1k First list ever

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Fletch395
Trainee Warrior

1k First list ever

Post by Fletch395 »

Okay so back story.

Mate i've known for about 5 months came round last week, saw my few vampire counts models and dwarfs on my shelf and revealed he has 5k of High Elves he stopped playing in year 9 (now both in college) because he had no one to play with, we might be able to play a couple games, get down to Warhammer World and start from scratch together. If not, i still want to start playing anyway :)

NOTE:List now is its second "life" after some help. Its no longer defensive based.

NOTE 2: List now on its third change, hope this is good/better. I added killing blow to the assassin, and Blood Armour to the master as i had points left.

I cant wait until the first time i get to use my assassin, 4 attacks and any 6's mean a instant point for him :) The LAW practically dictates i should get 1 if not 2 of these in 2 rounds of combat =]=]

Master (with the Black Guard)
Pendant of Khaeleth
Blood Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Aditional hand weapon

Scorceress
Level 2 Wizard
Darkstar Cloak

20 Dark Elf Warriors
Shield
Lordling
Musician
Standard Bearer

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen

5 Dark Riders
Repeater Crossbows
Musician

Assassin 90(In the Black Guard)
Aditional Hand Weapon
Touch of Death

9 Black Guard of Naggarond 1
Tower Master
Musician
Standard Bearer
Standard of Hag Graef
Last edited by Fletch395 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Welcome in the druchii world!

Do you already own the models?
- YES => you need tactical advice
- NO => you need Army list building advice.

It seems that you count on having superiority in melee in order to win the game. By sticking to a hill or a corner, you rely on the opponent to come and get you.

The problem with such a defensive strategy is twofold:
- you need to affect and destroy the enemy somehow. Usually for a defensive list, it is done with heavy magic and/or shooting. Contrary to dwarves/empire, you cannot force your opponent to react or die with your cannons.
- you need to resist the enemy distant aggressions if he chooses not to run after you.

How do you intend to win the game?
How do you intend to resist against magic and shooting?

My feeling is that you are still in the mind of playing dwarves.
Dark Elves are the opposite:
- excellent magic
- outstanding mobility
- impressive melee capability, albeit relying on agressivity and hampered by low resilience: you need to win the first round
- vulnerability to shooting.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

I think the numbers are a bit odd. 15 rxb are too much, second line can't fire and 15 wide won't go anywhere. Especially not the second row on the battlefield.
16 spear elves are funny, too.

As Calisson pointed out:
Nothing in yout list looks like you are going to move out of your corner.

On the assassin:
How should he realise about him? You only place him when you choose to reveal him. The cloak of twilight is not making any sense here. It is easily dispelled since it's the only thing he needs them dispel dice for.

If you meet our traitorous cousins stock up on shooting, melee will hurt since they always strike first.
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
Fletch395
Trainee Warrior

Post by Fletch395 »

@ Calisson: No i dont own the models yet, and while i was hoovering up i wondered if it was abit to dwarflike. If i swap out the RBT and 10 corsairs, should i get a sorcerer or Hydra to add a little punch?

@ Cathel: I meant if he saw a strong unit, he might think there was an assassin hidden in it. And i forgot CoT was only thing to dispel, i was half thinking of some VC lists i was playing around with "if i waste his dispell on IoN or something, hand of dust can go through" Big opps on my half, i'll get back to re-working it.

NOTE: I've made some adjustments to the list

In the new list, i chose to ignor the thing about stocking up on shooting...May be foolish, only played a few games before with goblins, and this is so ignorant of me but i thought that Eternal Hatred against the HE will be usefull to counterbalance the always hit first? Sort of
"Yes you hit me first..but Aha, i reroll my attacks"
I dont want to appear rude or stupid or ignorant, just wondered how that might work out?
Last edited by Fletch395 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borog
Beastmaster

Post by Borog »

If you buy the boxes wou will end up with 32 models. Take 20 with spears and 12 with rxb. 16 elves with spears are not worth it. But a cheap way to start is actually the battalion box. Gives you access to most of what you nead and is cheaper.
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

In the last time I play mostly 1000 pts. Normally I have 10 DR and 5 harpies in there.
Shades are good, too. With WS & BS 5 they are a real pain. They are within short range fast if placed in a wood on the field.
Black Guard are nice, if you fit the Standard of Hag Graef in there, they will strike before most of the HE units, except Dragon Princes and Phoenix Guard.

