Hellebron 2500 Points - Hellebron's Hammers

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

BruceATL
Corsair

Hellebron 2500 Points - Hellebron's Hammers

Post by BruceATL »

So I've been running a more mundane version of this list with Dreadlord and SS. Since a couple of tourneys coming up allow special characters, I thought about bringing Hellebron.

Hellebron's Hammers

Crone Hellebron (1#, 310 pts)
1 Crone Hellebron, 310 pts

Master (1#, 134 pts)
1 Master, 94 pts = (base cost 70 + Cold One 12 + Heavy Armour 4 + Sea Dragon Cloak 6 + Shield 2)
1 Ogre Blade, 40 pts

Master (1#, 121 pts)
1 Master (Battle Standard Bearer), 121 pts = (base cost 70 + Cold One 12 + Great Weapon 4 + Heavy Armour 4 + Sea Dragon Cloak 6 + Battle Standard Bearer 25)

Death Hag (4#, 275 pts)
1 Death Hag, 85 pts
1 Cauldron of Blood, 190 pts

Witch Elves (30#, 405 pts)
29 Witch Elves, 339 pts = 29 * 11 (base cost 11) + Musician Mus 10 + Standard Bearer Std 10
1 Hag, 21 pts
1 Razor Standard, 45 pts

Dark Riders (5#, 110 pts)
5 Dark Riders, 110 pts = 5 * 20 (base cost 16 + Repeater Crossbow 3 + Shield 1) + Standard Bearer Std 10

Dark Riders (5#, 110 pts)
5 Dark Riders, 110 pts = 5 * 20 (base cost 16 + Repeater Crossbow 3 + Shield 1) + Standard Bearer Std 10

Cold One Knights (12#, 390 pts)
11 Cold One Knights, 350 pts = 11 * 30 (base cost 30) + Musician Mus 10 + Standard Bearer Std 10
1 Dread Knight, 40 pts

Supreme Sorceress (1#, 255 pts)
1 Supreme Sorceress, 240 pts = (base cost 185 + Dark Steed 20 + Level 4 Upgrade 35)
1 Channeling Staff, 15 pts
Lore of Life

Reaper Bolt Thrower (3#, 70 pts)
1 Reaper Bolt Thrower, 70 pts

Reaper Bolt Thrower (3#, 70 pts)
1 Reaper Bolt Thrower, 70 pts

Doomfire Warlocks (5#, 125 pts)
5 Doomfire Warlocks, 125 pts = 5 * 25

Doomfire Warlocks (5#, 125 pts)
5 Doomfire Warlocks, 125 pts = 5 * 25

Most glass cannon list I think I have ever made.... Like it or hate it?
Last edited by BruceATL on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red...
Generalissimo

Re: Hellebron 2500 Points - Hammer and Anvil

Post by Red... »

It looks like a strong list.

I'm a bit confused though - which unit is the hammer and which is the anvil? Both the Witches unit (which I assume has the COB and Hellebron in it too) and the Cold One Knights unit both look like hammers with the rest as supporting troops. Nothing wrong with that, just not sure that the title is correct (forgive my pedantry).

Only thing to be a little bit wary of is that the Witches unit totals up to over 1,000 points, which represents 40% of your entire points list. The unit will be very powerful, but a bit fragile - and an unlucky magic phase could really ruin your day (watch out for dwellers below!). Perhaps a dispel scroll would be more useful on the SS than the channeling staff, just to catch those unit killing spells before they hit you.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
BruceATL
Corsair

Post by BruceATL »

I use the Witch's more for the Anvil role. I rarely get the charge unless they roll horribly. Not much out there can take on the unit face to face so I try not to give opponents a choice. I might give the witches the movement banner instead of the razor standard. The fast cav and bolt throwers are for redirecting units. I usually flank with the Knights as the hammer. I hear ya on the dispel scroll, that's a good change if I can find 10 points somewhere like the razor standard.

An IF dwellers is going to happen sometimes, not much you can do about it except pull off about 15 witches and hope you don't lose Helle or the Cauldron.
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

I'd consider putting a ward or at least the dawnstone on your BSB.
I'm guessing he goes with the cold one knights, so how about give them the lichebone pennant, and him armour of destiny or ToP, for a 3++ against death snipes.
If your using the cold ones as a hammer, I'd think a lance would be better options for both the masters, you should get most of the extra points needed with that.
BruceATL
Corsair

Post by BruceATL »

Yeah the rerollable 1+ would be nice on the BSB. With taking out the Ogre Blade, that allows for the Dispel Scroll and Dawnstone. No ward saves unfortunately, but the SS's main job is to get Regen on the unit anyway.

