Shades or Bolt Throwers?

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Shades or Bolt Throwers?

Post by Demetrius »

Hey guys, Im going into a 2400 point tournement in April and Im writing a list atm. ATM Im stuck though, I need more shooting, I know that, but cant decide whether 2 RBTs or 2 units of 5 Shades would be more useful.

The rest of my list roughly looks like this

Dreadlord- Manticore, SDC, SH, Lance, BDE, SOG, AOES
Hag- BSB, COB
Sorceress- LVL2, TOF, Scroll

30 Warriors- Shields, FC
20 Crossbows- Shields, Muso
5 DRs- RXBs
5 DRs- RXBs

14 Executioners- FC
14 Witch Elves- FC, BOEF
5 COKs

Hydra

The way I see it, shades are better all rounders and more versatile, can hunt warmachines etc, however at 2400 Im not sure how long they will last up close to the enemy (magic missiles etc) as well as my 2 DR units can forfill the warmachine hunter role.

The bolt throwers will be useful for shooting heavier or tougher opponents and can put pressure on enemy monsters, but they dont take much to be killed with 2 wounds.

Either way, I need more shooting. Any imput would be appreciated :)
Hainzy
Dark Rider

Post by Hainzy »

Hey mate,

Bolties have been some what nerfed a bit in 8th ed seeing st 3 shooting can now take them out alot easier.

If it were me I'd take the bolties. It gives you that long range threat and can take out you opponents light cav or other war machine hunters.

But as you've said. They only have two wounds.

Ah, the joys of list building....

Cheers,

H :twisted:
You can take your vamp lord on zombie dragon, 48 graveguard, blackcoach, 3 wraiths, 2 units of dogs and your 3 units of 10 piddly zombies and shove them up your f&$%ing a$$.....

Worst game of warhammer I've ever played.....

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Senluthan
Beastmaster

Post by Senluthan »

if i should choose between shades and RBT shades.. i prefer mobile armies.. but more than any of them i would say with you RxB and DR you have enough shooting and personally i would fletch out the COK instead.. hmm just another thought..

But shades..
Senluthan Redskull
Group 36 Mod
Kadahn
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kadahn »

The other thing to keep in mind with a large game is that there are more units on the table. The more bodies he has in his battle line the harder it is to deploy your scouts in an advantageous flanking position, robbing them of one of their main benefits.

Not rating one over the other, as I include both at that level, but its something to consider.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I also agree with bulking up the Cold One Knights...

If you really think you need more shooting though, I'd take the Shades. They're just a lot more flexible for different roles than the bolt throwers are, and you have other hard-hitting options in your list if you find you need something that's Strength 6.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Go for the shades. Not only do they add to shooting, but they are good for hunting enemy war machines.
Truly These are the End Times ...
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

Another vote for Shades with AHW. They're precise, mobile and cheap to throw away.

And they're ninja ;)
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Yes definitely shades with AHW. Like many have said, they're way more versatile.

I personally like mobile shooting platforms over static ones for the greater flexibility and maneuverability. Which is why I prefer DR and Shades over RxB and RBT. They can avoid soft or hard cover modifiers, and you end up picking what you want to shoot at, not what your opponent decides to throw at you.

Shades can hunt WM, redirect, assassinate characters, especially wizards coupled with your CoB KB, it can easily kill off light cav and avoid being charged whilst continuing to shoot.

RBT can kill heavy cav and wound monsters easier, on top of everything else, are somewhat accurate, but that's it. It's an immobile shooting platform and is too expensive for the few things it can do.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Ok, Shades are looking like the winners here.

However, a couple of you suggested bulking up the COKs. My original plan was to actually have 10 with FC and SOHG, but I thought I needed more shooting. Is what I have enough already? I know its 60 shots, but only from 3 units, and everyone knows how inaccurate RXBs unless you have lots of them.

Again thanks for the feedback
Gjriff
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Gjriff »

+1 for Shades w/ 2 hand weapons
I roll more 1's than binary!!!!
Aveleys
Cold One Knight

Post by Aveleys »

Demetrius the Betrayer wrote:However, a couple of you suggested bulking up the COKs. My original plan was to actually have 10 with FC and SOHG

You could bulk up the cold ones which would be a good idea since at 5 of them if they take one or two wounds then they are much less effective. A third option would be to add more executioners. I used to run a unit of 15 and it was never enough since most the time they died before getting to strike.
Cheers,
-Ave
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I really like my unit of 10 Knights. With Cauldron support, they're even more effective.

I myself only have 20 repeater crossbowmen in my 2500 list (no other shooting at all) and have good success. I used to have Shades and a Manbane/Rending Star Assassin also, but I dropped them to include Harpies and more robust Special choices. Since then, I've fought Skaven, Warriors of Chaos, Dwarves and other Dark Elves with great success. The 10-strong Cold One Knights were pivotal in each of my games.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Dm crew
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dm crew »

Sorceress- LVL2, TOF, Scroll

It is invalid, because sorc cant take 2 Arcane items)
And IMO Shades are better.
Malekii
Shade

Post by Malekii »

I would take one of each and then spend the leftover points on the CoK and other stuff.
Never trust a monster wearing a top hat

Hi, i'm Malekii but you can call me My Lord.
Blunch3
Trainee Warrior

Post by Blunch3 »

Only take Shades in smaller point games. They become more and more useless the larger the games get.
Sulphunet
Dark Rider

Post by Sulphunet »

I don't know, Shades always have a place. Especially against artillery armies, such as Dwarfs. But bulking out COK is a really good idea, maybe even dropping some other shooring units.

I play very heavy combat armies, and find shooting doesn't always help, so I usually run 8-10 COK, which is amazing on its own. With a Magic Banner, or COB, they are nigh unstoppable. Bulk the COK
Success is measured in blood. Either yours, or your enemy's.

Ravenwing011
Slave on the Altar

Post by Ravenwing011 »

Shades no questions, and if you really want to keep it intersting run an assassin with them, take manbane and rending stars. The manbane will give him one str higher than his target (max of 6) the stars gives him +1 str so agaisnt warmachines and high toughness targets he can potentially reach str 7 maximum. If this seems extreme we checked on this for the tournament and its totally legal. The shades wil provide extra wounds to keep him alive and extra shooting to mop up. It works wonders at our local tourney and helped me take out three warshrines. It really forces your opponent to deal with the mobile threat they provide.

just my ywo cents, but i'm taking shades and assassins more often now.
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Moved to Army lists
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I'd go shades. Bolt throwers need at least 3 or 4 models to be useful as a single one no longer can cause a unit to panic as many units are being fielded larger and larger for steadfast and hordes rules.

Besides, shades can be parked just in range of several units, or safely within charge distance of some warmachines/shooty units that you know won't charge you.