What's our nastiest / killiest deathstar now?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

No Saves
Warrior

What's our nastiest / killiest deathstar now?

Post by No Saves »

Okay, let's throw good taste out of the window for a moment and try to think of what the killiest, dirtiest unit we can now field would be. I mean, you've got to try it out once, right? :twisted:

I posit that any contender must include Tullaris and a Hag with Brew. You gain +2 attacks per model on the front rank. Next you horde the unit to get an extra ten potential attacks. So now we're looking at, say, a unit of Executioners kicking out 49 attacks (champion included) plus the characters' attacks. Throw the razor standard on there and I don't care what you throw at this unit, it's going to die, and it's going to die straight away
Black Guard have even more terrifying potential in terms of infantry-shredding, but I think those executioners beat them in terms of versatility.

I think the two characters listed above are a good compromise in between loading up on characters and boosting the unit's effectiveness. And they aren't cannon-fodder like the Cauldron. Yes they may die in the first round, but their job will be done by then.
HERO
Cold One Knight

Re: What's our nastiest / killiest deathstar now?

Post by HERO »

+1 Cauldron
-1 Friend
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Witches plus Mindrazor. Lame, boring, and obvious but effective.

Next question?
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Witches with Hag w Witchbrew, tooled up Assassin, Malekith, Hellebron + Cauldron of Blood, Bloodwrack Shrine nearby, vs hexed enemy, powered by Mindrazor :killed: :killed: :killed:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
No Saves
Warrior

Post by No Saves »

I don't agree with anyone saying Witches. Of course they throw out the most attacks and are extremely nasty anyway, in when you put Mindrazor on them they will be insane, or any other buff actually. But they rely on that magical support to be truly scary. Otherwise they're still s3 so will bounce off armour even with poison adding tons of wounds. So now you have to factor a mage into the equation, hope you roll the right spell, and hope you cast it. Whereas the Executioners throw out 3 S6 AP KB attacks each every time, and there's not a think the opponent can do to stop it, nor is there any unit which can hold them up.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Big units of Warlocks maybe. A bit squishy, but a triple threat with movement, combat and magic.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

No Saves wrote:I don't agree with anyone saying Witches. Of course they throw out the most attacks and are extremely nasty anyway, in when you put Mindrazor on them they will be insane, or any other buff actually. But they rely on that magical support to be truly scary. Otherwise they're still s3 so will bounce off armour even with poison adding tons of wounds. So now you have to factor a mage into the equation, hope you roll the right spell, and hope you cast it. Whereas the Executioners throw out 3 S6 AP KB attacks each every time, and there's not a think the opponent can do to stop it, nor is there any unit which can hold them up.

Executioners do not have more than 1 attack each though, apart from champion, unless you decide to super-frenzy them which will cost a pretty penny points-wise no matter which route you decide to take in giving them super frenzy. And IMO makes a unit with that much attached to them becomes a fairly big points sink.

Death Hag + Tullaris
Tullaris + Cauldron
Death Hag + Cauldron

Are all fairly pricey options, and if you attached that much to a single unit you do need to protect it and make it big enough to get into combat.

It might be killy, but is easy to avoid and have a large footprint for template shooting as well as magic. Will also be hard to block line of sight to.

My Hobby Thread

Stats since I started playing again in 2013
W/L/D
Total: 16/21/1
vs. Demons: 0/2/0
vs. Dwarfs: 1/2/0
vs. Empire: 2/4/0
vs. High Elves: 0/4/0
vs. Lizardmen: 3/0/0
vs. Orcs & Goblins: 3/0/1
vs. Ogres: 1/0/0
vs. Skaven: 4/4/0
vs. Tomb Kings: 0/1/0
vs. Warriors of Chaos: 0/3/0
vs. Wood Elves: 2/1/0
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

The problem I have with executioners with the super frenzy, is that they are much more easily baited and frenzied units can be quite easy to deal with. Having a few small torpedo units to be mindrazored is a better tactic imo as you lose little if you fail getting mindrazor through, and crush your enemies when you do get it through.

As for deathstars, I think we have less of that than other races. A typical deathstar has have some resilience/defenses to it, so I am thinking CoK... however they cost a lot. I guess I could say CoK with a few killy chars in it, MR3, maybe a life sorceress hidden back in it.

WE with CoB is also one of those things which can work, but... still kinda frail and needs some hefty offense on characters to be allround killers.

