Dragon + 3 Manticores and other monsters at 2999

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Hads
Trainee Warrior

Dragon + 3 Manticores and other monsters at 2999

Post by Hads »

Hi everyone!
So, I made a promise to go to a 30+ player local 'friendly' tournament at 2999 with 4 (yeah, 4) manticores. The tournament has a Blood and Glory scenario, so I need 4 banners minimum, and I'm trying to get a decent list with that... this is what I'm thinking of right now:

General, Beast Master on Manticore - 400
Cloak of Twilight, Luckstone, enchanted shield and ogre blade

3x Nobles on Manticore - 729
full mundane+lance
One of them with the other trickster's shard

CORE
3x10 Xbows with banner (one of them with flaming attacks) - 400
4x5 Dark Riders with shield and one banner - 350

SPECIAL
2 Cold one Chariot - 230
2 Hidra - 320

RARE
2 KBeasts 320
2x5 Warlocks - 250 (6 dice doombolt, 6 dice soulblight... oooh so smart!!!)

TOTAL 2999

So... that's 8 monsters, a lot of drops and lots of S5 attacks. The idea is to deploy the first 11 drops like:

DR-------------------DR-WL-XB-CoC-XB-CoC-XB-WL-DR--------------------DR

And hopefully, my opponent will have almost everything deployed. Then I'll put all the monsters on one side, and run forward. The DR units on that flank would be used as a screening unit against HP shooting, and helping me get the charges, while Xbows will shoot at enemy redirectors, being protected by the chariots.

Another option is to put the BM with hydras and Kbeasts on one side (all monsters must be in the Ld bubble of the general - thanks matt ward), and the 3 nobles on the other side.

What do you think about it? would you change anything?
Last edited by Hads on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cut him. Cut him while I stand here and watch. I want to see the blood flow. Don't make me tell you twice.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: 4 Manticores and other monsters at 2999

Post by Thraundil »

Thats a pretty slick amount of thunderstomps! Will surely decimate most they get into close combat with, and you have nice target saturation.

Consider a minor ward on those masters if you got the points at all? Sure, they will mostly shoot at your general, but nevertheless. Awesome list, but you MUST protect those banners, they seem a little bit exposed.

No BSB?
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
kunimitsu
Corsair

Post by kunimitsu »

I really like the list, very original and I could see it creating a lot of fear from your opponent. They won't know what to target. Very interested in seeing a battle report or just how you go at the tournament.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Interesting, especially against mediocre infantry. My guess is that you will have some trouble with tough cavalry and MC (Empire, WoC) and armies which can strike at you before the manticores can and can heavily damage the manti's (DE's, HE's, Ogre characters).
Should be a very interesting list to play with, even though it will make for a nasty battle for your opponent...
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Gerner
Noble

Post by Gerner »

Why not give the charmed shield to one of the masters? :)
Hads
Trainee Warrior

Post by Hads »

Thanks for the feedback!

After thinking a little bit and getting my figures all ready, I realized I only have 2 painted manticores, meaning I have to paint 2 more (+ a chariot) in just 10 days... (I've got tons of dark elves miniatures, no need to go to tourneys with the unpainted ones)
HOWEVER, I do have a painted dragon, covered in dust in my shelf, so I thought I would't disappoint anyone if I replaced the BM with a dragon. I had to take one hydra out, though.

Lord on Dragon - 549
heavy armor, sea dragon cloak,
Cloak of Twilight, charmed shield and ogre blade

3x Nobles on Manticore - 739
full mundane+lance
One of them the BSB

CORE
3x10 Xbows with banner (one of them with flaming attacks) - 400
4x5 Dark Riders with shield and one banner - 350

SPECIAL
2 Cold one Chariot - 230
1 Hidra - 320

RARE
2 KBeasts 320
2x5 Warlocks - 250 (6 dice doombolt, 6 dice soulblight... oooh so smart!!!)

TOTAL 2998

I added a BSB as Thraundil suggested, but there is literally no points left to give the charmed shield to the BSB :(.
The idea is the same, now being the dragon the one which will take all the cannonballs, but also a much more serious danger to the enemy.

About this list, I see Cannons as the major problem, those can kill outright any of my manticores.
Mi idea for high I armies is to decimate them by shooting/spamming doombolt, and try to get a flank charge with something.
I can also do combined charges against MC, plus the Kbeast and its wonderful S7. I think that's the deal, do combined charges with the manticores so the enemy cannot kill more than one before he gets stomped or smashed or... otherwise get killed and get a beer.
Cut him. Cut him while I stand here and watch. I want to see the blood flow. Don't make me tell you twice.
kaloomte
Trainee Warrior

Re: Dragon + 3 Manticores and other monsters at 2999

Post by kaloomte »

Wow...that is...awesome. Talk about monster target saturation. Weak on magic, but...

(poster just got eaten by a manticore)
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I think you should have some sorceAARRRRGghhhh... (eaten by manticore as well)

Seriously though, I think the list looks like a lot of fun. The manticores and dragon will get a rough time against a cannon list of sorts, although against the right opponents, you'll have a blast (even though your opponent might not :p). Hopefully your warlocks will be enough, although as it seems like more of a fun tournament, the list looks great! :D

I would consider a lance and dawnstone instead of that ogre blade though. Or a different build on that dragon lord maybe.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

How did it go?
You have reached the Department of Circular Reasoning.

Please hold.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Yes, how did it go??!

Very interesting list. Especially for us Manticore fans out there. Who seem to be in the minority :P
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame