2400 Double Executioner Horde

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

The warchief
Cold One Knight

2400 Double Executioner Horde

Post by The warchief »

I've been kicking out a few list ideas for fun whilst work is slow. I'm happy with the current list I run but want a more combat orientated second list to mix things up every now and again. Generally we use SCGT comp restrictions as a standard at our gaming club so, with that as a consideration, I would welcome comment on the following:

Supreme Sorceress, Level 4 Metal, Tome of Furion (275)
Hag BSB, Standard of Hag Grief (150)
Hag, Cauldron of Blood (200)

39 Spears, Standard, Musician, Shields, Standard of Discipline (297)
30 Corsairs, Standard, Musician, Sea Serpent Standard (340)
5 Harpies (55)
5 Harpies (55)

29 Executioners, Full Command, Banner of Swiftness (393)
30 Executioners, Standard, Musician (378)
5 Shades (80)

1 Hydra (175)

Total - 2398

Lord 11.5%
Hero 14.6%
Core 26.5%
Special 35.5%
Rare 7.3%

Hordes a plenty! Basic premise is that it is a Rush List - get across the board fast and into combat quick.

Core of the army is the 2 x Executioners and the Cauldron to make them stubborn and give 5+ Ward blessing every turn on the unit with the BSB. When in combat if I don't think I need the ward I can switch to +1 attack.

I did consider giving the BSB her own ward in case I lose the CoB or want to switch the blessing. Also considered giving her Touch of Death and Black Lotus to get KB and re-roll 1's to wounds so she could accept challenges (5 ASF I8 attacks with Poison and KB re-roll. Might even be enough to take on a Vamp Lord?)

Harpies are a screen for the BSB Execs to give them hard cover protection from shooting Turn 1. Can also be used for the double flee tactic to pull a unit out of position or fly over the top and sit behind target unit to increase their flee distance.

Metal Sorceress with 5 spells should get Glittering Robes almost every game. The boosted version of the spell gives +2 Scaly Skin save to all units within 12", therefore both Executioner units could have 3+ AS and one will also have a 5+ Ward. As a bonus the Spears could get a 3+ AS as well. Bubble version is 16+ to cast so need to throw a lot of dice at it every turn. If not enough prioritise dice at smaller 9+ cast version on BSB unit. If enough dice then some of the other low cast Metal Lore is nice to tease out dispel dice first (Searing Doom if heavily armoured, Plague of Rust, Blades of Aiban)

39 spears are a very big bunker that will set up behind the 2 Executioner hordes and stay within 12" so the Sorceress can cast bubble.

Corsairs set up on a flank can buzz saw through chaff and turn in to support core of the army. Alternatively it can go straight at any T3 low armour units. (I also considered giving them handbows but might need to play test that)

Hydra either flanks with the Corsairs to add heavy hitting or goes up the middle as a big shooting magnet to divert fire away from the Executioners

Limitations:

- No Dispel Scroll - not enough magic defence? Susceptible to Death magic snipe?
- Death Hag fragile in combat (however if she can get the unit to have 1 round of ASF combat that should be enough to seriously hurt anything it faces)
- Sorceress only has 1 unit to sit in and that unit has no champion (had to shave points to get shields...) - alternative idea was to have 2 units of 20 with no shields
@the_warchief
Cheltenham Warchiefs
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

I like it!
But i think I'd swap they warriors for xbows, if they're just a bunker for your SS they might aswell dish out some pain.
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
The warchief
Cold One Knight

Post by The warchief »

I had thought of that but the problem then becomes that to maximise your firing you need to be on the front line with line of sight. Also because of the width of the middle exec block your glittering robe bubble could be stretched too far - the furthest exec block would be a minimum of 10" away. Ideally I want the bunker deployed directly behind and shielded by the 2 exec blocks to protect the sorceress and make the bubble tighter. Its also a fairly hard second line of defence in case anything does burn through the Execs or makes them flee.
@the_warchief
Cheltenham Warchiefs
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Pretty interesting list. Can you link to the comp restrictions you are operating under?
Truly These are the End Times ...
The warchief
Cold One Knight

Post by The warchief »

@the_warchief
Cheltenham Warchiefs
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

I pretty much always give a Death Hag the Manbane plus Rune of Khaine combo.

While it's not very innovative, it does work. :)

Bye
Thanee
A.andersson
Corsair

Post by A.andersson »

I would make the bunker a lot smaller perhaps 20, shouldn't need to be in combat any way. For the extra points i would consider darkriders and an extra shade. This list needs more support imo.

Even with the sac dagger comped i still think that it is the most efficent arcane item. But of course you may have gotten sick of using it! :D

The absense of a scroll is of course a bit problematic, play test it and be ready to just swap the other arcane item if you just get mauled by some nasty spells.

Are you preparing the list for tournaments or at home play?
The warchief
Cold One Knight

Post by The warchief »

A bit of both really - I have a fairly standard tournament list which I am relatively happy with but am always looking to create something different... Also my current list can struggle against high toughness or high armour save armies and units. There has been a recent local resurgence of Warriors of Chaos and a few Ogre bandwagon jumpers. You can't always guarantee getting Mindrazor off so hence looking to get some higher strength attacks into the list which meant a complete re-write!

The reason for Tome of Furion was to ensure I get Glittering Robes (I think the chances of getting a particular spell with a level 4 is 90% increasing to 98% with ToF). I might play test a bit without ToF and use the Sac Dagger instead.

Also I think I might reduce the numbers in the Spear Bunker and use the points for a Level 1 scroll caddy. Question is what Lore do I take to support? My initial thought is Dark Magic - Chillwind should help against Gunline armies.
@the_warchief
Cheltenham Warchiefs
TheGrayMist
Trainee Warrior

Post by TheGrayMist »

I like the theme of the list, very nice.

I played one similar in a tournament a while back and the BSB with ASF banner is always the target. Making them fight in initiative order (ASF and ASL cancel each other out) is so powerful. Any rank and file will usually put their attacks on her as well as the heroes so you need to have those armour saves up constantly to get full value from her imo.

The other thing I found was that nobody (smart) went near a big block of executioners and most were happy to clear the chaff and block the main units for a marginal win. They shot and used magic to do what damage they could but I suppose it's the same with any deathstar really.

I'm a bit of believer that elves shouldn't be striking last (they're too expensive) so maybe I've put too much thought into keeping her alive. If you keep in mind that they may try to get enough cheap units to land attacks on her (or use death like you mentioned) you should be right.

I dont always take a dispell scroll but for a tight formation you might like to consider it. Those purple sun's can be nasty up close. You could take fire on your scroll caddy with fireball, it'd give you a shooting phase ;)

I also agree with Thanee about the combo, never leave home without it!
Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of the Old World...