2500 dragon help! what list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

adzaxeuk
Slave on the Altar

2500 dragon help! what list

Post by adzaxeuk »

Got a 2500 point tournament comeing up will be 1st time useing dark elves and I want to run a dragon
I have got it down to 2 lists I'm just struggling to work out what is the better option

All comments about what list and item combos or anything greatly welcome

Thanks In advance

Lords (569pts)

Dreadlord (569pts)
Black Dragon
Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield
Armour of Eternal Servitude
Giant Blade
Dragonbane Gem

Heroes (564pts)

Master (190pts)
Dark Pegasus
Heavy Armor
Lance
Shield
Cloak of Hag Graef
Dawnstone

Master (214pts)
Battle Standard Bearer
Cold One
Heavy Armor
Lance
Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield
Hydra Banner

Sorceress (160pts)
Wizard Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Magic Lore Lore of Shadow/metal

Core (625pts)

11x Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen (pts)
Musician

10x Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen (pts)

37x Dark Elf Warrior Unit (293pts)
Musician
Shields
Standard Bearer
Banner of Murder

5x Dark Riders Unit (117pts)
Musician
Repeater Crossbows

Special (567pts)

10x Cold One Knights (329pts)
Standard
Musician
Banner of Hag Graef

7x Dark Elf Shades (119pts)
Additional hand weapon

Additional hand weapon

Rare (pts)

War Hydra (pts)

Or

Lords (569pts)

Dreadlord
Black Dragon
Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield
Giant Blade
Dragonbane Gem

Heroes (589pts)

Master (190pts)
Dark Pegasus
Heavy Armor
Lance
Shield
Cloak of Hag Graef
Dawnstone

Master (214pts)
Battle Standard Bearer
Dark Pegasus
Heavy Armor
Lance
Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield
Dragonhelm
Pendant of Khaeleth

Sorceress (185pts)
Wizard Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Ruby Ring of Ruin
Magic Lore Lore of shadow/metal

Core (634pts)

12x Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen (pts)
Musician

36x Dark Elf Warrior Unit (292pts)
Lordling
Musician
Shields
Banner of Murder

5x Dark Riders Unit (117pts)
Musician
Repeater Crossbows

Special (357pts)

Additional hand weapon

Additional hand weapon

Additional hand weapon

Rare (pts)

War Hydra (pts)

War Hydra (pts)
Falstaff
Beastmaster

Re: 2500 dragon help! what list

Post by Falstaff »

Hi!

I like both lists, however I think the second list is better and easier to play. I do like the BSB with hydra banner in a CoK unit as it is VERY hard hitting. Nevertheless, the BSB is extremely squishy as he has no ward safe. This makes careful plannning mandatory. Sometimes you will have a hard time finding a battle where the BSB is actually safe. However, with all those other threats around, you could be able to keep him out of combat in multiway close combats. However, if he's gone, you'll give away lots of points.

My advice on the lists:

List 1:
- I think the setup on the Dragonlord is kind of strange. You can get S6 with a Crimson Death at a cheaper cost. Take the talisman of preservation for the 4++, the helmet for the 2++ against flaming and +1 on AS, and the OTS for better Demon and Character slaying. That'll bring your lord a slightly higher points cost (can't name the actual numbers due to forum rules). However my suggestion leaves him with the same ward vs. flaming, the same Ward AND makes your opponent reroll successful wards. And that's huge, esp. because the dragon and any other model attacking adjacent models to the dragon benefit from this item as well!
Same thing counts for list 2!

- what's your plan for magic. You will have lots of S6 in the army so I'm not sure if you will need metal. Shadow's hexes and the pit show the most benefit imo to support your monsters if they get through. Same thing counts for list 2.

- Warriors: I know our razor banner is great, however your warriers shouldnt be fighting high AS anyways. I think they'd benefit from the Banner of discipline much more, since both BSB and DL will be out of range a lot.

- CoK: I know that lots of people like to take the ASF banner for the CoK. However, I never knew why. They strike at I6 which is pretty much always first and ideally, they're not seeing round 2 of cc. And you're rerolling to hit first round of cc anyways due to hatred. my idea: save those points and get something else. Maybe the iron curse icon for your champ since rock lobbas and doom divers might be looking that way. Or the banner of movement +1..

