 4+ ward save
20. Rogue helmet - [50 pts] +1 Armour Save, enemy has to re-roll successful wounds
21. Silver Steel Armour - [45 pts] Armour save 2+, can not be further improved
22. Armour of fortune - [35 pts] Heavy armour, 5+ ward save
23. Helmet of discord - [30 pts] +1 Armour save, enemy character model has to pass a leadership test, if it fails, it can not attack and will be hit automatically
24. Glittering Scaly Armour - [25 pts] - Light armour, -1 to hit in close combat.
25. Shield of Ptolos - [25 pts] Shield, 1+ armour save against missile attack
26. Spell eater shield - [20 pts] Shield, bearer gains magic resistance (1)
27. Adventurers Armour - [20 pts] Heavy armour, 6+ ward save
28. Dragonhelm - [10 pts] Armour save is better by 1, 2+ ward save against fire attacks
29. Enchanted shield - [5 pts] Shield, Armour save is better by 2
30. Shield of Luck - [5 pts]Shield, only one use, first hit will be ignored by 2+

Talismans
31. Talisman of preservation - [45 pts] Bearer gains 4+ ward save
32. Greater Obsidian Amulet -[45 pts] Bearer gains magic resistance (3)
33. Talisman of Stamina - [30 pts] Bearer gains 5+ ward save
34. Obsidian Amulet - [30 pts] Bearer gains magic resistance (2)
35. Dawn stone - [25 pts] Bearer re-rolls missed armour saves
36. Opal amulet - [15 pts] Only one use, 4+ ward save against first wound
37. Obsidian pendant - [15 pts] Bearer gains magic resistance (1)
38. Talisman des protection - [15 pts] Bearer gains ward save 6+
39. Seeds of rebirth - [10 pts] Bearer gains 6+ regeneration
40. Dragon Stone - [5 pts] Bearer gains 2+ ward save against fire attacks
41. Federrupfan pendant - [5 pts] Bearer gain 5+ ward save against models with the “flying” rule.
42. Stone of Fortune - [5 pts]- Only one use, Bearer can re-roll one missed armour save

Enchanted Items
68. Wizards Hat - [100 pts], Level 2 mage, random magic lore, stupid
69. Pocket-watchtower - [100 pts] When both armies have placed their terrain and troops, you can place a watchtower. Rules are in the rules book
70. Arabic rug/Magic Carpet - [50 pts] Infantry and monstrous infantry gain flying, cannot join units (have no idea what this means)
71. Crown of command - [35 pts] Bearer is Stubborn
72. Healing Potion - [35 pts] Only one use, gain D6 lost wounds.
73. Winged curse circlet - [35 pts] Flying creatures and their riders have to re-roll successful hits against bearer/unit
74. Rubyring of destruction - [25 pts] Bound spell (energy level 3) Fireball
75. The mask of terror - [25 pts] Bearer causes terror. Other units are not allowed to use his leadership
76. Potion of Stregth - [20 pts] Only one use, +3 strength(thought it was d3...)
77. Potion of Toughness - [20 pts] Only one use, +3 toughness (same as above)
78. The other rogue shard - [15 pts] All models in base contact (friend and foe) need to re-roll successful saves
79. Cursed iron Icon-[5 pts] 6+ ward against war machines
80. Potion of recklessness- [5 pts] Only one use, Immute to Psychology and killing blow.(Guessing its for one turn or one round of combat?)
81. Potion of Speed - [5 pts] Only one use,+3 initiative

How will you now be equipping your Dragonlords?
Ihdarklord
Trainee Warrior
Location: Belgium, the land of beer, chocolate and French fries!

Post by Ihdarklord »

Dreadlord (560)
Black Dragon
Pendant of Khaeleth
Blood Armour
Crown of Command
Lance
Shield
Sea Dragon Cloak

This way, I can take on huge blocks, it won't die and is stubborn.
It also fits under 2250 points if it would be needed.

The Dawn Stone is nice too, but it doesn't beat the PoK.
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

I'd rather see something more than the Lance on him. Even a Halberd but then you aint using that Shield.

I also have a tough time choosing between the Crown of Command and the Black Dragon Egg. 2 Breath weapons have the potential to obliterate a unit (I also have 2 Hydrae and 2 CoC in my list)
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I will be saving the Black Dragon Egg for my Level 2. It fits perfectly with Tome of Furion, makes for a big surprise if her unit is charged, and lets her survive Step Up attacks for a critical round.

I'm not necessarily sure I'll change much beyond my Dreadlord's existing build: Crimson Death, Armor of Darkness, Pendant of Khaeleth. I may toss in Potion of Recklessness in case I encounter some Killing Blow, and because it's cheap.

As an alternative, I may go with Crown of Command, Pendant of Khaeleth, Blood Armor, Soul Render. Sure, striking last is rough, that builds provides excellent long-term survivability, combat and hitting power against a variety of targets.

From my Wood Elves, I find I don't like to rely on Stubborn too much with a combat monster. Sure, you can tie up an enemy for a while, but I find that it's easy to become sloppy and careless when you know you have Stubborn to rely on. When I don't have Stubborn, I have to be more diligent in picking my fights and setting up smart combined charges, rather than just tossing my Lord into any fight and watching him be stuck there for much of the game.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

full mundane
Dragonhelm
Talisman of preservation
ogre sword.

S- 6 attacks
2+ save
4+ward improved to 2+ ward versus fire attacks

Based on this item list I'm expecting our items to change in price.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

I am unsure about that, maybe they will give the existing items in the books 'special privilege'.

I am still intrigued by the Crown of Command. The idea of an Attrition Lord™ is an interesting one. Give him the Pendant, Crimson Death and Crown and you pump out some consistent attacks and won't go anywhere. Use him to pin a unit in place for a turn.