Is money much of an issue? Since the DR are not available as a unit but only as single minis.

You might want to check out the D.R.A.I.C.H. (link is in my sig). You will find a lot of tactical advice there.

Edit:
Hatred helps, but dead man don't hit back. I had a game vs HE and shooting did it! Lots of his stuff never saw combat.
Last edited by Cathel on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
Men run naked - Asrai
Fletch395
Trainee Warrior

Post by Fletch395 »

Money isnt really an issue, as its going to be a christmas presant from my mum :)

And on the Standard of Hag Graef: I thought HE units ALWAYS strike first? Even if there against things which have always strike first aswell?
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

No, that's just the name of the rule. If both sides strike first you revert to initiative. BG has I 6, on the HE side PG and DP have that, everything else is below (not characters of course).

Get some DR, they are essential in my eyes. March blockers, flankers and shooters in one unit.
Men run naked - Asrai
Fletch395
Trainee Warrior

Post by Fletch395 »

Ohhhhh right....saying that, i'm sure i heard that idea of mine over at Uthewan or something...hmm

Dark Riders eh? Never really liked the Fast Cav approach, i always skimmed them over in the BRB thinking "Pah...puny horsemen with little armour, i dont want THEM!"

now i'm thining "Puny horsemen with little armour, i dont want TH--eh? Dark elves with little armour...assassins with no armour...black guard with little armour...Seeing a pattern here"

What should i ditch to fit in the DR? I dont really want to drop the assassin, as its a unit i've never even looked at before, and i just want to use it. Would i be foolish to drop the Sorceress? i'm 80% sure my first game will be vs HE, they cant bring that much magic to a slow, friendly 1k game can they?

EDIT: On the DR note, i dont think i'll be using the cold one knights if i get the battalion, do you think i could semi convert the riders using the rider torso and corsair bodies? (since i only want 10 of them and the battalion gives 20) and put them on the 5 horses u get from this thing:Part code 99120299016 (5 medieval horses)?
Andruillius
Highborn

Post by Andruillius »

Ditch the Corsairs - easily better to use Dark Riders.

And I wouldn't convert any of the 20 Corsairs, either - you'll need them all in a 2000pts list. If you want cheap Dark Riders, get some Glade Riders.

And keep the Sorceress. Dark Magic is soooooo good.
Unofficial and self-appointed ambassador of
www.battleglade.com
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The question is getting around the Dark Elf Battalion
This box contains:
12 Dark Elf Warriors with spear and shield,
16 Dark Elf Warriors with repeater crossbow,
20 Corsairs
5 Cold One Knights.

You aim (3rd try) to get:
Master
Scorceress 2
Assassin
20 Dark Elf Warriors
10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen
5 Dark Riders Repeater Crossbows
9 Black Guard Standard of Hag Graef

I suggest you kept the CoK from the battalion and use them initially instead of the BG. The models are awesome, and they are the only armored troops that you will ever get. They fulfill a similar role as the central strong hitter. They can have ring and magic banneer as well.

I suggest you kept also the corsairs. The models are awesome as well. I'd recommand you had 10 of them with rhb. If later on you want a big 20 corsair unit, you'll just have to put them in the rear.

Then you will have a great variety of troops.

For the list you posted, you'll still need to buy 5 DR, 1 master, 1 sorceress and 1 assassin.

After a few games, you'll find out that the master is not as good as you wished, that the sorceress alone does not pass through the opponent's magic defense but the assassin is impressive.
You'll quickly need a second assassin, a second sorceress and many, many more DR.

Also, you may wish to have three 10 MXB units (with shields), especially if you still have your corsairs as a big block of infantry. Especially against HE, they will be very valuable.

So, with the mere addition of 2 sorc, 2 assassins and 10 DR (=converted WE glade riders), the mere battalion box seems very viable and affordable to me.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}