- cut 3-4 shades to eek in a unit of harpies for redirection and warmachine hunting. Just my style. I know shades are awesome shooters, but redirection can save you games, buy you time while you deal with one unit or make sure you get the charge instead of your opponent.

List 2:
- DL --> see list 1
- Sorc. What do you need the ruby ring for? I think you can save those points for something else if you don't have a special plan for the ring. Maybe even take the tome for +1 spell and get the rest of the points to be spent somewhere else.
- Warriors: see list 1
- absolutetly love your masters!
- absolutely LOVE double hydra + 2 peggys + Dragon.
- As in list 1, I'd cut 3-4 shades to buy 5 harpies.
adzaxeuk
Slave on the Altar

Post by adzaxeuk »

Thanks some great advice there I have to admit I do prefer list 2

I have taken in your advice what do we think of this

Only thing not sure on is magic lore for the lvl2?

Lords (564pts)

Dreadlord (564pts)
Black Dragon
Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield
Other Trickster's Shard
Ogre Blade
Dragonbane Gem

Heroes (564pts)

Master (190pts)
Dark Pegasus
Heavy Armor
Lance
Shield
Cloak of Hag Graef
Dawnstone

Master (214pts)
Battle Standard Bearer
Dark Pegasus
Heavy Armor
Lance
Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield
Dragonhelm
Pendant of Khaeleth

Sorceress (160pts)
Wizard Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Magic Lore Lore of shadow/metal

Core (686pts)

12x Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen (pts)
Musician

37x Dark Elf Warriors (289pts)
Shields
Lordling
Musician
Standard Bearer
Standard of Discipline

5x Dark Riders (117pts)
Musician
Repeater Crossbows

5x Harpies (pts)

Special (pts)

7x Dark Elf Shades (pts)

7x Dark Elf Shades (pts)

7x Dark Elf Shades (pts)

Rare (pts)

War Hydra (pts)

War Hydra (pts)

Total 2500
recklas
Slave on the Altar

Post by recklas »

I would suggest fire for the lore on the sorc unless you know there arent going to be any ethereal units in the tourney.
Cycloptic squirrel
Corsair

Post by Cycloptic squirrel »

Always great to see a dragon list! The lord setup is solid. I like the dual pegmasters as support, but am not sold on their kit - I'd give pendant guy a greatweapon for the reliable strength. I'd drop the cloak of heg graef altogether - if your opponent has heavy shooting he's likely prioritizing your dragon, both hydras, and your BSB all above this guy; I do like the versatility a second pegmaster brings, just the items need some rearrangement. Maybe a 4+ wards save, maybe stick the ring of hotek on him to mess with opponent's mages?
Find the points to get a musician into the smaller unit of crossbows, it's very worth it.
I'm happy to see at least one unit of harpies.
The shades are an interesting option - I'm not sure they support the core function of the dragon but puts a lot of psychological pressure on your opponent.
adzaxeuk
Slave on the Altar

Post by adzaxeuk »

Great advice people :)

Thinking of going metal for the lvl2 just for steam tank knight buss reasons just makes them that bit more easy to deal with lol

You make a good point with the hag cloak in the 2nd peg ring is a good option may also try whip?

Also yes the shades are more to add more problems Also help get cannons down
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

Don't make the mistake to break your battle line.
In this kind of list, each unit rely on each other to win the fight. Especially since your dragon lord does not have the crown of command (to hold).
Without this item, your dragon lord will be much less effective vs units with ranks if not supported by the spearmen.

To be honnest I'm bit surprised by your dragon lord equipement. You don't need such powerful sword. A 15pt shiny blade granting +1 in strength is more than enough and much less costly.

You have also to many shades. A single unit of 5-6 is enough. You can then save points to afford one or two RBT. Very important these days against heavily armoured Empire/WoC/Demons units.

I think the standard of discipline is not the best option when you have the dragon lord with ld of 10 in a 18' radius. The piercing standard is good. Or the banner of swiftness to follow hydra and dragon. You can declare charge safely up to 12" and your opponent might be surprised if charge is combined with hydras or even better, the dragon!
Our club's facebook page:
Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville
Look for French tourneys pics galleries!