Mangil manflayers are there rules for him?

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cheds234
Trainee Warrior

Mangil manflayers are there rules for him?

Post by Cheds234 »

Is there any rules for mangils manflayers, iheard a few people mention some thing called dogs of war, are these rules still around and are they useable in the current wfb rules system, i brought the models before xmas as many people had said they make good shades which they do but, in the rule book there is a small paragraph with im and the unit mentioned and thats it?
Littleboyblues
Corsair

Post by Littleboyblues »

I have them in a white dwarf around here somewhere I don't know where they can still be found. The basic run down is He is a master with a great weapon and RxB one of his weapons is magical. His standard is a standard and is an additional -1 to hit the unit. All other models are shades with great weapons and RxB's. I think their 18 points a pop and the character is 180ish?... That's all off memory. I'll look up the white dwarf later and see what issue. I bought the models about a month ago and I'm gonna run them as shades.
Littleboyblues
Corsair

Post by Littleboyblues »

White Dwarf 296 Page 9
Cheds234
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cheds234 »

Cheers for that, i see if i have that book at home and try it out, i had also noticed some people saying shades arent as good in the new list as the old one and somebody at my club suggested using the unit as a corsair type unit that way i an use the musican and the banner in the unit
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Shades this edition are pretty much on par with Mengil's fellas. You also cannot use them in this edition any more unless your opponent lets you (so they're a no go for tournies). They also have to follow all the rules in the white dwarf so their RxB don't get AP (guess they weren't around when the new batch was handed out...), and their weapons are only poisoned, because the dark venom or whatever it was they get, now simply confers the poison special rule, even though their weapons are poisoned anyway.

All in all you don't lose too much by playing them as shades rather than man flayers.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Cheds234
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cheds234 »

Thanks ok then one other question why would i want to give the shades great weapons? attack last and get squashed easly i cant see the point unless i take a master and add it to the unit but could be very costly?
Jacoby
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jacoby »

Giving shades great weapons has no place in the new 8'th addition, with the new rule for great weapons imo..

But in the old addition, it was a good tactic for distroying small units, or as backup charges (:
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

Yeah, todays modern shades prefer an additional hand weapon and a little shadow magic - and then they're truly ferocious 
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

It seems that most people tend to use the Mengil's Manflayers as shades (myself included), but the actual rules were printed in White Dwarf many many moons ago, as mentioned earlier. At one time I seem to remember seeing them published on the GW website too, but I seriously doubt if they're still there now as this was years ago. I'm sure if I am right about this then someone out there will know when and where this was...
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Bloodhawk
Trainee Warrior

Post by Bloodhawk »

Anchanrogar
Corsair

Post by Anchanrogar »

I remember a VC player demolishing people with his mengil manhide manflayers unit in a campaign way back when they were released...
at the time shades were WB/BS 4, hand weapon, RxB.
The manflayers, with WS4/BS5, heavy armour, great weapons, RxB, poisened attacks and -1 to hit (-2 at more than 12") them with shooting were better to an insane degree.
twas WD 298 way back in 2004...

I wondered why my shades were so outclassed by this vampire count's mercenaries :D
As ir happened they were probably a trial run for the future (current) shades :S
A man without tea in him is incapable of comprehending either truth or beauty.