The Heartless - Big update post - Games III-V

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Xizor
Chris Tomlin

The Heartless - Big update post - Games III-V

Post by Xizor »

Hey there,

Totally got the idea for this from seeing Ben Curry post a link to his new topic here on Twitter!

Like Ben, I am a long term Dark Elf player that has painted and played with several Druchii armies across the editions. Some of you may remember me as I used to post a fair bit back in 6th edition pre and post revision and was a big fan of the Cult of Slaanesh list from Storm of Chaos. You could take a walk down memory lane by checking out my old Battle Log for my Cult of Slaanesh; The Black Sun - http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=34565

You may also remember some of the battle reports and things I did with Dark Alliance and his Blade army.

I've taken a few breaks a long the way but have been firmly back into the hobby since late 7th edition. I painted up a brand new DE army, The Heartless (the name for most my non CoS armies. I have plenty of fluff for it that also interlinks it with my old CoS etc). I still have that army and have added to it over the last few years, playing with it at numerous Tournaments on the UK scene and doing reasonably well in terms of painting awards - not quite so hot on the gaming table anymore choosing to focus on my Manticore Lord and Executioner horde (haha funny how things change eh?). In the last couple of years I've only really used the army a couple of times instead focusing on Lizardmen as my primary army (they've always been a close second to the DE for me) and playing about with a variety of others. I had some misguided thoughts that I wasn't going to jump straight back into DE, instead sticking out with my Troglodong and co a while longer! (My new LM are my long term painting project, though I will be doing some more with the DE, as we'll find out). Obviously, the call of Khaine was too strong and well, here I am!!

I suppose I should also put in a quick shout out for my Podcast, also named The Black Sun, check it out - I appreciate it won't be everyone's cup of tea - but if you like WFB and silly humour//shenanigans you may get a kick out of it (http://www.theblacksun.co.uk or on iTunes - over 18's only really!).

So the plan here is to keep a record of all my games with The Heartless as I get to grips with the new book. Unlike Mr Curry, I am a far less competitive player and will be taking things because I like them and in many instances want to use models I have nice conversions or paint job for. That being said I don't want my list to be a complete disaster and do like to win; so feedback and ideas will be more than welcomed throughout. Initially I won't have the time for fluff, but would like to add some along the way. I have many characters from previous editions with names etc, so I'll bring some of that back as we progress. You'll see me prepare for tournaments (including a trip to Waaaghpacca in the USA come January!) as well as more friendly games. I will report on each game, which is something exciting for me as I haven't had a desire to do anything like this for a long while.

Am I allowed to post photos in here or will I need a new painting log as well? I do believe when I got back into the hobby in 7th I did start a painting thread some of you may have seen the army. Nice to add the odd picture in with my army lists.

My only new purchases so have been a Kharibdyss and of course the new book. I went ltd edition; Dreadlord 500 and something!! :(

I've also hacked apart my old mounted BSB and reconverted him on foot. Very very painful to cut up a nicely converted and painted model. But him and my Kharibdyss will be the two models I'll be working on initially before maybe looking at some Bleakswords.

Ok so that's my introduction post. I will be making another post today detailing my initial list from the new book and my first couple of games, followed by my thoughts moving forward.

Thanks for reading,
Chris

*edit* - Can't believe its over 10 years since I first posted on this forum! Crazy.
Last edited by Xizor on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: The Heartless - New Army Book, New Battle Log

Post by Setomidor »

Welcome back! You're not the only old Druchii.net:er coming back, just waiting for DA to show himself again!

Looking forward to following your progress both in terms of gaming and painting. This seems like the perfect threat to cover both of these aspects :)
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Setomidor wrote:Welcome back! You're not the only old Druchii.net:er coming back, just waiting for DA to show himself again!

Looking forward to following your progress both in terms of gaming and painting. This seems like the perfect threat to cover both of these aspects :)

Many thanks! It's been probably 18 months since I last spoke with Gary (DA), I believe he moved to Spain!

Okey dokey, time to check out the list I opted to run with for my first game with the new book. Now please bear in mind I'm under no illusion, this list isn't good. In fact its outright poor; It has no width, no chaff and is just laid out wrong, but I digress...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Heartless - 2,400 points // No comp

Supreme Sorceress - General, Level 4, Lore of Death. (220)
High Beastmaster - Cloak of Twilight, Manticore, Iron Hard Skin. (370)

Master - Battle Standard Bearer, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone. (155)
Sorceress - Level 2, Lore of Metal, Dispel Scroll. (140)

25 Black Ark Corsairs - Additional Hand Weapons, Full Command, Banner of Discipline. (320)
15 Darkshards - Musician. (190)
5 Dark Riders - Musician. (90)

30 Har Ganeth Executioners - Full Command, Razor Standard. (435)
War Hydra - Fiery Breath. (180)
Reaper Bolt Thrower (70)
Reaper Bolt Thrower (70)

Kharibdyss (160)

Total - 2,400 points

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So to some extent this was a list made of the models I'd last been using with the old book; with the addition of the new monster and the new cheaper Bolt Throwers. I could see its weaknesses, especially when laid out on the table. I do think Death is the best choice, I had intended to try out Dark but was still waiting for GW to deliver my book and cards at that point in the day. The Corsairs are an odd entity now, I'm unsure on their place in the list. Banner of Discipline wasn't the right choice.

