The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Happy to help with some laughs. :lol:

I think that dropping the rather "nobrainers" now and then is a good idea. And actually I am so tired of dagger, shadow lore and the invincible dreadpeg that I want to try other things instead.

Last week a friend of mine and I joined an 800 doubles tournament and got a second place. The only thing I had that could be concidered cheeze, was the hydra, which only really did great in one of the battles (God, I love full flame template on a big unit of swordmasters!) ;)

What I learned from that game: F*** shadow lore, I'm going dark magic again :P
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

I tend to have many different various lists built up so he comes out in certain games only, usually as a trump card against either a boasting arrogant opponent (a friend of mine who has new VC was bragging about his awesome Vampire Lord, he wasn't so happy after).

I'd like to apply as a half member though as I actually use my fluff raider list quite a bit these days just for a challenge. If anyone remembers our old Army Book and list restrictions in the back, it's essentially that only with some added magic. For those that don't, its basically Corsairs, Dark Riders, Shades and Bolt Throwers. No Hydra, no DreadPeg, no Cauldron. Makes for some fairly challenging games. Only beat Lizzies with it so far.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Half a gentleman? 'pon my word thats a silly idea! ;)
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

Well, I could either be gentle or a man...

Hang on, I feel I made a grave error here.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Perhaps we should have the group renamed: League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlefolk ;)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Like in all good gentle men's clubs, dogs and women are not allowed (said lord tsunami to celibate the international women's day :mrgreen:)

but seriously, obviously the word "gentleman" has nothing to do with genus. call it gentlewoman or whatever you wish, but the point of this initiative is for you to challenge yourself and say "yes i can!", rather than "i need to lose weight so ill stop eating cookies on fridays" :D
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Red... wrote:Perhaps we should have the group renamed: League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlefolk
...ENDARY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRnpn4cJCLc
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I know, I was being rather tongue in cheek ;) It just suddenly occured to me after reading Ataroth's post.

P.S. I'm looking forward to some cookies tomorrow :D

...ENDARY!

Haha - Awesome :D Excellent show (although its cascaded downhill considerably in recent series...)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Why not "Gentle Druchii"?
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

I must admit, I do have a respect for our Noble dark elf masters around.
Though this idea strikes me as a preparement for a new book without the pendant.

Also why dark elves generals are you so crippling yourself to a point that looks like a 6th edition dark elf armybook to me? Besides we have many and very serious "natural" weaknesses.

Back in the 6th edition there we no good hydra's, pendant or COB's.
it was a terrible age fore dark elves, and I almost pray we don't get back to that age.

by comparisson I dont see this kind of self punishment when i visit other army websites. their just happy to have powerfull models/items/combo's.

I often see chaos army who can create multiple 3+ wards saves models, full 3+ ward saves with no weakness, combined with their better stats, theyr worse then our dreadlord!

what are we supposed to do, when our black guard gets splattered by a single katapult attack? a whole investment freakin gone. toughness 3 and a 5+ armour save for our best elite regiment. I demand compensate for this, Dark elves who have sooo much experience in warfare and supposed to be tricky and evasive must have powerfull elements.

Dont get me wrong, i dont want to flame things here and I dont use a double hydra list, no captain scarlett for me. But im very afraid GW will give us a punishment, simply for our own self punishment. Why dont we first compare our "powerfull elements" against the new VC or Dwarf, LZ, WOC elements and then review this again.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Zenith, I can't speak for the founder of the idea - Lord Tsunami - but from my perspective, I think an initiative like this has several important values:

- It helps veteran players get more of a challenge out of the game. At this stage, the combination of lots of experience playing the game, combined with the strength of the Dark Elf list, means I win most of the games I play: usually fairly easily (sorry, that probably sounds fairly immodest). Adding on restrictions to the combinations I play with makes it more of a challenge for me.

- It helps to avoid cries of 'cheese' or 'broken' or 'WAAC' when I do win. By not fielding broken combos, I ensure that a defeated opponent then has nothing he can really point to within my list that is broken and so can't really scapegoat anything I've fielded as being why I won.

- It helps to weed out the men from the boys (or ladies from the girls). Almost anyone can win using a Crowned Dreadlord with Pendant on Pegasus, but not everyone can win using more restricted lists. When I win, I know I've deserved it. When someone with a double hydra, pegasus dreadlord and shadow lore wielding dagger sorceress wins...I'm not so sure. Was it their skill that won the game, or the book on autopilot? By not taking broken combos, I can dispel all doubts about any victory I might have.

To be honest, GW is going to do whatever GW is going to do when it comes to re-releasing Dark Elves. Odds are we'll find that our models will be slightly cheaper (fits the trend and lets them sell more models), we have less magic items (again, fits the trend, as they are moving towards a model of universal magic items as the norm) and our magic lore will be more powerful. I don't think that the League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen is going to influence their decisions on what will go and what will stay much in either direction.

Don't be a munchkin?

Tzelok
Beastmaster

Post by Tzelok »

Honestly my reasoning for limiting myself (which I actually did before this initiative) with certain combos (pendant on a combat character, shadow magic (period), sacrificial dagger, to some extent the hydra) is that I play MOSTLY in a friendly environment with my buddies I have been playing with since we were little kids. My opponents don't have much time to dedicate to the hobby, and play generally weaker armies and non power-gaming type builds (See: Beastmen, O&G, High Elves).

In addition to this, now that I have started playing at my local GW, I have become infamous as "The Dark Elf with Morals". Seriously, if you walk into my GW, ask about the "Sportsmanly Druchii" they know you are talking about me. Have I won any of my matches in GW? Not yet, as they are all power gamers. But I went from getting smoked to being able to tie a game no problem. I feel confident that with a bit more gaming, I will swing this to wins.