Warlocks can be the new thing though... MR3 with those and they can't be touched by most magic, got some saves against normal shooting and can do quite a lot in close combat. I think this is something to experiment with.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

No Saves wrote:I don't agree with anyone saying Witches. Of course they throw out the most attacks and are extremely nasty anyway, in when you put Mindrazor on them they will be insane, or any other buff actually. But they rely on that magical support to be truly scary. Otherwise they're still s3 so will bounce off armour even with poison adding tons of wounds. So now you have to factor a mage into the equation, hope you roll the right spell, and hope you cast it. Whereas the Executioners throw out 3 S6 AP KB attacks each every time, and there's not a think the opponent can do to stop it, nor is there any unit which can hold them up.

Thats why i run a lvl1 mage with Beast Lore. The ground spell already makes them alot better and its cheap.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

What I like best about this new book, is even though we can make several very strong 'deathstar' units, all the various "ingredients" to a potential uber-star are best used separately to support the whole army in a MSU/MMU philosophy.

i.e. Tullaris, Cauldron of Blood, Hag with Witchbrew, Hag with Cry of War, Bloodwrack Shrine, Assassin

are best utilised spread across the whole battleline to synergise with one another and the totality of the army 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
General Kael
Shade

Post by General Kael »

A really stupid death star would be: a BSB + banner of Nagarythe, Hellebron, Lvl2 with ring of Hotek, Lvl2 with scroll and sac dagger , Lvl4 sorceress with Fozzrik's folding fortress. Then fill with either crossbowmen for range, or corsairs with hand bows for better armor and quick to fire. Hellebron gives frenzy to her unit and fear checks to the enemy. And a +4 to dispel, with a Lvl4 that's +8 to dispel. Lots of magic to use and good magic res, and unbreakable because why not.
This is such a stupid idea and I would never think of using it, but would be a tough nut to crack.
Darktalon
Warrior

Post by Darktalon »

Is there a none Khainite like "deathstar" I'm trying to stay away from them in the theme of my army until it's absolutely necessary as I really like the normal dark elf style without the frenzied uncontrolled aspect of the khainite followers.
Lysanthyr
Shade

Post by Lysanthyr »

Dreadlord w/ HA, SDC, Halberd, Black Amulet
Master w/ SDC, Halberd, Armour of Destiny
Master w/ HA, SDC, Halberd, Talisman of Presevation
Master w/ HA, SDC, Halbers, Talisman of Endurance
Death Hag w/ Witchbrew
Assassin w/ AHW, Manbane
38 Sisters of Slaughter w/ FC, Banner of Swiftness

Ends up being 6 full ranks of 7 with 2 in 7th rank
Only the DH and Ass don't have at least a 5++, but if you challenge or accept challene with them, good chance of them killin oppenent.
Fill in the rest of army with chaff.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

38 T3 models with only 6+ will die really fast to concentrated shooting, and this unit is so expensive that there will be nothing else to shoot at.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Bandit213
Slave on the Altar

Post by Bandit213 »

Lysanthyr wrote:Dreadlord w/ HA, SDC, Halberd, Black Amulet
Master w/ SDC, Halberd, Armour of Destiny
Master w/ HA, SDC, Halberd, Talisman of Presevation
Master w/ HA, SDC, Halbers, Talisman of Endurance
Death Hag w/ Witchbrew
Assassin w/ AHW, Manbane
38 Sisters of Slaughter w/ FC, Banner of Swiftness

Ends up being 6 full ranks of 7 with 2 in 7th rank
Only the DH and Ass don't have at least a 5++, but if you challenge or accept challene with them, good chance of them killin oppenent.
Fill in the rest of army with chaff.

Wow, that unit couldn't scream "Shoot me!" more.

As in, holy crap, 4 bolt throwers and mixed archers/reavers and that unit will be at 50% in one turn.
Lysanthyr
Shade

Post by Lysanthyr »

that's why the last 900+ points goes into DR's and Shades. ends up with 35 DR's and 20 Shades to take care of your enemy's shooting. not that i would ever field this, but i thought it was one hell of a deathstar.
Drasanil
Dru Perim

Post by Drasanil »

Wouldn't a theoretical SoS deathstar work better with a life sorc? Same situation as witches, except you don't have to worry about them shanking your mage plus they already have a 4++ save in close combat, so once they're on combat you can save dice on defensive buffs and use your secondary casters to either up their damage output or just blast other enemy units.

Not that I think I would ever try that, too expensive model and points as far as I am concerned.
The truth behind the Sundering:
Rork wrote:High Elf: "I'm not fat!"
Dark Elf: "Of course you're not, dear. You've just grown lazy and indolent and wrecked the inheritance for our children!"
High Elf: "I want a divorce."
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Consider a shrine in your deathstars.
It needs not to start the game inside the selected unit, though, it may join later.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Huntaro
Slave on the Altar

Post by Huntaro »

I say, Hag with withdrew, in a horde of executioners with their special character. 3A executioners.