Game I - VS Scott "The Boss" Lines - High Elves

Scott was rocking a fairly solid list as was to be expected;

Lvl4 Shadow w/ Book
Lvl4 High w/ Scroll
BSB w/ Reaver Bow
2x 15 Archers
3x 5 Reavers
28 White Lions w/ BotWD
Skycutter
3 RBTS
2x 5 Sisters (Pussydarts)
Frostheart

So as you can see, a lot of ballistic skill shooting. It became apparent even after the first turn that this was going to be very strong against me, with 11 Executioners falling to a particularly effective first turn which pretty much saw them now unable to advance into the High Elf lines. The Beastmaster moved up behind some impassable terrain in a good position to launch a charge onto a Bolt Thrower; I would be able to align to overrun into the next, followed by getting into the Archers. However, he proceeded to fail the charge on no less than 3 occasions; each time needing a 9 on Swiftstride. The problem is he kept butting the impassable (stopping an inch away) so wasn't even getting closer. By the time he got in it was too late. Took out the 2 Bolt Throwers but couldn't do anything else. In other news my Level 4 cascaded and went down the hole whilst trying to Purple Sun the Frostheart! The remaining Executioners did a nice job on the bird though and went through that as easily as expected. The Hydra fell to shooting seemingly too easily. The new regen mechanism seems cool. but it doesn't feel right, it almost happens at the wrong time. The Kharibdyss was solid and racked up some points whilst surviving the game. The Darkshards got into a building and were able to clean up some chaff...even though a complete brainfart on my part saw them taking the -1 penalty to multi shot, but without rolling the extra shots!! Skillz! The retreating Executioners got themselves 12" away form the White Lions for Scott's last turn. Rather than risking him getting the average charge, I used my BSB to block them up, choosing to give up his points instead. As it was Scott failed the roll he would've needed, so I actually gifted him 255pts instead. Oh well, still probably the right choice. My magic was ineffective all game and I don't feel like I really achieved an awful lot throughout! It ended up 715vps to me and 985pts to Scott. So whilst my list, luck and gameplay were poor I still could feel a little aggrieved to not even get a draw; which perhaps says something.

Result: Defeat for The Heartless

Whilst I'm not really one for wholesale changes game to game, especially when learning a new army (which, this is!) I did opt to make a couple of games for the next game.

I will try to get the list and another brief overview like the one above up a bit later tonight. Feel free to give your thoughts on the list, but we'll get to where I'm at shortly so may be best until we get to that point :)

Cheers,
Chris

Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

Welcome back, Xizor. I'm just returning with the new book, too (must be something in the blood :)).

Interesting list (we're sharing a few core sentiments, even if my list is pretty different to yours) and write-up. I take it that the Hydra will be missing from the next game?
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Lord Veshnakar
Highborn

Post by Lord Veshnakar »

Good to see you back friend! The nostalgia of the good old days here at Druchii.net is definitely running strong for me with the release of the new book! Surprisingly your list looks very similar to my mock up list that is themed from Karond Kar. I look forward to the progress!

Edit:
Also upon reflection of your battle report, I will have to do the testing myself, but I am thinking witch elves will end up replacing corsairs for me. I am REALLY missing the sea serpent standard but I will have to test it out and see what I come up with. I like the protection on the corsairs, but I feel like I don't come up against much BS shooting enough to justify the extra protection of the corsairs.
"Do unto others before they do unto you."
Benji
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Benji »

You are such a copy cat!!!!

