Need a little help with my 3k 'Ardboyz list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Nightblade183
Assassin

Need a little help with my 3k 'Ardboyz list

Post by Nightblade183 »

I decided I would try bringing no magic and see how it works out, I don't quite have a handle on the new magic rules and frankly magic has never really worked that well for me. So if you're going to try to convince me to take magic, save your breath. Here's my list so far:

Highborn w/ Dragon,
Shield, SDC, Lance,
AoES, PoS, PoK - 575pts

Assassin w/ Ad. HW, Manbane,
and Touch of Death - 151pts

50 Corsairs w/ FC and SSS - 550pts

5 DRs w/ rxbs, mus - 117pts

5 Harpies - 65pts

5 Harpies - 65pts

20 Rxbs w/ shields, mus - 225pts

COC - 100pts

COC - 100pts

Hydra -175pts

Hydra -175pts

2 RBTs -200pts

Which brings me to a total of 2,732pts, leaving me 268pts left to spend on my COK unit. I just would like opinions on both the list and how best to spend my remaining 268pts on COKs. Thanks - Nighty
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

I'll start by saying my 8th ed experience is limited. But, in a 3k game, and with a large unit of corsairs like that i would be tempted with a cauldron. Also, a battle standard bearer wouldn't go a miss... you could have both together or put the BSB in with a 10ish strong cold one unit - that'll sort any stupidity problems out. of course, that will be over 268pts... choices choices. (with two COC's i would give the COK's a miss and put a BSB and a CoB in).
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

You can no longer take both a regular ward save and a regen save -- just one or the other. As a result, PoK and AoES is a bit redundant.

That unit of corsairs is HUGE and I don't really understand why. In my opinion, there are two types of troops that should go for really big units -- those that are either really cheap and (like gobbos, skavenslaves) or those that are really hard to kill and can play points-denial (Grave Guard w/Drakenhof Banner). Corsairs don't fall into either category. I think 2 units of 30 would be better and would give you more flexibity on the battlefield.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Dzer0
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dzer0 »

Also the muso's really don't give much of an advantage to fast cav now either.
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

Thanks for the replies, I reason I was going with the big unit of corsairs was I haven't tried out the Vanguard rules yet and I wanted to have a massive infantry block (10 x 5) that could plod across the table and hopefully have a rank or 2 left when it reaches the enemy. Also I'll be putting the assassin in this unit to carve up opponents in challenges or pwn cheap infantry. The main purpose of the Corsair unit is to be a massive anvil, and hopefully with the assassin for challenges and the dragons and hydras to go for my opponents big threats, this unit should be able to do it's job. I feel like the knights would be more beneficial than a cauldron (also I don't own a cauldron) as with 2 vanguards (Corsairs and Rxbmen) it could use a little more hitting power than the dragon and 2 hydras. Granted I also have the 2 chariots, but those are going to be on either side of my Corsair Vanguard protecting the flanks. So I really have the Dragon, 2 hydras, and maybe a COK unit for my killy power. I will swap out AoES for Heavy Armor and maybe drop the muso's on the DR. I'll take the extra points and put them towards my COK unit. Thanks guys! - Nighty
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

All those corsairs in one unit.... wow. If you get stuck in, you are not going to be working on the other guys other units. Maybe a unit of 20 and a Unit of 30? or 35 and 15?
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

dzer0 wrote:Also the muso's really don't give much of an advantage to fast cav now either.

Kinda, the musician allows them to reform and shoot i believe, so although they've lost some bonus from it they've gained others.
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Fingol23
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Fingol23 »

Yeah the corsiars are a bit big, I would go for 40 max in one unit.

For the Dragon Lord I might be tempted to drop the pendant as there are several situations where it provides no use whatsoever such as the three lore of death character sniping spells. You could either then swap the AoES for the 4+ ward save in the rule book or take the ring of hotek.

If you don't take the ring on the lord I would say it was a must for your CoK champ.

Finally your assasin would be much better off with Rune of Khaine rather than Manbane and possibly Black Lotus if you can afford it.
WIP First War Against Chaos Expansion
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... e7da5c4719

WS3 / S3 / T3 / D4 / I5
Skills: Basic Stealth
Items: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak
Dzer0
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dzer0 »

Mr_PieChee wrote:
dzer0 wrote:Also the muso's really don't give much of an advantage to fast cav now either.

Kinda, the musician allows them to reform and shoot i believe, so although they've lost some bonus from it they've gained others.

Actually, pg. 68

Fast Cav have both: Free Reform, and Fire on the March special rules. They can reform as many times as they wish during their move and still file once they get there (even on a turn they march).

The muso will:
1. aid in tied combat - not really necessary
2. give +1 leadership bonus to rally - not really necessary either

After being surprised myself when I read this, I promptly dropped all of the musos from fast cav.
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Ok, thanks for clearing that up - totally agree, there pretty pointless now!
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

"If you don't take the ring on the lord I would say it was a must for your CoK champ. "

I was planning on putting it on my COK champ ;)
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Dezdanova767
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dezdanova767 »

Dyvim Tvar wrote:You can no longer take both a regular ward save and a regen save -- just one or the other. As a result, PoK and AoES is a bit redundant.

That unit of corsairs is HUGE and I don't really understand why. In my opinion, there are two types of troops that should go for really big units -- those that are either really cheap and (like gobbos, skavenslaves) or those that are really hard to kill and can play points-denial (Grave Guard w/Drakenhof Banner). Corsairs don't fall into either category. I think 2 units of 30 would be better and would give you more flexibity on the battlefield.

You can have both, you just always have to use the best, which is why if your going to take AOES, I would always suggest taking the Dragonbane Gem, 5 pt talisman from new brb gives you a 2+ ward bs all flaming attacks. On a dragonlord I'd go crimson death(or whip of agony with str 5 arp and +1 atk) armor of eternal servitude, dragonbane gem, crown of commandand a full mundane kit. 2+ armor save, 4+ regen, 2+ ward vs flames, stubborn 10 lord is an uber tarpit