Flying Blood Cauldron

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Gee
Corsair

Flying Blood Cauldron

Post by Gee »

Recently I read something that made me read Lore Of Shadow more closely.

Something I noticed were the targeting rules for Steed of Shadows. "..or a Friendly character within 12" No mention is made of needing to be on foot etc.

SO that got me thinking about what would I have fly around.

The cauldron is a good target so that you can strategically spread it's influence across the board.

The other is a master/dreadlord on chariot. Allowing it to be used as a warmachine hunter or even early rear charges.

What's everyones thoughts on this?
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Interesting idea. Not sure if it is legal though, although with the new warmachine rules making it all 1 model just like mounts I suspect it is.

On a similar note, is it possible to give the hag on cauldron (or a LP on casket of souls...) a flying carpet and have it flying about the whole time??
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Darktan
Cold One Knight

Post by Darktan »

you could give the priest the carpet, but not the hag, no idea if it would make it fly, it would be funny however.
Capricious
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Capricious »

I thought there was a restriction that you could only move a character of the same unit type, and both warmachine and chariot are an other unit type than the sorceress.
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Capricious wrote:I thought there was a restriction that you could only move a character of the same unit type, and both warmachine and chariot are an other unit type than the sorceress.

No you're mixing the Steed of Shadows spell up with the special effect of the Shadow Lore. The special effect allows you to switch positions with another character of the same troop type within 18", and the Steed of Shadows allows you to move any friendly character within 12".

I can't see why a CoB would not qualify as such, and this of course goes for a Lord on Dragon or Chariot as well.
Emperorpenguin
Cold One Knight

Post by Emperorpenguin »

A CoB is a war machine, not a character
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
Gee
Corsair

Post by Gee »

emperorpenguin wrote:A CoB is a war machine, not a character

A Cauldron of Blood is a Death hag mount. So probably a viable target.

What would you target with Steed then?
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

The Cauldron of Blood is an upgrade to the Death Hag but certainly not a mount. Unless you can show me some text somewhere that says it is of course.

The Hag cannot leave her Cauldron. I don't believe Steed of Shadows would work.
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

I'm not a terribly big fan of people calling the Cauldron of Blood a mount. I mean, she's definitely not straddling the thing as you would a normal mount (aside from some clever modelling). The Cauldron is simply an option available to the Death Hag, not a mount (I don't see the Cauldron fighting back against enemies in combat).

I am completely in agreement with phierlihy, there's no way you can move the Cauldron around with it because it's a War Machine, not a character, and the Death Hag can't leave the unit.
Starphoenix
Warrior

Post by Starphoenix »

Page 109 "The war machine can move using the rules for lone models... war machines can never charge or march."

If the CoB was an immobile war machine (Anvil, Casket, etc) it would have specified in the FAQ - it did not. The model for the CoB in 5th ed was a small chariot.
"You can sleep when you're dead."
Emperorpenguin
Cold One Knight

Post by Emperorpenguin »

It's really simple. Steed of Shadows allows you to move a character. A Cauldron is a War Machine joined by a character, it is not a character and not a mount
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

CoB is now SPECIFICALLY listed as a WarMachine, so if you upgrade the unit, she transforms and rolls out- Sadly they fused the characters TO said WarMachine (in terms of being Wounds)...maybe they are all taking a bath together... :D
Oderint dum Metuant.
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

Out of boredom, throwing my weight behind the "Cauldron is not a character, no steed of shadows for you," side of this discussion.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

I second that, and besides, have you ever walked with a 'cauldron' of soup without spilling some? Thats hard enough, let alone flying with one ...
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Duke daedric
Cold One Knight

Post by Duke daedric »

Flying tomato soup anyone? bwahahaha :D
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is the Assassin Bunny.
He has been specially trained by "the Old man of the Mountain".
He looks cute and than bites off your aorta when you least expect it.. ;)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Steed of Shadow could move the DH.
However, the DH's religion prevents her to leave the COB (see our army book).
So you can freely move the model of DH with SoS as long as she stays around the COB (so this move has not the slightest effect on the game, but you CAN do it).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

wait... I like that... because couldn't you technically slingshot the CoB thru the air following the DH?

Just move her 12" and then watch the enemies say "ha! we have them" and the "Cartoon Shadow of Imminent Death" appear over their heads like Wile. E. Coyote?
Oderint dum Metuant.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Setomidor wrote: thought there was a restriction that you could only move a character of the same unit type, and both warmachine and chariot are an other unit type than the sorceress.

You're thinking of the lore attribute, Smoke and Shadows.. while similar, they are different. ;)

Flinging a CoB would have some very interesting results. It is now a war machine, and the spell says cast on the wizard, or a friendly character and she cannot leave the unit nor can the unit charge while she's part of it.

If you could cast it on her, then she could take a 10" movement, but could not charge. I don't think she's a valid target for the spell though.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

See it like this:

¤ war machines cant march, right?
¤ a death hag can, right?
¤ a death hag cant leave the cauldron (at least not without a veil and a male relative lol).

this does not mean that the death hag can make a march move and the cauldron will just be pulled along. If she was alone she could march. if she was alone she could be teleported. however, teleporting her (or marching for that matter) would force her to leave the cauldron behind, and shes not allowed to do that. hence she cant march and she can not be teleported :)
L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

It's standard Fly movement, but I'm guessing you'd need to cast on all 3, so my joke fell faster than my cartoon cauldron
Oderint dum Metuant.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

The cauldron aside, that's a good point that Steed of Shadows can now be cast on mounted characters. That opens up a useful range of possibilities for a spell that's arguably the worst in that entire Lore.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Yeah...Dragon charge - turn 1!
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Fr0 wrote:
Setomidor wrote: thought there was a restriction that you could only move a character of the same unit type, and both warmachine and chariot are an other unit type than the sorceress.

You're thinking of the lore attribute, Smoke and Shadows.. while similar, they are different. ;)

Hey, watch it who you're quoting. :)
Gee
Corsair

Post by Gee »

phierlihy wrote:Yeah...Dragon charge - turn 1!

The steeds fly move effectively happens in the remaining moves phase. So no charges.

With the Dark Elves having a bit of a vulnerability to warmachines, my plan is to drop a master on chariot into position to threaten my opponents warmachines.
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

Gee beat me to it. I was about to point out the same thing.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari