How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

A Naggarothi Dreadlord in the Court of King Orion

Post by T.D. »

So, the time has come for the Wood Elves to get their days in the sun.

A quickening in the forest realm has seen Orion and Ariel rouse their subjects to war. One thousand Heralds of their court ride to the four corners of Athel Loren to prepare a might host...

...but unbenknownst to the foppish and decadent lords and ladies of the Asrai:

The 378th amongst the thousand inner chamber Warlords is in fact a Dark Elf Dreadlord in disguise!

That's right: ME BABY, ME!

On a mission from Malekith to bring this corrupt and unruly vassal state down from the inside :twisted:

WAHA

WAHAHAHAHA

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

/out of character

So I got my copy of the Wood Elf book and have enjoyed perusing it over the last few days. I deliberately have avoided the Wood Elf threads so I could better appreciate the fresh arrival.

Doubtless you are all up to speed already, but I have to say the standout feature for the new list for me are:

1) Begin the game 36' no AS cheapshot! :shock:
2) Glade Guard Guns!!! :shock: including -3AS bullets (does this stack with the bows AP?)
3) Waywatcher High Velocity Armour Piercing Sniper Rifles! Shoot twice or delete armour :shock:

Wood Elves are designed to make Dark Riders cry!
Wood Elves are designed to make Cold One Knights cry!!
Wood Elves are designed to nerf my favoured playstyle!!!
Therefore, Wood Elves are designed to make me cry :cry:

Sneak Preview: How to defeat Wood Elves?

Walk up to them and STAB THEM IN THE FACE!!! :killed: :twisted:

More details of how this stabbery can best be achieved to follow...
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: A Naggarothi Dreadlord in the Court of King Orion

Post by Amboadine »

They are indeed going to be a handful whilst we get used to them, they have many tools to deal with our units.
Lovely models though. Remember not to let their ways cause you to stray from the true elven path and our righteous lord.
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

Is the thread title a Mark Twain reference?
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Brad wrote:Is the thread title a Mark Twain reference?

A story about journeying to an Old World society 1300 years behind our own? A story about New-Worlding, civilising and improving this primitive society? Appearing comparatively magical and powerful to these poor bumpkins; subverting their feudal society and improving their lot in life? Perhaps :mrgreen:
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

"Walk up to them and STAB THEM IN THE FACE!!! :killed: :twisted:" -- This made my day :)
Silvershadow
Warrior

Post by Silvershadow »

The thought of a dark elf infiltrating the wood elves for the purpose of turning them (or at least using them) to the cause of the true lord of elves (hail Malekith!) is an interesting one. Best of luck with that :)
I haven't thought too much about the fluff for my wood elves yet but perhaps with their new-found attunement to dark magic some interesting ideas can indeed be possible...

As for armor piercing, no they don't stack - the arrows replace the standard profile of the bow, and even if they hadn't you would only get the benefit of a special rule once unless otherwise specified.
8th edition Dark Elf book: 11-1-5 before I lost track

All hail the Eternity King!
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Askador wrote:"Walk up to them and STAB THEM IN THE FACE!!! :killed: :twisted:" -- This made my day :)

As Hagatha, the Prietess of my Witch Coven says, "The fastest way to a man's heart is.....through his ribcage."

:twisted:
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Silvershadow wrote:As for armor piercing, no they don't stack - the arrows replace the standard profile of the bow, and even if they hadn't you would only get the benefit of a special rule once unless otherwise specified.

Thank you!

Gidean wrote:As Hagatha, the Prietess of my Witch Coven says, "The fastest way to a man's heart is.....through his ribcage." :twisted:

That makes for a good signature line :P
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a Dark Elf in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

- T.D., excerpt from the journal Fear and Loathing in Tal Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the Asrai Dream

Athel Loren is a strange and fey land where no one can be sure of the time. In Naggaroth this problem was solved by the invention of watches.

Join me on a road trip into the unspoken truths of the history and culture of our wayward kin...

THE HISTORY OF THE ASRAI

The Wood Elves of Athel Loren, as they style themselves, chronicle the events of their realm in a series of 'great seasons':

THE FORGOTTEN SEASON

As you get to know the Wood Elves and their decadent and depraved ways better, you'll understand why whole Ages of the World could be forgotten.

THE SEASON OF REBIRTH
Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SACTy2rZ7kE

Our great forebears of pre-sundering Ulthuan spread out across what was to become known to the mortals as The Old World. But there were some who could not keep up with the embryonic social Darwinism that Our Dear Leader Malekith was beginning to impose on the questing Elves of the Colonies. These cowardly Elves came to be known as "Hippies", and took to living in the forests of what was to become known as "Athel Loren".

As we all know, the population of Ulthuan became lost to weakness and evil, and failed to follow Our Lord and Saviour Malekith to world domination. We upped stakes to the fine winter skiing and occasional ice hockey of Naggaroth, leaving our lesser siblings to the degeneracy of living inside a vast psychic plughole for the winds of magic, while the Hippies got ****-scared by all the macho warfare ...and cowered even deeper into the forests of the Old World.

It was at this time that the Wood Elves discovered "the Leaf and the Mushroom". While the 'Asur' fell by rejecting Malekith, the Asrai tuned in, turned on, and dropped out. The psychedelic effects of the plants and fungus of Athel Loren consumed these fallen Elves to the degree that it became the touchstone and defining facet of their culture. It was at this point that the Wood Elves started seeing "Forest Spirits".

Yes, you read that right. Forest Spirits.

Wood Elf Glossary #1 -- Forest Spirits
Forest Spirits do not exist.
But with the right amount of the right mushrooms, you too can see them!

Thankfully for all those who value productive lifestyles, the Dwarves gave the Hippies a good series of kickings. So did the Orcs. It was at this point that two cunning Wood Elves decided to dress up as "demi-gods" in order to give a semblance of order to their anarchic society. Ever since this ruthless, underhanded power-grab, Orion and Ariel have ruled their drug-addled fellows with a rod of iron, encouraging the despicable act of worship to keep their sinister heirarchy afloat.

Wood Elf Glossary #2 -- The Weave
The Weave does not exist.
But with the right amount of the right mushrooms, you too can see it!
The Weave:

The Season of Withering
Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU66neLSfHQ

A shadow was beginning to rise in Athel Loren. Ariel-of-the-stupid-Butterfly-wings costume called it Cyanathair. Others knew it as Morghur. We know it as The Police.
That's right; the law abiding non-Elf citizens of Athel Loren had got together and organised a police force to clear the Forests of the blight of strunken and disorderly Wood Elves and their insatiable shoplifting.
Good Times.
The emerging human kingdoms were also pretty pissed at having the Wood Elves as neighbours. They may be mortals, but at least they can build things.

The Season of Revelation
Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqXmBy1_qOQ

Wood Elves continue on in their ongoing quest to evade The Law.
Unfortunately for the True Ruler of Ulthuan, Emperor Malekith, his ex-wife was Ariel's sister (Elven Royalty being as in-bred as modern human royalty it seems :roll:)
Fortunately Morathi, conscious of the damage inbreeding does to bloodlines, done got her whacked like the gangsta she is :mrgreen:
The genetic purity of the Elven race was maintained, and all was well with the world.

The Season of Retribution
Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBzY7F2lMNo

Whispers of foreign lands and their psychoactive products were beginning to reach the ears of the Wood Elves.
Ghrond, with its reputation as the Amsterdam of the North, was first in the crosshairs.
A football-crowd's worth of Wood Elves travelled on "The Worldroots" (a budget airline; think Easyjet) to indulge and riot, as is there wont.
Our Great Queen, genius that she is, bribed Ariel (and by association henpecked Orion) to go back home by palming her off with the recipe for Crack and some speedballs to see her on her way. Ariel had also gotten stabbed by one of our policemen in the earlier rioting. All in all it was a good day.

The Wood Elves took to using The Worldroots to molest the fine upstanding citizens of various nations of the world. Lustria, with it's sweet Coca leaf produce was thoroughly abused. Ariel in particular, and the Wood Elves in general, sank deeper into depravity than ever before...

