New to Fantasy. First ever DE list @ 2000

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rayj
Slave on the Altar

New to Fantasy. First ever DE list @ 2000

Post by Rayj »

I've been reading through a lot of the threads here to figure out what I want to do. I knew this was the army for me, due to the good magic and shooting and decent mobility. I've been playing 40k for almost 5 years, but am just now looking into Fantasy. Here is what I've come up with for 2000 points. My regular opponents are likely to be High Elves, Bretonians, Dwarves, and Warriors of Chaos.

Lord:

340 High Sorceress
- Level 4
- Guiding Eye
- Sacrificial Dagger
- Lifetaker
- Lore of Shadow

Hero

214 Noble
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Lance
- Heavy Armor
- Shield
- Sea Dragon Cloak
- Cold One
- Hydra Banner

Core:

350 Repeater Crossbowmen x30
- Musician
- Standard Bearer
- Guardmaster
- Shields

139 Dark Riders x6
- RxB
- Musician

139 Dark Riders x6
- RxB
- Musician

139 Dark Riders x6
- RxB
- Musician

Special:

329 Cold One Knights x10
- Musician
- Standard Bearer
- Banner of Hag Graef

Rare:

175 War Hydra

175 War Hydra

Total: 2000

I look forward to reading your comments and suggestions!
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Looks pretty nasty...

I would definitely drop one unit of Dark Riders for 2 units of Harpies, though.

And you want a champion in that COK unit. If anything, he can be useful to accept/issue challenges.

Bye
Thanee
Squanto315
Trainee Warrior

Post by Squanto315 »

Welcome, I like the mobility you have with the dark riders and COK. Is your Supreme Sorceress going into the unit of RXB with the sacrificial dagger?
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

8th edition W/D/L
legion of the Bloody Snowflake 4/0/3
Rayj
Slave on the Altar

Post by Rayj »

Yes, the Sorceress is going into the large block. Between Withering and Guiding Eye, I figure they should be able to put out some good punishment.

I am looking into the Harpy thing. I understand how useful they are for flying over things, but I was hoping to get those same warmachine charges dealt with by the Dark Riders. They just seem really cool as a multi-purpose unit.

I will definitely get the champion for the CoK though. Need to protect the BSB.

Thanks for the feedback so far!
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

Hi RayJ

Welcome to fantasy.

The list looks very hard vs HEs, WoC and Bret.
Depending on the DW players build, you could really struggle vs him.
Flaming cannons to take out your Hydras early on and str4 AP shooting to give your Knights trouble.
A lucky Pit of shades could change all that ... But..

Coming from 40k, liking mobility, shooting and magic.
I would propose shades for you.
They play similar to your usual shooty units in 40k, and you will probably play them very well, easing your transition to WHFB.

Have you made any thoughts on how to play the army above? How will you deploy? Which unit suports which?
How do you make sure you get the charges you want? What do you do if you fail a charge and your Knights are left in the open?

Hydras can be really effective if you opponent is not prepared.
When they are prepared, they can be killed relativly easy. But will of course soak up the damage, leaving you other units intact.

A list with focus on shades could be like this: (I know its rather different than what you proposed, its just to give you ideas):

Supreme Sorceress, General, lvl4, Lifetaker, Scroll, Lore of Shadows - 315 Pts.
Death Hag, Cauldron of Blood, BSB - 225 Pts.
Master, Scourge, HA, Shield, SDC, Dark Pegasus, Pendant of Khaeleth, Dragonhelm - 191 Pts.

19 Dark Elf Warriors, M, S, Standard of Discipline - 138 Pts.
40 Dark Elf Warriors, M, S, C, Gleaming Pennant - 260 Pts.
10 Crossbowmen, M, C - 110 Pts.
5 Harpies - 55 Pts.

6 Shades - 96 Pts.
6 Shades - 96 Pts.
6 Shades - 96 Pts.
9 CO Knights - 243 Pts.

War Hydra - 175 Pts.

Total: 2000

I have switched the Hydra Banner BSB for a CoB.
Its one of the best choices in our book. It gives you so many choices and possibilities. You can give +1A to your Knights on their charge, and a 5+ ward vs shooting until then, making them much more durable.
You can also bless the 40 warrior block with 5+ ward to take the charge from almost anything. Or park them infront of a bret bus with characters and give your warriors Killing Blow.
The possibilities are endless. You might as well learn the power of the Cauldron from the start.

I have included a master on Pegasus with Pendant of Khaeleth. This is a very very solid choice in any matchup. Vs Dwarfs they will pull their hair out in frustration because they cant kill him. Meanwhile he will kill their warmachines.
Generally he can be used to tie up an enemy strong point. He is very mobile and an excellent choice.

I have also included a "bunker" of 19 spearmen for your lv4 SS. It has +1 ld banner to give you ld10 in the center of your army. Deployed next to your CoB BSB. You will have ld10 reroll for entire army.

You will soon find that taking out enemy redirecters can be the difference between a win and a loss. And with you shooting spread out on multiple units you will be able to take them out.
You should hold on to your harpy unit until either your Knights get a charge off on the enemy, then use your harpy unit to protect their flank (via redirecting). Or if you knights are left in the open. Then cover them with the harpy unit (redirecing the opponents countercharge)

The 3 shade units can also be used as emergency redirecters.
Rayj
Slave on the Altar

Post by Rayj »

I was definitely looking at shades a little bit. I like their statline and their dual purpose, but I need to read up on them a little more. They seemed even more fragile than the Dark Riders to me.

I'm considering moving to 2 blocks of 20 crossbowmen instead of the one super unit.
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

A Large block of RXBs looks very good on paper. But in actual play they fall short. They are too big and cumbersome. Most of the time, you need to move them because only half of them can hit, or see the enemy.

2x20 is a much better idea than 1x30.

I would still suggest 1x20 + 3x6 shades though.

In actual play. The shades can deliver the shooting where you want it, when you want it.
Thats not possible with RXBs. They have their uses though if you castle up and play very defensively.

Shades are extremely mobile, so only get charged if you want them to. They are also skirmishers so the enemy takes a -1 to hit them unlike DRs.
Shades (and DRs) are vulnerable to magic missiles though.