3600 Dragon list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Stannis
Slave on the Altar

3600 Dragon list

Post by Stannis »

Hello all,

I am a long time lurker/first time poster. I've been taking advice from this great site for a while and thought you guys could help me out with this list.

I'll be fielding a 3600pt army, against 1800pts of O&G and 1800pts of Lizardmen this weekend. I've had to stretch my models to get to this points total, which will hopefully explain the amount of points spent on Lords and Heroes! However, it does give me my first ever chance to break out the dragon...

If you wise people have any c&cs about the army in general, or specific units/tactics for O&Gs of Lizzies, that will be massively appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!!

Dreadlord, Black Dragon, Black Dragon Egg, Crimson Death, Armour of Eternal Servitude, sea-dragon cloak, shield 559

Dreadlord, Dark Pegasus, heavy armour, shield, sea-dragon cloak, Crown of Command, Pendant of Khaeleth, Dragonhelm, Soulrender 300

Master, Cold One, Battle Standard Bearer, heavy armour, shield, sea
dragon cloak, Dawnstone, lance 164

Sorceress, level 2 upgrade, Sacrificial Dagger 160

Sorceress, level 2 upgrade, dispell scroll 160

40 Warriors, shields, full command, 5x8 295

30 Corsairs, full command, Sea Serpent Standard, 6x5 350

16 Repeater Crossbowmen, shields, full command, 10x2 196

16 Repeater Crossbowmen, shields, full command, 10x2 196

5 Harpies, 5x1 55

5 Dark Riders, musician, repeater crossbows, 5x1 117

9 Cold One Knights, full command, Ironcurse Icon, 5x2 288

20 Blackguard, full command, 7x3 295

5 Shades, additional hand weapon, 5x1 85

1 Cold One Chariot 100

1 War Hydra 175

1 Reaper Bolt Thrower 100

Total 3595
Aveleys
Cold One Knight

Post by Aveleys »

Well sounds like you have a cool game up ahead, be sure to let us know how it goes. Your list is definatly solid but there are a few changes that I would suggest making. Instead of taking soulrender on the dreadlord on peg, give him the sword of might instead, that way he has a 2+ save against everything, so that he can survive all the S4 attacks that saurus warriors will deal.

Drop the lone bolt thrower, those points are much better spent on these upgrades. Give the cold one knight the standard of hag graef and the champ the whip of agony so they remain strong in following rounds of combat with some S5 attacks and constent re rolls. Then use the remaining points to give the black guard the banner of murder for armor piercing, allowing them to be much more flexible and give the dragon lord the dragonbane gem so he gets a 2+ ward against flaming, that way you do not have to worry about losing his regen.
Cheers,
-Ave
Laddyn
Trainee Warrior

Post by Laddyn »

I wouldnt be surprised if the lizzardman player will be playing a slann for sure.

In that case he will most likely know a full magic lore (life seems to be the most picked one) and he will have the ability to add +d6 to any spell he casts. Which makes an average roll of 7 (3+4) for the winds of magic a nightmare for you to dispell spells if he gets to use them alone. I am not sure if the slann can make it point wise but also be prepared that he might have the ability that gets you to ignore any 6's you roll while casting a spell with one of your sorceresses. (damn those lame toads)

Skinks, most people find them a nightmare, so far i have had no real trouble dealing with them by using our own shooting at them. (Getting rid of poison shots will ensure your dragon gets to live to tell the day)

Templeguard and saurus warriors are nothing our black guard or cold one knights cant handle.

About your army, i think aveleys pretty much summed up the changes that would improve your army even further.

Regards,
Laddyn
Stannis
Slave on the Altar

Post by Stannis »

Thanks for the quick responses!

@Aveleys: I'll post a quick batrep when the smoke clears to let you know ;) I like the Sword of Might idea on the peg dread, but if I can find the points would the WoA work as well? Regarding the Banner of HG, won't I be striking first anyway against 90% of what O&G and Lizzies will be throwing against me? Seems like it's a lot of points for just that...

@Laddyn: Thanks for the anti-Lizzie tacs! You seem to think that the average Lizardmen army is magic-heavy - do you think 2 level 2s are enough? I've already accepted that I'll be using them more for defense, but am I going to get completely overwhelmed.

Again, thanks for these responses - much quicker and more insightful than some other sites!
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

Do you have the CoB at all? Always found those useful in virtually any size game and it should be able to help you out. Maybe drop the lone Bolt Thrower and the Cold One BSB to field a CoB BSB. Also the Banner of HG will give you the additional re-rolls to hit against virtually anything there due to ASF and higher initiative. If you can find the points for it as well drop the RoH in there. It might not be great but it could potentially help against the Slaan if he takes one.

What lores are you taking for you Sorceresses btw? I've always found Lore of Death great against Lizardmen. If you manage to get Purple Sun off against his battle line then that's a lot of dead frogs. Pit of Shades in Lore of Shadow is just as useful. Basically anything that forces initiative tests seeing as that's a weakness for Lizards and Orcs alike.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Laddyn
Trainee Warrior

Post by Laddyn »

@Laddyn: Thanks for the anti-Lizzie tacs! You seem to think that the average Lizardmen army is magic-heavy - do you think 2 level 2s are enough? I've already accepted that I'll be using them more for defense, but am I going to get completely overwhelmed.

If your opponents have to share the power dice then you wont be overwhelmed as much. But do keep in mind that even with 2 or 3 power dice for the Slann he could potentially cast 3 spells, although 2 would be the average.
If your mainly going for magic defense and still have the points for it then you could opt to change the sacrafficial dagger for the seal of ghrond for another extra dispel dice. Or if you have 20 points spare you could go for a seal of ghrond & tome of furion sorceress or seal of ghrond on one and tome of furion on the dispel scroll sorc.
This way if you somehow manage to roll a double 6 for channeling dispel dice you could potentionally end up with 9 dispel dice!
Having multiple sorceresses is also good for the offence as a Slann can only nominate one wizard that gets to ignore any 6's rolled while casting a spell (Keep in mind that this can result in failing your casting) in which case you always have the second sorceress to cast with.

Overall with 2 sorceresses you should be able to survive most magic faces. The higher they roll for the winds of magic the harder you will get it so choice wisely on what spells to let through!

Hope this helps,
Laddyn
Aveleys
Cold One Knight

Post by Aveleys »

Stannis wrote:@Aveleys: I'll post a quick batrep when the smoke clears to let you know ;) I like the Sword of Might idea on the peg dread, but if I can find the points would the WoA work as well? Regarding the Banner of HG, won't I be striking first anyway against 90% of what O&G and Lizzies will be throwing against me? Seems like it's a lot of points for just that...

The whip of agony would not work because it would make your lord have more then his maximum amout of magic items. The banner of HG gives ASF which allows you to re roll to hit in every round of combat, not just the first with hatred. This means that the coldone knights are a lot better since they do not just hit with re rolls and high strengh and then lose everything and fight with no bonuses next round since the oposing unit is probably steadfast.
Cheers,
-Ave