(For the sake of her modesty we will not catalogue these lows here)

The Season of Redemption
Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7R7q1lSZfs

Orion eventually managed to get Ariel to rehab and took the throne.
(Or maybe he wanted the throne all along and used her crack addiction as an excuse?)
Freed from his nagging wife, Orion, chief Munchy-procurer of the society led the less slothful Wood Elves on a series of massive midnight raids for Munchies.
(You have to feel for the law-abiding, hard working peoples of Bretonnia and the Empire. With neighbours like the Wood Elves, who needs enemies?)
Ariel bribed two rehab nurses to keep an eye on her errant husband. The Wood Elves know these as Naestra and Arahan.

The Saga of Naestra and Arahan
Naestra and Arahan are in jail. Arahan looks through the bars of Naestra's cell to see her hanging by her feet.
Arahan: "Naestra, what are you doing?"
Naestra: "I'm hanging meself!"
Arahan: "Surely the rope should be around your neck, Naestra?"
Naestra: "I tried that Arahan, but I couldn't breathe."

Naestra and Arahan were walking down the road, Naestra with a bag of Donuts in hand.
Naestra says to Arahan, "If you can guess how many donuts are in my bag you can have both".

Naestra and Arahan are riding a two-elf Eagle that is spiralling out of control towards the ground.
Naestra asks, "If this Eagle turns upside down, do you think we'll fall out?"
"Of course not", Arahan replies, "We've been friends for years".

Naestra and Arahan were walking along throwing stones at the ground.
Naestra missed.

Eventually, Ariel was sprung from her institution, as Orion isn't the smartest tool in the box, and needed her help to outwit...

...you guessed it: The Police!

The Season of Doom
Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFJdUJg4wOk

Paranoia was rife in Athel Loren. Perhaps you can guess why.
The Wood Elves find Daemons in caves adjacent to Athel Loren ...despite being nowhere near the Realm of Chaos. At least we have a border with the Chaos Wastes and an excuse for such outbreaks! Stupid Wood Elves.
It was at this time that a new cultural hero emerged for the Wood Elves:

Lord Araloth of Talsyn

Araloth translates into Drukh-Eltharin as "Lazy Bastard"

More about Araloth later. He helps his King and Queen evade Police entrapment once more, winning their favour (and very probably access to rare and expensive drugs).

Despite this narrow escape from justice, Orion has an LSD-related breakdown. Bad trips can suck. A lot of stuff goes down in the old world, leading to the political foment in which we currently find ourselves...

So ends our excursion into the history of the Wood Elves. All that is left to be told of is the greater Mythology of this debased culture. The Wood Elves, like hillbilly survivalists everywhere, believe the End-Times are coming (I'm not joking). They are anticipating a time when their benefits will run out. They call this fast approaching future the Rhana Dandra.

Rhana Dandra translates into Drukh-Eltharin as "Big Meth Party"

The sages of the Wood Elves believe that only Oblivion awaits beyond the Rhana Dandra. We call what awaits "Getting A Job".

Amboadine wrote:Remember not to let their ways cause you to stray from the true elven path and our righteous lord.

Many have asked if I fell to the temptations of our wasted kinsmen in the course of this perilous espionage for the cause of Truth, Justice and The Naggarothi Way! To maintain my incognito state, alas I had to partake. But I did not inhale!

Coming soon: Myself and Dr. Shade profile the Foul Denizens of this backward and isolationist Hermit Kingdom!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Well that is an interesting twist :)
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

LOL! This thread made my day. Thank you sir! :lol:
[/i]There was no sin in Naggaroth save weakness: the Witch King commanded the fealty of conquerors and slave masters - anything less was prey. [/i] Malus Darkblade

Pictures of my army:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67423
My Rorhirrim:
http://z10.invisionfree.com/LOTR_Brasil ... st=0&#last
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

We were somewhere around Tal Eth Ayr, on the edge of the clearing, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like:

T.D.: "I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive."

Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, and a voice was screaming:

Holy Asuryan. What are these goddamn animals?

*swatting the air*

T.D.: "Huh! Huh! Huh! ******* Beastmen!"

Dr. Shade: "Did you say something?"

T.D.: "Hm? Never mind. It's your turn to drive."

No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough.

- excerpt from Fear and Loathing in Tal Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the Asrai Dream

Now you know your history, it is time to study the geography, flora and fauna of this wasteland Kingdom.

Athel Loren:
Yes, just trees.

Athel Loren is divided into many lesser satraps, ruled by a feudal lord or lady, and all squabbling beneath the table of King Orion and Queen Ariel. Occupying different lines of latitude and longitude, communication is a problem due to vast distance, wall-to-wall trees, and inability to tell the time. Let's take a look at some of these Khaine-forsaken provinces:

Your regular Tuesday night in Fyr Darric

Talysn
The province where stuff happens. Thanks to the main airport being located here, imports and narco-consumption are rife; explaining why this province is also the centre of the "Forest Spirit" cult.

Arranoc
Give me an R! Give me an O! Give me a Hypnol! Yes, Arranoc is the place where you never let your drink get out of your sight. At least we Dark Elves are upfront about our intentions. The Wood Elves however are even greater hypocrites than the Asur (if your mind has not exploded from that mental image, compose yourself and read on...). Under the guise of "Hospitality" they drug and sacrifice their "guests" to the Daemons of the Underworld. I kid you not.
Truly this is a race that must be wiped from the earth!

A festival in Argwylon

Argwylon
The province where the denizens and customs are most similar to that of Ulthuan.
And yes, no one likes them! !lol!

Modryn
Atmospheric. Worth a day trip.

Monday night in Torgovann. And yes, they all have work in the morning.

Cavaroc
The Elves here are so poor, they don't even have trees!

Atylwyth
Good skiing. Overpriced in the holiday seasons, but if you don't mind your kids missing some school the pistes are fine in early spring.

This is all I can remember of me and Dr. Shade's time in Arranoc. I made sure to swallow my Pendant of Khaeleth and put on my Black Armour before the night went down. Dr. Shade made do with a Seed of Rebirth.

Cythral
Best woods in Loren. Great choice of outdoors activities.

Tirsyth
Least nightlife in Loren. Avoid.

Average wednesday night in Tirsyth.

Wydrioth
White water rafting, bungee jumping, rockclimbing. Highly recommended.

Fyr Darric (pronounced: Fir Derek)
These locals have more of an attitude problem than the average Lorenite. Inbred.

Yn Edryl Koiran (King's Glade)

Torgovann
Wood Elves that work! That can cook and clean! That can tidy up after themselves! :shock: Have great promise as slaves. However will need supervision: Just compare the quality of their armour to ours. The Wood Elves really are the shallow end of the Elf gene pool.

Anmyr
The only province where the Police have clamped down hard enough on the anarchy!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Athel Loren Bestiary: The Wood Elves and their Imaginary Friends

We learn a lot of what we need to know about the Wood Elves from their version of the Pantheonic Mandala.

Khaine has been demoted to 14th :shock: The centre position is occupied by ...both Kurnous and Isha! They can't even make up their minds as to who is the supreme God!!! This schizophrenic attitude to life is part and parcel of being a Wood Elf. Their sense of divinity is "Daddy!" and "Mummy!"

Basically, it's a cry for help to an uncaring Universe. At least the Asur have some sense of cosmic scale and panache.

Malekith weeps for his wayward subjects :cry:

What the fauna of Athel Loren looks like to us:

What the fauna of Athel Loren looks like to the Wood Elves:

"Highborn" of Athel Loren
A Naggarothi beggar is more highborn than one of these cats, but we'll let that go for elfropological reasons. Lacking the valour, war courage, and basic elfanity to fight toe-to-toe, these effete weaklings take armour piercing pot-shots from miles away ...before the battle even starts! It's just low. Low, low, low.

Spellsingers
When not conducting raves these female and male (male sorcerors -- I think that is cause for a pogram, don't you?) spell casters can be found stinking up a battle field near you. They deal in both the Ulthuan produce and our fine Naggarothi-processed Lustrian best.

Eternal Guard
Close your eyes and picture a Black Guard. Now imagine he can't fight. This is an 'Eternal' Guard.

Glade Guard
Like all Wood Elves, Glade Guard are as dangerous in close combat as wet toilet paper. Unfortunately though, like 3rd World militias everywhere, they have access to automatic weapons. Take a look:

Two Glade Guard get ready for War

Arcane Bodkins: -3AS. Bye bye Dark Riders!
Hagbane Tips: Poison! !eek!
Moonfire Shot: Wound anything soppy on at least a 5+, whilst setting it on fire!
Starfire Shot: Wound anything cool on at least a 5+, whilst setting it on fire!
Swiftshiver Shards: Turns their bows into our Rxb ...with a range of 30"!
Trueflight Arrows: Heat-seeking, laser-guided, satellite-controlled smart arrows :shock:

They have guns. Lots of guns.