Here's the revision: (added musicians to Dark Riders cause I forgot earlier)

Hellebron's Hammers (rename for Red :) )

Head Biatch, Crone Hellebron

Bus Driver, Master
Knight Bus

Bus Navigator, Master (1#,)
1 Master (Battle Standard Bearer) = ( Cold One Lance Sea Dragon Cloak Shield Battle Standard Bearer )
1 Dawnstone,
Knight Bus

Biatch in the Bath, Death Hag
1 Cauldron of Blood,

Da Pain, Witch Elves
30 Witch Elves, = 30 * Musician Mus Standard Bearer
1 Hag,
1 Banner of Swiftness,

Dogs of Khaine, Dark Riders (5#, )
5 Dark Riders, = 5 * (base cost + Repeater Crossbow Shield) + Musician Mus+ Standard Bearer Std

Malekith's Mutts, Dark Riders (5#,)
5 Dark Riders, = 5 * (base cost + Repeater Crossbow + Shield ) + Musician Mus + Standard Bearer Std
Da Bus, Cold One Knights (12#, )
11 Cold One Knights, = 11 (base cost) + Musician Mus + Standard Bearer Std
1 Dread Knight, pts

Enslaved Lady of the Lake, Supreme Sorceress (1#, )
1 Supreme Sorceress, = (base cost Dark Steed + Level 4 Upgrade
1 Dispel Scroll,
Lore of Life
In middle of Knight Bus

Dog Killers, Reaper Bolt Thrower (3#, )
1 Reaper Bolt Thrower,

Eagle Killers, Reaper Bolt Thrower (3#, )
1 Reaper Bolt Thrower,

Soulbubblers, Doomfire Warlocks (5#, )
5 Doomfire Warlocks,

Bubbleblighters, Doomfire Warlocks (5#,)
5 Doomfire Warlocks,

With the change of the banner I think the units will support each other better and get into combat faster. For this army, it's necessary to put the pressure on fast so that they can't avoid the Big Ass Witch unit. I can imagine the surprise from a WoC general when after the first turn, every thing in my army charges. :burns:
Last edited by BruceATL on Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Looks like an excellent list. I like the names - very fluffy and lots of fun :)

Report back how it goes!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Definitely a nice list. Should pack a punch and has some chaff in there to setup the important charges.
Looking forward to reports.
BruceATL
Corsair

Post by BruceATL »

This is the list I'm probably taking to the ATC (American Team Challenge) in Chattanooga next month. I've got a paired down version at 2250 I'll play at a local tourney in 2 weeks. I'll be sure and post in the Battle Reports section with a link here.
Harkonnen
Shade

Post by Harkonnen »

Nice list, i'm building a similar list but without chars so a dreadlord with str 7 and dawnstone instead of hellebron in the witches

There's 2 problems i can see with the list, and maybe options you might consider for solving them...
1. I think (if i would have to play against this list) opponent should capitalize on relative "squishyness" of knights T3. With focussed shooting/magic their numbers can be trimmed town quite fast.
2. Doing the above while misdirecting double-frenzied witches off the board, or feeding chaff into flank charges. (they have to test on 7+ every frenzycheck..)

I see you took lore of life to compensate for #1. While i agree life is extremely solid choice, a part of fixing problem 2 is removing chaff, and with life you might struggle to do that, if you want to go for the buffs. Dark might be alot better suited to remove that chaff. Even though you have warlocks aswell, 5+ to cast that doombolt is a big difference. Maybe then give MR3 to the knights...
Although that won't keep them safe from doomdivers or doomrocket fx (CoK-killers...), when you do have lore of life they just wait till 1 turn you don't have the toughness buff up and go to town on the knights...
The other problem can maybe be somewhat relieved by taking a unit of harpys (or less optimal shades) to screen them constantly, which will increase the chances of getting your 1000 points block where you want it, alot, i think..

Just food for thought :)
BruceATL
Corsair

Post by BruceATL »

Thanks for the tips Baron Harkonnen!

1) Yeah I could get more bodies going the executioner route and those dang lizards seem to always miss or fail to wound. But I have the knights (three generations of them actually), and I have a hard time dropping the cash on a full unit of death heads. ( I like the last metal version better) I used to run 10-12 but a unit of 15 with a couple of masters usually survives to get stuck-in fairly fast. I have yet to find a better bunker with my SS as well. So till I get the metal models (eBay is the DEVIL!), gotta love the lizzies!