I really think we'll be playing Hammer-Anvil tactics and this guy can double up as both.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

YourMumRang wrote:I am unsure about that, maybe they will give the existing items in the books 'special privilege'.

I am still intrigued by the Crown of Command. The idea of an Attrition Lord™ is an interesting one. Give him the Pendant, Crimson Death and Crown and you pump out some consistent attacks and won't go anywhere. Use him to pin a unit in place for a turn.

I really think we'll be playing Hammer-Anvil tactics and this guy can double up as both.

Statements like that remind me of a Alpha legion Captain (ld 10 with a re-roll) who failed 6 consecutive leadership tests and fled off the table in a memorable 3rd ed 40k game a few years ago. He bragged as well :twisted:

Dragon characters are going to need to avoid being nuked by spells. Both metal and death can kill loose characters very easily.

We will end up with some funny looking anvils. Both narrow CoK units, CoCs and hydras will be able to take on hordes and minimise their attacks back though their reduced frontage. Dwaves and Chaos will be partiiculaly good at it.
Last edited by Rabidnid on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

how about wizards hat for a lord on a CO.
Also known as Kanadian
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

KillerK wrote:how about wizards hat for a lord on a CO.

I thought it would be a cool idea too because of the other lores you might end up with, but its still quite expensive. We still have great lores and great mages, so we need it less than most.
Falconrider
Corsair

Post by Falconrider »

I like crown of command, pendant of khaleth and either black dragon egg or heroslayer.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Where's the list of the new magic standards?
Darktan
Cold One Knight

Post by Darktan »

From the warseer rumor roundup - http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32236 the magic items are listed here, including standards, they were originally in german i think, so the wording is not always perfect.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I appreciate the fact that the Black Dragon still appears to be a valid choice. My hope is that it will become more balanced, and will require careful strategic use to be a worthwhile choice. It will be powerful in the hands of any Dark Elf player, but it can easily be tarpitted and neutralized by most Core choices. I hope to get to the point where players no longer roll their eyes when they see a Black Dragon deployed across from them.

Jadin
Black Guard

Post by Jadin »

That point will be when a single crossbow bolt can take our dragon out on one shot.
Myrkrdreki
Shade

Post by Myrkrdreki »

I like the thought of using old captain scarlet. I know we cant use both PoK and regenarmor, but it seems there are so many attacks that cancel out one of them, then you have at least one decent save. Ofcourse, thats a dragonlord for 2400'ish army.
8th Edition:

W/D/L
14/1/4
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

What do you mean, captain scarlet (dragon, AoES, PoK, CD, sdc) shows up at 561pts. He fits at 2250 as normal, just isn't all that practical at that point scale anymore.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Myrkrdreki
Shade

Post by Myrkrdreki »

Yes, what I ment was that a dragonlord in all purpose can't be used in a 2k army, especially a lord who's outfitted max. The 2400 was a number i just pulled from the air, sorry about that ;)
8th Edition:

W/D/L
14/1/4
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

No problem, I may have jumped the gun a little bit in my response. We can still fit a dragonlord and several heroes in our 2250 list, but I think we'd be handicapping ourselves with the new rules being dependent on troops over characters (barring the odd mage with an armageddon-level spell).
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Eolelfslayer
Dark Rider

Post by Eolelfslayer »

Not sure about dragonlords, even HE ones tend to die quite easily, or, when given heaps of saves, their mounts do. A risky choiche, but i have found dense battlefields offe more screen from shooting and can help them survive a while longer.
We usually play on semi desert fields :)
Myrkrdreki
Shade

Post by Myrkrdreki »

Now it seems at least large targets are allways in LoS (If I'm not mistaking, I havent had a look at the book myself). And with the increase in dmg-range for some warmachines (reapers form d3 to d6 wounds) our dragons seem to be in the endangered species list from 8th edition. However, I'll still try to fit one in, becouse i enjoy playing with them in every way :)
8th Edition:

W/D/L
14/1/4
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

MyrkrDreki wrote:Now it seems at least large targets are allways in LoS (If I'm not mistaking, I havent had a look at the book myself). And with the increase in dmg-range for some warmachines (reapers form d3 to d6 wounds) our dragons seem to be in the endangered species list from 8th edition. However, I'll still try to fit one in, becouse i enjoy playing with them in every way :)

Its just true line of sight now, but yes, it won't be hiding much.
Myrkrdreki
Shade

Post by Myrkrdreki »

Well, isnt it true that nothing is ever hidden behind threes? just gives an -1 to hit if possible? Or is that in the case of true line of sight as well? Is that enough questionmarks?
8th Edition:

W/D/L
14/1/4
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Much of this speculation is tempered by the fact that Large Targets are no longer +1 to hit. With the new abundance of terrain, as well as reduced movement penalties, making use of Hard/Soft cover when setting up your dragon charges will be a good practice.

Capricious
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Capricious »

I was thinking about our 4+ regen armour + the Dragon Stone - [5 pts] Bearer gains 2+ ward save against fire attacks. for 40 points you get either the 4+ regen or the 2+. Because of the fear our hydra's instil in the enemy we can expect at least a few powerful flaming attacks in the enemies army (either combat characters, mages or the unit banner).

One way to top up this combi is with the black dragon egg, and the sword of might, this leaves 5 points. Considering KB's are the only Achilles-heel of this set up we could go with Potion of recklessness- [5 pts] Only one use, Immute to Psychology and killing blow. As most assasins wont survive more than one turn we'd be pretty safe.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Potion of recklessness- [5 pts] Only one use, Immute to Psychology and killing blow.

I read this item differently.
It gives your two Special Rules for 1 turn:

Immune to Psychology
and
Killing Blow.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16