On top of that, in my own group I have been undefeated for a year now. Just last night I won with 3k of DE vs my friend's 3400 of Beastmen. This was without any of those powerful combos or items listed above. Even still my friend barely wants to play with me, so I am painting up a storm so I can finish this army and build a weaker army (see: Brettonians)

This game is supposed to be fun, but when we have such a strong list as a base, it is not much fun to take the best of the best ALL the time.

Just my 2 cents.
Army Plog Below:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63015

Scratch Built Druchii Tower:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67976&highlight=

The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

i guess every one has their own reason for joining, but for me it was for the challenge. atm, druchii are so good that it is too easy to win. now i play without the pendant lord (ok, i have it on my lvl 4, but i dont consider that broken), and the dagger, and i still roll over my opponents (no disrespect, but it is pretty much the truth). even with this gimped army i have only lost a single game out of over 20 this year. To put it simply, with the roadblock (and dagger) i would feel like the game didnt offer enough challenge to be fun, and i would have to resort to playing another team (a while at least ^^)
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Zenith wrote:it was a terrible age fore dark elves, and I almost pray we don't get back to that age.

If you think that 6th was bad then just imagine 4th edition - completely unsupported with only a list in the main rulebook for the majority of those years...then when the list did finally arrive it was badly written, full of basic spelling and grammatical errors and illogical builds as well as being uncompetitive compared to the developers' overpowered pet armies.

I'm all for balance across the armies in Warhammer - indeed, lack of game balance was one of the reasons I quit GW first time around, but like you Zenith I do not relish the thought of any kind of return to a crippled list. 4th edition was not a fun time to be a dark elf general.
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Azimyth
Beastmaster

Post by Azimyth »

Tyrannus Deathbringer wrote:I'm all for balance across the armies in Warhammer - indeed, lack of game balance was one of the reasons I quit GW first time around, but like you Zenith I do not relish the thought of any kind of return to a crippled list. 4th edition was not a fun time to be a dark elf general.

4th Edition was bad for for DE and HE. Wood Elves walked all over everyone.

I've dropped the pendant from about 80% of my lists. In fact the only list I'm using it in is the monster mash on a DL on a dragon without the crown.
My SS now gets a healing potion instead.
The look on your opponets face when your SS with the dark lore in a challenge(no where to hide) on 1 wound from 6(Soul stealer :P ) heals up is priceless
South African Players: http://www.warhammergenerals.co.za
Religion: A cult for the masses
God Protect Me ... From Your Followers
ETC: Rules for whingers who still want to play 7th
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Wow, that is quite a combo (soul stealer + healing potion) Azimyth - well spotted! The rules do indeed interact that way. Very nice :D

Don't be a munchkin?

van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Back in the 6th edition there we no good hydra's, pendant or COB's.
it was a terrible age fore dark elves, and I almost pray we don't get back to that age.

not terrible, challenging, very challenging!

Don't know why, but i missed this initiative completly.

Of course i like to win but not with gamebreaking combo's!
(sneaky) tactics, participation and taking advantage of every little tactical mistake my oponents make. (not counting forgetting, skills, abalities or phases... ALWAYS remind your opponent of those... unless he is being a douche of course) is the way to go!

i never used a DL on peg though, a pegmaster from time to time! but not often
No double hydra's under 4000 pts, and thats against dwarfs, just to give him something to shoot at. Because at least one will die before i reach their line!

I prefer dark magic over Lore of shadow anytime! pendant goes on level 4 and or not at all.

I'm a fan of the dagger though! But mostly because its just so fluffy, stabbing your own, in hope to mend your failed spell, screams dark elves to me!! It comes in handy aswell ofcourse (Maybe i'm not that much of a gentleman... My mate always says druchii suits me!). I'll try to give it up....
Nec spe, nec metu

Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I, for one, look forward to some debuffed Dark Elves in 8th. Hell, I'd even like to be the underdog army! Why? Because then a win would make me feel good, and the losses wouldn't be so bad.

Now I am almost a bit embarrased when I loose, even when I make my armylists with ETC rules.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

@dh'akor
welcome on board :)
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Good day all,

my name is Luke, and I have been lurking for about a week, and getting more and more depressed by some of the "WAAC" lists that I have seen. Your group is a breath of fresh (h)air (sorry red headed league reference). I would very much like to add my support to this group. I am going to post the army I am currently using in the 1500 point list at my local GW, for your perusal. May the twirling of ginger moustaches continue.

Yours faithfully
Luke Henshall
Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Ill Join, if I may..

Though my reasons a far from noble then most of you.

I'll join because I dont want to rely on a few magic item tricks.
And because I don't think we will enjoy those items when we're redone. therefore I will not become dependent of them.

Greetings,
Master Zenith.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The more, the merrier...
and more important, the more people use real tactics rather than powerful combos, the better chances we have to get new, intelligent tactics.
That's also a change for our opponents, who are expecting all the time the same beaten track combos, and who will have a refreshing surprise... or should I say chilling surprise?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Sign me up. Although My Legion has been using a Pendant Dreadlord, on foot, to make a Warrior horde stubborn for a couple of games now - no dark pegasus in sight and also, no Hyrda!
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

welcome aboard :)
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

I'm honored to join your extraordinary club/league.
I don't play very often, but i'm planning on a good summer campaign against chaos (Tamurkhan campaign).
No unkillable dreadlord, no double Hydra under 3.000 points, No pok, I promise.
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen