Coming back to warhammer

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dragonelf
Slave on the Altar

Coming back to warhammer

Post by Dragonelf »

Hey. I am returning to 8th edition and looking to start a new army after a long break. Ideally one that isn't too heavy on model count.

I like the models and mythology of the DE but wonder how they stack up in the current game.

I like an army that participates in all phases and is flexible and fun.

What does a normal army build look like?
necrotix
Trainee Warrior

Re: Coming back to warhammer

Post by necrotix »

DE are in a good spot right now, not massively overpowered but are capable of competing.

Elves will always be an elite army so you're not really going to have huge hordes of infantry (at least compared to other armies) there's also plenty of variety in what to take, so competing in all phases is possible.

Normal armies... that's going to be a tough one as there are a lot of valid choices in the new Codex. I'd imagine you're going to see Dark Riders and Warlocks in pretty much every list, normally backed up with some Reapers. You may or may not see Cauldrons and Witches. That's the great thing about the current book, so many viable choices you can build the army your way.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Welcome to the site Dragon. The way the new book is built, you can build a viable army any way you like. We have potential in every phase, meaning you can play any of them up, or if you like balance it all out. Strong cav, killy troops, cheap effective magic, DE's have the potential to be built to play style as opposed to just one way.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Dragonelf
Slave on the Altar

Post by Dragonelf »

cheers, thats very helpful. I will have a look through the tactics articles and build a list.

I have noticed that a lot of lists take the supreme sorceress on the pegasus. Isn't this a bit risky, doesn't that put your general in danger of being shot by a cannon?
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

if you are not taking a DL or any other Char on a Peggy its common practice to give your SS the Cloak of Twilight and maybe an Obsidian Trinket. this will grant her a 3+ vs Shooting (which includes cannons) and a 2+ vs magic. this makes for a pretty resiliant character
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Dragonelf
Slave on the Altar

Post by Dragonelf »

Isn't she vulnerable on a pegasus? Surely a prime target.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

ofcourse you'll still need to be careful with her. its not like you can hop her in the middle of an open field and expect her to live.
but the Pegasus gives her T4 (small but noticeable) and alot of mobility to get into posistion for the right spells you want to get off on the right targets and keeping her out of LoS from those big bad cannons
giving her the CoT will only make her more survivable by giving her a 3++ ward vs anything you cant hide her from (which should generally only consist of some BS fire and the odd Magic Missile, but you give her the Trinket to give her a 2++ vs those)
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth