Dragon Princess from the New Book!

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Khalessi Daithmaiden
Slave on the Altar

Dragon Princess from the New Book!

Post by Khalessi Daithmaiden »

Hello everyone!!!! This is my first time posting on this site! I've only been playing Warhammer for about a year or so, my boyfriend helped me get started with a Vampire Counts army. He has been playing High Elves for ages though, so I figured I should finally show him who's boss with the brand new army book! This is also the first time I've ever tried to do this on my own, so here I am! Please be nice....or else....(plays with Sacrificial Dagger)

Anyway on to my list!

Lords
Supreme Sorceress w/ Level 4 (Dark Magic), Tome of Furion, Black Amulet, Ironcurse Icon, & Black Dragon - 610pts.

Heroes
Sorceress w/ Level 1 (Heavens) & Dispel Scroll - 105pts.
Master w/ BSB, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cloak of Twilight, & Cold One - 171pts.
Death Hag w/ Cry of War, Fencer's Blades, & Potion of Speed - 130pts.

Core
14 Darkshards w/ Shields, Musician, Standard Bearer, & Banner of Eternal Flame - 212pts.
15 Black Ark Corsairs w/ AHW & Full Command - 195pts.
5 Dark Riders w/ Shields, Repeater Crossbows, & Musician - 110pts.
5 Dark Riders w/ Shields, Repeater Crossbows, & Musician - 110pts.

Special
5 Cold One Knights w/ Full Command & Razor Standard - 225pts.
21 Executioners w/ Full Command & Banner of Swiftness - 297pts.

Rare
Kharibdyss - 160pts.
Bloodwrack Shrine - 175pts.

Total Points: 2500

Ok, so, some ideas behind this to show that I'm not just picking all the pretty models! First, we play against Warriors, Orcs, Daemons, Tomb Kings, and of course I'll be smacking my boyfriend's ******* around! So, with these enemies in mind, the Darkshards were my first pick to deal with Regen gribblies. Dark Riders do what Dark Riders do, but the less obvious choice is the Corsairs. I see them as my toolkit core choice, able to pick up my either of my footslogging heroes in a pinch, harassing flanks, and being a general second wave to finish off anything that's left after my heavy hitters do their thing. The Knights and Executioners are the heavy lifters with my BSB in the Knights and the Hag in the Execs for support. I kitted the Hag to try and work with both the Kharibdyss and the Shrine, as well as add just a little bit of punch. I know the Potion isn't great, but I had a spare couple of points and figured it would help against both High Elf and Warriors. I really, really want to try out the Shrine! Is it going to be sub-par? Probably, but it's one of the two things I liked most about the new book, so I'm pretty keen to make it work! I think Heavens is a fantastic support Lore for any Elven race, and I've watched my boyfriend use it to great effect, so I'm sold!

Now, I know the elephant in the room is my Lord choice.....but she's so cool!!!! And, there's a method to my madness. With the Tome I can guarantee Soul Stealer, which i can hopefully use to glut her on wounds. The Black Amulet makes combat not so scary, and means I can use the Dragon for what it's supposed to do in later turns. Plus, it'll add another source of Terror to go with the Shrine!

So, that's my stuff! The two things that are really not leaving this list are the Shrine and my Dragon Princess! Other than that, I would appreciate any help and/or comments, even if it's just to tell me how silly my list is! Thanks!
Vampire1812
Executioner

Re: Dragon Princess from the New Book!

Post by Vampire1812 »

I have a problem with the level 4 on Dragon. Just something to think about when you put anything on a Dragon you want it to be productive. A SS on a dragon without using the dragon is giving away 300 points. Otherwise yeah pretty much you nailed it. I think its doable but your going to have to be very selective and wait till you can use the dragon. Or you can make her offensive with 0 defense. Just a lot of points in a Lord that will rely on hoping a spell goes off.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

That looks like a nice list.

Also, cool fluff name :)

Let us know how it plays 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Blackfrost
Shade

Post by Blackfrost »

Hello and welcome to D.net!

How about kitting the Supreme Sorc with Talisman of Preservation and a powerstone? If you ever wanted her to get into combat, you could add Crown of Command to keep her from fleeing.
I think the Tome works best on a hero caster as with a level 4 you have a much greater chance of getting the spells you want, especially since rolls of doubles or trebles let you pick what you desire.
Lore of Heavens is great for this army, you'll enjoy it.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Quick thoughts!
Supreme Sorceress w/ Level 4 (Dark Magic), Tome of Furion, Black Amulet, Ironcurse Icon, & Black Dragon - 610pts.
- ToF seems a waste on a Lvl4. A Lvl4 will nearly always pick up one spell at least, and anyway most spells are good.
- Ironcurse, that's only 6++. Good for infantry, I feel less use for dragon, but your experience might tell otherwise.

