I had a really tough day today...

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

I had a really tough day today...

Post by Dark Alliance »

A couple of my friends wanted some practice for upcoming tournaments.

This was the list I chose:

Level 4(General) - dark pegasus, scroll, focus familiar, black dragon egg
Level 2 - scroll, darkstar cloak
BSB - dark steed, hydra banner, sdc, ha, shield, lance

5 DRs - rxbs
5 DRs - rxbs
10 Warriors - rxbs
5 Harpies
5 Harpies

6 COKs - std, ch, ring of hotek
5 Shades - ahw, la
5 Shades - gw

Hydra
2 RBTs

2000pts

First up were 2 games in readiness for the Throne of Skulls UKGT Finals against THIS :shock:

Grey Seer - scroll , warpstone charm(I think)
3 Enginners with 1 more scroll and the storm daemon plus accumulators

3 units of 23 Clanrats
3 ratling guns
2 units of 20 slaves
5 Nightrunners
9 Jezzails
2 Tunneling teams
20 Plague monks
2 warp lightning cannons

In game 1 my level 2 miscast with her first spell and ended the entire phase as my shooting couldn't hit the side of a barn. Eventually I got the better of him in turns 4 and 5 and we finished the game with a minor win for me. The Skaven had first turn btw and we played pitched battle.

In game 2, with a different terrain set up we played Annihalation and I got first turn. I basically ran at him and put his casters under threat with my Harpies, DRs and Shades. Turn 1 I caused a Clanrat unit to run off the board from panic, carrying an Engineer with them. I used my dice very effectively, along with both scrolls in turns 1 which then allowed a turn 2 charge by the Harpy units into the other 2 Engineers in their Clanrat units. Both died.

We only got three turns in before our next game opponents turned up, but at this point 3 Engineers were dead, 1 ratling gun, 1 warp lightning cannon, 2 units of clanrats, 1 unit of slaves, 1 tunneling team and the jezzails were all also dead. The Grey Seer was looking at 2 black horrors ahead of a turn 4 charge from the BSB/COKs when wee stopped...

Game 3 was a complete change of pace. It was practice for my friend who is playing in the UK Masters this weekend (which means I can only show the closed list he used, so use your imagination for the magic items)

Black Orc on Wyvern
Level 1
BSB on foot
Goblin hero on wolf

2 units 23 Orcs
2 units 5 wolf riders
5 spider riders
20 night goblins + fanatics
10 squighoppers
20 black orcs
giant
rock lobber
2 bolt throwers
doomdiver

Because we were using a version of the ETC ladder system, he had 2500pts and I kept my 2000pts. At the end of the game, his vps scored get an extra 10% added to them, mine get 10% deducted.

It was a tough game for me, but in the end I kept it to a draw. Average dice on both sides.

What do you think to the list? It was a good test. 3 hard fought games. Felt like the Sunday of a GT! :?
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

The list is waht I would describe as a hard list which I am given to believe you will need in your upcomin event. It has strong shooting and magic with an element of no touch along with a copule of close combat monsters to broom things up.
Basically your opponent has to kill the CoKs/BsB or the Lord to score any points and he has to catch you first.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Yeah it is a hard list but the tournies are ones I am reffing, not playing. The other guys are the players.

I'm leaning towards the black dragon egg quite a lot at the moment in other lists too. I like it.
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Nice, looking forward to the masters but want to avoid Mr Johnston and Mr turner, 2500pts is hard. Nice lists. I have gone back to DE's as i will not survive your nagging.

Will post a list later. No dragonmage, she is retired.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

Black horror is pretty sweet now that is avoids MR and is pretty much immune to Mr. Hotek and his wicked ring right?
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

It's not like BH was bad to begin with... :lol:

But in my experience, MR is not exactly commonplace, and the ring, ok, usually you have it, so you have control over its placement.

The big factor now is, that you can cast BH into close combat thanks to the new rulings. Ouch!

Bye
Thanee
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Thanee wrote:It's not like BH was bad to begin with... :lol:

But in my experience, MR is not exactly commonplace, and the ring, ok, usually you have it, so you have control over its placement.

The big factor now is, that you can cast BH into close combat thanks to the new rulings. Ouch!

Bye
Thanee

I'm not quite sure how this has drifted into a discussion about Black Horror :shock: :? but while we are on the subject, Thanee run your reasoning by me again for why you think it can be cast into combat.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Sorry! :lol:

Because...

A. Yes, as the spell is not cast ‘at’ any specific target, but it affects all friendly units within 12”.

From the new WHFB FAQ Part II answer why Guardian of Light affects units in close combat.

Only spells that are ‘cast at’ units engaged in close combat are disallowed by the rulebook.

Black Horror is not ‘cast at’ units.

The new MR errata and FAQ have changed what ‘cast at’ means. Previously it could only really be read as affecting a unit, but now it is targeting a unit, which only happens when a spell has a single unit as a direct target.

Bye
Thanee
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Ooo...

So, what is your answer when someone sharply responds by saying that the spell 'does not say it can be cast into combat'? Surely this will lead to yet another semantics argument??
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

No, why should it?

That part is in the same paragraph that has the ‘cast at’ part.

Spells that are ‘cast at’ units cannot be cast at units in close combat
-- unless they specifically say that they can

Guardian of Light does not have the ‘can be cast into close combat’ part.
The spell hasn't been errataed to include that language. The FAQ explained, that it can be cast into close combat, because the spell is not ‘cast at’ any specific target.

I can't say, that I consider this a particulary good idea (same with the strange and unnecessary MR change), but I can see absolutely no ground for the opposite.

Bye
Thanee
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Hmm

I can see your point.
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Why do you like the black dragon egg so much? I see it asa cool and nift little item but the only reason I'd take it over a scroll or perhaps the pendant would be because it is more exciting rather than more useful. I can't see the t6 really saving you too much especially since you have to declare it at the start of the turn (although it could help th psycological battle a bit). So I'm guessing you like the breath weapon aspect more. Am I right? And how often does either ability come in handy, and how often are both abilities useful in the same game?
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Ant some things are just fun!

Good to hear from you. Are you still playing/doing any tournies this year?
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

I'd try to get a null talisman or two onto your level 4 mate. I've been using a level 4 on an eagle for about 2 years now in my high elves and i've found that having even magic res 1 makes a reallly big difference. Without it you fall foul of things such as the daemon's staff of nurgle and whatnot that are otherwise hard to contain. And lets be honest, with the focus familiar, magic is the only thing that will ever kill it.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

2 changes I would make if I use the list again are give the COKs the Cold Blooded Banner, and put a Null Talisman on the Level 4!