You fancy a Army Of The 4th Dreadlord vs The Heartless grudge sometime? Sheffield slaughter is probable the next one we are both at???
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

WB mate, i have a rough idea i am playing around with and i think DA has givne up the hobby lately, and Martin is now Playing Flames.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Chingerspy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chingerspy »

Thanks for the battle report Chris! I joined up here at the weekend after lurking for a little while. I'm looking forward to more of these from you, can you steal Caz' models? :) I'm on a slow burn starting up the new DE army. The only similarities in my army are the two bolt throwers just because I have them already :) I love the look of the Dreadspears and keep picturing multiple units of them up front giving the army a real biblical look. Actually can't wait to continue cracking on with the first unit tonight! 15 Dark Shards seems to be a common choice too, may get another couple of boxes and put the other 5 in my spears as a 5th rank for now.
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

Welcome back, mate! Nice to see other old D.netters return to the shenanigans of the site. I returned to "active" status on the site with the new book and models. I'd been browsing occasionally in between, but don't think I had posted for quite a long time :)

Thanks for the battle rep, it shows the strengths and the weaknesses (unfortunately :P ) of a lot of the new units... Keep on playing and posting! :)

Also, gotta check out the shenanigans in your podcasts :D

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Jal
Warrior

Post by Jal »

Tomlin, I'll share the build I'm working on with you at Tribute - I can't wait for Downfall when I'll be running it. Something very different

....I'll have my icon back now Curry *cough*....
Amit Hindocha

9th AGOM VIII, Best DE
3rd SCGT 2012, Best DE
8th Tribute 2012
9th Downfall 2012
2nd Tides of Chaos 2013
3rd Battlefield Birmingham 2014, Best DE
2nd Brighton Warlords 2014, Best DE
5th Pompey Pillage 2014
3rd Bristol Stormlords 2014, Best DE
8th Tribute 2014
6th Sheffield Slaughter 2015
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Benji wrote:You are such a copy cat!!!!

You fancy a Army Of The 4th Dreadlord vs The Heartless grudge sometime? Sheffield slaughter is probable the next one we are both at???

Sounds good. Not sure if I'll be at the Slaughter; but for sure next one we are both at well do this. Hopefully our armies will have developed a bit more and we could do a good bit of coverage for the good folks here?

To everyone else, thanks for the replies so far. Just gotta get into the regular habit of reading and posting here again.

Nice to see some familiar faces be they from these forums, the Tournament scene etc.

The Corsairs for me really don't cut it unfortunately. They are a weird unit now. 2 attacks and a 4+ save isn't shabby, but it does neither one thing or the other. If you want to get an offensive block from your core points I believe investing in the Witch Elves is a better choice. I will be running the Corsairs for the time being as I have the models and the look cool; I'm not sure I like the idea of Witch Elves much better and think in the long term I will use a block of Bleakswords as a cheaper bunker and fill out my core with Dark Riders and Dark Shards.

Anyhow, lets move on to the next Battle Report...

Supreme Sorceress - General, Level 4, Lore of Dark. (220)
High Beastmaster - Cloak of Twilight, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Manticore, Iron Hard Skin. (380)

Master - Battle Standard Bearer, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone. (155)

25 Black Ark Corsairs - Additional Hand Weapons, Full Command, Banner of Discipline. (320)
15 Darkshards - Standard, Musician. (200)
5 Dark Riders - Musician. (90)

Reaper Bolt Thrower (70)
Reaper Bolt Thrower (70)
5 Shades (80)
5 Shades (80)

Kharibdyss (160)

Total - 2,400 points

This was played on the same day as the first game, straight after it infact. I didn't have time to really think over many changes. I knew I wanted to drop the Hydra to add in the Shades, providing some much needed manoeuvrability, firepower, misdirection and chaff. This also left me 20pts which I poorly spent on a banner for the Darkshards and a couple of extra items on the Beastmaster. These seemed good choices on paper initially, and then also seemed like tailoring (not something I'd do - pointless) as I was up against Daemons and they are good anti Skillcannon items. However, with the 3+ ward they are not really that worthwhile. I have had some thoughts recently (whilst adding common items to my QM app and finding some I'd forgotten) about adding the Obsidian Trinket for a cheap and cheeky 2+ ward vs magic. Not sure its worth it though. Also, my Book & Cards had turned up by this point (cheers GW!), so I was ready to give the new Dark Lore a try, though I knew Death would certainly be preferable...especially in this match up!!

Game II - VS Crispy Rick (Ricky Mee) - Daemons of Chaos

Rick was packing the DoC list he is taking to Tribute (a tournament this weekend)

Lvl 4 Great Unclean One (Death)
Lvl 2 Tzeentch Herald (Metal)
Nurgle Herald BSB
28 Plaguebearers
15 Horrors
4 Beasts of Nurgle
1 Beast of Nurgle
2x 5 Nurgle Furies
4 Cocknoses
Skillcannon

