Am I right, can this guy take on a Bloodthirster?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Archamedius
Black Guard

Am I right, can this guy take on a Bloodthirster?

Post by Archamedius »

So I've been toying with different builds to try and get a character that can handle big scary things for me. (Blender Lord, Blood Thirster, Demon Princes, etc.) Using the Bloodthirster as a model for tough stuff to fight, I went back through the character compendium and unless I am missing something this guy looks like he can tackle it:

Dreadlord, full mundane, Ogre Blade, Black amulet, mount to taste (I currently prefer dark steed). With a dark steed and crossbow he is 282. The Bloodthirster is 500 with the gifts so he has ASF and the +d3 str and attacks (about the most brutal combination I can think of).

If my math is right, it appears as if it goes like this:

Both have ASF, so no rerolls and simultaneous attacks.

Dreadlord has 4 attacks, 2 hit, 1 wound. Bloodthirster has max 9 attacks at Str 9, of which 6 hit (2/3rds) and 5 wound. Of the 5 that wound, theoretically 2.5 are saved (round up to 3 for simplicity). So the Dreadlord does a total of 4 wounds (1+3 ward saves). With only a 5+ to save, the Bloodthirster saves 1 and I win by 1 unless he charged me in which case it's a draw. Obviously if the 2.5 goes against me I am dead, but I still did 3 wounds to that monstrosity. If I make the save I get another round and almost certainly kill it with ward saves (the dreadlord will also die in the process but at half the cost of the Bloodthirster.)

Still, it seems like I am missing something in the math here. Does anyone spot it?

Also, I wonder if the Blenderlord doesn't actually put out more damage?
------

- Pain is Temporary, Knowledge is forever.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Am I right, can this guy take on a Bloodthirster?

Post by T.D. »

...and this is why I love, and have always loved the Black Amulet (except when it was overcosted and in direct competition with the Pendant of Win-eth).

Black Amulet: Choice of the discerning Dark Elf Dreadlord (or lady) 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Black Amulet only rebounds wounds in a challenge... Does the Bloodthirster have to accept challenges? Do Blender Lords, Deamon Princes adn other Nasties? What about big solo monsters?
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Every solo character has to accept challenges... And if they're in a unit and refuse, mission still accomplished as you delegate them to back ranks and out of fight.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Amulet is perfect. However, enemy ward saves will mess with you, which is why I sometimes go for ToP, OTS and ogre blade, but of course the more attacks the enemy lands on you, the more potent the black amulet becomes.

In other words: for a single solo character meant to take out daemons and shiz; black amulet. For a combined charge of several characters (think multiple flying chars) go with OTS as that will net you better grinding force vs foes with wards.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Black Amulet combines nicely with the OTS ;). Doesn't leave a lot of room for a weapon but a halberd will do in a pinch. Or sword of might if you need it to be magical.
7th edition army book:

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Thraundil wrote:Amulet is perfect. However, enemy ward saves will mess with you, which is why I sometimes go for ToP, OTS and ogre blade, but of course the more attacks the enemy lands on you, the more potent the black amulet becomes.

In other words: for a single solo character meant to take out daemons and shiz; black amulet. For a combined charge of several characters (think multiple flying chars) go with OTS as that will net you better grinding force vs foes with wards.

Good comment. But for the multicharge option it is best that the OTS is on a character distinct from either 4++ option. That way you mess up the enemies wards without messing up your own 8)
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Dalamar wrote:Black Amulet combines nicely with the OTS ;). Doesn't leave a lot of room for a weapon but a halberd will do in a pinch. Or sword of might if you need it to be magical.

Yeah the ultimate combo. But then you just scream solo character killer, and often you might want some tools vs say MC too. The ogre blade is really a must, in my opinion :/

T.D. wrote:Good comment. But for the multicharge option it is best that the OTS is on a character distinct from either 4++ option. That way you mess up the enemies wards without messing up your own 8)

Remember OTS doesnt force rerolls of the models own ward save. And if you charge multiple flying characters into say a daemon or PG unit, you get to choose how to place them. Just maximise models - which typically means your own chars wont be in B2B, but you can place the OTS model in the middle, and then place the two others such that they can hit a model touched by OTS, but they are not touched by OTS themselves. And suddenly all ward saves must be rerolled =]

Alternatively. Cloakmaster + OTS dreadlord work wonders. No ward save on the cloak dude to even worry about. Toss in a master with dawnstone too. So many good combos available =]
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

What about Armor of Fortune, full mundane, lance, Cloak of Twilight and Luckstone? Mounted on a Peg. How do the numbers play out then?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Not very good for the dreadlord :P
7th edition army book:

MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Dalamar wrote:Every solo character has to accept challenges... And if they're in a unit and refuse, mission still accomplished as you delegate them to back ranks and out of fight.

Interesting - what about solo monsters, like a Frostheart or dare I say K-Beast?
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Thraundil wrote:Remember OTS doesnt force rerolls of the models own ward save. And if you charge multiple flying characters into say a daemon or PG unit, you get to choose how to place them. Just maximise models - which typically means your own chars wont be in B2B, but you can place the OTS model in the middle, and then place the two others such that they can hit a model touched by OTS, but they are not touched by OTS themselves. And suddenly all ward saves must be rerolled =]

I meant by keeping the OTS caddy out of B2B of your own heavy lifters in a multiple character list.

I prefer for my heavy lifters to have the power tools, such as OgB/BA, CoT or ToP/FB or ObB, with the OTS on a master (i.e. Dawnstone, OTS).

There are of course advantages to the OTS + ToP + OB approach, but the above when running multiple flying characters is a personal preference.

What about Armor of Fortune, full mundane, lance, Cloak of Twilight and Luckstone? Mounted on a Peg. How do the numbers play out then?

I think the AoD/Dawnstone is our best combatant outside of the Black Amulet or Cloak-and-nuke builds. Its also a lot less risky than Cloak-and-nuke :P

Interesting - what about solo monsters, like a Frostheart or dare I say K-Beast?

Problem with the new variant BA is that it only works on characters in challenges. But it is still a bargain for 15 points more than the ToP :)