Blood in the Badlands: Week 1

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Goruss
Trainee Warrior

Blood in the Badlands: Week 1

Post by Goruss »

Hello Druchii!

This is the first, of what I intend to be a weekly installment, of my battles in the Blood of the Badlands campaign at my local GW. Because almost 30 people signed up for the campaign, the staffers used at least three sets of of campaign tiles and reduced the starting number of tiles to five instead of following the book.

To help you visualize:

I was fortunate to be one of the first to place my empire and was able to get a good position on the southern shore of the black gulf. In addition to the city, fortress, and mine that I was able to place at will, my empire already had a mine present in it. Immediately surrounding my empire are three Vampire Counts players (one is my ally) and one Wood Elf player.

Campaign Turn 1:

Because there are so many players I will only go over the events that affected me.

Move the Fortress

Fozzrik's Flying Fastness started in the middle of the board and moved all the way up to the top right corner after it was given two free moves from the random events table.

Random Events

On the Random Events table I rolled a treasure map and got a relic and was able to place a third mine on my only free space in my territory. This was only temporary as one of the later rolls allowed a different player to take my mine and tile for themselves.

Move Armies

Because one of my tiles was taken away from my in the random events phase, I was able to move my armies first.

Army #1: Stayed where it was initially placed in the capital

Army #2: Moved into the mine tile that was taken from me in the random events phase.

Army #3: Sent into my Vampire neighbour's mine tile.

In retaliation to my incursion into his territory, the Vampire sent two of his armies into my territory. Both of these tiles hold my remaining mines.

Declare War

Since the criteria for declaring war are strictly controlled, I was left with only one choice for as where I could declare war. The choice was easy for me because of the two occupied tiles in my territory one was adjacent to my city and fortress giving me a half chance for my fortification save, and the other only bordered my fortress.

Roll for Mines

This phase was a disappointment for me. For my two mines I rolled two d6s and got a 1 and a 2. One of my mines was exhausted and the other allowed me to increase the points for my next battle by 100.

Fight Battles

My first battle is scheduled Monday and I hope to have a battle report (with pictures) up on Tuesday for you all.

With the new Vampire Counts book coming out this Saturday, I was willing to allow my opponent to use the old book if he wanted, but he seemed pretty confidant with the new book. I was able to look through the new Vampire book and I don't think that it will be that big of a problem for my list, but I would like to get your thoughts about my list and the new book. We were able to agree to a points limit of 2000 points and this combined with the rolls for the mines allowed me an additional 100 points for a total of 2100pts

The units or characters with names are part of my Heroes of Legend or Regiments of Renown and cannot be changed.

Narada Darkheart
Supreme Sorceress - Lvl4 Dark Magic, Sac Dagger, PoK = 320pts

Cauldon of Blood - BSB = 225pts

Sorceress - lvl2 Shadow, Tome of Furion = 150pts

Narada's Martyrs
50 Warriors - Shields and Full Command - 365pts

20 RXB- Shields, - 220pts

30 Corsairs - Hand Bows, Full Command w/ SSS = 350pts

18 Black Guard - Full Command w/ Razor Standard = 294pts

War Hydra = 175

Total = 2099

The idea is to force him to come to me while taking massive amounts of damage from my magic and, to a lesser extent shooting. Any input would be appreciated.

The battle report will hopefully be posted on Tuesday, and the conclusion of this weeks turn with be up next week.
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Certainly looks entertaining, and I wish you best of luck in the campaign!

For your list; if you intend for the warrior block to take the bulk of the enemy charges, you may be better off using AHW on your corsairs for their countercharges. Or perhaps look to add in more firepower to really force your opponent to come to you; fire sorceress and/or more crossbows.
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

Looks like great fun,

I like the list though you may be a little low-strength. Especially if you take Dark Magic. I would consider trading the BG for another Hydra or a Chariot, should free up some points to get some Harpies in the mix to get that utility. Three low strength infantry blocks are very vulnerable to monsters, so a Chariot or Hydra would even that out abit. Also you should really fit in the Banner of Murder on those warriors, best 25 points you ever spent.

I haven't actually tried the Handbows myself, but my initial reaction is also to take the EHWs. You need to make sure you're winning combats with the corsairs, otherwise they become very lacklustre.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

at the very least, change razor standard to banner of murder on the BG. that has to be the WORST 20 points ever spent :P
Goruss
Trainee Warrior

Post by Goruss »

@Silic and Dunya:

I have always found that using the handbows on the corsairs is equal to or even better than the AHWs. If it is played right the corsairs can get a round of shooting and a subsequent stand and shoot for the price of 10 attacks. Since vampire infantry, except Grave Guard, are relativity bad the frenzied corsairs are not going to suffer too much against rank and file.

Against Vampire Counts I think that dark magic is all I need to force them to come to me. Combined with shadow magic for its debuffs I only need to move slightly forward to get in range and then back up in later turns. Comparing magic lores, DM has 5 spells that deal damage in contrast to theirs which only has a magic missile and a vortex.

Looking at the list, aside from anything mindrazored, I have to agree that I am lacking in high strength attacks. As much as I would like to add another Hydra or a couple of chariots, I cannot as I don't have appropriate models. To rectify the lack of high strength attacks I will be replace the RXBs, at 220 points, with 8 naked Cok backed up with the CoB as needed, at 216 points.

at the very least, change razor standard to banner of murder on the BG. that has to be the WORST 20 points ever spent

That's my bad. I paid for the Banner of Murder but wrote down the razor standard. :oops:
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

Dark Magic is fantastic, but it does ask a few question of the Dark Elf army that is almost exclusively str 3 or 4.

I would be very hesistant to take away the crossbows. You'll be completely without shooting, which gives your opponent some tactical options against you. If you do decide to let the crossbows go I would find room for Shades instead.

I actually think that either the Corsairs or the Warriors are the unit I'd cut away in this instance, as they really suffer against tough opponents without shadow buffs, though the Warriors actually become pretty strong overall with the Banner of Murder. Witch Elves or Cold Ones would be more versatile choices I feel, and you're plenty covered in the Core department already.

Since you're facing so many VCs I would also strongly recommend working in both flaming and magical attacks somewhere in the list.
Goruss
Trainee Warrior

Post by Goruss »

Battle report and the Resolve Victories & Defeats phase of the campaign turn is posted here