Glade Riders
The poor folk's Dark Riders.

Unicorns
Unicorns do not exist. See Forest Spirits.

Warhawk Riders
Surfing on birds. Only in Athel Loren!

Great Eagles
The world's most endangered species. Why can't the lesser Elves learn to treat their creatures like we treat our beautiful Pegasi? :cry:

Wildwood Rangers
Imagine an Executioner. Now imagine he sucks at fighting and is a Wood Elf. Ta Da!

Wardancers
The poor folk's Sister's of Slaughter. Except with some males.

Shadowdancers
Wardancers who deal Meth.

Sisters of the Thorn
Can only be killed by being irretrievably mutilated beyond all recognition.

Wild Riders
Usual sub-standard Wood Elf fighters. Natty helmets though.

Great Stags
Unlike Unicorns, great stags do in fact exist. They keep a low profile though, as they exist in mortal terror of Orion. Think about it.

Waywatchers

Two Waywatchers prepare for our glorious host to march along the forest trails.

Glade Guard have Guns. Waywatchers have Rail-Guns. This seems excessive in a medieval world, but we do have to face facts.

Standard Waywatcher wargear

So you've spent how much on beautiful cavalry models? You've invested how much time in making awesome cavalry-based army lists? Your troops are wearing how much armour? Doesn't matter -- they're going to get executed from across the field by these guys. And your regular guys hit at an automatic rate of fire !mad!

Dryads
The mythology of the Wood Elves tells of Dryads existing before the beginning of time. In truth, this is a guilt-based fallacy. Dryads are Wood Elves. They are a recent and rapidly expanding clique of Loren-dweller, dating from the time of Ariel's first successful batch of crystal Meth:

A Wood Elf on Meth helped me prepare this picture

Treemen
Treemen do not exist. See Forest Spirit.

What a Treeman looks like to us:

What a Treeman looks like to the Wood Elves:

Treeman Ancient
See Treemen.

What a Treeman Ancient looks like to us:

What a Treeman Ancient looks like to the Wood Elves:

Treekin
See Treemen.
Smaller than Treemen and usually associated with a lower dose of Ayahuasca.

Treeman and Treekin

Some Wood Elves believe they can turn into Treekin. These Elves are very disturbed.

Forest Dragons
Forest Dragons do exist.
And they are cool like our own Black kind. Yet another reason to invade and conquer :mrgreen:

Durthu
One very angry Tree.

Orion
The poor man's Malekith.

Ariel
Unlike Our Dear Queen, Ariel -- the Syd Barrett of Talsyn -- is too chicken to fight. She will happily sacrifice her whole people to keep her wealth, privilege and vast shoe collection. For shame! Morathi on the other hand, leads from the front, not asking of us that which she is not prepared to risk herself! Hooray!
The poor women's Morathi, and an inferior chemist to boot.

Araloth

A delusional amongst a delusional people, Araloth was originally, like his Queen, too chicken to fight (just your average Wood Elf then). What changed him was an encounter with a goddess.
Now, you and I know that goddesses don't exist.
The origin of this Damscene experience was in fact something that we know do in fact exist: Ancient Aliens.
Yes, the Old Ones!
Araloth was abducted and probed, and his whole subsequent persona an attempt to deal with the Ganymedian frustration !eek!

Araloth's girlfriend

Araloth now pursues a life of folly in opposition to the Will of the Witch King.

Skaryn the Eye Thief -- he is in fact a cat, and only thinks he can fly; an occupational hazard for all those who associate with the Wood Elves.

Drycha
Too much, too young.

Naestra and Arahan
We met them earlier. Famed for their intelligence amongst the Wood Elves.

So as you can see, by conquering this banana republic we are doing a great favour not only for the Wood Elves, but for the law-abiding citizens of the forest, and for all surrounding nations. The rot has gone on too long and spread too wide.

But we must take care in the annexation, lest we get bogged down in a "Vietnam"-type extended guerilla war!

Athel Loren, as with failed Narco-States the world over, is a vortex of corruption; with a wide dissemination of automatic weapons due to the paranoia and short-sightedness of its leaders, as well as its internal lack of justice. Truly this assimilation will be a noble quest fitting for our great nation. These poor misguided Elves will be welcomed back into the bosom of Our Lord Malekith, True Ruler of All Elves, King of Ulthuan, Emperor of the Warhammer World, and will become slaves almost our equals -- which surely we deserve -- while their forest land will be civilised, developed, cut down and used to fuel the glorious economic expansion and rise of living standards of Naggaroth.

Today Athel Loren, tomorrow the Warhammer World!

Coming soon: Wood Elf Strategy, Wood Elf Tactics, Wood Elf Army Lists, Wood Elf Keys to Victory
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Very nice. Liking the Waywatchers standard equipment :)
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Wood Elf Strategy

Wood Elf Tactics

Wood Elf Army Lists

Wood Elf Keys to Victory

Coming Next: How to stab them in the face!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

It's time to get down to business! :twisted:

How to Stab Every Single One of the Wood Elves In the Face (Part I)

CORE UNITS

Problem: Glade Guard

30" AP 12ppm
Enchanted Arrows (EA) options:
+ Poison 15ppm -> auto-wounds all our monsters (and everything else) on 6s to hit
+ Flaming, +1 wound order 16ppm
+ Flaming, +1 wound chaos 16ppm -> wounds all our monsters on 5s, troops and characters on 3s; peg-mounted 4s (hint: DBG)
+ -3 AS 17ppm -> Auto penetrates shielded DR, reduces Knights to 5s, mounted combat characters to 4s, deletes Corsair save
+ MS(2) 16ppm -> Allows them to compete with our Rxb, but with longer range
+ no shot penalty 15ppm -> very useful esp. for their scouts, and for winning match-ups vs our Rxb and Shades

Excellent and versatile core option. I expect to see large units of poison GG, or MSU GG with a range of arrow choices.

Solutions:

Rxb 12ppm 24" AP / 13ppm for 5+ save (6+ minus their AP) and parry
- Deploy out of range of their bows, then move into range or deploy max forward to engage ASAP
- While the Rxb may lose head-to-head, better to lose Rxb than elites alternatively if WE player focuses on elites then we can get into short range to make full use of the multishot capacity of our Rxb (costs him 3-4 points more to achieve same rate of fire)
- Have a slight advantage over GG in CC thanks to MP, so long as not in wood, as well as superior save (5+, parry) => charging is option :twisted:

RBT 70p 48" 6 x S4
- Low number of shots but notable for being our only conventional way of outranging plus subsequent effect on Wood Elf players placement of his GG.

-> Engage with close combat infantry unit ASAP, or pin with flyer/chaff in order to stop the unit shooting until CC unit can arrive.
-> Fast elements should use mobility to engage from flank or rear, or alternatively move between long range and inside stand and shoot range to minimise direct fire opportunities.

Problem: Dryads

As Elf but T4, A2, Fear, 6++ 11ppm

Good blocker unit that can also do a lot of damage to most other core infantry. We have the tools to beat Dryads, but they can hurt every one of our infantry units while potentially holding them in place longer than we'd like thanks to T4.

Solutions:

Witch Elves 11ppm, Executioners 12ppm, Black Guard 15ppm, Corsairs 11ppm, SoS 15ppm, Rxb 12-13ppm

-> Witch Elves with I6, 3A, poison for the same points are at the front of the queue (also Itp to protect against Fear roll). Execs wound easy but 1 attack, no RR. BG I6, 2A, 5+AS but more expensive. SoS I6, 2A, 4++ but more expensive. Corsairs also option thanks to their 2A or RhB, 4+AS.
-> CoC for impact hits, S4
-> Witchbrew for Frenzy + Turbo-frenzy and bound spell/Cauldron effect as power multipliers

Problem: Glade Riders

As Dark Rider but minus light armour or shield option, plus Bow, plus Ambush, plus MS option (25p), plus GG arrow options 19ppm (minus EA)

Very flexible fast cavalry thanks to ambush. Arrow options add to power, but cost ramps up.