I kitted the Hag to try and work with both the Kharibdyss and the Shrine.
K-beast cannot be joined by a character.

I really, really want to try out the Shrine! Is it going to be sub-par?
Time will tell. Suggested readings:
Other than that, I would appreciate any help and/or comments
You obviously know how to make a good list.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

I think you should swap the Cloak and Amulet around. The CoT is perfect for a character that needs protection while zipping about the board, useful too for that 1st round of CC too, where as the Amulet is more useful to your fighty Master. Adjust their other equipment accordingly.

Happy hunting. :twisted:
Sulphunet
Dark Rider

Post by Sulphunet »

The thing about this list that seems to be a problem is the Sorceress on Dragon, it just doesn't happen often. They are two conflicting play styles put together just because they look cool, and because the High Elves have their Dragon Mages.

Everyone has given several good ideas already, so I won't bother with that.

My opinion is to not even bother with the Dragon, it's way too many points and the Sorceress can take a Dark Pegasus to fly around instead. Obviously a Pegasus is nowhere near as powerful as a Dragon, but you can take a whole other unit by switching to a Pegasus.

But that's just how I would play, I never use a Dragon below 3000Pts. If you want to use a Dragon, use the Dragon. You just have to be smart about it, play cunningly and deceptively.
Success is measured in blood. Either yours, or your enemy's.

MichaelMac
Trainee Warrior

Post by MichaelMac »

-Even though you said, don't touch my dragon princess....I would not have the Sorceress on the Black Dragon because he is a combat beast and expensive and she doesn't want to be in combat. Dark Pegusus is a much better choice. I would take talisman of preservation over the black amulet. Its cheaper and you don't want her fighting in challenges. If you must have her, make her hit even harder in CC and give her the Cloak of Twilight and the talisman of preservation. You're stuck between two worlds, a mobile caster or a CC threat. Optimize towards one.
-The Dark shards really aren't enough fire support. I would give the flaming to the corsairs and get that unit size up. It is way too easy to kill a unit of 15 guys. I would be closer to the 25 range. Instead for fire support take 2 bolt throwers. 2 bolt throwers to me is better than 10 Dark Shards shooting and its a bit cheaper
-Same with Execs, there are too few. I would play 28-35 of them because they die fast. Put the bsb into the execs and give him the ring of hotek so that people can't magic down the execs.
-Don't understand the death hag and her role. Cry of War isn't that useful and she is very easy to kill. Once she is done with all her strike first awesomeness against infantry, the remaining troops will easily slaughter her. Is she in the Corsairs?
Gerner
Noble

Post by Gerner »

Note on the dragon.
If you really like the idea of having a female character on a dragon, I support you!
But why not make her a dreadlord instead of a supreme sorceress. Nothing holds you back from having a female dreadlord and it gives you a monster in CC.

Also I don't think that a Supreme Sorceress on a Dragon is as bad as some say it is. It is not the most overpowering choice, but with the Black Amulet, Soul Stealer and maybe Potion of Toughness she can be a force to count on.
In my experience people choose to target the dragons as it doesn't have the ward save.
Just pick the right fights - and get in their early.
Khalessi Daithmaiden
Slave on the Altar

Oh my! I was only expecting one or two replies, you kind folks have given me quite a bit to discuss! Unfortunately, I only have a couple quick seconds (the new American Horror Story comes on soon!!!!!!!!!!! It must be watched while consuming homemade pumpkin cookies and hard ciiiddderrrrrr!!!!!! :burns: :mrgreen: )

I will be back later tonight however. I will respond to a couple general concepts and then try and get back to every one who posted! Thank you so far to every one who has taken the time to look over my list!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Obviously, excellent choice of thread name ;)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Khalessi Daithmaiden
Slave on the Altar

Ok, now that I have had my fill of gore and horror and pumpkin deliciousness, let's talk toy soldiers!

Don't Touch the Princess!

