Looking ahead to Buckeye

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Archamedius
Black Guard

Looking ahead to Buckeye

Post by Archamedius »

So I am finalizing my list for Buckeye Battles and would like some feedback. Buckeye is Swedish Comp for bands, so that needs to be kept in mind. The core of what I am taking looks like this:

2500 Pts - Dark Elves Roster

Total Roster Cost: 2406

Dreadlord (1#, 282 pts)
. . 1 Dreadlord, 182 pts = (base cost 140 + Dark Steed 20 + Repeater Crossbow 5 + Heavy Armour 6 + Sea Dragon Cloak 8 + Shield 3)
. . . . 1 Ogre Blade, 40 pts
. . . . 1 Black Amulet, 60 pts

Supreme Sorceress (1#, 310 pts)
. . 1 Supreme Sorceress, 240 pts = (base cost 185 + Dark Steed 20 + Level 4 Upgrade 35)
. . . . 1 Dispel Scroll, 25 pts
. . . . 1 Talisman of Preservation, 45 pts

Master (1#, 172 pts)
. . 1 Master (Battle Standard Bearer), 122 pts = (base cost 70 + Dark Steed 10 + Lance 4 + Repeater Crossbow 5 + Sea Dragon Cloak 6 + Shield 2 + Battle Standard Bearer 25)
. . . . 1 Armour of Destiny, 50 pts

Death Hag (4#, 355 pts)
. . 1 Death Hag, 115 pts = (base cost 85 + Witchbrew 30)
. . . . 1 Cauldron of Blood, 190 pts
. . . . 1 Obsidian Blade, 50 pts

Dark Riders (7#, 170 pts)
. . 6 Dark Riders, 140 pts = 6 * 20 (base cost 16 + Repeater Crossbow 3 + Shield 1) + Musician Mus 10 + Standard Bearer Std 10
. . . . 1 Herald, 30 pts = (base cost 26 + Repeater Crossbow 3 + Shield 1)

Dark Riders (5#, 120 pts)
. . 5 Dark Riders, 120 pts = 5 * 20 (base cost 16 + Repeater Crossbow 3 + Shield 1) + Musician Mus 10 + Standard Bearer Std 10

Dark Riders (5#, 120 pts)
. . 5 Dark Riders, 120 pts = 5 * 20 (base cost 16 + Repeater Crossbow 3 + Shield 1) + Musician Mus 10 + Standard Bearer Std 10

Witch Elves (28#, 348 pts)
. . 27 Witch Elves, 317 pts = 27 * 11 (base cost 11) + Musician Mus 10 + Standard Bearer Std 10
. . . . 1 Hag, 21 pts
. . . . 1 Banner of Eternal Flame, 10 pts

Har Ganeth Executioners (27#, 354 pts)
. . 26 Har Ganeth Executioners, 332 pts = 26 * 12 (base cost 12) + Musician Mus 10 + Standard Bearer Std 10
. . . . 1 Draich-master, 22 pts

Doomfire Warlocks (7#, 175 pts)
. . 7 Doomfire Warlocks, 175 pts = 7 * 25

Validation Report:
Army Subtype: Dark Elf Army; Edition: 8th Edition; Game Type: Normal Game; Special Rules: Forbid Chaos Dwarfs in WoC, Forbid Regiments of Renown; File Version: 2.74
Roster satisfies all enforced validation rules

Composition Report:
Points of Lords: 592 (0 - 625)
Points of Heroes: 527 (0 - 625)
Points of Core: 758 (625 - Unlimited)
Points of Special: 354 (0 - 1250)
Points of Rare: 175 (0 - 625)

As it stands, the list comes in around 4.5 Swedish Comp. I have 92 points to spend, but am not sure where to go. I feel like I lack in "ignore armor" for chariot spam, monster spam, and 1+ armor spam armies. I have run with bolt throwers in the past, but they have always been underwhelming from a performance standpoint (I always seem to miss a LOT especially thanks to shooting penalties) and for 4 you spend 40 comp points which is a ton when you consider how they do.

I am considering dropping the third unit of Dark Riders for a unit of shades or two, but fear that really is just replacing one type of chaff for another without any real gain. Even if I give them great weapons they will still struggle against higher toughness opponents.

Thoughts?

Arch
------

- Pain is Temporary, Knowledge is forever.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: Looking ahead to Buckeye

Post by direweasel »

Well I know you said you weren't big on them, but at the same time, I think you're right that you need something to punch armor. I would suggest maybe dropping to 5 warlocks and using those points, plus your surplus, for 2 bolt throwers. What kind of hit would that put on your comp score?

Alternatively, you could just use your 96 points left on 1 bolt thrower and 2 more witches.

Any idea what magic lore you're going to take for the sorc?
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Archamedius
Black Guard

Post by Archamedius »

Lore of Dark Magic on the Supreme Sorceress. I considered Death for all the spells that ignore armor, but I think I need word of pain too much for what it does to help my army. I considered making the hag my BSB and dropping the one I have for a level 2 dark with the tome so I can get word of pain in the army, but I am not sure that's a great option either as I have to find a place to put her.

I cannot go over 28 witch elves as that would skyrocket their Swedish comp cost.

2 bolt throwers is 16 comp cost, plus more potentially if my shooting score is driven too high.
------

- Pain is Temporary, Knowledge is forever.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Sorry - I am not up on the latest comp scores, since I haven't competed in a tourney with one for ... oh gosh ... 15 years at least.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I few things I think you should consider for buckeye.
The event is open lists, hence your witch elves with the banner of the eternal flame and the cauldron will be prime target for 2++ against fire lords. Death hag should be able to deal with heroes but even with obsidian blade she'll struggle against lords... And if she doesn't kill them first, she's dead. And then the unit after her.

Swedish comp hates warlocks. You need to either go all out, 10+ warlocks and front rank of characters... Or dismount your characters so they don't increase the warlocks' comp.

My first draft list was under 1 in Swedish... Then I realized that warlocks alone are not wworth being put in band 1. I reduced warlocks by 5 and put my supreme sorcerer on foot and suddenly it was really easy to get comp above 8 and into band 2.

Your list isn't strong enough to warrant band 1. You will fight an uphill battle in every day 1 matchup. I would either go all out brolock bus, or completely forget about it (small support unit of warlocks is more than enough) and shoot for band 2 or 3.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16