2500 fast cav list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Torpored
Slave on the Altar

2500 fast cav list

Post by Torpored »

Looking for suggestions on how to improve. Got about 20 games with various versions. This is the latest.

Lords
Supreme Sorceress
Tome of Furion; Lifetaker; Pendant of Khaeleth; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Death; Dark Pegasus.

Heroes
Sorceress
Dispel Scroll; The Terrifying Mask of EEE!; Level 2 Wizard; Lore of Metal; Dark Pegasus.

Master
Battle Standard Bearer; Charmed Shield; Warrior Bane; Black Dragon Egg; Dragonbane Gem; Dark Pegasus; heavy armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; repeater crossbow.

Core
6 Dark Riders
Musician; Standard Bearer; repeater crossbow.

6 Dark Riders

6 Dark Riders

6 Dark Riders

6 Dark Riders

Special
6 Shades
great weapon.

6 Shades
great weapon.

Rare
War Hydra

War Hydra

Other
Dark Elf Assassin
Manbane; Rending Stars; Cloak of Twilight; additional hand weapon.

Dark Elf Assassin
Manbane; Rending Stars; additional hand weapon.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Mehe, pure evil. You might want to try the following for some time:

Supreme Sorceress,
Whip of Agony, Black Amulet, Lvl 4, Dark Pegasus, Lore of Dark Magic

Sorceress, some equipement, Lvl 2, Dark Pegasus, Lore of Dark Magic

Roll first for the small sorceress to make sure your Supreme Sorceress gets Soul Stealer. Steal souls, get 6 wounds, attack the enemy's nasty unit and kill it with the rebound of your amulet.
And besides the amulet you still have 2 WS4 S5 AP attacks and 2 WS3 S4 attacks. Not too shabby for a sorceress... You could also go with the Tome on the SS and no magic weapon for her, in this case you can keep your sorceress as it is now, but I don't know how effective the Mask of EEE will be then...

And may I ask why you have 6 Dark Riders per unit? For me, 5 Dark Riders has always worked out pretty good.. You could add two units of Witch Elves (5 WE) with the points gained. Might help you to clear up cheap infantery, something with which your list will struggle I guess.
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Samusin
Executioner
Location: see that shadow behind you?? thats where I'm hidden...

Post by Samusin »

5, 7 or 10 DR... 6 is a bit strange to me xD
8th edition Dark Elves w/d/l
2/4/3

still getting started, so don't mind that loses, they where sacrificed for the greater good xD
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Can't you bring up to 6 models in a warmachine fight?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Torpored
Slave on the Altar

Post by Torpored »

Hey guys thanks for the replies

6 guys for 3x2. seems to work well and leaves a small foot print. i could run 5 in that footprint but it would leave a gap.

havent tried the dark magic. the death magic is the heavy hitter in the army, killing characters being a good source of points. dont have much problems with redirectors as i can shoot them or just go around.
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

great weapons are a liabuility on shades as you are a T3 no armour elf. If you get charged by enemy chaff you risk getting killed before you get to strike back.

not sure that you can have rending stars twice as they may well be covered by the same unique rules as magic items.
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

I love the theme !!!!

The level 2 Mage is vulnerable to being sniped by War machines so maybe some better defense on her either the Opal Amulet or Talisman of Preservation?

Also take off the Terrifying Mask of EEE if you want Terror there is aspect of the Dreadknight in the Lore of Death.

Switching the shades to XHW will save a few points to pay for the Amulet.
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
10 : 1 : 4 7th Ed Codex
Torpored
Slave on the Altar

Post by Torpored »

I dont disagree about the GW. just had the extra points. the mask is situtational, but hot when it works. i know she's saveless. i hide her if i have to. dont need to save points for amulat as the mask would make the space. what do i do with the 12 points switching to XHW gives me? 6+ save isnt really worth it.

as to rending stars, i believe that only the cloak and 75 point sword are unque.
Lady kaerlith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lady kaerlith »

I love the list in general; I've always had a soft spot for cavalry-themed armies in WFB.

That said, do people stare daggers at you when you deploy two Hydras back to back?
Torpored
Slave on the Altar

Post by Torpored »

They do not. Only 49 models and no support to they hydras. Nothing else to chaffe so people feel they can deal with them. I mostly use them as a distraction to suck people in and away from the caster. Rarely do i just shove them forward. When i do its usually dance to the flank and flame then run away. That and i mostly play tournaments and people are probably a little more forgiving when they have crap as well.
Torpored
Slave on the Altar

Post by Torpored »

Also, I'm going to drop the GW for XHW and add hand of khain to the smaller assassin.

Thoughts?
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Ehakir wrote:Supreme Sorceress,

Roll first for the small sorceress to make sure your Supreme Sorceress gets Soul Stealer. Steal souls, get 6 wounds, attack the enemy's nasty unit and kill it with the rebound of your amulet.
And besides the amulet you still have 2 WS4 S5 AP attacks and 2 WS3 S4 attacks.

That's a cunning plan if I ever saw one. Might have to give the suicide sorceress of doom a spin ;)
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

Tyrannus Deathbringer wrote:
Ehakir wrote:Supreme Sorceress,

And besides the amulet you still have 2 WS4 S5 AP attacks and 2 WS3 S4 attacks.

That's a cunning plan if I ever saw one. Might have to give the suicide sorceress of doom a spin ;)

Also add the potion of Foolhardiness for ItP and an extra attack on the charge, the Dark Pegasus is also Strength 5 on the charge plus a stomp.
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
10 : 1 : 4 7th Ed Codex
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

LordDrittz wrote:Also add the potion of Foolhardiness for ItP and an extra attack on the charge, the Dark Pegasus is also Strength 5 on the charge plus a stomp.

Awesome :twisted:

Why not put her on a Dragon for extra fun?
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Torpored
Slave on the Altar

Post by Torpored »

if you put her on a dragon than they can avoid the ward save.
Cycloptic squirrel
Corsair

Post by Cycloptic squirrel »

Solid overall. I'd drop Warrior Bane for Biting Blade (same cost for us). I've always had a bit of fun putting the Whip on the baby sorceress; most chaff will charge her thinking they can get an easy kill, not fully realizing that she has 3 wounds at T4, two mount attacks at S4, and on top of that the whip gives you two at S5!
Torpored
Slave on the Altar

Post by Torpored »

im fairly positive that mounted prevents the extra hand weapon bonus attack. pg 91 of the rule book.
Cycloptic squirrel
Corsair

That's true, but beastmaster scourge was FAQed to simply give you an extra attack; thus you still get an extra attack when mounted. Similarly, you can use a shield while using a scourge or Whip with a master.
Torpored
Slave on the Altar

Post by Torpored »

were in the faq is that?
Cycloptic squirrel
Corsair

Dark Elf FAQ
Second page, first column.
Torpored
Slave on the Altar

Post by Torpored »