Triple manticore list 2400 (can this work ?)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Triple manticore list 2400 (can this work ?)

Post by Lord Drakon »

Plan is simple: raaaargh !
Can this ever work ? :)

Hellebron on Manticore
Iron Skin, Blind Rage

Master on Manticore
Iron Skin, Blind Rage, Mundane armour, Dragonhelm, Luckstone, Lance

Master on Manticore
Iron Skin, Blind Rage, Mundane armour, Charmed shield, Dragonbane gem, potion of foolhardiness, Lance

2 x Dark riders, musician, RXB
15 witch elves, hag
15 witch elves, hag, standard bearer, banner of swiftness

3 x 5 cold one knights

2 x 5 warlocks
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: Triple manticore list 2400 (can this work ?)

Post by direweasel »

Do you know what you're putting it up against? That will go a long way to answering that.

Also, I think the cold ones are not well suited to this list. They don't do anything that isn't already getting done by something else. I'd use those points on something else, and I'm a guy that uses cold ones. But your playstyle might be totally different than mine too. I would switch them out for some shooting, and/or a lvl2 sorc with a dispel scroll. I know you have the warlocks but I think a little more magic might be more useful than cold ones.

But the focus of your list? 3 manticores? I know it can be done effectively, because I've done it. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Hahahahahahaha... I LOVE the battle plan. Do I think it will work? Depends... Against Strength 4, forget it. You lose.
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

That would be a very fun list to play :)
I think just the psychological factor of three manticores will help. It just seems to me the rest of the list is lacking something.
The manticores will draw all your opponents fire and attention, so I'd be tempted to group all those cold ones into a bigger unit with command to really hammer enemy units while they concentrate on the manticores.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice list, looks a lot of fun :)
Would it win tournaments? Probably not, but as a pick up game list it would present a challenge to some opponents.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

As I made a shade list and sort of allround list, focused on shooting, magic and manoeuvre I also wanted a crazy combat list.

@ Amboadine, you sort of suggested to make this, to focus instead on having it all haha. I will try these 3 lists for the coming time and see which playstyle I like most/

Therefore no shooting. I prefer MSU style in having multiple units instead of one, therefore also the 3 x 5 cold ones (stupidity can ruin the battle plan!). Hope to combine cold one charges with a manticore. I just advance so need high armour and speed, cold one knights were just the best option (I don't like chariots). Redirecting is much more difficult for multiple units and ofcourse the 3 mantis. I think Hellebron on Manti can take out really everything out there (she already can without manti).
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

My only issue with Hellebron on a Manti is that she's a sitting duck. She can't take any magic items for protection, and without the LOS! roll a single cannonball and that's, what, almost 500 points down the drain? I would skip Hellebron in favor of a Dreadlord. She's just too vulnerable.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Lord Drakon wrote:As I made a shade list and sort of allround list, focused on shooting, magic and manoeuvre I also wanted a crazy combat list.

@ Amboadine, you sort of suggested to make this, to focus instead on having it all haha. I will try these 3 lists for the coming time and see which playstyle I like most

I remember saying choose a style and focus, not sure I ever said stick three mantis into a list :) Hope it plays well for you though.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

I want this list to work :twisted:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Dark reaper
Highborn

Post by Dark reaper »

Amboadine wrote:I remember saying choose a style and focus, not sure I ever said stick three mantis into a list :)

That is basically the same thing though, isn't it? ;)

T.D. wrote:I want this list to work :twisted:

Me too.

I am not sure I really like the small units of Cold One Knigths though, those should be monsters! :D
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

List looks awesomely fun!

My gut reaction was that Direweasel was right that you could use more magic, and a lvl 2 of Beasts might work well giving you both a buff and hex with the warlocks.... BUT I think you just don't have the points.

Have you considered a High Beast Master instead Hellebron? He should be more survivable, and being able to dish out buffs could work better with the MSU style you are going for.

If you have all the models then please take a picture of this list in action, I bet it looks awesome.
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

I know nobody asked, but just as a point of comparison, here's how I'd do 2400 points with 3 manticores:

Dreadlord: Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cloak of Twilight, Glittering Scale Armor, Dawnstone, Lance, Manticore, Iron Skin

Master: Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Potion of Strength, Warrior Bane, Dawnstone, Manticore, Iron Skin

Master: BSB, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Lance, Manticore, Iron Skin

Lvl 2 Sorceress: Dispel Scroll

Darkshards (20): Shields, Standard, Champion

Dark Riders (5): Shields, xbows, musician, standard

Dark Riders (5): Shields, xbows, musician, standard

Witch Elves (29): Full Command, Razor Standard

Reaper Bolt Throwers (2)

Warlocks (5)

Warlocks (5)

Depending on the opponent and what you anticipate, you could break up the witches into smaller units. I set it up with the build to put the sorc into the witch unit, but you could put it in the shard unit too if you'd rather keep her back some. Depends on which lore you take most likely.

