Cok in a horde?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

Cok in a horde?

Post by Lord Foster »

im interested in finding out if a large horde of cok would work? Im presently running malus in a unit 12(including malus) 6x2. Im curious about how big i can go with the unit when i build up to a 4k list.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Cok in a horde?

Post by Thraundil »

Well. A horde can work, yes. But its one massively juicy target for your opponent. Will hit like a ton of bricks if your charge goes through, though!
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I remember once in a 5k list I ran 2 units of 15. But that was several editions ago.

I can't still do that - a lot of my Cold Ones found their way to eBay, while others are unpainted/unassembled. I don't think I can field more than 20 now.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Foster »

Yea i know they would have a big bullseye on them. id have to protect it and have an extra threat or 2
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Think about the point cost of 30 COK and check what is left for the rest of the army...
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Foster »

30 cok FC with Malus Darkblade runs 1225 leaving me with 2775....
Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Foster »

Well i made up a list on battlescribe. Ill post it in Army lists but i dobt have all the models...yet
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

I wouldn't go bigger than 15+ characters, and I would only do that in games at 3k or more.

I find 10 Knights + Dreadlord + BSB is big enough at 2400.
Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Foster »

Well i plan on running malus i could probably put bsb in a different block (black/executioners). it was just a thought really if i have enough models ill try it with a buddy for a laugh.

so 15 seems to be the magic number. 8x2 including malus then? im having trouble with deployment in that idk the best layouts for blocks and how to set up on the battle field...whats the "rule of thumb" between cav, fast cav and infantry?
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Depends on exactly what is in the list with those COK.

If it's all-cav, you might consider having the COK being on the far flank so they can sweep in and slam down the length of the enemy line. You then use the DR and other stuff as chaff to extend deployment and generally get in the way of enemy maneuver.

If it's a combination of cav and infantry, you drop the COK across from their heavily-armored unit that you feel comfortable taking on with the COK. Use the infantry to go after their lighter stuff... unless you're running Executioners, in which case you send THEM against the heavily-armored stuff and have the COK come around in a flanking maneuver. Once again, chaff runs around and gets in the way of enemy maneuver.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I prefer my coldone knights 15 strong with 3 charecters. Still a deathstar but not one that will say: I put all my points into one unit! At 300 points for a unit of 10, once you add in a full command and an appropriate magic standard, either the +1 to movement one or the one that gives you the "Strider" rule, you pretty much have a 1000 points in one units. Granted I will do a horde of spearmen or corsairs, getting in the 450-550 point range, but eating up my core needs verses using up half my army in a 2000 point game, dosn't seem wise.

Maybe if the point scale is closer to 5 digets but that's still a large unit.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Foster »

oh i wasnt meaning at 2000. i meant at the 4000 mark and yea as you guys break it down yea doesnt look promising but it would be a laugh really. i was able to play quite a few games over the weekend at 1500 points against empire, lizardmen, and tomb kings(they just wont stay dead!!!!). 2 wins 3 losses. ill be posting the lists i used.

2 final questions...is the dread knight worth taking at all? if so, w/ magic weapons?
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Depends rly, if you have characters in the unit his worth jumps up. especially if its a killy Lord. or if you expect to run into killy Lords.
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

24 Knights, 1 SS (Beasts), 4 Masters, 1 DL on CO = :twisted:

[+] SPOILER
and a massive point/sink target ... but who cares? :P

[+] SPOILER
you could always through in a Cauldron of Blood and the +1 movement banner for a laugh :mrgreen:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Foster »

Lmao frenzied cok with a chariot and spell buffs....i like it :twisted: how wide would you run that? 5x5? Peg master for sure for war machines and other pesky units in the enemies back line. Death hag too? Lets put razor banner on units standard bearer gor AP str 6 hits on the charge
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

I have experimented with CoK and the BWS. And excellent value addition to the unit that synergies well. It acts a decent anvil and a massive hammer. The movement issue can be mitigated by starting the BWS outside the unit and moving in after the first turn, only having to be able to touch the back end of the CoK bus (this is a bit of a pain to move -- but the opponent will not usually expect it).

I ran this set-up. 10 CoK full command movement banner, Sorceress of dark magic (tome of furion -- for word of pain and power of darkness). BSB with ToP and charmed shield. BWS

Game 1: took a direct hit from a trebuchet and killed it outright
Game 2: slammed into the front of a unit of bigish (12 total with slaughetmaster and firebelly and BSB) iron guts while engaged in the flank with warlocks. Broke it on the charge. My opponent had a choice of suffering word of pain or mindrazor. So he chose to suffer word of pain and dispelled mindrazor. St 3 ironguts are not that scary.
Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Foster »

im assuming your talking about orks&goblins or ogre kingdoms....i havent faced them yet the only army that isnt played in my local group is skaven so i will eventually. So far i faced high elves, empire, tomb kings and lizardmen im getting better as i go Though i only just started in february. I really wanna crack the high elf player, hes very competitive and me and him go way back so we have no problem playing with the gloves off 8)
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Ogre kingdoms. His ironblaster couldn't shoot the CoK unit as it was behind a hill in deployment so his first two shots killed my hydra by the 2nd turn. I shot his sabertusks as a priority for my chaff work and was able to get my charges off on his big deathstar which broke.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

marcopollo wrote:I have experimented with CoK and the BWS. And excellent value addition to the unit that synergies well. It acts a decent anvil and a massive hammer. The movement issue can be mitigated by starting the BWS outside the unit and moving in after the first turn, only having to be able to touch the back end of the CoK bus (this is a bit of a pain to move -- but the opponent will not usually expect it).

Devious.

[+] SPOILER
I like it :D
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

At the US masters GT, combining the CoB or the BWS (edit: in a CoK unit) was considered poor play (just an FYI). I wonder why? -- he asked knowingly.
Last edited by marcopollo on Tue May 12, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Foster »

what would be the best set up for a unit of 10 against silver helms, p guard and dragon princes?
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I'd set them up for a rear charge into any of those units. Except the Phoenix Guard. I hate charging Phoenix Guard.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Lord Foster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Foster »

too much flank denial ill have to take the silver helms in a flank if im lucky or in the front. his sisters always have handmaiden and they are so annoying and he sets up alot of flank denial im getting some shades here soon should help with getting good vanguard moves with riders and locks.