2400pt ETC list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Meteor
Executioner

2400pt ETC list

Post by Meteor »

Hello hello all, its been a very long time since I've delved back into fantasy tabletop side. And what better way to get back into than a hearty tournament with challenging restrictions to jump start my brain again?

Firstly, Lords are not allowed PoK, (don't mind at all, never had used it in serious lists) amongst other restrictions, the major one that has impounded my typical lists is a restriction of only 35 RxBs in total in the army. Normally I'll have a few units of DRs and Shades on top of 30 RxBs.

But hey, a challenge is a challenge. They've toned magic down by lots, it is a closed list competition, and basically killed PoD spell for DE. So I've forgone major use of magic, focusing on magical defense instead.

Anyway, here is the list.

DL on DP w/ CoHG, ToP, PoS, HA, Sh, Lance & RxB
Lv3 SS w/ Scroll (Dark Magic)

Master BSB on CO w/ Hydra Banner, HA, Sh, SDC & GW
CoB

5 Harpies
5 DR w/ RxBs and muso
5 DR w/ RxBs and muso
32 Corsairs w/ RHB, FC & AP Banner

5 Shades w/ AHW
24 Executioners w/ FC & Flame Banner
10 CoKs w/ FC & ASF

I use to use a S7 Dreadlord, his job was to kill T6 monsters, but these days, with the new releases, T6 isn't the highest toughness on monsters anymore. T7 and T8 with like 8 wounds is. So I needed a new method to deal with these new threats if I encounter them. So now, my Dreadlord uses a Potion of Strength to boost his strength to 9 when charging in with a lance. Him alone won't be enough, I'll be relying on CoB to give him a +1 A buff, and sometimes I might end up sticking him with the CoK unit for the Hydra Banner buff too. That'll give him 6 S9 attacks on the charge, the rest of the CoK unit should be able to deal out the final two or three wounds on those new monsters. I gave the Dreadlord a Cloak of Hag Graef since he is on a DP, an easy sniping target for warmachines. The CoHG will allow him to have an armour save first before moving onto the 4+ ward from the Talisman. Essentially giving him two chances to avoid multi wounding warmachines and other nasty missiles.

It's a meh army list, just putting it up here to share with you guys really. Obviously criticisms are welcome in any shape and form, as long as it's friendly-ish, but I have submitted the list in already ^^

p.s. Oh and because it is a closed list competition, I was veerrrrry tempted to take a RoH into the game. But alas, I didn't :(

EDIT: Left out Shades unit :roll:
Last edited by Meteor on Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
A.andersson
Corsair

Post by A.andersson »

looks like a really cool list, should get some entertaining games!
i do however think that it can be improved in some ways.
you have spent extremely many points buffing the coldone charge. i feel that when you rely so much on a unit that cannot take a charge reliably you get difficulties advancing against the enemy and claim the points this unit need to score.
luckily you have a stubborn executioner unit to do just that. but in my opinion 24 is a tad small (minimum should be 30).

another problem is if you get speed bumped/redirected and then picked apart piece by piece, with such an combat oriented list you can not hang back and may be forced into situations where you dont want to be.

because of this i would remove the corsairs and change them for crossbows and spears.

good luck!
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Well just an update on the performance of this list after my two day six game tournament, it came 10th out of 31 contestants. It was very difficult against other competitive armies out there because this was a very small and elite army, was always out deployed and struggled to dominate skirmish battles to control the battlefield.

But despite that, I threw tactical deployment out the window and simply shoved my three units forward and made sure I got the charges in. Basically, my knights will kill any unit it charges in, and the Corsairs and Executioners can also take care of themselves in a one on one battle with the Peggylordress support charging into wherever she's needed.

Empire - Won 15/5 (Cloak of Hag Graef tanked cannonballs and S4 AP guns, ohhhh yea!)

Skaven - Lost 0/20 (Warp Lightning cannon wiped 7 knights in one go, can never beat Skaven...)

DoC Khorne - Won 14/6 (Juggers took 12" scouting Shades deployment and Knights wiped unit after it wiped my Shades. Also, Cold One bit off the last wound from the BT and killed it.)

VC - Lost 0/20 (damn 1wd remaining ghoul lord saved 5/6 wounds and raped my entire 11strong knight unit by itself)

Ogres - Won 20/0 (took the 12" shade scout bait, again)

Dwarf - Draw 10/10 (I hate anvils...)

All in all, not bad for a fairly soft list in a no comped but restricted tournament. The only cheesy thing in my list is the CoK bus.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Hi mate,

What do you mean with., *enemy* took the 12 inch scout bait.
How do you employ this?
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Scouts can deploy anywhere on the board as long as they're 12" away from all enemy units. So I deployed them 12" away from an enemy unit I wish to pull out of place for my Knights to charge into in my first turn.

So my DoC opponent took the bait and charged his Juggernaughts in and wiped out the Shades. They restrained from overrun, but they were now 12" away from my Knights, so in they went and wiped out the entire unit, reformed and ready to flank his Bloodletter line whilst my Harpies and Dark Riders moved forward to cover my Knights from potential counter charges.

Did the same thing against the Ogre player, Shades scouted 12" away, his Lv4 Butcher and General unit of Bulls took the bait and smashed them, Knights went in, smashed everything but the general and a remaining Bull. They fled but now had to rally on double 1's because I left a Bull behind. Harpies and DRs pushed forward to cover the now overextended Knights whilst the rest of my army caught up. Harpies later ran down that fleeing unit just in case they did rally on double 1's.

That's what I mean by baiting with scouting Shades.

Most of the time, opponents just think you were trying to get first turn to move them further in, or simply fail to see what'll happen if they charged in.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Ahh., that do sounds familiar., didn't know it was called that way.
Im my gaming area, they'r too wise for a trap like that. They would charge the shades with something like a single chariot or so. So it would't be that viable for me.

Thanks for explaining