2k vs all comers! Tips please for an all-rounder army?

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Skipjh
Trainee Warrior

2k vs all comers! Tips please for an all-rounder army?

Post by Skipjh »

This is a 2k army, which is used against all-comers. (Regular opponents are Dwarves, TK, Lizardmen, HE, Chaos (Tzeentch) and VC)

CHARACTERS

DE Highborn - 240 pts
DoDP, Heavy Armour, SDC and Black Amulet

DE Noble - 211 pts
Hydra Banner, Heavy Armour, SDC, CO

Lv. 1 Sorceress - 140pts
Dispel Scroll, Seal of Ghrond

Lv. 1 Sorceress - 115pts
Dispel Scroll

Total of 706

CORE UNITS

20 DE Warriors - 185pts
F. Command

10 RXB - 120pts
shields

10 RXB - 120pts
shields

5 Dark Riders - 97pts
Musician

Total - 522pts

SPECIAL UNITS

15 Executionars - 220pts
F. Command, War Banner
(+ Highborn)

7 COK - 248pts
F. Command
(+ Noble)

COC - 99pts

Total - 567pts

RARE UNITS

2 x RBT - 200pts

TOTAL VALUE 1995

The logic behind this army is that I have two reasonably hard hitting units (COK and Execs with HB), two valuable supporting units (Warriors and Chariot), Dark Riders for flanking, some magic protection and plenty of missile fire!

A couple of key areas of doubt - is a 16 strong (inc HB) unit of Execs big enough to take on other tough units? Should I give the Dark Riders RXBs? (I initially had Shades but felt that 3 core and 4 special was too beardy) Is it worth having the CoC? Thoughts on the value of a BSB with Hydra Banner? Should he be in the COK? Maybe swap him and the HB around?

I'm fairly happy with the 3 warrior units and the magic items for the HB and sorceresses. I also only want to take one rare choice. The army is designed to be a bit of an all rounder - able to sit back and shoot, but with some fast movers if needed. So - whadyall think?
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

I like the list, even though I personally hate characters on foot (except sorcs). Your Highborn might get in trouble if he is facing something with S6 or more (not too uncommon on enemy characters). People might think that "well, I keep him cheap if he's on foot so it doesn't matter that much if he dies." But the thing is that he gives the opponent 100 extra VPs for being the general, and you will also lose the general's leadership to units close by.

For an All Commers List I think it lacks a bit of DR. Most players like to take at least three units of them in 2k battles, and I see only one here. I would drop one unit of RxB warriors to get another unit of 5 DR with RxBs and muso. Now your list is 2 points over the top. Let's see what we can do about that;

Your Cold One Chariot is 99 points. How the [beeeep] can that happen? The spears cost 2 points for the entire crew (no matter how many they are). Your chariot would therefore be 97 points and those 2 points over are now gone.

The choices of units for the Highborn and Noble are fine IMO. But both of those units will have a 4 model frontage (right?), which is not always that good. More models in the front means more attacks. I think you could drop one Executioner and make the unit 5x3 instead. Executioners don't have many attacks and should therefore have a 5 model frontage IMO.

BTW, Welcome to the site. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

Loremaster Nagathi
Skipjh
Trainee Warrior

Post by Skipjh »

thanks for your feedback. In regards to the DR - I have noticed this in a lot of the lists on this forum. Proper use of fast cav is probably my weakest area in the game. Alot of the DR heavy lists seem to centre on MSU tactics - is it still worth taking given the blocks of infantry in my list? I presume they are taken to prevent marching and get off flank charges? Are the RXBs worth it as most of the time I will prob want to move the DR more than 9" and will usually flee as a charge reaction?

I agree with your thoughts about the frontage for the Execs. I have put the Gen in with them on foot so that I can do some damage after the first round of combat in Initiative order, so my Execs last a bit longer. You are right about the low(ish) armour sv of the HB, but I find a lot of my opponents get quite rattled by the Black Amulet, and so don't use their characters against my HB... but I prefer to keep him in a infantry unit for protection against missile fire (as opposed to riding a monster etc)

In terms of the 4 model frontage for the COK, once I lose the inevitable couple of models to shooting/magic I will move them to one rank. With the points cost, I had assumed it was 2pts per model, not 2pts per chariot - but that solves that problem! Thanks again for your thoughts.
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

What you might want to consider is downgrading your Highborn to a Noble (It will cost 1A and 1 LD), this will make him something less of a major target (just lose the Black Amulet of the points). This will free up about 60 pts (If I remember right) to put into core units (Your really light there, meaning this isn't a good choice for a Tournament Environemt).
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Darkadon
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Darkadon »

If you want to get creative, put the BSB w/ Hydra banner in the unit of execs and give the execs the banner of murder. This way they get the charge [usually] and get alot of extra attacks. And even try altering the size and formation of the execs. Maybe 5x3 or 6x2, heck, even 7x2.

Then you could put you HB in with the COK to give that unit some more hitting power, because with a 4 wide frontage, they won't do much damage. The added power of the HB in this unit will give them a better chance of winning the round of combat. If you want to improve their chances further, give them the war banner and/or concentrate RBT fire on the unit they'll be charging. All you need is for them to win the round of combat and outnumber. If you decide to put your highborn on a CO, give him a lance instead of the DoDP. You save 44 points and all you lose is killing blow.

I would also consider dropping a sorceress. I know that you want magic protection, but I find that one scroll caddy is enough, even vs. Tzeentch and Undead. Although this only works if you eliminate enemy mages rather than just trying to dispel their spells. With the points saved consider investing in either another COC, more COK to get 10, upgrade the COC to a War Hydra, or get a mage hunter BM on DP or Noble on DS.
Cheap GW minis

www.gc-minis.com
Skipjh
Trainee Warrior

Post by Skipjh »

Drakken wrote:This will free up about 60 pts (If I remember right) to put into core units (Your really light there, meaning this isn't a good choice for a Tournament Environemt).

Yeah, having more points in characters than anywhere else is a bit dodgy, and less than 600pts in Core is also not very balanced.

I am pretty keen on having a Lord character though. I have considered scrapping the BSB and putting the HB in the COK. I've also thought about replacing the Execs with Corsairs, to put more points in Core. I have my doubts with either of these options, as then the COK would be pretty much the only unit capable of taking on high T/armour sv units?