Pretty tough list there! Though the lack of any shooting (bar the damned Skillcannon) meant my troops could potentially get around unmolested. Early on went well enough for me, with Ricky downgrading his Ward Save's to 6+ in the magic phase, allowing an irresistible Doombolt (including the attribute) to make a real mess of the Cocknoses (Plague Drones, btw!). The Skillcannon was predictably annoying, one shotting the Kharibdyss; cheers mate! The Corsairs pushed straight forward at said cannon and after some cheeky moves with the Shades managed to charge in Turn 3. After 2 rounds of combat, 7 Corsairs were dead for no wounds back, luckily static combat resolution was enough to pop it. Ricky charged a solo Beast into my Manticore (poor positioning on my part); I hate those things...how 60pts can hold up 380pts so efficiently is beyond me!! After taking it down, I got a little reckless and charge the Manticore into the Horrors + TZ Herald. Got challenged out by the Champion (shocker!) and then counter charged by the GUO. Rubbish - another very poor play by myself. Luckily, the High Beastmaster managed to take down the Herald before the GUO killed the Manticore then thunderstomped the character. Ouch. Whilst this was happening, Shades were harassing; popping off Furies and thinning out the infantry, supporting by the Bolt Throwers (one of which was killed by 2 Furies; unable to best Ricky's superb ability to roll ward saves!!). In the centre, my Executioners with level 4 and BSB were keeping his army at bay, hitting them with magic missiles and Black Horror. I threw that into the GUO twice, hoping to get lucky...though this should've showed me it probably wasn't go very well. He went for a triple charge on the Execs; single Cocknose (on one wound) into flank with Lvl 4 on, Beasts (only 2 left) and Plaguebearers into the front. Luckily for me, only the Cocknose got in, though it still took me 2 rounds to kill it! Next turn of his, the Beasts failed again, but the Plaguebearers got in. Ricky managed his magic phase very poorly, splitting up his dice thus allowing me to potentially have 4 dice to stop the inevitable Soulblight. However, I made my worst mistake of the day and for some reason unknown to myself, I also split the dice trying to stop Caress on my Lvl 2. Failed, lost concentration, Soulblight goes off on Executioners. Boom. That's the game. It really didn't help that he Regen'd everything bar one wound!!! The swing of Soulblight was beyond massive and I lost everything. Not usually one to drop my head, but at that point I was so frustrated by myself for all the mistakes (most notably the last, game winning one) that I shook Ricky's hand and called it there. In a tournament I (well for one hopefully wouldn't make that mistake!) would play things out and definitely could have consevered 2-4 TP's in a 20-0 system.

Result: 0-20 Defeat for The Heartless

*Not withstanding Ricky's dice rolling!!

So as you can see, I played terribly! Frustrating as I actually think I should've had that game. I was in a strong position and the GUO undoubtedly* would've lost a couple of wounds to shooting before getting into the Executioners. I dunno. There's still something very not right with my list though; I think it revolves around the number of units I (don't) have. I have a couple of ideas for my next game...

Supreme Sorceress - General, Level 4, Lore of Death. (220)
High Beastmaster - Cloak of Twilight, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Manticore, Iron Hard Skin. (380)

20 Bleakswords - Full Command. (210)
5 Dark Riders (80)
5 Dark Riders (80)
10 Darkshards (120)
10 Darkshards (120)

Reaper Bolt Thrower (70)
Reaper Bolt Thrower (70)
5 Shades (80)
5 Shades (80)

Kharibdyss (160)

Total - 2,400 points

As you can see, this is just an evolution of the above lists. The magic items aren't right on the Manticore and the command options in core are flawed. So its more just a basic idea as opposed to a hardened plan at the moment. More units is much better IMO. The Swordsmen are there as an intended bunker so I don't have to push the Lvl 4 forward, but then that doesn't lend itself well to Death magic quite so much. This idea is a bit different...

Supreme Sorceress - General, Level 4, Lore of Death, Dark Pegasus, Cloak of Twilight, Obsidian Trinket. (335)

Master - Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Ogre Blade, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Manticore, Iron Hard Skin. (300)
Sorceress - Lore of Metal, Dispel Scroll. (105)

5 Dark Riders - Shields, Repeater Crossbows, Musician. (110)
5 Dark Riders - Shields, Repeater Crossbows, Musician. (110)
10 Darkshards - Musician. (130)
10 Darkshards - Musician. (130)
10 Darkshards (120)

30 Har Ganeth Executioners - Full Command. (390)
Reaper Bolt Thrower (70)
Reaper Bolt Thrower (70)
5 Shades (80)
5 Shades (80)

Kharibdyss (160)

Total - 2,345 points

So 55pts free there. Few easy options include the level 2 on the Sorceress, Razor Standard back on the Executioners. Or I could spend it reworking core...or something else?

Not sure if my earlier idea with Obisidian Trinket is really that worth it, so we could save 15 points there. Lose the Dragonbane Gem on the Manticore Master and we have a unit of Harpies.