Solutions:

Dark Riders 20ppm (shield+Rxb)
- Outvolume when within range

RBT 70p 48" 6 x S4
- Outrange

Rxb 12ppm 24" AP / 13ppm
- volume of fire

-> Shoot them! Or engage in CC if you can catch them!
-> Also vulnerable to magic missiles and flame templates

Problem: Eternal Guard

As Black Guard but minus 1A, light armour, asrai spear, shield option for 1 pt, 25 MS, no MW option 11ppm/12ppm

Due to volume of attacks from spear formation (inc forest extra rank) and armour piercing these are a good counter to our own infantry units, and other T3 infantry, for a good price.

Solutions

Witch Elves thanks to I6, 3A and same points value. Dreadspears/Bleakswords will lose but can hold up at 9ppm. Corsairs 5+ save and one more frontal attack for same points. After this BG>SoS>Exec.
Hydra laughs at S3 and AP. As do all our monsters. CoC for impact hits.
Witchbrew and CoB as force multipliers.
Rxb fire.

SPECIAL

Problem: Wildwood Rangers

As Exec but minus heavy armour, Itp, +1A vs fear + terror foes, less MS (25)

2A, WS5, S5 makes these good anti-cavalry (esp. our fear causing cav), anti-monsters.

Solutions

Witch Elves thanks to I6, 3A and same points value. Dreadspears/Bleakswords will lose but can hold up at 9ppm. AHW/Rhb Corsairs. After this SoS>BG>Execs.
Rxb fire.

Problem: Wardancers

As SoS minus special rules, 1A, shield, 4++ in CC / plus 6++, Itp, Skirmish (-1 to hit from shooting), 15ppm (16ppm w spear)

Plus Shadow Dances (must choose one, must change each CC phase):

- AP + KB
- +1A
- 3++
- enemy loses extra ranks bonus for CC

Wood Elf Wardancers have greater tactical flexibility than our own Wardancers. But I'd take our Sisters over them in a straight fight, even in a forest. Moreover, it is to our advantage if they have a Shadowdancer in the unit thanks to Trial of Blades.

Skirmish and forest stalker makes them excellent chaff, and their dances synergise with their blocking ability; I'd expect to see the ward in the first CC phase when holding up, followed by whatever dance is most advantageous for the moment. Interestingly they have the option of equipping individual models (not whole unit!) with spears for +1 point. I expect this to result in "Wardancer Cubes"; ranked narrow and deep with spears in the back rank to maximise the amount of attacks in a small frontage, with 3++; reforming to a max. wide formation and offensive dance next phase.

Solutions

Sisters of Slaughter, Witch Elves. BG>Execs. Corsairs esp. Rhb in a pinch.
Rxb fire.

Problem: Tree Kin

As Elf but MI with S4, T5, W3, I3, A3, Flammable, 4+AS, 6++, 45ppm (135 unit)

Excellent blockers let down only by flammable. For 135 points T5, 9W, 9A (+3xStomp), S4. Compare Hydra 160 points for T5, 5W, 8A, TStp, S5.

Solutions

(Flaming) Witch Elves. (Flaming) Executioners. (Flaming) CoK, CoC. Warlocks (poison/4++), Medusa (I-based attacks). Pegasus characters.
Breath Weapon Hydra, Kharibdyss, Manticore, Dragon
Flaming Rxb
RBT

Problem: Deepwood Scouts

Glade Guard that scout and skirmish for base 13ppm

Thanks to skirmish and scout, Deepwood Scouts are often a better candidate for EA than core Glade Guard. Those nasty effects can be coming from within cover in the middle of the field or in your own deployment zone!

Solutions

As Glade Guard.
Shades can out-shoot, out-fight and counter deployment of basic Deepwood Scouts, but at 18-19 ppm.

Problem: Warhawk Riders

WS 4 S3 A1 bow, spear (S4 charge)
WS 4 S4 T4 W3 A2 AP (KB charge)

45 ppm (min. 135 unit)

Flexible unit, but expensive. Combines max speed and manoeuvrability with 30" bow fire and countercharge threat to cavalry thanks to KB, S4, AP.

Solutions

RBT. Rxb fire. Warlocks (Poison, 4++, Doombolt). CoK, CoC. GW Shades. Pegasus characters.

Problem: Sisters of the Thorn

As Dark Riders but BS5, Ld9, Steed S4, Poison, 12" AP Poison shooting, 4++, Lv2 Spellcaster
FC option, 50p MS option

26 ppm (min 130 p unit)

The Wood Elves Warlocks equivalent. Not as good in close combat, and spell choice is not as good. Speed, shooting, magic and ward make these a decent unit and a good synergistic element for Wood Elf lists.

Solutions

Warlocks 25 ppm 1 S3, 2 S4 poison attacks per model. Doombolt and Soulblight.
Dark Riders, Cold One Knights, CoC, Pegasus characters.
RBT and Rxb fire.

Problem: Wild Riders

As Cold One Knights but minus MW option, lance, heavy armour, shield, CO mount (stupidity), -1I, plus steed I4 + 1A, plus devastating charge, fast cavalry, 6++, shield option

26 ppm (28 shields)

The proverbial glass cannon. 3 S5 AP + 2 S4 attacks on the charge per model. Grind at S4. Can be formed up narrow to make use of extra ranks fighting, with characters in the front (as with our Master Buses). Or wide to maximise models in combat.

=> Anything aside from a Witch Elf CoB horde (I6) should avoid being charged by these guys!

Solutions

Only 5+, 4+ armour save with shields and 6++ for an expensive unit with a crippling charge => shooting them should be one of your top priorities!

Dark Rider Rxb, Shade Rxb, RBT, Rxb (by probability of being in range)
Charging them preferable to being charged with Warlocks, though Dark Riders can stand and shoot.
(Even if you can't win the combat, it is better to charge the WR than be charged by the WR).
Don't let them charge your Knights (easier said than done) but if you can get the charge with our Knights you will crush them.

Preferred charge: 1+ Pegasus master -- outrange and manoeuvre, will damage them on the charge, and will be able to grind them. Flying hero/lord on Monster also.

Receiving charge: Witch Elves (I6, multiattacks + CoB effects) > SoS (WS6, I6, 2A, 4++) > Black Guard (I6, S4, 2A) or Rxb for stand and shoot > Rhb Corsairs > Ahw Corsairs > Spears/Swords.

--> Remember Frenzy so opportunities to (i) bait and (ii) force overrun!

RARE

Problem: Waywatchers

As Shades but -1 WS, 30' AP bow, option to (1) multi-shot or (2) delete armour 20ppm

A fearsome opponent of any of our cavalry based lists!

Solutions

Shades 16ppm-19ppm.
- Counter deployment with Scout.
- Shades shorter range but match shooting when in range (no armour deleting option, but irrelevant in this head to head).
- Shades out fight in CC.

Rxb fire

RBT 70p 48" 6 x S4
- Low number of shots but notable for being our only conventional way of outranging plus subsequent effect on Wood Elf players placement of his WW.

- Hydra; T5, regen; absorbs shots and breath weapon template
- Dragon; Flight, T6; absorbs shots and breath weapon template
- Warlocks for speed, 4++, 2 S4 + 1S3 A, Doombolt, Soulblight
- Manticore; Flight, T5
- CoC (T5, impact hits)
- Character with Black Dragon Egg (template + bonuses)

-> Magic, shoot and/or pin with flyer/chaff in order to stop the unit shooting until CC unit can arrive.
-> Fast elements should use mobility to engage from flank or rear, or alternatively move between long range and inside stand and shoot range to minimise direct fire opportunities.
-> Priority target to take out therefore (by reliability + range): (1) RBT, (2) Magic Missile, (3) Magic Other, (4) Breath Weapon, (5) Pin in CC with Fast Cavalry, Flyer i.e. Harpies or Warded Pegasus character i.e. Cloak Master.

Magic Hex: Chillwind, Word of Pain, Curse of Anraheir, Transmutation of Lead, Net of Amyntok, Iceshard Blizzard, Curse of the Midnight Wind, Miasma

Magic Buff: Wyssan's, Pann's, Transformation of Kadon, Pha's Protection, Timewarp, Earthblood, Flesh to Stone, Regrowth

Magic Vortex: Black Horror, Pit of Shades

Problem: Great Eagle

T4 W3 2A 50ppm

Good redirector; Fly, cheap, multiple wounds.

Solutions
RBT
Rxb
Dark Riders, Warlocks, Shades

Problem: Treeman

5 6 6 5 6 5 2 5 9 Flammable, +3AS, 6++, Stubborn, Shooting option (12", S5, D6+1 shots) +20p 225 ppm base

Tree Whack: exchange CC attacks for single I-test with auto-D6 wounds.

Treemen are great monster-killers and so fit into the Wood Elf army very well. What the Elves can't kill the Treeman will (poem :P).
60% chance of taking D6 wounds off our Hydra in each phase of CC.

Executioners or flaming Witch Elves should eats!

Solutions

Kharibdyss
WS 5 vs WS 6
S7 poison vs T6
I4 vs I2 (attacks first + 20% chance of taking D6 wounds)
T5, 5W vs S5, 5W
-> only 160 points to 220-245
-> but can it make it across the table to get into CC? and the Strangleroots are nasty.

I-based attacks: Magic spells and Bloodwrack Medusa.
Cloaked Master/Dreadlord (D3 wounds).

(Flaming) Executioners, (Flaming) Witch Elves, (Flaming) Knights.
RBT > massed Rxb fire.

Coming Soon: The Dark Arts, Armoury and Evil Elites of the Wood Elves!
Last edited by T.D. on Tue May 20, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

How to Stab Every Single One of the Wood Elves In the Face (Part II) --
The Dark Arts, Armoury and Evil Elites of the Wood Elves!

This forest policeman is pissed cos he just found out his wife and children were murdered by the evil Wood Elves.
You can help him in his quest for justice!

The Dark Arts

The Wood Elves of Loren practice the same Dark Arts as ourselves (boo hiss!), as well as the Underhanded Lore of the Boys and Girls from the Plughole ("High" Elves) but with a unique lore attribute:

"High" Magic attribute: Place a counter by your caster for every successful spell. These counters can be used to heal the caster or any model in his unit whenever they lose a wound.

Drain Magic (sig#1) -- Dispels remains in play spells on any unit within 18" / All units within 18"

Soul Quench (sig#2) -- 2D6 S4 18" / 4D6

1. Apotheosis -- single model within 18" gains 1 wound, causes Fear till casters next magic phase / D3 lost wounds

2. Hand of Glory -- unit within 18", one of WS, BS, I, M (you choose) gains D3 / all of the afore characteristics by D3 (one roll)

3. Walk Between Worlds -- unengaged unit within 24"; Ethereal till end of this magic phase and free 10" move / 20" move

4. Tempest -- large round template 30" range, scatters D6"; hit S3 (S4 flyer); unit suffering any wounds suffers -1 to hit (shooting + CC) until start of caster's next magic phase {shooting attacks that do not use BS roll must roll 4+ on a D6 before firing or lose shot}

5. Arcane Unforging -- 24" single enemy model; wounded on roll over armour save; if wounded must reveal all magic items of the model; randomly select one and destroy on 2+

6. Fiery Convocation -- 24" every model in target unit takes one S4 flaming hit; at the end of every subsequent magic phase every model again suffers one S4 flaming hit

High Magic is worth taking for the Wood Elves for the lore attribute alone. A mix of augments, hexes, direct damage and magic missile gives a flexible defensive lore, with Walk Between Worlds in combination with other special rules and items enabling them to be the most mobile army out there.

With access to all of the Winds of Magic, the old classics of Life and Beasts are still powerfully synergistic with Wood Elf army lists. But the hexes of Dark and Shadow and the killing power of Death mean that the Wood Elves are now spoiled for choice when selecting a battle lore to complement their army style.

The Craven Armoury

The Spirit Sword (85 points) -- No armour saves. Successful wounds result in leadership roll-off; if the wounded model loses the roll, he takes an additional number of wounds for the difference in scores, with no armour saves allowed.

This item is brilliant until you see its cost. Possibility of killing monsters with good to wound roll. Excellent for assassinating enemy characters ...but are you going to send a max-pointed Lord into battle with virtually no armour save?

Uses: Assassination Glade Lord on Eagle, Steed or foot.
Combinations: Opal amulet for single 4++, OTS to increase deadliness, luckstone.
Synergies: High lore attribute to create GG/EG bunker in the manner of our S7 Dreadlord/Witch Elf bunker. Or mounted equivalent.

Daith's Reaper (50 points) -- All failed to hit, to wound and enemy armour saves are rerolled.

Another item that looks promising at first glance. But unfortunately does relatively little to get through the toughness and armour which Wood Elves struggle with (with WS7 and ASF; hitting isn't usually an issue). Ogre Blade, Obsidian Blade and sometimes even Sword of Anti-Heroes are more reliable.

Uses: Increasing the combat effectiveness of Glade Lords
Combinations: ToP + Esh/Chsh or AoD to create relatively durable Glade Lord.
Synergies: Beast and Dark lore to increase effectiveness.

Bow of Loren (20 points) -- 30" AP, cannot fire EA, multishot (A+1)

The Woodies can stop crying now; a good magic item! Waystalkers lack of attacks prevents it from being OP. Losing out on magic arrows for regular characters is a tough choice though.

Uses: Rapid fire characters or 2x the danger from Waystalker
Combinations: Glade Lord (4+1), Glade Captain (3+1), Waystalker (1+1) {3 shots or 2 ignore armour}
Synergies: Waystalker sniper rule (BS 7, target enemy characters at -1 to hit)

Helm of the Hunt (20 points) -- +1 AS, Devastating Charge and +1WS when charging

Another cheap and cheerful magic item which has its place in competitive lists. Lacking armour every little +1 helps and extra high WS attacks are always useful.

Uses: Mounted Glade Captains and Lords
Combinations: Captain: Cheap Weapon and/or EI, Lord: Expensive Weapon/EI + cheap Talisman or Expensive Talisman and cheap Weapon/EI
Synergies: Wild Rider buses / Great Stags

Acorn of Ages (100 points) -- D3 citadel woods after battlefield setup, scatter 2D6, choose type (all same)

Obvious combination with Wood Elf forest stalker rule. 100 points to make the game a pain in the ass for your opponent? Worth it!

Uses: Annoying your opponent
Combinations: None (100 points)
Synergies: Wood Elves, Worldroots ability (extra wood), Magical wood types i.e. Venom Thicket

Moonstone of the Hidden Ways (40 points) -- If bearer's whole unit within forest at end of movement phase can teleport to another forest (as long as completely within).

40 points to teleport your units about the table? Bargain.

Uses: Getting powerful but relatively small footprint units where you want them and where your opponent doesn't want them.
Combinations: EI so 10 points other magic items on Hero / 60 on Lord
Synergies: Acorn of the Ages, Worldroots ability (extra wood), Wild Rider Buses, Sister Spellweaver Bodyguards, Rangers/Wardancers with combat character, (or Shadow lore attribute to really confuse people :P )

Calaingor's Stave (20 points) -- Bearer loses one spell but gains Bound Tree Singing spell -> 18" range; move unoccupied wood D6 +1" or 2D6 S4 hits on enemy unit touched by wood. Boosted version is above for all woods within 12".

Yet more board control options for the Wood Elves for a good price.

Uses: Ideal on a Lv2 support mage (i.e. lore attribute plus tree singing)
Combinations: AI so mage has 30/80 points left
Synergies: Acorn of the Ages, Worldroots ability (extra wood), Wood Elves units engaged in forests

Banner of the Eternal Queen (100 points) -- MR (3), once per game one turn Unbreakable

Fluff choice as with our Nagarythe.

Uses: Magic bunker that will stick for a turn when you need it to.
Combinations: None
Synergies: Wood Elf casters and bunker units of GG/EG/WwR

Banner of the Hunter King (75 points) -- Vanguard + re-roll first failed charge

An expensive way for the Wood Elves to gain vanguard! Fluff choice.

Uses: Making a very fast and efficient assault unit
Combinations: None (magic standard for BSB)
Synergies: Combat units with multi-characters, Moonstone of the Hidden Ways + Acorn of Ages for hilarity

The Evil Elites

This mutated Elf dares to not obey Malekith's will. Pacify him!

Problem: Orion

9 8 8 6 5 5 9 5(6) 10 Frenzy, Unbreakable 5++ (600 + 20 option for 2 dogs)

30" S5 MS(6)
18" S7 bolt thrower
MR(2), 5++, 6+ regen at end of turn for 1 wound
Devastating charge Orion, units within 6"

A powerhouse with fearsome shooting ability. However as with all special characters he can reliably be killed for a lot less than his points equivalent.

