Northern legion (2500)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Haf
Dark Rider

Northern legion (2500)

Post by Haf »

Hi, in a 12 days i'm going to play on one tournament, first my for so many points. I decided to play solid magic army. And because my bsb is painted as a Ghrond banner, i added cavalry as a support units.

Characters:
Supreme sorceress
-steed, focus familiar, scroll, seal of ghrond, lvl 4

Sorceress
-on foot, dagger, scroll, lvl 2

Death hag
-cauldron of blood

Master-BSB
-pendant, steed, sdc, sword of might, ha, shield

25 warriors, fcg, shields
25 warriors, fcg, shields
5 dr, crossbow, musician
5 dr, crossbow, musician
5 harpies
5 harpies
5 cold one knight, musician
5 cold one knight, musician
8 witch elves
chariot
war hydra
2 rbts

Any comments?

First experience: against heavy magic we, with 7 DD with re-roll on dispel roll. I was massacred but, mainly because my own faults in 5th and 6th turn. And unfortunetly, my strategy run to the ruin after two things...my bsb unit fled from its position by panic, and i lost them in charge position (and i was made to firt rally them), second my cold ones knights charged wild riders, killing only one, and got one kill and he had war banner. They were broken (i didnt roll 7 on break test). Third, one my dr unit fled from the table after rolling 12 on rally. And in sixth turn i didnt hide my supreme, he killed her with her even with her pegasus (now i changed my list so she is only on the steed and 8 witch elves were added).

Updated by comments from Druchii77.
Last edited by Haf on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

Mounted, your Master will only get S5 and will strike last with soul render. I would recommend giving him a plain old sword of might. Then you can also give him a shield. Then, I would recommend going the cheesier route and giving him mundane heavy armor and giving him the pendant. He will then be way more survivable.

Next, what is the purpose of the 8 witch elves? I know people take these small units to try to make mini tarpits out of them, but the majority of the time I see a small unit of lightly armored or unarmored T3 models, I will shoot them to bits before they can do anything. These are free victory points and if they lose to outnumbering fear causers, they will autobreak anyway. That is 80 points you could put into a unit of shades.

Otherwise, this list is very strong looking. You might also consider taking a magical standard on one unit of knights such as the warbanner or the standard of slaughter. These pile on the combat res well and really help you out on the charge.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Haf
Dark Rider

Post by Haf »

Thank very much for your comment. You're right in all your points. But if i will give to the master pendant, how should i protect my supreme? I was thinking about black amulet, but its very expensive.

And yes, i saved some points, and added a witches elves, but i can see now that their price is the same as the unit of shades! Of course, i will take them rather than witch elves.

I was also thinking about chariot. Chariot or shades? Or a unit of exe? But i have chosen the way of chariot.
Lord ruerl of harganeth
Beastmaster
Location: Searching Ulthuan for my wife's murderer (New Zealand actually)

Post by Lord ruerl of harganeth »

a chariot can be game saving.

it helped me win a game when it hurtled through 20 maruaders then spun about and ran down 5 hounds trying to eat my sorceress, and then overrunning into the rear of some maruder horses who had just dismantled my bolt thrower. just send in some c1k or even dr to support it, alothough a big unit of spearmen can do the trick too. my chariot (orginally not part of my 2,000pt list) has now been promoted to the personal chariot of my Drealord.
"Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, I will have my Venegance"
One-s
Beastmaster

Post by One-s »

Some things have been noted by druchii77, so I'm not going to repeat them.
Other then that,
try to mount your LvL 4 on a pegasus.
This will make her a lot more mobile and she can't be marchblocked anymore, which in turn makes it harder to catch her.
Gethsemane
Executioner

Post by Gethsemane »

I'd be wary about mounting her like that without the protection of the Pendant from shooting attacks.
aka DarkTyrany22

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.
Haf
Dark Rider

Post by Haf »

I will try it in this current version, and than i could make a few changes.
Haf
Dark Rider

Post by Haf »

Fine. The tournament is done and i should write a few words about it.

I decided to change list into this:

Supreme (pendant, scroll, steed, dagger)
Sorceress (pegasus, scroll, focus)
Sorceress (foot, guiding eye, scroll)
Master (bsb, steed, ha,sdc,sh, gw, rind of darkness)
20 and 23 warriors
2 x 10 RXBW with shields
2 rbts
war hydra
2 x 5 dr with RXB
5 harpies
5 cok with FCG and s. of slaughter
6 shades with GW

I played five plays. In short:

1. battle, Baryk and his Nurgle daemons (great unclean one, three heralds, one of them bsb with -3 from ld, nurglins, 3x 15 plague bearers, 2 basts of nurgle, 5 dogs of khorne)

He started. Slowly march to the center, but i deploy my army in this way:

COK ---HYDRA--RBT--RXB--RXB--RBT--DR--DR-----Harpies------Warriors--Warriors

Sorc on foot went to the first RXBW, second on pegasus at the centre of my line, the last to my infantry with bsb.
I run away with my infantry on the right flank, i hide them into his own deploy:) unfortunetly, he caught with beasts one unit and i fled in order to not give him their banner.
Hydra went forward and ate nurglins in 3 combat phazes, cok run away into his deploy, rxbw fought 4 turns with the last dog and were broken but the dog was shot. The remaining play was: i was shooting in one his unit and casting too. Only 5 plageus and bsb remained in this unit in 4th turn. I shot them again, bsb received one wound and only champion left wirh him. Than he charger my RXB on the hill, SaS=dead bsb, he run into my unit, killing one man, and crumble from CR. I won, but i lost one panicked dr and harpies, one RXBW.

