I have returned WITH MANY SLAVES.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Geist
Noble

I have returned WITH MANY SLAVES.

Post by Geist »

I just got back from LoneWolf 9 and did far far greater than I ever thought I would. For I took 3rd overall. The list that did the job.
"Bob"
Lord whip of agony, reverse ward, dragon helm, other tricksters shard, dark
Pegasus, hvy armour, shield sea dragon cloak and repeate cross bow.

Gunslinger
Lvl 4 , life taker, dispell scroll, ironcross icon, dragon bane gem shadow.

Gunners x2
20 repeater crossbows with shields banner and musicians.

Slave masters
30 corsairs with repeater hand bows and Armour piercing banner, and musician.

The uglies x3
5 harpies

Death Bringers
39 executioners with flaming banner and musician.

"The great spirit"
Hag on cauldron of blood.

Feng Shui the great master of death
Hag BSB banner of really really fast (ASF) man bane and d3 attacks.

So to all that say executioners are not worth it or should not have a bsb in them I say to you DO IT. They rock socks.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Greenwhy
Executioner

Post by Greenwhy »

How did you protect the hag? Keeping -T and -WS on whoever execs were engaged with?

BTW, Congrats!
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Hehe told ya BSB execs are fine even if it the BSB is kind of exposed.

Green, you can keep the BSB alive by declaring the charges and keep the BSB on the extreme corner that won't touch enemy models. Then they can't attack her ^^

Rarely do you face someone with a frontage that's as wide as horde unless it's a horde itself. Either way, if you're big enough to survive 3 ranks worth of KB I6 GW then you surely won't have much left to reply with afterwards. You might kill the BSB, but you most probably lose combat anyway and break :D
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Nice job coming 3rd!

How did the Corsairs perform with the AP banner and handbows?

Also, Geist, you've spelt 'Druchii' wrong in your sig - just thought you ought to know :)
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Meteor has described mainly how she stayed alive. The only other tricks were A denying challenges when they were too steep to survive. B shadow has 2 spells that help a ton 1 lower ST and 2 lower WS. That helped alot as well.

As to the corsairs, despite having the wrong load out in the list they actually did there job well and not just well but very well. I threw them into several stupid fights and not only did they last they lasted and held. They proved there worth time and time again to me. They will for sure get there needed up grade of hand weapons and frenzy banner.

As for misspelling shrug ok. If its wrong its been wrong for a while now.

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

MiniGrift wrote:
Also, Geist, you've spelt 'Druchii' wrong in your sig - just thought you ought to know :)

Ummm.... correcting other's spelling of imaginary languages is not something you want to be remembered for.

To the OP, nice !!!

3rd with a list of weird shiz, but without BG, hydras or CoKs just goes to show how strong the DE army book is when used by a good player.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Excellent stuff. What armies did you end up facing off against? It's great to see a Executioners achieving such great results.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

The armies I faced.
Beastmen I lost the exes against a unit of blacked-end plate minos, my flaming attacks got ignored. I some how came back with a win.

Empire, this was a nasty headache list it was DOUBLE stank and alter. Walter Stanklyies. Very nasty but thanks to some clutch Mindrazor I was able to take out both tanks and got his guns(3 mortars and 1 cannon).

Vampires, I made a bone head mistake in this one. He took 5mins trying to box in my exes with some raised zombies. I was able to pivot charge past them into his ghouls where I would over run into his none regen grave guard. The bone head part was my lord who was blocking traffic charged another unit of ghouls instead of the grave guard. Since he was able to get a magic phase off I lost the exes and my BSB. But once again I was able to come back. Highlight was shooting his BSB to death (he and lord of lend WS) had bailed ship and both got shot to death by either crossbows or life taker. The gunslinger build is just too cool for school.

Skaven, double hell pit bell and furnace. I was able to take out his wind mortars one after another, thanks to a mindrazor bob the flying dreadlord was able to beat down the bell. Exes ate a hell pit and failed a over run by about 1 inch GAH to get the second one. Thankfully he charged his second hell pit into my dread lord trying to get points (the thing had taken wounds from shooting) and Bob dropped it. A clean win yet again.

Skaven, the hardest game of the entire event at table 1. Good friend who does nothing but hordes of rats that are steadfast for ages. I did a stupid charge with Bob and he got run down. Much hard battling but in the end I was able to get a draw.

Everything said and done the score was like this Win is 16 draw is 8 loss is 4 grab the objective for 4 points. Win by Texas size and you keep your points but if you dont you give up 2 points to the looser.

Game 1 win with objective 18pts I failed to make it Texas size (win by more than 500).

Game 2 win with objective 20, hah take that double steam tank.

Game 3 win with objective 20, even loosing the BSB and exes I schooled the VC.

Game 4 win with objective 20, just goes to show that even good rat lists are beatable if you know what your doing.

Game 5 draw with 3 points in objectives, there were 4 you could get. This is the total opposite of game 4. A rat list need not be full of BS to be hard to beat. So I got 11 points.

A tidy 89 for all 5 games out of 100. Pretty tight if I do say so myself. Specially since it netted me 3rd overall. All hail my funky lists of doom.

Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Again, nice job coming 3rd - it doesn't look easy from what you said there!

Do you know which two armies came first and second?
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Congratulations! well done :) I'm currently painting my exec horde-list up for a tournament as well, but have had great success with it so far.

Some questions:

- Shadow ay? Ever considered Death? I have a hard time choosing between the two.
- Three units of harpies, how useful? I'm currently at one harpies and one shades for roughly the same points.
- I haven't dared bringing Flaming on my Execs, ever was a problem for you? I'm a bit scared of 2+ against Flaming, stubborn lords locking my unit up.
- I'm guessing you're advocating the ASF BSB, any thoughts on how striking last would have effected your game(s)? From your brief descriptions of your games, it doesn't seem that you would have suffered much less by striking last. I'm also a bit scared the Execs would have an even bigger "SHOOT ME" sign painted on them if they're suspiciously joined by a Hag-BSB.
- No dagger on the Sorc? Scroll better?
- Was the extra 50 pts of items on the BSB worth it?

Thanks for your report!
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Answers
Shadow only fails to help stem giant units. Lore of dark is better for crowd control. Death is not useful enough.

Harpies are stupid useful, they either screen your units from shots, triggers fanatics, redirect charges you don't want to deal with. Not to mention they are dirt cheap and no one cares if they panic or die other than other harpies.

Yes I regretted flaming one time, which was against the minos with blackened plate. To be totally honest that was me being stupid. I could have shoved my lord into that unit and never once had to worrie. But I was dumb. So in do not worrie about flaming banner just use it right and counter the right units with the right effects.

ASF hell yes. Striking last is dumb, going at INI 5 is killer. You can murder units with that speed followed up by st6 and KB. You do not want to go last against a hell pit. He might stand back up you wont. Grave guard you for sure want to swing before they do. Sure they got shot at, thats what the ward save is for and the LD 9 reroll. Use the harpies and your shooting to silence as many guns as you can as fast as you can.

Dagger is so not worth it if your going for buffs and magic defense. My mage is a gun slinger, his job is to shoot out the odd lone mage or warmachine. You need a dispel scroll, being able to say NO is just too good. Even if you can only do it once a game.

Yes it was, she gets to murder the odd doomwheel, or giant or whatever. More attacks is always a nice thing to have. There are several builds I would suggest on her or in my case him.
1 KB reroll 1's to wound.
2 5+ ward take away 1 attack.
3 manbane d3 more attacks.

You either go denial of attacks by killing more or you try to go full safety. Either way your trying to attack more.

Zantesuke
Warrior

Post by Zantesuke »

Slave masters
30 corsairs with repeater hand bows and Armour piercing banner, and musician.

uhm I do have to say this; armour piercing rule works only on close combat atacks, unless he has a weapon that states otherwise. (rulebook page 67)

:D
No one ever survives life.
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

uhm I do have to say this; armour piercing rule works only on close combat atacks, unless he has a weapon that states otherwise. (rulebook page 67)

Hrm, yes, I suppose you're right!
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Thats ok, I have a whole new tatic now. One that does not call for ap ranged attacks. MUAHAHHA

Zantesuke
Warrior

Post by Zantesuke »

could it be AP close combat atacks?
No one ever survives life.
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Nope, its lore of fire, st6, tough 4 or less and auto wounding. For more look to my thread in tactics section. Cant miss it.

Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Congratz Geist!

now the questions.

How did you protect the SS. No ward, not afraid of snipers and spells that negate Look out sir.

Did you use steed of shadows?

ABout bob.
He didnt had the crown of the commander. Where did you use him for?

My thanks
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

SS, just walked around behind units and stayed out of LOS and most of the time out of range. Shadow is very long range, and life take is very long range as well.

Steed is pretty much useless for my build.

Bob does bob things, like beat the crap out of anyone he hits. He charges in and makes a mess and goes into characters. Hard to stand up to him. I dont use the crown.

Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Geist wrote:SS, just walked around behind units and stayed out of LOS and most of the time out of range. Shadow is very long range, and life take is very long range as well.

Steed is pretty much useless for my build.

Bob does bob things, like beat the crap out of anyone he hits. He charges in and makes a mess and goes into characters. Hard to stand up to him. I dont use the crown.

ah i see. thanks.
Shadow long range means harder to cast. Pretty dangerous for IF. especially when she has no ward. These are the things I think about when i field a list like this one. But i like the style so much i will try it one day.

Bob does bob things, this whip of agony gives him a total of 5 strengt 5 attacks right?
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Update of answers.
1 The whip does indeed give Bob 5 attacks at St5 AP. St5 that can never be changed.

2 As to long range meaning high casting numbers, not really. Look at the high numbers on the useful shadow spells, 5 for most of the miasma spells, easy, the rest are in the mid to high teens. With a +4 (wizard level) that means you don't need more than oh 4 or so dice for each spell is more than enough. As to misscasts sure that can happen even 2 dice can cause a boom. Thems the risk in the game.

Squanto315
Trainee Warrior

Post by Squanto315 »

I love the Whip of agony it gets stuff done.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

8th edition W/D/L
legion of the Bloody Snowflake 4/0/3