How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Swab
Cold One Knight

8th ed RoH discussion?

Post by Swab »

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262600

They are crazy over there. I couldn't believe half the things I was reading.
Dalamar wrote:RAW, yes. But it's slapworthy.
Spartan41
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Spartan41 »

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous as well as annoying.. I just thank god I don't have to play with people like this.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

1st Death spell can be cast on 1, max 2 dice and eats standard RoH bearer for breakfast in one cast... why the whining?
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Dalamar wrote:1st Death spell can be cast on 1, max 2 dice and eats standard RoH bearer for breakfast in one cast... why the whining?

Because its Whines... pardon me, Warseer. Whinging is usually the first thing they do over there when they hear about something new, followed by a flame war and an avalanche of trolls, and then things get locked down. Thank goodness D.net has a much higher quality.

Ring of hotek is powerful... but so is magic. It's only fair that a low toughness army like ours has something to defend themselves with against the increased damage (hell, all those template spells will continuously cause us to lose games because we can't dispel them).
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Herkles
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Herkles »

Also according to the new rules, they combined irresistible force with miss casting, so wouldn't the spell still go off even with the ring of hotek, with the mage still rolling on the miss cast table?
Swab
Cold One Knight

Post by Swab »

herkles wrote:Also according to the new rules, they combined irresistible force with miss casting, so wouldn't the spell still go off even with the ring of hotek, with the mage still rolling on the miss cast table?

^ Discussed in a different thread somewhere. Even if they miscasted, as long as they reached the proper value, it would go off and then miscast.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

The results for the mage casting towards the RoH are:
1) Get double 6 = IF and Miscast, spell cannot be dispelled, mage suffers Miscast, mage can continue casting
2) Get casting cost, no doubles = spell works, spell can be dispelled, mage can continue casting
3) Get casting cost, rolls doubles = spell works, spell can be dispelled, mage suffers Miscast, mage can continue casting
4) Fail to reach casting cost, rolls doubles = spell fails, mage suffers Miscast, mage can continue casting
5) Fail to reach casting cost, no doubles = spell fails, mage can continue casting
6) Rolls a natural 1-2 for casting = spell fails, mage cannot cast further that turn
7) Rolls double 1s on two dice = spell fails, mage cannot cast further that turn, mage suffers Miscast

I think that sums it up well enough, and in order of severity to opposing mage.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Good summary, EbonyPhoenix. That will be useful in the next couple months of trial games, when my opponents and I are trying to unravel the new magic phase.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

I thought the rumour was if you failed to cast, the mage could not cast any more spells that phase. That is a different rule to spells always failing on a natural 3 or less.
Swab
Cold One Knight

Post by Swab »

I believe it is if you fail to cast at all then you can no longer continue casting. Same with dispelling. I know for fact its true on the dispel because we had a discussion about it.

The 1 or a 2 autofails if that is all you rolled. If you cast POD and roll a 3, it goes off due to mage bonuses but if you roll a 2, even with a lvl 4 it won't go off. You would need the dagger to add another die or fail to cast.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

The rumor was that any failed cast ends that mage's casting for the rest of the phase. However, the book specifies that the mage's "Loss of Concentration" or some such terminology only occurs on a natural 1 or 2. As such, if you throw 3+ dice you will keep the option to cast another spell.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If you fail to meet the casting value of a spell, this wizard's magic phase is over, end of story.
Nautral 1 or 2 rolled means an automatic fail no matter what bonuses you might have to the roll (level 4 rolling a 2 has a result of 6 which could cast the weakest spell of every lore but it won't happen since the roll was a 2).

If you throw 3+ dice and still fail to meet the casting value = no more spells for this caster (this of course doesn't include failing to cast a spell to to it being dispelled for example)
7th edition army book:

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I noticed this in the magic items list

Energiespruchrolle () 35 pts
Only one use, every doubles will cause total energy and loss of control

From http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32236

If that is 35 points, and causes an automatic loss of control and successful cast, then RoH is either going to get seriously nerfed or cost a lot ore than it does now.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I heard through the grape vine that they wrote the pdf's first and the rules afterwards. So whatever they decided they decided it long before this thread ever started. I expect the Ring of Hotek to go up and price and, I hope, the Black Amulet will come down in price.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

This scroll also has no range of effect limit, bear that in mind,
7th edition army book:

Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Dalamar wrote:This scroll also has no range of effect limit, bear that in mind,

True, and also isn't an army-specific item. I wouldn't be surprised if certain books were allowed to retain certain discounts/advantages in their magic item allowance, to let armies maintain a certain playstyle or exclusive strength that other armies shouldn't necessarily have access to.

Gee
Corsair

Post by Gee »

Rabidnid wrote:I noticed this in the magic items list

Energiespruchrolle () 35 pts
Only one use, every doubles will cause total energy and loss of control

From http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32236

If that is 35 points, and causes an automatic loss of control and successful cast, then RoH is either going to get seriously nerfed or cost a lot ore than it does now.

It's a mis-remember/mis-translation.

Power Scroll is a minibook of hoeth. doubles cause a irressistable force. Miscast still only on double 6. Only applies to the user,
Melinia
Executioner

Post by Melinia »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I'd have remembered something that caused miscasts on doubles in the BRB.

There were some other nasty anti-caster items, though, including one scroll that caused you to roll a die for every power die the caster used in their last spell and inflict a wound on every roll of '5' or '6'. And another that temporarily turned the caster into a frog.

:shock:

Personally, I'm much more concerned about the Cupped Hands than I am about the Ring. But all of the hysteria is, as it has always been, focused on the Dark Elves to the exclusion of all else.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

I didn't like it when the original poster stated that most of the DE codex is under priced. :( I would've thought the opposite seeing as we are an expensive elf army, known for high point costing items/units/etc.

The person within that thread who spoke of the limited size of the RoH's bubble and how the enemy can easily avoid it, I would've thought that was the correct reasoning behind it. Almost all the opponents I have played with the RoH at my local game store, once they've caught onto the ring, they either gamble with it or merely avoid it.

But alas, it seems that people still wish to completely smite one of our few anvil and choppy killer units with little to no effort with magic.

I'm more frightened about template attacks than magic (unless the magic involves a template :) ) honestly. I've known some great scatter guessers in my time that can still land their rock lobber onto a unit even if it scattered wildly.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Dark Elves get a bad rap. I think Skaven and Lizardmen are just as powerful, with just as much tournament potential, and can also handle certain opponents and list configurations much better than we can. People just love to focus in on the "Big 3" though.

As for Warseer, I haven't checked it for months. I usually wait for the rumors to filter to the forums that I actually enjoy.