Reaper Bolt Throwers???

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Doug
Warrior

Reaper Bolt Throwers???

Post by Doug »

HI I've been reading A LOT of the post on the army list site. What i don't read is, hardly anyone using bolt throwers. With the new rules are they that nerfed?? I like them, they put fear into the heart of the 'Brets" and are great fun when you knock off that dragon riding :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P ! Well any how, that is my question.
Douglas
Darigaaz
Black Guard

Post by Darigaaz »

IMO they haven't been nerfed at all. That said, units are generally a lot bigger now, so a potential 6 casualities won't leave much of a mark on a horde unit as it would a smaller unit from 7th.

I used to take between 2-3, now I only take one, because it's still useful for skewering larger critters like a Varghulf :D
"I am hatred, darkness and despair".
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

No, they are still very good. People just don't like the new warmachine rules, and cave to the forum hysteria that they are useless.

I've had games where they have netted 3 times their points, and games where they've done literally nothing. Depends on your opponents, one is pretty much staple in my lists.
Coryl99
Warrior

Post by Coryl99 »

i take one simply cause i like the model and the idea of it.
8th ed. Record win-tie-loss
Dark Elves: 2-0-0
Bretonnians: 0-0-0
Painted:
Dark Elves 1000pts.: 80%
Bretonnians 1000pts: 50%
Dzer0
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dzer0 »

I think the Hydra just got a lot better.

I used to take the Hydra just to add a little extra killing power, but now I depend on multiple Hydras to pull the heat off the rest of my troops much more. The Breath Weapon in combat, and the Stomp Sttack just puts it over the top.
Doug
Warrior

Post by Doug »

Thanks for you responses I think I am going to keep mine!!
Douglas :D
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

People may disagree with me, but I think opponents will laugh at reapers this edition. Whats their use...?

- killing light regiments? With swift reform RxBs are vastly better.

- Killing big nasties? You do not get +1 to hit large targets any more, and even when you manage the odd hit, S6 D3 wounds is not gonna cut it.

- Killing heavy regiments? Nearly all important regiments in 8th at either extremely tough to kill or so nummerous and cheap, that bolt thrower could never make a difference.

- Killing warmachines is not gonna work either with the new collective profile for warmachines.

2 reapers is 200 points. What are they there for? Giving out easy victory points...? Mine are on the shelf for now!
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

They used to be great for killing those critical support units in 7th. Now those are less critical the reapers are too.

Similarly they posed athreat to large flying targets. There arent as many of them around either.

Its all about the meta!