Really looking for advice on both lists here...they aren't a million miles apart of course. I like the idea of getting back to my 7th and early 8th routes with the Peg Sorceress; she is defo viable again with the cloak. She fragile, but defo viable. Also saves wasting core points on bunkers or pseudo bunkers that are just point sinks.

Cheers,
Chris

*EDIT* - I have recently put out episode 47 of our podcast where the current 2 games are discussed, along with some general DE chit-chat (NOT a book review) - www.theblacksun.co.uk

Chingerspy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chingerspy »

I enjoyed the podcast last night while painting my Dreadspears. Good stuff, Crispy Rick is a great person to have on the Podcast, would be nice to have him on more if he can do it.

I'll read the bat rep you've posted here but got the jist of things from the audio report. Sorry I can't offer any advice, at least not yet and I'd only be teaching granny to suck eggs!

Tony
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

Thx for posting this Xizor, and welcome back.
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Chris i like the 2nd list but i think5 Warlocks are must due to the resililance and the ability for Soulblight to boost the shooting. Effectively getting behind them and skewing the damage rolls and mitigating the combat abilitys
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Rob; how do you best suggest getting the 125pts for the Warlocks on the second list? I listed how to get us to 75pts but I struggle to see a further 50 available. Dropping the Kharibdyss isn't an option.

Tony; cheers, to be fair the reports above are pretty similar to what I said on the show.

Scyloc; thanks bro! :)

Jal
Warrior

Post by Jal »

Chris, most UK tournies (as you well know!) have an 80 shot cap (not including war machines). Your 2nd list (by far better btw) has 100.

To make the points, I'd be tempted by the following:

Drop the musicianless Darkshards - 120 points that have to be spent in core.

Give 1 unit a banner and flaming banner: 100 points left.

Add 5 Dark riders with no musician (full gear) = 100.

You add more mobility and drop 10 shots.

I'd then drop 1 unit of shades for 80 (as you've made up for their ability to help dictate the battle by the 3rd unit of fast cav)

Gives you 135 points - 5 Warlocks, and the muso on the new Dark Riders if you want them
Amit Hindocha

9th AGOM VIII, Best DE
3rd SCGT 2012, Best DE
8th Tribute 2012
9th Downfall 2012
2nd Tides of Chaos 2013
3rd Battlefield Birmingham 2014, Best DE
2nd Brighton Warlords 2014, Best DE
5th Pompey Pillage 2014
3rd Bristol Stormlords 2014, Best DE
8th Tribute 2014
6th Sheffield Slaughter 2015
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Nice! Good work Amit. Flaming banner is a particularly nice touch there.

That's defo a good base for my new list. Cheers bro, see you in Cardiff tomorrow.

Chris

Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Great Zithens of Peckersnipe, Xizor's back! Will there be an update to your painting log?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Always nice to see more familiar people returning. Sucks to hear the BsB had to be dismantled - wasn't that the one on the cold one was it?
Liking the list, and reports; tough luck with the daemons. If you are looking to wedge the locks in, you could drop the trumpet-less rxb and run 7 locks.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Just a quick message to say I'm off on holiday to Thailand for two weeks now.

When I'm back ill update this blog. I've had my third game to report on and will let you know where I'm at in regards to a 2,500pt tournament I have coming up in December.

Also I need to get a new painting log going!

Have fun

Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

I haven't forgotten about this! I'm back now and have another couple of games to report on and a nice list I'm currently enjoying.
Ill get this updated over the next day or so.

Cheers!!

Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Ok then,

Time for a proper update - I'm way behind on all this! I've had a fantastic holiday - 2 weeks in Thailand, but still have a few games to tell you about. I have caught up on a fair few of the blogs here, just haven't had time to reply yet. I will do though, I'm enjoying them all - especially the ones that have caught on to my style of formatting lists etc ;)

In terms of list, I've actually stuck with the same one for all 3...actually, that's a slight lie; in the first game I'll report on today (Game III), I didn't have Banner of the Eternal Flame, but after chatting to my opponent I squeezed it in. I cant remember what the list looked like before that, so I'll just share my current build.

This, you'll notice, is 2,500 points - the reason for the increased points limit is that I am preparing for Downfall; an upcoming event held at Firestorm Games in Cardiff. It's taking place on the 14-15th December. This is the 5th year the event has been running, with me being in attendance at all previous events. For the first 3 years The Heartless picked up a Best Army award at this event (I didn't take them last year ;) ) and I've also placed 2nd & 4th ...however, the Tournament has grown and my playing ability (or care towards it!) has gone the other way, so I don't expect any such results this time around (the last two years I've done poorly as well..probably due to diminishing soft scores!!). Also in terms of painting, my army is now old, tired, and everyone has seen it 400 million times. The new stuff is gonna look nice, really nice actually - far better than the old stuff, but that may actually be detrimental over all. Anyway, that's besides the point. I'll talk more about painting and model later & elsewhere!! :P

So...what you guys care about first will be the comp pack I am building my list around. You can find that HERE.