510 VP

Second battle. Dwarf gunline (anvil, 4 rbts, flame canon,organa, 2 x 10 crssbows, 2x20 warriors, 20 longbeards with bsb, master eng.).
This battle was doom. I run forward only on one flank (2/3 army deploeyd there), but he was shooting well. I gave 5 miscasts, one sorceress was hit and wounded. He had around 7 misfires.

110 VP for me

Third battle. VC. A new player. (lvl4, 3x lvl2, 3x 14 skelets, 20GG, 2x 5 BC without barding, varghulf, 3 wraiths)

On the right flank was a impassible teren, but we were able to see over it. So i tried strategy play without centre and left flank. I deploey there for taking attention all my cavalry and harpies on the centrum. His army was deployed:
wood---wraiths--skelets--bc--gg--skelets--impassible--varghulf--skelets--bc--skelets

My army:
rbt, warriors, warriors, hydra--RXBW-RBT-RXBW--------------Harpies------DR----COK----DR

I started. I run with one of DR (the last unit) forward and shot 2 BC. Pegasus sorceess landed behind the hill in front of the gulf and tried to kill him by fire magic and focus. Unsuccesfull.
On the left flank i was running forward around the impassible to get to his back. He ignore it and slowly marched to the centre and tried to increased his regiments and cast the curse of years. Supreme annihilated his wraiths, and shades moved from the wood from behind his line shooting his infantry. I got him to this trap and i suceed in cutting his unit to the pieces one by another. On the left flank his Bc charged my dr, i shot 2 as SaS, only one came. But he managed to summoned his knights and killed 3 drs, but i was able to kill one of his knighs! His varghulf charged my cok, killing one, and recived three wounds and crumbled from CR. The right flank was mine too. Unfortunetly, my pegasus sorceress didnt passed her fear test in order to bring her to rear of his last unit, charged by cok from front. She was not allowed to do anything in that turn (6th) and he charged her with the last 3 skeletons remaining on the battlefield! and made her to run away from break test. This 3 skeletons were 40 points what i needed to get 20:0. So only 19:1.

Fourth game, again dwarfes. Very funny army, without any chance to defeat me. I cant understand, how could he be so winning.
Lord on the shield, hammerers, longbeards, 2x 10 thunderers, warriors, ironbreakrs, 2 organa, bolt and canon

He did a very bad deploy. I played with him as a cat with mause: i deploy my cavalry on the right flank, with one unit of RXBW. He deployed his main units on this flank (???!!) . After his army was deployed, i had 2/3 of my own army not-deployed and i was free to choose my way.

Ironbreakrs---wood- -organa and warriors--thunderrs and stone hill behind them (imapssible)--bolt--thunderers(wood)--organa(wood)---hammerrs--longbeards--canon

My army:
Hydra, both infantry, RXBW, pegasus and supreme and bsb and on foot sorc-----------------------harpies----dr--rbt--dr--rbt---cok---RXBW

He shot down my rbt by canon. His bolt missed my hydra. My plan was clear after my deploy, so he started to run to his left flank, but he was made to go there by centre, because in his deploy was wood, impassible and again wood (and my scouts).
I was running for his ironbreakrs. In second turn his runesmith in this unit disappeared, in third i shot the last 4 dwarfes in ironbreakrs (fault-i shloud next time go for their banner). In third turn my scouts killed crew of organa, in fourth they run into the back of thunderers, in five i deytroyed his warriors and thunderrs, overrun by shades to the bolt. One last harpie blocked his march army. His hopes to reach the combat was ruined. I deytroyed bolt, overrrun to the thunderers in the wood and the game was finished.
My second RXB on right flank were shooting at his hammerers, taking down around 6 models (they hadnt shields, but ward save 5+).

My loses: one unit of dr, half of unit of cok, one rbt, one scout, half of one infantry (5 killed by canonball, others by my supreme).
I won 845 VP for me.

Fitht battle. DE. Dragon, 16 we, 15 BG, 2 sorcs, 6 coks, chariot, 5 and 6 dr, hydra.

I made a very bad deploy. I took very bad lore (metal, damned). And worst spells i rolled. I charged his hydra by my hydra and win, but i didnt break him. I moved my units, casted my spells, shot my shooting...and i knew i didnt move my harpies to block his witches, as i wanted and planned! All my game went to...in third turn i shoot down his hydra with 1last wound, but her beastmasters charged my rbt:( . And i knew, that half of my army block my own line of sight for my shooting part of army. Very bad mistakes, and all were payed by the highest prices. He massacreted me, but i break his dragon in challenge from CR. (yeah, my supreme managed to kill GG sampion in challenge, and than hold up his dragon with dreadlord, viva la pendant!).

It ended 5:15 and i have fallen from the first to the 4th from the 19 players.

By the way: i rolled around 11 miscast.