2200 tournament list : dragon lord equipment?

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Undeadcatd
Noble

2200 tournament list : dragon lord equipment?

Post by Undeadcatd »

Hi :D
I want to design a list which focus on movement , shooting and close combat phase.

Here 's the list

Dreadlord / Black Dragon

General; SDC; Shield
AOES , Deathpiercer , SOG

BSB/steed

HA; SDC; Shield;
Sword of Might
Pendant of Khaeleth

Sorceress , scroll *2

10 RBX warriors Shield; Musician

5 Dark Riders RBX

5 Dark Riders RBX , M

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

15 Black Guard ASF banner ; Crimson Death

6 Cold One Knights Ring of Hotek

2 Reaper Bolt Thrower

1 War Hydra
2199 points

here's some question . :)

A dragon lord well combined the movement ,close combat , and shooting. But I am not so sure about his items :
1. Will MR2 better than 1 DD?
2.AOES vs armor of darkness?
3.Deathpiercer , or lance + potion of stength ?
Umpac
Warrior

Post by Umpac »

1: I would rather take the Dispell Dice (Im assuming you're thinking about Ghrond vs Null talismans), because the dragon is pretty tough, a smart general will tarket your weaker stuff with magic. And if it is the lord that is going to be holding the Null Talismans then you cant take Pendant of Kaeleth.

2. Armor of Darkness is great, Eternal Servitude is better. If you take AoD you M U S T take Pendant of Kaleth, or any high strenght attack or attacks with no armor save will eat you alive (hello Lore of Metal). AoES + PoK = invicible lord. Seariously, he cant be killed, ever, Unless he is broken in combat and run down, but I play my dragon lord with only AoES, since the tournies in sweden usually gives you a rather big comp hit if you take it, and it has worked well (haven't faced dwarven flaming cannons yet tho...). Personally i would give him PoK and AoES to the BSB, since the dragon lord is gonna take a bunch of cannon and boltthrower fire, while the BSB can be rather safe inside a unit.

3. I would much rather take the Caledor lance for a consistent S7 on the charge, or Crimson Death for a consistent S6. Killing blow is nice but a lot of the armies with tough characters have some form of KB immunity, and against most other armies the 9x S6 with Hate is gonna bring down most of them in a round of combat or two. There are better things for KB killing chars anyway, such as a Rune of Khain, Touch of Death, Black Lotus assassins.

The potion is nice for boosting your strenght in the second round of combat when the lance is useless, but the lack of magical attacks can mean you get stucked with something etheral and get to watch your dragon slowly get killed. If you want a decent strenght in all rounds of combat, go Crimson Death. Crimson Death + AoES + PoK is a rather standard dragon dreadlord set up.
"A computer wont stop you from being an idiot, but it will make you a faster, better idiot."
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

I have been having fun with regen armour, ring of hotek and Crimson death and it is one of the best lay outs. The pendant is not a must.

Also personally i woulld use that build the and get banner of murder on the knights but a solid army.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Myelisik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Myelisik »

i've been running this dragon to great success

Dreadlord Dragon, Armor of Darkness, Pendant, Crimson Death

I love the pendant with a good armor save, when the armor save is destroyed by high strength the WS kicks in, when the Str is low, the armor save is good. As for ignore AS stuff, usually it's high strength so the pendant helps out. If it's shooting the dragon will likely take most of the hits for u anyway. If it's close combat attacks then ur fine. Dragons should always charge, and always pick their own combats. So one, avoid something like that, or two kill all of it before it kills u.

UmPac is right the dragon is super tough, let him cast away against it. The only thing to watch out for is a gateway (which MR isn't going to stop anyway), beast lore, and that annoying slaanesh spell that has u going running off after stuff.

With the AoD pendant combo u can put the AoES on ur BSB (something i just picked in my own army's thread).
Undeadcatd
Noble

Post by Undeadcatd »

thanks for reply ~

@Myelisik

the reason I didnt take AOD , CD , pendant combination :

I got a pendant BSB(there are many threads about this famous char :) )
BG champion got CD

Metal Lore also useful to kill the lord..

@Marauder Mitch2

I really like banner of murder on cok , but no points to buy..
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

The dragon lord is the best place for RoH and with AoES you have a couple of good saves, but it really dampens any ideas to magic the dragon off. That means you can swap the champ for a std and get BoM.

Horror

Myelisik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Myelisik »

i never like the RoH on a dragon. Dragon's like to get into positions for rear and flank charges, taking the RoH away from the bulk of your army. A nice centered RoH would do more than one off to the side or rear of the action.
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

but you are not covering your army you are covering there wizards which is even better. I played a magic heavy Daemon armty and the ring in the centre meant only 1 dice spells.

Horror

Myelisik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Myelisik »

yea though the enemy has his movement phase to get away from the ring. And when playing DEs a tourny general should know to spread out his casters a little.

-Mye
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

They should but by march blocking them it is hard to get out of range and then threatening a flank or rear charge with a dragon and being shot from the front it is a lose lose situation. Also a lot of tournament players only play a few events as myself i have done around 9 this year. And good players need to be able to answer it.

The ring on a unit champion is common now and most people know how to kill it easily, RoBI, Steal Soul, chariots and shooting into BG so the Dragon is a safer bet.

Mye at my last event i faced 3 cheese lists with the GWGT list i posted and got 2 wins and a draw against some filth.

Horror

Myelisik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Myelisik »

alls i be sayins is if the ring is in the middle of your army 90% of the army is DEFINITELY covered, if it's on the dragon 100% of your army is SOMETIMES covered. 'Tis risky.

Anyhoo ur dragon should be fine if he turns his casting unit around to cast on the dragon ur entire army can get rear/flank charges.

P.S. Ring on unit champion with master having null talisman is still super nasty. Which is why i'd put AoES on bsb with null talisman, and give the BG unit champion the ring, and put the crimson death on the lord
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

I always run my Dragonlord with AoES, Lance, Potion of Strength, SDC, Shield, and PoK. He's basically unkillable and hits hard for two turns of combat with 4 Strength 6 attacks on the first turn, and if he gets bogged down I pop the potion and he gets 4 attacks at Strength 7. With all that and the Dragons 5 attacks on Strength 6 per turn, they can cut through anything.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1