My list is missing the high strength hitting power of the cold ones that yours has, but you have manticores for that. And manticores aren't stupid. Instead it has a credible shooting phase and better magic.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Those three manticore are so mobile, that you can hit like a truck wherever you want. It will be a lot of fun. I would make your whole army more mobile to fit your characters. Otherwise only your characters are threatening against their whole army. By the time your infantry catches up it may be too late
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Direweasel: Good list but against my list you're dead I fear

If Hellebron meets your general = (8 - 10 STR 10 magical hits + 6 - 9 STR 5 hits with KB) your general (and manti) will be dead before he can strike.

Is it possible to get the - 2 to hit modifier if I put a manticore behind a unit of cold ones ?
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

What about

Hellebron on Manticore
Iron Skin, Blind Rage

Master on Manticore
Iron Skin, Blind Rage, Mundane armour, Dragonhelm, Luckstone, Lance

Master on Manticore
Iron Skin, Blind Rage, Mundane armour, Charmed shield, Dragonbane gem, potion of foolhardiness, Lance

15 witch elves, hag

1 x hydra
2 x K-beast

2 x 5 warlocks

I still need to buy 2 K-beasts and 2 manticors
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Wow, that would certainly be going all-in on the big nasty monster idea. I'd LOVE to see that bad boy in action.

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Bring on the monsters! Now that is definitely closer to what I meant by more focused :)
Thought about swapping Hellebron on manti for a Dragonlord?
Sangfroid
Executioner

Post by Sangfroid »

Don't know what your budget is but if you are buying new as opposed to eBay/trading then take a look at this manticore instead of the GW one

http://www.ragingheroes.com/products/manticore
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Concerning the manticores
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50#p903350

About the option between K-Beast and Hydra's (as I have to choose when I buy them). I already have a 8th Edition Hydra. For a list like this, what are the strategic advantages and weaknesses of both? Please hold in mind not the differences on their own (I saw those topics in tactica already) but in this fast all-out combat list.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Even got an more evil idea ! But it makes it not triple manticore anymore as the sorceress will simply become too expensive (or do I discard a monster for a manticore?)

But, as 5 units will have terror and 2 K-beast also add to this. Shroud of Despair will make this list a total terrorbomb, if not killing the enemy army just break them on the charges. She will come close to enemy lines, so do I have to combine the warlocks, or is she alright with a bodyguard of 5?

Supreme Sorceress on Dark Steed
LVL 4 Dark, CoT, Tome of Furion, Dispell Scroll
Shroud of Despair when the monstors and manticors crush into combat
++ 3 against shooting and magic, chillwind or word of pain for turn 1 and maybe 2 to target enemy warmachines/shooting.

Master on Manticore
Iron Skin, Mundane armour, Dragonhelm, Luckstone, Lance

Master on Manticore
Iron Skin, Mundane armour, Charmed shield, Dragonbane gem, potion of foolhardiness, Lance

15 witch elves, hag

1 x hydra
2 x K-beast

2 x 5 warlocks

I still need to buy 2 K-beasts and 2 manticors
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

She should be okay in a single unit, but the combined unit of warlocks will keep her far safer, and if she is pivotal in your plan this is probably a better approach. Make sure you find the points for a champion as well just in case you find yourself challenged.
You also can't have the Tome and scroll together as they are both Arcane. You shouldn't need the tome with a level 4, high chance you will get the spell anyway.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Amboadine wrote:She should be okay in a single unit, but the combined unit of warlocks will keep her far safer, and if she is pivotal in your plan this is probably a better approach. Make sure you find the points for a champion as well just in case you find yourself challenged.
You also can't have the Tome and scroll together as they are both Arcane. You shouldn't need the tome with a level 4, high chance you will get the spell anyway.

Thanks, do you think the shroud will make this list much more dangerous, or not that much ?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

If you can pull it off, against low leadership armies terrorbombs can be devastating. Shame there is not really the points for the Wailing banner as well :)
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

As long the Manti Guys never meet an enemy Charakter they dont kill with ASF i might be ok.

If they meet an Charakter dont dies by ASF they have a problem. The Enemy Charakter(I guess he would think "Ok cool a Wet Tissue") just kills the soft Manti and win the fight by "alot" and your poor Charakter on foot will run away.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Ya... The hope of this list I believe is that the manouverablity avoids fights like that.