How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Akabi
Slave (off the Altar)

how to use Focus familiar

Post by Akabi »

Hi,

I have short Q about FF

Could I cast chillwind or Black horror in CC if I have a focus familiar?

the basic idea is a LV4 sorcer/dark in CO with COK support by a COB BSB against stupidity?
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Yes. The familiar acts as the source of the spell, so although your sorceress is in combat, the familiar isn't and so can cast.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Bear in mind if you're purposefully putting your Supreme Sorceress in combat, you're missing the point of having a Focus Familliar.

The initial post has so many acronyms & l33t speak in it, I had to read it three times before I understood it...
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

phierlihy wrote:The initial post has so many acronyms & l33t speak in it, I had to read it three times before I understood it...
Indeed, welcome to druchii.net Akabi but please try to to understand that some players - particularly new players, have a hard time understanding abbreviations and short hand: please try to write cohesively and you will likely find that you get more responses. I hope this makes sense!

In further response to your question, the focus familiar is an excellent tool for doing exactly that - enter close combat and still cast spells from outside of it! Its particularly nasty if you use a dragon riding supreme sorceress ;)
Akabi
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Akabi »

Hi,

thanks for the posts.

only one Q to here.

Could I cast Black horror in the same CC as in my Sorcer or Black horror count as Direct damage?
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

That question is a very grey area. Some people will say yes because it doesn't target a unit but instead targets a point on the battlefield. Some people will say no because it doesn't say it can be cast into combat. There is no real concensus either way.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

How I understand the RAW rules.

You cant cast a direct damage spell in to combat.

1. But in case of Black Horror, you are not casting at a unit, you are placing a template anywhere with in 18".

2. According to "template rules" if a template is placed on a unit in cc all models FoF that are touched, are hit.

3. There is also another rule in the BRB saying that you can't intentionally hit your own troops. you can scatter on them, but you cant deliberately place a template over them.

So in conclusion,
According to my understanding of the rules, in case of black horror you can place it in to combat, as long as your model's are not under the template.

also this might come in handy when placing the template
According to the template faq, a model in base to base contact with a template is not considered hit, the template must be over at least a portion of the model or it's base don't remember the exact wording at the moment.

(I don't have the book with me, so there is a chance I'm wrong, usually I like to double check, before posting)
Also known as Kanadian
Dante valentine
Cold One Knight

Post by Dante valentine »

RAW: you CAN cast black horror into combat as you don't have to place it on a model, merely place it. Same as you can cast purple sun and have it move across units in combat.

However, it is generally considered bad sport and i would advise against doing it. Of course if you are in a tournament where everyone turns up with dodgy, powerhouse lists that are designed to win at any cost, knock yourself out!
In the House of Valentine, Every Night Is Death Night!