Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Special Edition vs regular ol' Edition

Post by Lion of flanders »

Hey All:

What are y'all's thoughts about the special edition book? I.e.;

what is different about the SE?
Do you plan to fork over the extra cash and buy the thing?

I rather like special edition, fancy happy crappy stuff....but I'd like to know a little more about what I'm getting that's fancy.

Also....I'm not sure I like the Witch Elf artwork that I saw on the website.

Thoughts?
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
van Awful
Highborn

Re: Special Edition vs regular ol' Edition

Post by van Awful »

Nope, no chance in hell i'm paying that much for a special cover.
I think the "normal"book cost enough as it is.
And i really did like the witch elves cover.

But to make the choice a bit easier:
The LE is allready sold out according to the GW site
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
necrotix
Trainee Warrior

Post by necrotix »

I did splash out for the SE Daemons book (Slaanesh one if you must know) and even beyond the normal buyer's remorse I wouldn't do so again. There is really nothing all that different that warrants such a hike in the price.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

And still ppl are willing to buy it xD
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

It's the collector bit that really gets people going. Some people just want to own this kind of limited edition stuff...
I like the idea of having the Collectors' Editions of the rulebooks, but Army Books and Codexes? Goes a bit too far for me, even if I do feel like I fall partly into the collectors category :P If you'd get something extra with it, be it artwork or more pictures or whatnot, then maybe, but right now it's just a fancy dust jacket...

But I do like my Collectors' Edition Warhammer Rulebook that looks like a mighty tome of knowledge! :D

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Ow no i agree, im a sucker fir CE's aswell (most games i look forward to) but that price for a different cover is way to much xD
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Shrapnels
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shrapnels »

I did buy the limited edition as I really enjoy the cover with the witch elves
and the bookmark string, even though it is not necessary, it is nice to have when you need to look something multiple times

And for the nitty gritty, I do enjoy the look of the cover page without without the army name on it, same goes for my HE LE
since I believe the aesthetics of the complete army book is much better.
Dark Elves stats for the last 6 months
W/D/L
17/3/5

Let the dice decide the outome
The_Peacemaker
Dark Rider

Post by The_Peacemaker »

Ya, if its your favorite army and your into collecting then the collectors edition stuff is fun to collect.

I almost bought the 40k Tau collector codex but in the end I don't really play 40k anymore so I couldn't justify the price.

The dark elf special edition codex has a sexy witch elf with no bra! :shock:
iamghost
Executioner

Post by iamghost »

i purchased it since i am a collector and i love limited editions lol. i know this kind of product is made just to tak emoney from people like me who love this very little things, but i enjoy them and when i can afford them i love to do it. the special edition is already gone, 1000 copies sold out and i own one of them. for a collector, this is a good feeling :) if you are not one of us, you will regret to buy it :)
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

It looks like plain old second degree price descrimination to me. Like airline seat pricing or getting whipped cream on your mocha latte.
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

iamghost wrote: if you are not one of us, you will regret to buy it :)

LOL... yeah well... I contemplated it. But then I couldn't justify the almost cost of an additional army book for a fancy slipcover. If there had been more to it than that and a wrap around cover I could have been tempted. Like a Limited edition fig maybe? I mean heck, I paid over $75 for the limited Games Day Malus Darkblade on foot mini. How many people can say they have that? (watch, 100 people will chime in saying they have it...)
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I have two :P still in blisters
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

Dragon9 wrote:
iamghost wrote: if you are not one of us, you will regret to buy it :)

LOL... yeah well... I contemplated it. But then I couldn't justify the almost cost of an additional army book for a fancy slipcover. If there had been more to it than that and a wrap around cover I could have been tempted. Like a Limited edition fig maybe? I mean heck, I paid over $75 for the limited Games Day Malus Darkblade on foot mini. How many people can say they have that? (watch, 100 people will chime in saying they have it...)

I got out of the bid for the limited edition Storm of Chaos Archaon's Standard Bearer, Kordel Shorgaar, when the price hit £40. In the end, I think it went for around £120-£130, IIRC... Talk about going all-out to collect :D

But yeah, I've also got a couple of Limited Edition army books, but didn't fancy the DE one. I happen to like the Dreadlord cover, even if the Witch Elf is without a bra :P
- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
WarlordEXE
Trainee Warrior

Post by WarlordEXE »

for a book that i won't have to bring to game with i'd be more willing to buy the SE/CE. For example my 40k rule book. I knew i was going to get the starter set ASAP and would have a little rule book to bring around with me. Problem with buying SE/CE of an army book is that unless you buy another regular copy or digital copy its going to see a lot of use, and therefore take a lot of damage. Its kinda hard to convince your self to buy a $100 dollar book when its most likely going to have scratches all over it, and the pages will most likely fall out.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Really? I actually use my book once in a blue moon for obscure rule references. Army list is all I need and I don't need the book to write one.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Collectors' editions are fine in theory, but since rulebooks are obsolete in 5 years time, I don't see the point. It's not like a model, novel or DVD that will last for as long as you want to keep hold of it...

The only 'special' edition I forked out for was the Gamer's edition in 7th - and that was primarily because it came with the large and small BRB (although that backfired a little since I was given a copy of Island of Blood for demo-ing 7th ed :shock:).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Hey LoF, long time since I've seen you. Hope to see you painting some of the new stuff. :)

I didn't consider the SE until after I had already ordered the original. Just not sure I'm willing to shell out that much more cash, (would rather use it toward the new SoB codex) but I did briefly consider it. I am a huge fan of the new fantasy books, hardcover with amazing art and tasty fluff. However, it looks like (and I may be wrong) the SE doesn't actually contain anything more than the original book, just looks nicer. So, no SE for me.

*edit* oops, trailing quote ftl..
Last edited by Fr0 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamghost
Executioner

Post by iamghost »

BTW it is sold out so... well, yep xD