2500, heading to the MSU territories....

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Enkiel
Assassin

2500, heading to the MSU territories....

Post by Enkiel »

So i’m on my 8th list draft since my last game, trying to find a sweet spot between what seems to work for others, and what works for me.

My last tournament shown me that a 2 horde list is solid, but I’m scared that people will just feed me trash (since its pretty easy with frenzy witches), and clean the rest.

So I’m trying to stay a bit away from the deathstar, or the hordes, and move into the realm of the “run around, and pick your fight” instead of point and click.

Right now, my list is… I don’t know, there’s something wrong with it. Like Da Boyz, our big tournament will require a command in the unit to grab objective, which counts for roughly 50% of the VP.

SS lvl4 of Death, with Dispel Scroll and 4++
Master 1+ reroll BSB
3x5 Dark Rider with shield and musician
27 Witches with Razor Banner and full command
2x15 Executionner with full command
4 RBT
5 Shades with GW and musician
2x5 Warlocks with Champion
2x10 Sisters with Musician

So roughly, 6 footslogger units, 5 fast cav units, and 1 scout. WoC are abundant around here these days, so if everything goes well, I can expect to face 3 or 4 of them through the 6 games.

The good on my list ;
- Lots of mobility
- Good magic phase (3 channels, at least 2 DD, and death!)
- Good shooting vs monster (at least I hope. 4 RBT should be able to take down some monster, or some monstrous cavalry like mournfang)
- Good cc vs low armor

The bad ;
- Limited cc vs high armor (I think a full cavalry list would just beat the hell out of me, easily, since only my Exec are really high S).
- Character kinda left behind, as they need to stay with the footslogging units. On another hand, I see no solid unit to put my BSB or mage in, so its kind of hard to find another way.
- With so many units, I feel like its gonna be a true challenge to keep everyone out of reach. I always feel like the table is not big enough to really go around and reach behind enemy line..

Possible change;

Adding a dreadlord in a unit of Dark rider, maybe increasing their size to 8-9. This could allow me to mount my sorceress and feel safe about her unit getting charged.

Adding master with great weapon in a bigger Dark Rider unit, making it a bit more of a deathstar. This would mean removing exec or SoS…

Taking out executionner, replacing them with CoK. That means loosing KB to gain manoeuvrability… a good trade? Don’t know.

And idea of the scenario ;

#1 : 3 objective (on each deployment, one middle) for 15 pts. VP for 15 pts
#2 : 9 objective (table divided in 9 part). Each worth 1, center worth 7. VP for 15 pts
#3 : D3 Objective for 15 pts. VP for 15 pts
#4 : 6 objectives (centre = 5) for 15 pts. VP for 15 pts
#5 : give pts to your opponent army. Pick points for destroyed units. No VP.
#6 : VP for 30 pts
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Re: 2500, heading to the MSU territories....

Post by Dangerous Beans »

I'm not sure that I quite understand your scenario 'ideas' for the tournament (which are VERY important if you want to write a successful list, no matter what style / theme it uses).

I am quite impressed with Cold One Knights since we gained access to Beasts and other lores with good Augment spells, however even you are not using a Beasts mage (or Life so you can Regrowth the unit if it gets targetted by magic or shooting) I think that Soulblight (which you might have 2/3 of!) combined with Cold One Knights is much better than Soulblight is with Executioners; soulblight means that the ColdOne Knights armour save is much more useful and the cold one's strength 4 (and knights in round 2) is more effective against the lowered enemy toughness. You will need something to deal with enemy armour however as this is where the executioners are very useful - perhaps swapping 1 unit of executioners for 1 unit of knights would be the best overall idea?

If I were you I would consider swapping both units of Executioners for 2 units of 6 / 7 Cold One Knights, preferably with one using the 'Re-roll first failed Ld test' Banner (I forget its name). Alternatively you could combine both units into a second solid 'hammer', although this does not seem to fit with your theme very well!.

Are your characters riding anything?
Enkiel
Assassin

Re: 2500, heading to the MSU territories....

Post by Enkiel »

by "idea of the scenario", i meant, here's a summary of the scenario we will be playing.

right now, none of my character are mounted. Which might be a problem if i go with a death mage... that lore is, btw, slowly less appealing to me. Beast or good ol' Shadow sound better. Life, i tried, i hated.