Let's take a look at my list...

The Heartless - 2,500 points // Downfall

Supreme Sorceress - General, Level 4, Lore of Death, Dark Pegasus, Cloak of Twilight, Obsidian Trinket. (335)

Master - Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Manticore, Iron Hard Skin, Ogre Blade, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem. (300)

5 Dark Riders - Shields, Standard Bearer, Musician. (105)
5 Dark Riders - Shields, Musician. (95)
5 Dark Riders - Shields. (85)
13 Darkshards - Standard, Musician, Banner of the Eternal Flame. (186)
12 Darkshards - Musician. (154)

31 Har Ganeth Executioners - Full Command, Razor Standard. (402)
5 Shades (80)
5 Shades (80)
5 Shades (80)
Reaper Bolt Thrower (70)
Reaper Bolt Thrower (70)

Kharibdyss (160)

Total - 2,497 points
Shot Cap - 80//80

So as you can see, I've used elements of what I've used before, as well as taking ideas away from the conversations had here. I will get around to the Warlocks at some point. I'm really not keen on the new Dark Steeds so need to figure out a conversion and also I'm not sure where they fit just yet.

Just some commentary on the list as is; The Peg Sorceress is something I'm very pleased to be using again, as this girl was my go to choice in 7th and even in early 8th before I got obsessed with the Manticore! I do feel you need the Cloak on her, but am not totally convinced by the Trinket just yet - its nice though.

It's a shame to relegate the High Beastmaster to just a hero, but in reality, its a necessity. I'm actually pretty chuffed with my set up on him, but would be interested to know your thoughts.

The other two hero choices are gimme's for me, and I can write them on any list to start with. Happy there.

My Dark Rider set up is weird, I concede that. However it just works and my models are WYSIWYG enough for it not to be confusing in game. I am at the sweet spot of exactly 625 core, so whilst the odd deployment of gear on these may seem bizarre, its just the way I had to work it (I have a model with a banner and wanted the extra fortitude before someone tells me to give all 3 muso's!). I am loving these 3 units though, they (along with Shades) and what makes the army play the way I want it to. The 4+ save is ridiculous.

I'm a fan of the Darkshard units, shame I cant find 25pts for Shields. Not much to be said really!

The Executioners upset me. I've been using them for ages now, when they were far worse than they are now, but seem to be getting less joy out of them. I guess its because they are so hideously unsupported in this army. The Kharibdyss is really soft and often goes down before he can lend a hand. I'm beginning to wonder if I need this many? would 21 (3x7) serve a similar purpose and be less of a point sink? What could I spend the points on though? Aesthetically, my army is lacking my lovely Cold One Knights or Corsairs, so I feel maybe a small unit of them (probably Knights) could be nice? Dunno.

Shades and RBT's - A+ ...we all know this!

Time for a few reports then;

Game III - VS Matt Clarke - Lizardmen

Matt is typically a more friendly//fluff gamer who prefers mixed & balanced armies

Slann (Loremaster High)
Skink (Beasts)
Scar Veteran
30 Saurus
30 Temple Guard
2x Skirmisher Skinks
2x Chameleon Skinks
2x Salamander
Ancient Stegadon
Troglodon

This game took place before my holiday, so I may be slightly off with Matt's list, as well as the ensuing report! Matt certainly wasn't packing the quantity of chaff we all associate with a Lizardmen army, so I was easily able to out muscle him in that field early on, resulting in him being left with a couple of big blocks and the monsters pretty early on in the game. I tempted Matt with a long charge on my Kharibdyss from his Stegadon; this was so that the Executioners could get past into and into the Temple Guard without that thing tagging on the end of the combat and Thunderstomping me every turn with only a couple of attacks back at it. The Kharibdyss would've been a worthwhile price to pay for this. However, the Stegadon failed its charge. The Executioners got into the Temple Guard and made a horrible mess...though I was impressed with how much damage they did back to me. Without the worry of the D3 wound impact hits, the Kharibdyss was able to take down the Stegadon in a couple of rounds. By this time I then also had the Manticore ready (with the Kharibdyss) to go into the Temple Guard, but decided it really wasn't needed, so they went back round to surround the Saurus, who were being hammered by all my shooting. My magic didn't achieve a massive amount, as I had decided casting Purple Sun would've made for a pretty dull game. This tournament has decided to use its own take on "Unmodified Leadership", so taking out the Salamanders was a relatively easy task. A good game, but not a true test of how I'd cope vs a more standard tournament build...though realistically, I won't be playing at the top tables so that's fine. Also it was nice to get my first win with the new book!! :P

Result: 20-0 victory for The Heartless

(Matt smashed me in the second game when I rocked out my Nippon army!)