Solutions:

600 points? For approx 300 points we have:
Dreadlord, Pegasus, Black Amulet, Ogre Blade, full mundane
- Fly, 1+AS (saving on 4s), hitting on 4s, wounding on 3s; rebounding any wounds he causes on 4+.

or Dreadlord, Pegasus, Black Amulet, OTS, Sword of Might, full mundane:
- As above but wounding on 4s and forcing re-roll of his ward save.

For a similar points value and even greater likelihood to defeat, there is the AoD/Dawnstone Dragon Lord.
Cloak + Frostblade or even a Cloaked Peg Master can possibly kill him in one turn with luck!

Hellebron (310 points)
- So long as he fluffs his wards!

Witch Elves due to poison and volume of attacks
Witchbrew and Cauldron as Force Multipliers
-> Also, making use of his frenzy with chaff.

A romantic encounter for our hero

Problem: Araloth

As Dreadlord but +1 WS, +1A, 4++, pet cat (260)

Unbreakable as a solo character ...but still T3, 3W with only a 6+, 4++. If you could give him magic items he'd be a great character but as it is he is overcosted.

Solutions:

Dreadlord with 1+, 4++, OTS will kill him

Even a Master with 1+, 4++ will hold him up and make his life very difficult.

Multiple attacks from unit.

One Very Angry Tree

Problem: Durthu

As Treeman but +1 WS, BS, S, W, A, Ld Frenzy, Hatred, Lv1 Beasts (385)

Spites: 2D6 S2 KB 12"

Durthu is a Beast! Especially when casting Beast's on himself (pun!) for S7, T7!
An expensive powerhouse unit that with the right magical support (i.e. Lore of Life, Beasts) can be made virtually unstoppable to everything that's not a Purple Sun.

Solutions:

I-bomb auto-kill spells, and other suitably powerful magic spells
I-based attacks i.e. Medusa

(Flaming) Witch Elves with Cauldron support
(Flaming) Cold One Knights / Executioners / Rxb
RBT

Unkillable Dragonlord / Black Amulet Dragonlord (or Peglords)
Cloak + Frostblade Dreadlord
Hellebron, Shadowblade
Cloaked Peg master in a pinch
-> Also, making use of his frenzy with chaff.

This is not Drycha; this is Ariel the Chicken! (Wood Elf Propaganda Poster showing her in Battle!)

Problem: Drycha

5 7 5 4 4 3 7 4 9 Lv2 Shadow, Forest Spirit, Hatred 255 points

D3 Forest Spirit Units can be placed in Ambush in Forests.

Drycha; a powerful Forest Spirit whose special rules make for an interesting strategy option when fielding multiple units of Forest Spirits.
Synergises with Acorn of Ages and Worldroots extra Wood.

Solutions:

Anything magic or combat that can take out T4, 3W, 6++
Anything in close combat that can resist multiple S4 attacks

(+ hoping big units of Dryads and Treekin don't pop up in your flank and rear!)

Despite being Wood Elves, I approve of Naestra and Arahan.

Problem: Naestra and Arahan

Twin Elf heroes with Great Eagle or Dragon option (275 points + 220 for Dragon option)
Must kill both in same turn or they will be resurrected
Close combat +1 to wound Order/Chaos respectively

Dragon: Impetuous / Eagle: Enables re-rolling shooting attacks / Mount regains one wound when Naestra's bow causes a wound

Naestra Bow: 30" S5 AP, Flaming, D6 wounds
Arahan Bow: 30" S1 AP 2D6 shots, Poison

Naestra and Arahan look like playable special characters to me. On the Eagle they have an effective radius of 50", with 2D6 poisons shots + S5 D6 wound shot (re-rolling to hit). At 275 points, when up against a list full of enemy monsters i.e our Hydra and K-beast, they have the potential to more than make their points back. While vulnerable, they are hard to catch and function as an accurate hypermobile twin bolt thrower!

Solutions:

RBT
Massed Rxb fire

Magic missile (i.e. Doombolt), Magic Hex
Pegasus characters, Warlocks

NEXT: The Lords and Ladies of the Despicable Asrai!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

How to Stab Every Single One of the Wood Elves In the Face (Part III) --
The Lords and Ladies of the Despicable Asrai!

The proud woodsmen of the Empire town of Bad Hamsburg; long ago, Ariel unleashed her Dryads to raze the little town.
When the wood cutters returned at the end of the day, they found their families slaughtered and their homes destroyed.
Swearing vengeance, the descendents of the men of Bad Hamsburg are now a guerilla militia fighting the guerilla militias of the Wood Elves.
You can help them in their quest for justice!

Lords and Ladies

Problem: Glade Lord

As Dreadlord but with light armour and longbow and options for spear, shield, AHW, great weapon, enchanted arrows (145 naked)
Can be mounted on Elven Steed, Great Eagle, Great Stag or Dragon

Without murderous prowess or access to 1+ mundane or our deadly wargear, the Glade Lord is an inferior fighter to either our Dreadlord or the Asur Highborn. But kitted out with (mostly) common magic items in the same way he is still an effective character in his own right, and has access to shooting options the other two Elf Lords do not.

Lack of both mundane armour (mounted 4+ best) and ward saves is an issue for the Wood Elves; with the ToP most likely being prioritised for a Lv4, and the AoD going on the Lord to grant that extra +1.

Uses: Adding power to the Wood Elf list -- Mounted, Solo Monster-riding or Infantry. Free 36" armour deleting S3 shot before game begins.

Expected Builds:

- Giant Blade infantry, cavalry or solo
- Spirit Sword infantry, cavalry or solo
- Jack of All-trades Solo i.e. ToP+ChSh and ~ 50 points weapons (OB, OgB, DR)
or AoD/Dawnstone + PoS
- Jack of All-trades Cavalry i.e. AoD and ~ 50 points weapons (OB, OgB, DR)
or ToP, OTS, OgB

Synergies:

- Wild Rider Elven Steed buses in the manner of our Warlock Buses
- Wild Rider Great Stag buses with MotHW for a teleporting blitzkreig unit
- Spirit Sword and lore of Shadow lore attribute for teleporting Assassin around cavalry units
- Glade Guard, Eternal Guard, Wildwood Rangers bunkers for assassinating enemy characters

Our Dreadlord is a secondary choice in our army lists; with the importance of magic support for Wood Elves, the Glade Lord is a tertiary choice.

Problem: Spellweaver

As Supreme Sorceress but with access to High Magic, Unique Lore attributes, bow option (185 +35 Lv4)
Can be mounted on Elven Steed, Great Eagle or Unicorn

Uses: Maximising magic offense and defence. Accessing 10 lores of synergistic goodness. Bunkered in infantry or on an Elven steed in cavalry.

Expected Builds:

- Acorn caddy: Acorn (100)
- Anti-magic: Obsidian Lodestone (45) + other magic items i.e. scroll
- Protected: ToP (45) + other magic items i.e. scroll
- Unicorn now more of an option due to Sisters/Wild Riders but Elven Steed is most optimal choice for cost, fast cav status and hiding in cavalry units from shooting attacks

Synergies:

- Sisters of the Thorn for hypermobile, magical, 4++, poisoned shooting firebase
- Wild Rider buses for buffing combat
- Glade Guard, Eternal Guard, Wildwood Rangers bunkers for buffing own/hexing opponents

The Wood Elf army needs magic to make it sing. This makes at least one level 4 a necessity. But that level 4 might be a Treeman Ancient; T6, 6 wounds, 3+/6++ with Life magic is a lot more durable than the Spellweaver, who is likely to be completely unprotected. The Spellweaver on the other hand is considerably cheaper, more mobile, easily bunkered, able to take magic items and has access to 10 Lores -- all of which synergise with Wood Elves in various ways (except perhaps Fire, which is better against them than for them).

Problem: Treeman Ancient

As Treeman but -2 WS, BS, A and +1 W, Ld Lv2 Life Lore 290 +35 Lv3, +70 Lv4, +20 Strangleroots

Treemen are a great complement to the Wood Elf troops with their ability to anchor the battleline. Whilst lacking the offensive power of their younger brethren, the Treeman Ancient more than makes up with it by having access to the Lore which most supports them in their defensive capacity: Life.

