Dark Elves Rebirth

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Malarith
Slave on the Altar

Dark Elves Rebirth

Post by Malarith »

Hey Guys

I DE were my first Army, them i got distracted by other projects, but with the Storm of Magic coming I though it was a great time to revisit the Army that got me hooked on Warhammer

So I have had a look through my old stuff and picked up the Battalion, and I have the following

15 Witch elves with full command
5 Cold One Knights
29 Corsairs with full command
40ish warriors (none built so either spears or xbow)
Reaper Bolt Thrower
and a few characters

so what would be a good list to make with this?
Im thinking of all the warriors having xbows and shields, maybe 2 units of 20 and adding some more Witch Elves and Cold Ones
Oh and 3 more Reapers!

What advise would you give an army like this? next purchases? or have i grabbed something horrid that needs to be cut?

Thanks Guys

Malarith
Lord damian valar
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord damian valar »

Welcome to the boards!

That being said on to helping you out. Could you perhaps give some more info of the type of style you like to play. Dark Elves is an army that can excell in every aspect of the game, so do you want to focus on magic, shooting, combat, fast forward army, max infantry army, it is all possible. Giving us a glance as to what you like helps us in giving advice.

I like that you like Reapers. Generally people think they suck this edition, but I find they still have their use in a Dark Elf army.

Also, buy a Hydra. They are truly awsome and since you plan on playing Storm of Magic, having big beasts is allways good!

D...
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Only get one more Reaper. Four is too much.

And get that War Hydra. Amazing unit. :)

Bye
Thanee
Malarith
Slave on the Altar

Post by Malarith »

I have been a fan of the Reaper from WAAAAAAAAAY back, could never think of not having some.
4 is a little over kill so i dont mind just having 2.
War Hydra will be coming in, just not sure if it will be our one or the SoM Hydra.

As for the type of Army i like, i guess it is biased towards magic and shooting with infantry holding the line for monsters/chariots to smash into the flanks, basic DE stuff really :)

After some thinking i am going for the following "base" to my list, just because it looks cool
2 units of 20 crossbows with shields
1 unit of 29 corsairs
1 unit of 25 witch elves
2 reapers
3 mages (1 dark, 1 metal \m/, 1 shadow)
1 master with BSB (every army should have one)

And im thinking of adding in some of the following
1 unit of 10 Cold One Knights
2 Cold one Chariots
1 Hydra
1 unit of 25 executioners

so what do you think of a very broad outline? any huge holes that need filling?
Aveleys
Cold One Knight

Post by Aveleys »

Just posting my earlier reply in his other thread here so the discussion stays in one place:
Welcome back to the DRUCHII ! It looks like you have a solid starting point for your army. I like the idea of going repeater crossbow heavy, since they are fantastic in the addition, plus units of 20 are really versatile between shooting and combat is need be.

For next purchases I think you are on the ball about getting more cold ones and witch elves. For witches, 30 is a good dependable number and for cold ones 10 is great so you can potentially break ranks. The reaper bolt throwers are not so good compared to other warmachines these days, so points are better spent elsewhere, but if you really want 4 of them, go for it, with the toughness lore of shadow debuff, even they can make a mess of things. Otherwise a cauldron of blood would really rock in this list, especially as a BSB. Oh and so would a hydra, but thats kinda obvious lol. Anyway, good luck with your army, hopefully I can give more sound advice when you draw up a full list.
Cheers,
-Ave
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Malarith wrote:3 mages (1 dark, 1 metal \m/, 1 shadow)

You will probably find, that more than two mages gives heavily diminishing returns, because there simply ain't enough Power Dice for all of them. ;)

A Level 4, a Level 2, and a BSB is a very popular character setup.

1 master with BSB (every army should have one)

Indeed. I'm very fond of the Death Hag Cauldron of Blood BSB these days.

so what do you think of a very broad outline?

Sure, why not.

any huge holes that need filling?

The following come to mind:

- Cauldron of Blood (with Witch Elves and Executioners, pretty much a must-have)
- Harpies !! (2x 5-6 of them will always find something to do)
- Shades (basically some small harrassing units, i.e. Harpies/Shades, are very useful)
- Black Guard (not really in addition, considering what you already got listed up there, but they are an amazing unit now)

Bye
Thanee