Is there any point buying models now?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Tactical Dark ELf
Trainee Warrior

Is there any point buying models now?

Post by Tactical Dark ELf »

So 9th edition comes out on 11th July, at least in England, with all the rumours about joint armies, etc
is there any point on buying 20+witch elves and the cauldron of blood. I have a feelling I will regret it with the changes a few months from now.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Is there any point buying models now?

Post by Lord Drakon »

As the unit you are talking about is in particular expensive (as they are so good + naked ladies) and you just want them for the game, I should wait. If you like the witch elf models I would recommend to buy it. The Cauldron of Blood kit is one of the coolest I ever had (Medusa, Hellebron, COB / Bloodwrack Shrine). I don't know how much you play, but if that is regular, you can at least field them for a couple of months (and likely much longer as I don't think old armies will become useless). My opinion is also that the 8th edition Witches are much better than earlier versions.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Some units may or may not go away, especially if the rumors about the various elven armies combining have any truth to them. However, I highly doubt that witch elves would be among them, they are pretty iconic and sell very well. So they aren't going anywhere. The question is how will their rules change, and that is a question, of course, that none of us can answer.

As others have mentioned though, those are NOT cheap models, so you'll have to balance the expense of them against how much you plan to use them, and if you think new rules will make them less useful. I doubt they will get any better, because as they are now, they're among the best core troops in the game.

If it were me, I would hold off. But I personally don't have to worry about it - I have about 50 of the lovely ladies from various editions, so I'm good. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I think you will still be fine with the CoB but personally I am holding off everything WFB related at the moment. Sure that will change in 1 months time though.
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

don't buy a thing my friend! cool your jets for a month or so.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

It depends on if you (and your local gaming meta) is willing to continue playing 8th if 9th winds up being garbage.

If you are, then go for it. In fact, its probably a good idea because I foresee a major shakeup in the mini lines in the not-too-distant future.

But if you're set on playing 9th or nothing, hold off.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Assuming you believe you will be able to make some kind of use of today's existing models, people are dumping their armies on bartertown so there are many good deals to be found.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Phierlihy wrote:Assuming you believe you will be able to make some kind of use of today's existing models, people are dumping their armies on bartertown so there are many good deals to be found.

Even if Warhammer 9 goes south, the existing rules/minis don't suddenly crumble to dust the day the new ones come out. You can still play the old rules. There are people who still play original D&D 40 years later, and all versions in between. There's no reason WH can't be the same way.

Also, the minis have other uses. You can use them in rpg's and other minis games. If enough people "dump" warhammer, there will be an instant market for a new set of fantasy minis warfare rules, and somebody will fill that void. Witness the D&D4e / Pathfinder schism if you doubt that.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360