Uses: A rock in the battleline which can heal and buff itself and others (and also cast Dwellers on you if you are unlucky!)

Synergies:

- Every Wood Elf unit esp. characters and multi-wound models
- Wood Elf gunline strategy (Buffs)
- Wood Elf late game strategy (Dwellers)

Magic is key to the Wood Elf strategy, and having a mage this durable is an excellent option.

Hail of Doom Arrow (30 points) -- one use: 30" AP, S4, multishot 3D6

I missed this one out earlier. The old faithful Hail of Doom -- and it still hurts! Especially with AP :cry:

Uses: Making any Wood Elf character even more of a pain in the ass than they already are!
Combinations: Bow of Loren
Synergies: Wood Elf non-CC strategy

Problem: Glade Captain

As Master, but light armour and longbow with options for spear, AHW, GW, shield (75 naked)
Can be mounted on Elven Steed, Great Eagle or Great Stag

As a BSB, the Glade Captain is a primary choice; a very mobile BSB with access to good shooting options. In an infantry unit it is difficult to get either decent defence or offence for 50 points of magic items; more Wild Riders or Rangers seems a much better use of points than a non-BSB Captain. Aside from this, the most obvious uses for Glade Captains is the specialised multi-master mirror of our own Warlock Buses; either on Dark Steeds in Sisters/Wild Riders or on Great Stags.

Uses: BSB, Mounted Masters

Expected Builds:-

BSB: Elven steed, Bow of Loren, Hail of Doom Arrow {if this is a legal choice; I think it is}
or AoD, Enchanted Arrow

Multi-masters: AoD, AoF, GA gives access to heavy armour and wards. Aside from this the usual choices seen on our own master buses i.e. Potion of Strength, Dawnstone, Other Tricksters Shard, Dragonbane gem, Crown of Command, etc..
also Wood Elf choices of Moonstone and Helm of the Hunt.
-> On Great Stags magic item defence is the priority; preserving points and letting the Stag do the damage
-> On Elven Steeds the magic item priority is more similar to our own masters

Synergies:

- Mobile shooting BSB to support battleline and add even more missile pain to the opponent (as if they were not experiencing enough!)
- Master Bus strategies as with our own:
-> Captains and Command pushing mages into the back rank
-> Mages adding buffs, or bouncing between fast cav units
-> All Captains (optional: Lord) at the front for killing power
-> Elven Steed Wild Rider/Sister Bus: Has awesome potential to form up narrow to squeeze through gaps in battleline/terrain then free reform to max. wide to maximise the models and attacks hitting the enemy unit.
-> Great Stag Wild Rider/Sister Bus: No longer fast cav but now an MC unit in the category of Mournfang/Crushers which can be supported by the fast cavalry of the Wood Elves. With Moonstone can teleport about the board.

Problem: Spellsinger

As Sorceress but without access to Dark (or High), and as above Wood Elf options (80 naked, +35 Lv2)
Can be mounted on Elven Steed, Great Eagle or Unicorn

Versatile support caster, just like our own.

Uses: As with our support Sorceresses.

Expected Builds:

- To buff either cavalry or infantry i.e. Beasts
- To debuff enemy i.e. Shadow
- To assist with Board Control i.e. Heavens
- To caddy cheap magic items i.e. Stave, Moonstone, Scroll, etc

Synergies:

- Level 4 Mage or Tree
- Adding additional lore for Wood Elf general's tactical objectives

Problem: Shadowdancer

Hero with WS8, I8 (100 +25MI option, +60 Lv1 Shadow)
Wardancer abilities

Fearsome statswise, the Shadowdancer suffers from similar problems to our Death Hags and Assassins, but with only a 25 point magic item allowance to make up for it.

Uses: Infantry combat character with access to Shadowdances of Loec (and option for Shadow magic)

Expected Builds: Potion of Strength + DBG / OTS / Sword of Might / Ruby Ring / Opal Amulet / Glittering Scales

Synergies: Wardancers, Wood Elf infantry options, The Shadowtrickster Gambit (see below)

The Shadowtrickster Gambit: 60 points for a level 1 wizard seems steep, until you look at the benefits this can bring to the Wood Elf list -- (i) extra channel, (ii) access to one of the most synergistic lores in Shadow, (iii) defaulting to the very useful Miasma, (iv) Shadow Lore attribute of Smoke and Mirrors.
Consider now an infantry based Spellweaver General in a unit of GG/WwR/EG; Two units of Wardancers, one setup to countercharge, the other safe in a forest. The Spellweaver General looks exposed at the front of this bunker. When the enemy troops come calling, the Shadowdancer casts Miasma on the approaching enemy then switches places with the Spellweaver! Now the enemy sent to assassinate the Sorceress can be assassinated by the Shadowdancer with Potion of Strength, the bait unit becomes a tarpit for countercharges, the Spellweaver is now safe in a bodyguard unit and can continue to wreak havoc ... and the enemy General has fallen for the Wood Elf trap!

Problem: Waystalker

Hero with BS7, but 1A (90 +25MI)
Waywatcher Abilities + Sniper

Worth including to snipe enemy characters and delete armour at BS7.

Uses: Only model in the Wood Elf army with access to Sniper

Expected Builds: Bow of Loren / DBG / Ruby Ring

Synergies: Bow of Loren, Waywatchers, Scouts, Glade Guard

Problem: Branchwraith

As Elf Hero but S4, T4, Lv1 Life (75)

A fluff choice for Forest Spirit themed lists; outcompeted by other combat characters and spellcasters.

Uses: Strengthening Dryad units

Expected Builds: NA

Synergies: Wood Elf infantry

This is Guy de Gixbourieue.
His grandfather, a questing Knight, was abducted by the Lords and Ladies.
...he did not return for 75 years ...and when he did he crumbled to dust shortly after arriving back at his ancestral barony as an ancient and withered old man.
Young Guy vowed to avenge his grandfather, but was himself tricked by the "hospitality" of the Asrai, and almost fed to the Daemons of the Winter Vaults.
...after heroically fighting himself free, Guy has vowed once more to rid the world of the deceiving and treacherous "Fair Folk".
You can join him in his righteous quest!

Coming Soon: Facing Off with the Wood Elves for King, Queen and Country!
Last edited by T.D. on Tue May 20, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarb
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Zarb »

Some excellent posts T.D :) q small note on the wild riders, tjey got devastating charge and frenzy, so it will be 3str 5 AP attacks from the rider on the charge
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Thanks! Yeah, I miscalculated in my earlier post but have corrected for my upcoming post.

Rider has one S5 AP attack with frenzy (2), and devastating charge (3)
Bambi has one S4 attack with frenzy (2)
So five attacks, three of which are S5 and AP (-3) and therefore very bad news for our own Knights!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Facing Off with the Wood Elves for King, Queen and Country!

Skaryn the Eye Thief was originally one of Karl Franz's kittens.
Araloth, while doing some reaving with Scarloc's Archers in Altdorf, managed to break in to the royal palace and steal one of the Emperor's prize cats!
Not even our beloved pets are safe with Wood Elves around.
You can help return Skaryn to his rightful home! (and his proud Imperial wargear)

You'll note that there were no Solutions posited in the last post. This is because the solution was already given in post #1: :killed:

( :twisted: )

Wood Elf Strategy

"They are justified and they're ancient and they drive an Ice Cream van"
- Ariel, ballad of the Forest Spirits

To understand our enemy we must be able to think as he does.
Unfortunately, without access to powerful psychedelics, this will be difficult when taking on the Woodies ;)

The Wood Elf General wants to:

- Shoot You

- Magic You

- Magic You & Shoot You

- Magic You, Shoot You & Choose his Preferred Close Combats

Approximately in this order.

How does he achieve this?

- Extra scenery use (if applicable)
- Deployment
- Use of his troops' movement and abilities (Fast Cav, Fly, M5, Forest Strider/Spirit)

- Vanguard and Scout
- In game movement of his troops relative to your troops and scenery
- Special effects i.e Ambush, Magic Spells/Items

- Hiding his true strategy and making you make (wrong) decisions

Wood Elf Tactics

"You're twistin' my melon man. You know you talk so hip man you're twistin' my melon man"
- Orion, ballad of Averlorn

- Shoot You
-> Waywatchers, Characters, Scouts, Glade Guard, Glade Riders, Warhawks, Sisters
- Magic You
-> Characters, Sisters
- Magic You & Shoot You
-> Combination of spells and shooting to achieve his aims.
- Magic You, Shoot You & Choose his preferred close combats
-> Combination of spells, movement and shooting to setup combats in his favour.
-> Wild Riders, Wildwood Rangers, Wardancers, Dryads, Eternal Guard, Warhawks
-> Choose his sacrificial combats (i.e. Dryads), Choose his preferred combats (i.e. Wild Riders in both flanks)

- Extra scenery use (if applicable)
Extra wood placed where it will be most useful to him. Does he want to make movement difficult for you? Does he want to funnel your troops in a particular direction? Does he want the wood to be a place of combat? Does he intend on teleporting or ambushing there?
D3 extra woods option for the same reasons.

- Deployment
With his list, how does he want to win the game? Is it through shooting, close combat or avoidance/magic? This will set his strategy. Generally, he wants to create maximum depth and spread of the board (and spread of your troops) to maximise shooting time. He wants to funnel you into particular zones and create crossfires. He wants to make use of cover (esp. woods) and deny you cover. He wants to outflank, encircle and hit you in the flank and rear; both with shots and close combat when he has to/wants to engage.
- Use of his troops' movement and abilities (Fast Cav, Fly, M5, Forest Strider/Spirit)
What can he achieve on turn 1? Does he have scouts? Vanguarding units? How far can his units move (and shoot) on turn 1?
- Vanguard and Scout
Where is he going to vanguard to? Or is he not going to use it? Will he infiltrate his scouts? Claim part of the mid-table? Or deploy more shooters in his own zone?
- In game movement of his troops relative to your troops and scenery
How fast and maneouvrable are his troops? Will they engage head on? Flee? Double flee? Or evade? Expect him to try and get round the flanks of your combat and shooting units with his fast elements.
- Special effects i.e Ambush, Magic Spells/Items
Will there be any Ambushers arriving from turn 2, and how could these units interfere with your own? How does his lore and spell selection fit into his strategy? What spells does he have? How dangerous are they? does he have a #6 spell for example? Does he have the Moonstone?
- Hiding his true strategy and making you make (wrong) decisions
What can flee and what can't (Itp)? What units does he want to feed you? Great Eagles, Dryads, Glade Riders, Glade Guard ...in a heirarchy of expendability up to his prize save-at-all costs units i.e. character bunker Sisters or Waywatchers or Wild Riders.

Wood Elf Army Lists

"OOOOOoooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii just know that something good is gonna happen"
- Naestra & Arahan, ballad of Naestra & Arahan

There are a few obvious setups:

1) The Classic Wood Elf Counter-Charging "Bowline"
Lots and lots of Glade Guard with countercharging units deployed inbetween; Treeman, Treekin, Dryads, Wardancers. Fast Cavalry on the flanks. Waywatchers supporting.
Aim is to shoot you to death while presenting waves of opposition to block and hold you in place so that the shooting can go on as long as possible.
Making use of fleeing occassionally to expose the flanks of individual units to long range countercharges, as well as encircling with fast cavalry to threaten rear charges.

2) Flexible MSU
Smaller and more numerous units than (1), with more emphasis on inflitrators in your deployment zone, ambushers and use of mid table woods; altogether making greater use of depth of the board area. Again he wants to maximise the length and depth of the board and engage you in waves; spreading out your troops and extending the time he can shoot. Infiltrating Scouts with poison shot, ambushing Glade Riders, deep lines of Waywatchers and Glade Guard, and close combat units like Rangers, Wardancers and Treekin all feature.

3) Cavalry Based Approaches
- Avoidance, Magic, Shooting -- total avoidance making use of extreme mobility and shooting, backed by magic; Sisters, Glade Riders, Warhawks, Waywatchers, Wild Riders
- Avoidance, Magic, Close Combat -- avoiding your main threats but using mobility to bring his close combat power where it hurts Wild Rider/Stag/Sister Buses supported by Glade Riders and Warhawks/Waywatchers

4) Forest Spirit Close Combat
Durthu, Drycha backed multiple units of infiltrating Forest Spirits.
Unlike Forest Spirit lists of the past this will be more dependent on Wood Elves to function i.e. Lv4 for Acorn and Waywatchers for shooting, Wild Riders for support.

These I think will be the main 'styles' of lists, although there are always novel synergies with new books that appear a few months down the line through playtesting and tournament practice/results.

Wood Elf Keys to Victory

"Da da da da da da da da da da daaaa daaaa"
- Araloth, ballad of Talsyn on a Saturday night at 3.30am

Maximising his opportunity to shoot by deployment and movement. Supporting his shooting with the right spells -- to increase the effectiveness of the shooting or deal with units/monsters the shooting isn't effective against. Using his mobility to make the charges he does go for hurt. Pairing up combats he can win, hold in place or misdirect i.e.

Great Eagle vs Witch Elf CoB Horde (!)
Dryads vs Rxb
Wardancers vs Witch Elves (block for one turn)
Treeman vs Black Guard (hold in place)
Rangers vs Hydra
Wild Riders vs Cold One Knights

-> I miscalculated this one earlier.

Wild Riders charge:
Knights I6 -- 1 S4 attack, hitting on 4s, wounding on 3s, they save on 5+ (assuming shield)
Now the Wild Riders go:
3 S5 attacks with AP from riders (hitting on 4s, wound 2s, save 5+) { !eek! }
Then their mounts:
2 S4 attacks from mounts (hit 4s, wound 3s, save 3+)
Finally the Cold Ones:
2 S4 attacks (hit 4s, wound 3s, save 5+)

= Advantage Wild Rider!

=> Do not let them charge you.

...and at M9 and Fast Cav this is easier said than done. Not to mention our Knights are stupid, slower and less manoeuvrable.
{though whether there will be any Knights left on the board by the time Wild Riders are in charge distance is another question altogether!}

--> March blocking, fleeing, double-fleeing and sacrificing when necessary to achieve all of the above.

Essentially, Wood Elves play similarly to Dark Elf Avoidance lists; but with longer range, more powerful and more varied basic shooting options and a unique affinity for scenery -- though they are even more brittle, less good in close combat and depend even more on combo-charges to be effective.

Wood Elves are my third fantasy army in terms of miniatures, and the second closest to my heart (Hey! I need convincing cover for this espionage! :mrgreen:). I've found this new book to be less charming than the last one in terms of fluff and the character of the list; there is less heart in the backstory and the loss of unique items and spites takes away some of the flavour of the army. Love the new models though, and my impression of the new army is similar to the 8th Dark Elf one: individual choices look weak at first glance, but the strengths are in how the various components synergise. In that respect the list is well designed. I'm a little bit disappointed that playstyles are restricted due to ties to scenery and I'd like to have had the option to create proper smash face Forest Spirit lists.

I think very good all-comer tournament list can be created with this army book, but obviously some opposition setups will cause them more trouble than others. Armies with high toughness and multiple wounds, ward saves and access to flyers and artillery will be difficult for the Wood Elves to deal with. So their old foes of Orcs and Beastmen will still present trouble. Certain WoC setups, though Princies will be running scared! Human armies with low mobility and high armour will find the new Woodies very hard to deal with; picked off from distance, and when they eventually engage they are facing superior statlines! On the other hand, it remains to be seen if Wood Elves can handle chaff avalanches of the likes Skaven and Undead can provide. Dark Elves with access to cheap flyers, elite flyers, vanguarding characters and cavalry and base M5 as well as equal to better stats and close combat abilities are better placed than other armies to combat the guerilla threat!

Coming Up: The Druchii go to War with the Asrai
RedPanda
Slave on the Altar

Post by RedPanda »

Damn it, reading this thread without laughing at work is so impossible.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" -Kino
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

RedPanda wrote:Damn it, reading this thread without laughing at work is so impossible.

:P
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

RedPanda wrote:Damn it, reading this thread without laughing at work is so impossible.

Agree, it is enough to lure a RedPanda to register to D.net!
Welcome RedPanda and compliments T.D., well done, mate! !eek! :mrgreen:
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Calisson wrote:and compliments T.D., well done, mate! !eek! :mrgreen:

Thank you 8) There are no swimming Karibdysses accompanying a Noah's Ark of monsters ...but I've been enjoying myself :mrgreen: