Choosing Spell Lores and Tournaments

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Choosing Spell Lores and Tournaments

Post by Thanee »

p. 134 clearly states, that you have to choose your Spell Lores (and even the specific spells, if you can choose them) by the time you create your army.

This makes wizards a lot less versatile for tournaments, since you cannot swap lores between games.

What do you think about this?

Bye
Thanee
Parthianshot
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Parthianshot »

Seems fair enough to me. Its not that dissimilar to the rule regarding weapon options i.e. if your unit is armed with great weapons you have to use them. I can see how it might feel restrictive if you've been playing it differently in previous editions but its not technically unfair; you just have to plan for a multitude of possible opponents rather than relying on a particular magic lore to compensate in specific circumstances.

I didn't play 7th edition WHFB but in 6th I always used the lore I'd picked at army creation. Maybe that's just me though
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Choosing Spell Lores and Tournaments

Post by Rabidnid »

Thanee wrote:p. 134 clearly states, that you have to choose your Spell Lores (and even the specific spells, if you can choose them) by the time you create your army.

This makes wizards a lot less versatile for tournaments, since you cannot swap lores between games.

What do you think about this?

Bye
Thanee

Its really no big deal I think

Metal is a good lore for a single mage who is filling the role of a caddy. A level 2 with a scroll is 160 points

a lvl 3 with a scroll and seal of ghrond 280 points.

If you want to build a combo of shadow/dark or shadow/death it will be effective versus most opponents.

Redundancy in mages will be a good thing, so running a lvl4 and 2 lvl 2 will be a good thing as all of the dice are available to whoever is in the best position to cast. Give the 2 lvl 2s metal and the lvl 4 dark or shadow ad your list will be well equipped for any style of army.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I agree, it's not a big deal. Choosing a specific magic lore lets you fill gaps in your list (i.e. Fire for handling horde armies, magic to counter knights, etc.) It's actually kind of gratifying to know that you're stuck with the same lore, and have to make the best of it no matter who you are facing.

On a related note, I myself had my eyes on Shadow or Metal, but once I saw how high the casting values were, I opted for fire for my Level 2. With the abundance of Core we're going to see, I think Fire will have a place against any opponent, and Firestorm (despite not being as impressive as Pit of Shades, Purple Sun, etc.) is easier to cast and actually more effective against a variety of opponents. I ran it with great success against Skaven, casting it every turn on 4 dice and wasn't disappointed.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

I'm leaning towards thinking of using 3 sorc. for tournament's (one lv 4, and two lv2).

that's x3 PoD, for extra dice.
3 lores I can choose.

lot's of arcane items to buff my magic faze. It'll be short but will go down in a blaze of glory (at least I hope so)

this will come down to some 500 point's, but considering the larger point's being favored now day's, is a valid choice.
Also known as Kanadian
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Given the changes to each lore, I don't think it will be that bad. Mind you, selecting a lore that would mutilate your opponent best was great.. now that they are all buffed and have variable range and stuff, I think it will pan out fine.

I'm not fond of magic, at all. I haven't been for a whole edition, so the change probably won't affect me, in the few games I choose to use it.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Tethlis wrote:I agree, it's not a big deal. Choosing a specific magic lore lets you fill gaps in your list (i.e. Fire for handling horde armies, magic to counter knights, etc.) It's actually kind of gratifying to know that you're stuck with the same lore, and have to make the best of it no matter who you are facing.

On a related note, I myself had my eyes on Shadow or Metal, but once I saw how high the casting values were, I opted for fire for my Level 2. With the abundance of Core we're going to see, I think Fire will have a place against any opponent, and Firestorm (despite not being as impressive as Pit of Shades, Purple Sun, etc.) is easier to cast and actually more effective against a variety of opponents. I ran it with great success against Skaven, casting it every turn on 4 dice and wasn't disappointed.

Fire is good as well, but metal kills knights and the buffs are great. All but the last two have low casting values. Combined with Dark I suspect it will be quite successful.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Gee
Corsair

Post by Gee »

In my opinion the magic changes have meant that the lore is very much an integral part of the army rather than something that is tacked on afterwards. Which, to me, is a good thing.

Lore choice is something that I feel is dependent on what level the caster is.

To me lore of fire is a bit pointless on a level 2 as fireball is really only good for killing support troops, which is something DE do very well already. Of the other spells in the lore, only Flaming sword and flame storm is attractive.

Maybe a Level 2 with tome would be worthwhile since 72% chance of getting one of those instead of 44%, but then your chucking 4 dice at flame storm just to get above 50/50 cast.

To me lore of metal or lore of dark are the go to lores for a level 2 . Metal has a nice series of buffs and debuffs married to a generally low casting cost. The signature spell also gives the option of a good offense against armour. Dark benefits immensely from the effective drop in casting cost. Giving a good option for when you get rubber winds of magic.

For a Level 4 I feel lore of shadow has the best synergy with the rest of the DE army. The signature spell is an excellent multitasker. My favorite is the ability to psuedo march block by dropping targets movement.
Keeper of the cauldron
Trainee Warrior

Post by Keeper of the cauldron »

I agree Gee. Shadow and Dark will probably be my most used lores. Metal is still useful, but did ot get as much of a boost as the other lores IMO.
"The time has come once more that we must give thanks to our master, Khaine, mighty Lord of Murder, his name be praised"

Hag Queen Hellebron.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

While we may be good at killing rank-and-file models, being able to deplete an enemy regiment often means the difference between one round of combat and two. Since getting pinned in place and tarpitted versus a horde army is definitely a bad thing, I've had good experiences with using Fire to thin out horde regiments to remove any possibility of Steadfast and make things more decisive for us. Fireball isn't great for that application, but is still good versus skirmishers, missile units, medium and large monsters and fragile elite infantry. Piercing Bolts and Flamestorm are both equally useful versus hordes, capable of generating big damage numbers for low casting value.

Perhaps the biggest argument for Fire, in my opinion, have nothing to do with the spell effects themselves. Low casting value, with the possibility of further reducing the casting value due as the Lore bonus, plus long range. Virtually every spell in the Lore of Fire has a range of 24 inches or more, which is not true for many of the other lores unless you use their boosted cast value.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.