So whilst I couldn't really say I learnt anything from this game, it was nice to see first hand what the Executioners *could* do vs the right targets. It was also the first time that I could say I was truly happy with the list I was using. After all my games with Lizardmen over the last couple of years, this sortve list (lots of small chaff//shooty units) is definitely one I enjoy playing. Also nice to finish a game with the Kharibdyss and Manticore both alive...not sure how often I'll be able to say that!!

Game IV - VS Weird Porn // Rage Quit Matt Lee - Dark Elves

Matthew is a casual Tournament player who plays to win, but has a penchant for off the wall choices.

Supreme Sorceress w/ Dagger (Shadow)
BSB - my kit
Cauldron
Large Witch Elf Hordes
Darkshards
Dark Riders
Hydra
Kharibdyss
Black Guard
2 Bloodwrack Shrines

This game took place a day after my return home...so what conspired may be a result of jet lag // extended hangover // ladyboys!!

Matt deployed the Cauldron in the Witches, one Shrine in the Black Guard and one out on a flank. To be perfectly honest, I totally underestimated Matt's army are very much assumed back-to-back wins would be mine. Early on this looked like becoming reality, as I was able to remove his small amount of chaff, cripple the Kharibdyss, and whittle down both blocks. The Manticore had gone through the lone Bloodwrack Shrine without much of an issue. I got greedy early on with the Executioners though as I decided to charge a unit of Dark Riders into the Black Guard to clear a path for the Execs to get into the Hydra for some easy points. I could have aligned this so that their inevitable overrun would take them into the corner of the Black Guard to fight a second round. I probably should've done this (well I should never of declared either charge to start with!), but decided not to. This resulted in both the Hydra and Dark Riders dying as expected, allowing his Black Guard and Bloodwrack Shrine to charge the Executioners. Aligning it differently would've been worthwhile to mitigate the impact hits if nothing else. Regardless to the fact that Executioners are now the go to choice between the two, Black Guard are vastly supreme when pitted against one another. I broke, but got away (losing my BSB in the process); about 15 Executioners remained vs 8 Black Guard once I'd rallied. I then had 2 RBT's at short range & unimpeded to fire on the Black Guard before they could recharge me. I killed one. ONE!!! To follow that up, 13 Darkshards and 5 Shades failed to kill a single Black Guard, showing the fickle nature of ballistic skill shooting! This resulted in dead Executioners. Also at this point, Matts 2 wound Kharibdyss charged my full wound Kharibdyss and killed it. Great. In the middle of the table, the Cauldron was running rampant, getting 2 11" overruns in a row, allowing him to take down my firebase far too quickly and easily. The game sort've petered out from there, I was able to finish off the Black Guard and Shrine with shooting & magic. I also put 10 wounds on his remaining 8 Witches with my last volley from a remaining unit of Darkshards, I had hoped for slightly under average rolling of wards, but it wasn't to be, a couple of Witches survived. Magic did very little for either us overall.

Result: 7-13 defeat for The Heartless

This was a really fun game - just another one where the Executioners were never going to have much joy! My dice rolls where utterly appalling at times. Very frustrating. I liked the Bloodwrack Shrine in the Black Guard a lot. I can't help but wonder if Matt has actually stumbled across something pretty legit there! If he dropped the second Shrine and picked up a couple of units of Shades I think he'd have a very solid army - the double combat blocks is something I am sorely lacking. If it was me, I think perhaps I'd go Corsairs with the Cauldron (though maybe just because I have and like the models!). The Witches did seem fragile.

Game V - VS Scott "The Boss" Lines - High Elves

Scott is a gamey tournament player with a love of net lists and abusing cover rules!

Archmage (High)
Archmage (Shadow)
BSB - Reaver Bow
2x 15 Archers
3x 5 Reavers
2x 5 Swordmasters
30 White Lions - Banner of the World Dragon
2x RBTs
2x Eagle
Pussy Dart
Frostheart Phoenix

This comp pack disallows the inclusion of the Banner and the Book. Instead he had the extra bound Soul Quench.