So every one has been fantastic with their concern about how I'm wasting my points with trying to use a magic user and a Dragon together at the same time. And while I appreciate it, it's happening. Sorry....but not sorry. Not to doubt the collective wisdom of the interweb, and not that I even really disagree with you all that much, but I like the concept a little too much. Plus, I've seen an incredibly effective High Elf list that ran an Archmage on a Moon Dragon using the Lore of Beasts to supplement it. It come in second place at one of our local tournaments, only losing in the end to a double Skullcannon Daemon list, and even then it was a lot closer than you might think. From what I've seen, as long as I can a.) use her with intelligence and pick my targets, and b.) design the rest of my list to still have threats enough to win games when she goes kablooie, I should be all right. Am I going to be able to take on the top lists out there with her? Probably not. But that doesn't mean that she can't be competitive all the same.

As for her items, those I am totally willing to play around with. A girl has to accessorize after all! Calisson, I put some thought into what you said, and I think you're most likely right about the Tome of Furion not really being necessary, and I'm also willing to drop the Icon, though that does make me a tad nervous about my poor naked Dragon! And while I like your suggestion Darkmark, unfortunately the Black Amulet is ten points too expensive for my Master to take! I like the Black Amulet for my girl over the Talisman of Preservation as it gives her a bit of offensive ability with the same defensive capabilities. And since she has suddenly lost several toys, I think the Other Trickster's Shard is a decent buy, as it helps her with the Amulet's abilities and makes her pet a little more dangerous. And with the other 15 points left over, I'll probably pick up the Channeling Staff to help with her magic a little.

So, let's talk about her role on the battle field. Ideally, she'll be sniping at things while hiding behind terrain until the right moment to get her into combat. That terrain could also include the Shrine or Kharibdyss as well. In true Dark Elf fashion, she's not afraid to sacrifice her minions as cannonball bait to protect herself! Also, wth the equipment I have on her now, I'm not exectly afraid to put her into the right combats. Her targets are mostly likely going to be my opponents core troops, as well as anything else squishy she can get her hands on. And she isn't exactly afraid of challenging enemy characters, especially if she can buff herself with some tasty Soul Stealer!

Throwing Away the Death Hag

So, us girls can be rather catty towards each other, and we tend to like to do bad things to our rivals. But I promise that the Hag isn't there just to waste points and amuse my princess with her demise! And I should probably apologize Calisson, I think I should have been a little clearer when I first typed this out. What I saw as her ultimate role was running around with the Executioners and being used with the special effects of the Shrine and Kharibdyss, not that I meant she would be joining them as a unit! I kinda envisioned a slightly Leadership Bomb undercurrent for the army, and saw her as a disposable leadership debuff to make sure I crack through at least one critical combat with the aid of any of my bigger monsters. She has just enough protection and oomph on her to provide some damage before she dies. I'd like to try her out, but I'm willing to believe she's not going to be as useful as I want her to be. She'll probably be one of the first things I change as my list evolves.

Missle Support

I'm kinda torn about MichaelMac's suggestion to take Bolt Throwers in favor of the Darkshards. I do really like them and had toyed around with including them when first writing my list, but I kinda felt they'd be a little too static with how mobile the rest of the army is. Also, I'm not sure where I'd find the points for them. My Core is right on the borderline for minimum allowance, so if I drop the Shards to beef up my corsairs (and really, what girl doesn't want more pirates in her life? ;) ), what would I drop for the bolt throwers?

Final Thoughts

One of the other thoughts that MichaelMac tossed out was to beef up my Executioners more. So I do like that thought, but again, where to find the points. I would also like to find a way to include some Warlocks in there, as I think they will be just a little too tasty to pass up. About the only spot I could think to find the points is to either a.) toss the Hag out of the window once and for all, or b.) lose my Knights and re-configure my Master just a tad.

I have to take a second and give Calisson a big thank you for linking those tactics threads, they were amazingly informative!
A big thank you to the rest of you for putting up with my eccentric choice for a Lord!...and for reading my rambling wall of text!

I sadly will be gone for a couple days do to work and school, but I have two games scheduled for this weekend, one against a very harcore and mobile Daemon army, the other against my boyfriend's High Elves. He'll be taking his Star Dragon Prince to give me an interesting mirror match! I will post what I can of the games afterwards and let everyone know how I do!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Nice to read such well though, well written posts!
Nice to see more girls coming around, too.

Have fun with your dragonmage, your experience will be highly interesting to read, as most gamers would just discard that option with no real deep thought.
I suspect she will fare well in melee. Especially if she starts with up to 10 wounds.
Be very cautious that a mere champion challenging her will soak all damage (including stomp) and she will lose to static combat resolution (no rank). So either charge units with no champion, or combo charge.