2500 pt competitive tourney list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Drchia
Slave (off the Altar)

2500 pt competitive tourney list

Post by Drchia »

Long time lurker...first time poster :)

I play in an area that's fairly competitive with no comp and a very wide range of armies. At my store alone there are the following armies regularly playing games:

Warriors of Chaos
Daemons of Chaos x2
Tomb Kings
Ogre Kingdoms x2
Lizardmen
Vampire Counts
Orcs and Goblins x2
Skaven
Empire

I have an upcoming tournament in week or so and I'm trying to put together a list that has a good chance vs all comers. Like I mentioned, there's no comp so anything goes. The players at the store will regularly use cheesy combos like Ogre deathfists etc so I need to bring my A game. This is the list that I'm currently looking at. Any advice would be awesome!

Lords / Heroes

Dreadlord General on a Pegasus (299)
- Soulrender, Blood Armor, PoK, CoC, SDC, Shield

Lvl 4 Supreme Sorc - Lore of Shadow (315)
- Lifetaker, Sac Dagger

Lvl 2 Sorc - Lore of Death (185)
- Dispel Scroll, Guiding Eye

Death Hag - Cauldron of Blood (225)
- BSB

Core

23 Warriors (170)
- Shields, Champion, Musician
*Bunker for Sac Dagger Sorc

21 Corsairs (260)
- ahw, FC, SSS
*run 7x3

19 Crossbowmen (219)
*Lvl 2 Sorc here, run 10x2

5 Harpies (55)

5 Harpies (55)

Special

20 Black Guard (306)
- Musician, Banner of Murder
*run 5x4

21 Witch Elves (235)
- Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame
*run 7x3

Rare

Hydra (175)

Thanks for any help :D
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

1st of all, I see it is your 1st post so welcome to Druchii.net.

Secondly, I wish I had that many people to play against! When I started playing I had around 10 other people to play and now I am one of 3 remaining people in my club :( sad days....

And thirdly, I quite like your list (probably because it is quite similar to the one I am using at the moment). Have you considered putting the Banner of Murder onto the Witch Elves? The Black Guard are already handing out -1 to armour saves with their str4 and the armour piercing on the Witch Elves will help make some of their wounds stink.

With the High Sorceress's unit, if you were to give them full command you could run them in a 3 wide, 7 or 8 deep formation and this will mean that the High Sorceress will safely hide away in the middle of the 2nd rank away from combat. You could probably drop a couple from the unit to pay for the Standard Bearer.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Drchia
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Drchia »

That's a great suggestion about the warrior bunker...I never thought of doing that.

It's funny you mention the banner switch because I originally had it that way.

Using the current config, I found that having the BG handing out -2 meant that I could focus them on heavily armored units while letting the WE deal with high Toughness / low armor units. Plus, once a mindrazor is resolved on the WE it doesn't matter too much. ;)

My usual strategy involves keeping the WE kind of hidden until they can wreak the most havoc as they are the epitome of glass canons. Having the BG always out on the front lines means the Murder banner gets more use.

I've been thinking of running a second unit of xbowmen instead of the corsairs as I feel that I have a decent amount of power already and honestly, unless you can get a mindrazor on the corsairs they kind of stink. Most of the time, the WE or BG (or both) will still be alive and they're both just as good if not better targets for the spell.

Finally, I've been toying with the idea of running a chariot by knocking the WE down to 14 and dropping their banner. I haven't used it before so I have no idea whether is worth it.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

It is quite handy having her hide in there, still able to use spells and draws line of sight using the guy in front of her.

If you think that having a horde killer unit and a heavier armour killer unit then that is what I would go for, depends on what you think you will be up against. Black Guard with flaming attacks assaulting a building do nothing but damage though from my experience, although I don't see any reason why Witch Elves with Flaming attacks wouldn't rip the enemy in a building apart either.

You could even go for 2 smaller units of 10 crossbowmen. Gives you an extra little option for deployment, leaves you with some shooting if one of the units gets in combat or destroyed and means you can choose to split or concentrate your fire.

I havnt used a CoC since last book so I cant comment on that one too much sorry.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
A.andersson
Corsair

Post by A.andersson »

Looks damn solid! Definately drop the corsairs you have enough targets for mindrazor anyways... Corsairs just give up pints imo. :) take warriors or corsairs.

Have you considered spreding out your witches into two units? One 14-13 the other 8. The ones who go 14 should have flame. the other just a musician.
The unit of 8 will be a mindrazor / support/ congaline stubborn block. A flexible msu choice. Try it and see if it work. :)

Coc work fairly nice in most lists imo. Can be real winner with doom and darkness or deep spear fornations. Try it out too!

I think that black guard should have banner of murder, as you say the two elite units compliment each other better that way.
Drchia
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Drchia »

This is the other list that I'm trying as well. It mostly just tweaks the core and special units a bit...the heroes stay the same.

Lords / Heroes

Dreadlord General on a Pegasus (299)
- Soulrender, Blood Armor, PoK, CoC, SDC, Shield

Lvl 4 Supreme Sorc - Lore of Shadow (315)
- Lifetaker, Sac Dagger

Lvl 2 Sorc - Lore of Death (185)
- Dispel Scroll, Guiding Eye

Death Hag - Cauldron of Blood (225)
- BSB

Core

23 Warriors (176)
- Shields, FC
*Bunker for Sac Dagger Sorc, run 3x8 with Sorc in 2nd row (thanks devils reject for the advice on this formation!)

19 Crossbowmen (219)
*Lvl 2 Sorc here, run 10x2

20 Crossbowmen (230)
*run 10x2

5 Harpies (55)

5 Harpies (55)

Special

20 Black Guard (306)
- Musician, Banner of Murder
*run 5x4

14 Witch Elves (160)
- Banner of Eternal Flame
*run 7x2

Cold One Chariot (100)

Rare

Hydra (175)

2500 points on the nose. I'd like to have a musician with the WE but the numbers are really tight. The core is at exactly 625 and the other units don't really have an wiggle room. I think I like this list a little better than my first one.