I have cut and recut trying to get more strategic options in the list but I play shades horribly and harpies always fail me. Really, every time I put them on the board something goes wrong and they flee and take half my fast cav with them or they flee and allow a boxcar redirect into my Knights flank. I dabble at MSU but I have come to the fact that I stink at it. I like to keep my tactics basic and try to slightly modify my timing based on what my opponent is doing. I do like to pressure my opponent and give him hard choices. DE are movement 5 for a reason, actually my minimum is movement 6 but you get my point. not putting down MSU at all. I admire those that are tactically minded enough to win with it. I'm just not that guy.

2) The only problem I have had is with boatloads of skinks as far as chaff leading my WE's. Now I have had the annoying dog that has survived against all odds slow me down a turn but the BSB gives me a re-roll of that LD7 check and if I get flank charged, Helle will make way for some 8-10 Strength 10 re-rollable hugs.

Chaff removal teams are the 4 units of Fast Cav, Bolt Throwers, and the odd 6 dice boosted Doombolt. Warlocks are the best! I wish I could run 4 units of them, cause i would!

I used to run my Khorne beastman with cheap herd screeners. If I could afford the points I'd love to get a unit of sisters for this purpose.

So I guess the main "trick" of the army is to guide the nuclear witches into the correct target/s. They are good taking the charge or giving, really only matters a little with impacts. Hellebron takes care of armor but is kinda screwed against Banner of the World Dragon. Meh, thats why the cold one bus has no magic weapons.

Here is another reason for Hellebron instead of a kitted Dreadlord. Deadlord goes better in Cold Ones but that really hurts in the Break Them! scenario. Hellebron splits the points and fortitude better. This forces opponents to figure out how to get the points for the unit. Not much ranged is going to totally kill them except for a double dwellers. So that brings the opponents elite units closer. My witch unit (minus Hellebron) has only been beaten and run down in combat once. Hoarde grave guard with Big Vamp, Wight BSB, Soulblight active on my unit, and Doom and Darkness on my unit. Still only lost by 2...
Harkonnen
Shade

Re: Hellebron 2500 Points - Hellebron's Hammers

Post by Harkonnen »

Yeah, it can work well i think, and i know flanking the witches is no problem with hellebron there; Even a horde with more ranks than you will have problems overcoming the active CR of Hellebron, and chances of you breaking are really low. Would have to be a deathstar aswell.
However, having it frenzy off the side of the board while killing your other stuff can be a problem, or just leading it away from where the fight is happening... ;)

Well, a unit of warlocks or riders can screen them just fine aswell, i guess..
Dragonarmy
Warrior

Post by Dragonarmy »

I really appreciate you taking the time to post your lists. Instead of commenting on your list, this is the list I decided to run that is similar to yours.

Notice that:
- I didn't make the Master a BSB because he may be a redirector
- Likewise the level 2 mage is welcome to redirect. I wanted to scroll
- Crone probably goes into the unit of Sisters of Slaughter

2500 Pts - Dark Elves Roster

1 Dreadlord, 277 pts (full mundane), General
Dark Steed
Giant Blade
Dawnstone
The Other Trickster's Shard

Crone Hellebron

Death Hag
Cauldron of Blood
BSB

Sorceress
Dispel Scroll
The Lore of Dark Magic

Master (full mundane / Great Weapon / no shield)
Dark Steed (Fast Cavalry; Vanguard)
Dragonhelm
Luckstone

32 Witch Elves (Full Command)
1 Razor Standard

5 Dark Riders, Musician.
5 Dark Riders, Standard.

20 Sisters of Slaughter FC, Banner of Swiftness

9 Doomfire Warlocks w/ a master of warlock

1 Reaper Bolt Thrower
1 Reaper Bolt Thrower
BruceATL
Corsair

Post by BruceATL »

Nice army Dragonarmy :o_O: !

I like your use of the Warlock bus. I have been thinking of a viable 2 bus variant but I'm still noodle hammering it out.

Since you don't have stupidity, the BSB loss is not too great, but I always take one for insurance. Edit: Just saw you had the Hag as BSB, so all good.

Crone in the Sisters eh? Different, but testing on her own on a ld 7 with a re-roll, to charge out of the unit seems kinda suicidal? Sisters would pass the frenzy check on a 10 but Crone would have the double frenzy with the Ld7 and off she goes!

At least with the Cauldron of Witches they all go or they all pass the test. Just a couple of thoughts.