This was played this morning...I had hoped for a nice first game of Storm of Magic (knowing Scott only has Ghorgons, whilst I could pack a brace of Chimerae and a Hydra!! ;) ) - but no, more tournament practice haha j/k! I'm a big fan of the list Scott was using, a slight variation on the recently emerged HE "netlist" - it looks a lot of fun to play. Once the armies were deployed it was a great sight to behold, loads of units each side, many of our choices almost mirrored actually. Very cool, can't wait till Scott's finished painting them! Anyway, the game started off incredibly well for me (even though I didn't roll my beloved Final Transmutation!!), my shooting & magic very effective early on allowing me to kill off all the Reavers, Eagles, most the Swordmasters and numerous other bits. I did make one mistake in deployment, which I commented on even as I was making it. This was putting the level 2 in the Darkshards who were clearly going to receive the brunt of Scott's shooting and magic early doors (due to location on the table). This meant I had to waste my scroll far too early before she died (which she did). I only put her there for the Enchanted Blades (which did work nicely...for a turn until they died!). She would've been better placed in the Executioners as then she would've been alive to scroll the Fiery Convocation that wiped them out!! Killed 19 in the first turn, forcing me to move into a building to escape the White Lions...however this would be rerolls if I couldn't dispel the Remains in Play during my turn; a winds of magic roll of 3 ensured that didn't happen and that they all died! A few other things swung against me that turn (Kharibdyss going down cheaply etc) and before I knew it I'd gone from very (VERY) comfortably ahead to running my characters away and hiding Dark Riders etc to play the game out. Managed to pick up some good stray points late on with the Manticore and Peg (magic and charging fleers off) but it was too little, too late.

Result: 5-15 defeat for The Heartless

Very very disappointing result. Another good game though. I couldn't put it all down to bad luck as there was some poor play involved, but on turns one and two I failed to cast spells on 3 dice when Scott had none left. These would've seen RBT's going down earlier, which would've helped massively. I do have to say that its hard to defend how good Dark Riders are vs Ellyrion Reavers - even with them charging me (and seemingly correct average dice rolls) I was still able to best them :oops: . When all was lost I did let Scott have a 4D6 Soul Quench at my lord just to see what would happy, again seemingly average rolls resulted in not a single wound on her (with the Trinket helping out slightly), she was also unharmed by bowfire, so nice to see some survivability on her.

So that's 1 win and 4 losses so far. Go me! In those 5 games, the Executioners have only survived twice and only got me points in one - that's just not good enough for the points invested in them. Im not even sure I've played them that badly (except vs Matt Lee). Is there mileage in me reducing the unit? I need to look at what I lose to get, say, a small unit of Knights. Like I say, aesthetically as much as anything else, though maybe when I've finished painting the new stuff (BSB, Kharibdyss, 5 Dark Riders, 13 Darkshards) perhaps I will feel differently.

Anyway, I've been writing nearly 2 hours now (could've half edited the next episode of the Podcast!!), so I'll leave it there I think.

Hope you enjoy my ramblings and I look forward to hearing back from some of you with any luck :)

Chris
x

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: The Heartless - Big update post - Games III-V

Post by Calisson »

Thanks for interesting reports!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Truthteller
Slave on the Altar

Post by Truthteller »

These reports are really useful to someone like me who is trying to get a feel for the new army. I used DE for a couple of years but have been using Warriors for the last 12 months.

My only observation on your Executioner dilemma is that I can't quite get the play-style you are aiming at. The Dark Riders, Darkshards, Shades and RBTs all favour a style that keeps out of combat, or at least limits combats. OTOH Executioners, the Kbeast, the flying Sorceress and your magic lores (which are both a bit short-ranged) favour aggressive combat.

I played (and lost) the final of my club's knockout competition last night to a Lizardman army. The competition had been running for a while so it was the old Lizzie book. What struck me was that his army was designed to keep me at arm's length and shoot me to pieces. So he had 3 quite weak combat units, 2 characters who were hard to kill so could hold units up, and 7 shooty and skirmishing units. The Slann took Life. The shooty units just avoided combat unless it was to spring a trap. The characters ploughed in to hold up units that threatened to get to the main blocks. When I did get a combat unit into a block he used Life to buff it. Until then the buffs were going to the heroes who were holding me up. So the army had real synergy.

So maybe you could swap out the Executioners for a couple of smaller units of Swords, Spears or Corsairs, and try Life on one of the Sorceresses?

Regards
TT
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

I actually do agree with you and think you're spot on. I've played with Lizardmen a lot myself over recent years and definitely enjoy that playstyle to a point. However with Dark Elves, I can't be fully swayed by play style. Dark Elves have been my main army since 6th and with my current army (in terms of models) I have certain favourites I always like to use. These mostly consist of the Manticore and Executioners which have been auto includes for me since modelling and painting the units. So whilst there are better choices in terms of power (Manticore) or in terms of play style//list build (Executioners), I struggle to not field them.

I'm considering going down to a smaller unit of Execs and bringing in some CoK.

This weekend I will be playing some 2,000pt games in prep for my trip to the US and Waaaghpaca in Jan '14. Reports inbound next week.

Enjoy,
Chris