Executioners and cold one model advice

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

The_Peacemaker
Dark Rider

Executioners and cold one model advice

Post by The_Peacemaker »

My local hobby store is dumping games workshop so they've had a 35% off sales for quite a while. Only stuff left is a bunch of beastmen, orcs, and a box of dark elvf executioners(10 models) and a box 5 old cold one knights.

I like collecting older models. But I've seen conversions of executioners from the basic dark elf warriors - just find a larger blade, and a tiny bit of greenstuff chainmail and you got an executioner.
So I'm wondering if its worth getting the executioners? Its like $30 CDN for 10 metal models. Pretty darn good!
I guess I'm also asking those of you who have the executioner models: are they cool? are you happy with them? or are converted warriors just as good?

And I also need some convincing on the 5 cold one knights. Cause those old donkey dinosaurs just don't look vicious enough for combat. I fee like dark elves use that varient of cold ones to pull the baggage wagons, not ride into battle.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Executioners and cold one model advice

Post by Vulcan »

Ten executioners is a drop in the bucket. You need 30 minimum, 40 is better, and 50 ideal.

Five COK, on the other hand, make a dandy chaff sweeper and flanking hammer.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Executioners are lovely models though. Only reason not to get them would be the price tag, but a nice 35% discount helps.

Of course you will need more, but 30-40 is not necessary. Mine run in a group of 24 (6x4) and are doing just fine.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
The_Peacemaker
Dark Rider

Post by The_Peacemaker »

Alrighty. Looks like I'll buy the box and convert how ever many more I need from my numerous plastic spearmen - just shave down some orc swords or another suitable sword bit from somewhere.

I think I'll get the old cold one knights as well. If anything just to collect the old stuff.
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

A quick advice on the Executioner models: Pin the blades! Yes, they're quite thin, so the process will be a pain in the rear, but it's worth it. The blade is large enough to get bumped into and get stuck in sleeves and whatnot, that the small area for joining the two bits usually doesn't hold well enough...

Just get small drill bits and then patience :)

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Pff really you got yours pinned?tried and gave up, Its horrible work and i was destroying the blade
@ op, if you got the money i would buy them, because imho executioners are some of the best looking infantry models GW produced.
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

Van awful wrote:Pff really you got yours pinned?tried and gave up, Its horrible work and i was destroying the blade

Yes, although it was a pain in the rear... A .5mm drill bit was what it took, but it was worth it :)

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Pinning is the way to go for sure. I used to repair 1 per outing before, now they are quite resilient especially since I magnetized the bases as too. The only shame is that they see the table far less then I would like. They are beautiful models.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Yeah i'm in the proces of pinning them to these bases,
http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=859#i/moscals/big/moscals_bases20mm_04.jpg
and thats a hell of a job as it is, but maybe i''l give it an other go now that i'm at it anyways.
(Will be the first unit with these bases but i'm planning on doing it army wide)

Off topic: using this one for my pegasus master
http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=861#i/2010/big/chaos_base_40mm_02.jpg 8)
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
The_Peacemaker
Dark Rider

Post by The_Peacemaker »

Place is in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Its called Warp 2.

There were no more executioners :( and the cold one knights were priced at $65 for the old stuff. Some older models are still cool looking but I was staring at the box and just felt they are so bad, even at 50% off.

Here's my loot:
35% off
Chaos Bestigors(old metal) $45 = $29.25
Chaos Beastmen Chariot $35 = $22.75
Chaos Beastmen Chariot $32 (older sticker price) = $20.8
Savage Orc Boar Boyz $30 = $19.5
Savage Orcs $35 = $22.75
Total: $115.05

The Pestigors and Khorngors I felt were overpriced at $65 for these old metal models so I said if it comes down I'll buy them and so I got %50 off.
Chaos Pestigors $65 = $32.5
Chaos Khorngors $65 = $32.5

Pretty good deals. These are Canadian prices but our dollar is the same as American so you can use the US prices as reference.